Photo

Looking for more info on 1920s 'Voboril' car

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 circa1939

circa1939

• 63 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:14

Looking for more info, history, other photos (than what's on the Museum of american speed's site), etc. etc.

Here's the car in question....

http://www.museumofa.../Voboril1.shtml

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 2,964 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:22

I think the museum's caption
1919 T-based sprint car w/Roof Model C head; built by Voboril Bros in NE
says it all.

One of the many, many such devices.

#3 circa1939

circa1939

• 63 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 17:02

Originally posted by Allan Lupton
I think the museum's caption
1919 T-based sprint car w/Roof Model C head; built by Voboril Bros in NE
says it all.

One of the many, many such devices.

Well, not when you're looking for "more" info than that.:confused:
Hence my reason for opening the thread up to begin with.....

I'll be trying the museum again, and see what I may find going that route.

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:44

I wonder if you're not being a bit too optimistic, here and in general. Allan is right, there were many, many such devices. Some (very few) of them survived in barns or other places, got restored/beautified and are now displayed in museums. Specs may be gleaned from examining them there, but as for history, provenance, or even race results - C'mon! We're talking twenties, after all...

I am being carefully optimistic about (eventually) finding out race histories, more or less complete, of some of the better known Big Cars of the (late) thirties, but certainly no more than that. Let's face it, much of the twenties is real, tangible "dark ages" - too long gone, and not chronicled well enough in the first place to be "rescued" in any way. I feel the same about Midget Racing, incidentally. There will always be no end of tall tales, myths and apocryphal stories, but no real history as such - sorry folks, too late!

For "a laugh", I put the name Voboril in the search engine of NewspaperArchive, and the results for the period in question were about evenly split between Nebraska and Wisconsin papers. Concentrating on Nebraska, there were two threads to be followed, one a legal wrangle between one Anna Voboril and the International Harvester Co., and a divorce case - both appeared to involve a James Voboril, but the names of the wives were different. Any connection to racing? Well, the divorcé appears to have been a used car dealer, for what's it worth...

Still, there was one "hit": a preview of the 1925 Fourth-of-July races at Lincoln (NE), listing the entries: amongst the dozen or so cars and drivers, we find one E. J. Voboril in a Ford Special, and a Frank Voboril in an Olds Special. THE Voboril Brothers? I don't know. Best known driver in the list was Lawrence Hughes (Frontenac Special), who I have in several races over the next half dozen years or so, mostly in Iowa. Also, there's one Guy Geulin listed in a Ford Special, and I suspect that to be Guy Deulin and his rapid DO Fronty - although from the Northwest, he appears to have campaigned in the area from time to time.

Unless you are very lucky, chances are this is the most you will ever know about the car in the picture... :(

#5 Jim Dillon

Jim Dillon

• 21 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:37

Circa 1939, my .02 is keep searching no matter how many blind alleys. I searched for probably thirty years for a Packard Twin Six racer which pretty much everyone said did not exist. One night a guy out of the blue called me as to a Packard racer that was just found in the jungle in South America. Since then with that car that did not exist I have been to Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, Meadowbrook and the Glenmoor Gathering and had a great time along the way. The original intent to find something on this car back in 1969 set me on a quest to researching early auto racing and I would not trade that for all the world.

Michael may be onto something-follow that E. J Vaboril lead. If that does not pan out try Jack Fox's book The Illustrated History of Sprint Car Racing which may put you on the trail of some similar cars. Sometimes the journey is as much fun as the finish line. Following some leads can get infectious. There are some outlaw pictures out there. Ben Gotoff had a scrapbook of his 2nd tier racing days- I will take a look in what I have but there were so many early racecars your quest may take a bit of effort to say the least. You may have fun looking though. Good luck-Jim

#6 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,978 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:20

Is it possible Jan Voboril is any relation? David Kane??

#7 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 486 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:38

I believe that Jan left Czeckoslovakia in the late '60s so it's unlikely that he would be connected to a car raced in the US in the '20s-'30s
Anton

#8 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 542 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:44

According to an article on Jan Voboril, "....his father was the first to insure airlines in Czechoslovakia and eventually became vice-president of a large bank, until the end of the war (WW2)...." Doesn't sound like there was any connection with racing in America in his immediate family. Jan was born in 1943.

#9 circa1939

circa1939

• 63 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:16

Well, I was able to find out some more about the car and its drivers..... a fellow from the museum was a great one to talk with.

Seems that Frank and Ed Voboril from Dwight NE owned and drove the car. I actually came across a photo of an "Earnest" Voboril from WWI from taht same town,..I'm looking into if 'ED" and Earnest" were the same fellows??

#10 RStock

RStock

• 1,313 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 17:30

Originally posted by fines

For "a laugh", I put the name Voboril in the search engine of NewspaperArchive, and the results for the period in question were about evenly split between Nebraska and Wisconsin papers. Concentrating on Nebraska, there were two threads to be followed, one a legal wrangle between one Anna Voboril and the International Harvester Co.,

Hmm... Is that thing painted "Omaha Orange" ? ;)

Seems a rather refined car for 1919 . It looks much more "quality built" than many of the ones you see from that early . Certainly not a "back yard , shade tree" effort .

Circa1939 , if you want to spend some time poking about this site , there are numerous links to cars from that era , many tracks and races from the Kansas area , which the car may have competed at . You might turn up something .

http://www.winfield....wley/Links.html