Photo

Jason Watt

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:06

I, like many many others were very upset when Jason's shot at F1 came to naught after his motorcycle accident. I made an effort in my job to get to know the drivers I thought would make it into F1 from F3000/GP2, because it made it so much easier when they did, to get interviews etc. Jason was one of the guys who made it even easier, because he is a true "petrolhead", and it wasn't much of a surprise that he got back into racing, using hand controls. As a motorcyclist myself, I was wondering if Jason was missing it, because he couldn't do it any more. I'm sure Jason won't mind me passing this on, because it shows the determination that would have made him world champion in F1, he doesn't miss his motorcycling, he's still doing it!!

Posted Image

The rear wheels are retractable!!!

Advertisement

#2 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:21

:up:

#3 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:30

Originally posted by f1steveuk
I, like many many others were very upset when Jason's shot at F1 came to naught after his motorcycle accident. I made an effort in my job to get to know the drivers I thought would make it into F1 from F3000/GP2, because it made it so much easier when they did, to get interviews etc. Jason was one of the guys who made it even easier, because he is a true "petrolhead", and it wasn't much of a surprise that he got back into racing, using hand controls. As a motorcyclist myself, I was wondering if Jason was missing it, because he couldn't do it any more. I'm sure Jason won't mind me passing this on, because it shows the determination that would have made him world champion in F1, he doesn't miss his motorcycling, he's still doing it!!

I was really sad when I heard about Jason's accident. I was certain he was going to win F3000 the following year. I rated him higher than Junqueira, who went on to become champion. On talent I was certain he'd be an F1 driver eventually. I'm glad that Jason has been able to adapt and is enjoying himself with his bikes.

In terms of talent, I thought the 1999 F3000 crop was certainly fantastic. A great year, but a sad one, with Jason's accident and losing Gonzo as well :cry:

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 13:34

One showing how the support wheels work. Probably the greatest "what if" in motorsport, and today he genuinely doesn't think he's doing anything special!

Posted Image

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 14:11

He had a good CV but there's not enough to go on to suggest he'd have been big. He could have been a Hamilton, he could have been a Pantano; you can't really say.

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 14:23

Going out on track during support races, you watched, but rarely did you stop in your tracks and watch a driver who just looked visibly quicker/smoother/commited. Of the few times it happened to me, Alonso in F3000, Neel Jani, Montoya and Jason stand out. Everyone has their own opinion, but the times I stood track side during Jason's last F3000 season, to me, he looked the part, and his success, with hand controls, in his Seat just confirms it for me.

#7 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 15:03

Originally posted by f1steveuk
Going out on track during support races, you watched, but rarely did you stop in your tracks and watch a driver who just looked visibly quicker/smoother/commited. Of the few times it happened to me, Alonso in F3000, Neel Jani, Montoya and Jason stand out. Everyone has their own opinion, but the times I stood track side during Jason's last F3000 season, to me, he looked the part, and his success, with hand controls, in his Seat just confirms it for me.

I never got to watch trackside, but he definitely looked the business. Very solid campaign. A standout, along with Heidfeld and Rodriguez during the year.

Was Alonso still racing in Nissan Open at this point? I remember him being very quick in F3000 in a yellow Telefonica liveried car, but that might have been a year or so later.

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 15:51

It was a couple of years later. I got to see Alonso in the F3000 support race at Monza, and a little later, the Minardi shoot out, where he took the others to pieces, it was obvious that he was a very quick chap!

#9 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 00:55

...and Jason also happens to be a super bloke... :up:

#10 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:11

Originally posted by Bonde
...and Jason also happens to be a super bloke... :up:

That's what I recall too...there are many cases of success changing someone, but when the cards dealt are less than promising, it is even more impressive to hear that he tackles everything with such vigour and remains one of the good guys.

#11 ivandjj

ivandjj

• 107 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 13:45

watching from the trackside i remember richard westbrook blowing watt (and everyone else) away in f opel lotus at imola 95'. but watt, like rodriguez looked better in higher powered cars so, who knows.

i guess they both would've been big as racers in regazzoni/alesi mould, not so much by results.