Photo

Teams/sponsors that never happened...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mondiale M85S

Mondiale M85S

• 153 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 21:00

Flicking through an old Autosport from 1994 at work today, it proudly announced that [the late, great] David Leslie was signing for Team Dynamics/Crinkley Bottom Racing in the BTCC..........

Noel and Steve Neal must have fell out as this didn't happen did it?

Can anyone think of anymore that were sort of announced but never happened for whatever reason?

Advertisement

#2 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 23:10

Surely the most famous sponsor that never happened was the Jordan/Vodafone case in the early 21st century... then Ferrari got the deal and EJ took them to court, and lost. Many sited this as the main reason for Jordan's demise.

#3 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:12

The Wrigley's Chewing Gum sponsored Brabhams of about 1975

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:48

How about the famous Capricorn Sea Food sponsorship of a Formula 1 car in 1972?

Apparently they paid for their logos and name etc to be painted all over the car, after that the team never received any money from them at all!

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 13:17

Think there's a few like that, e.g. Broker Magazine, Ado Ibrahim's t-minus brand. I suppose the team in the above example went from strength to strength?

This is where we need Pete F with his analysis of Alan Randall...

#6 isynge

isynge

• 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 13:42

Originally posted by ensign14
Think there's a few like that, e.g. Broker Magazine, Ado Ibrahim's t-minus brand. I suppose the team in the above example went from strength to strength?

This is where we need Pete F with his analysis of Alan Randall...

Coincidentally I was reading about Alan Randall and his Jags in a old 1992 edition of Motor Sport - it smacked of unrealism then, and I don't know that anyone was surprised when it didn't happen. Initially it was supposed to be an American 'software company' providing the finance, then an un-named Middle Eastern backer (I want to say Kuwaiti but don't have anything tangible to go on here). Can't unfortunately shed any additional light on his involvement with Brabham.

#7 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 17:35

After a press conference and showing of the sponsored car, ResQ Energy Drink didn't pay sponsorship money to Sarah Fisher. It left Fisher scrambling for money and sponsors for Indy 500.

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 17:58

Alan Randall?? Was it he that announced th Premier F1 Grand Prix series with a car representing a Premier league team???