Photo

Elva Porsche (merged)

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:17

Let's get some input on an early 60s sports racer that always intrigued me. This would be the Elva Porsche, that great cooperation between Frank Nichols and Porsche that saw 1.8 liter Porsche flat fours inserted into modified Elva Mk VIIs. I believe that Ollie Schmidt, a US Porsche distributor, and Carl Haas, then the US Elva importer, got together and got the project started as a replacement for the obsolescent Porsche 718 and to move the Elva up a notch.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were around 18 or so of these cars built, a goodly number of which came to the US. Some remained in Europe and I believe that Porsche may have hill climbed with them. I even seem to recall that Porsche may have put a flat 8 into one.

Over here, I am aware of new cars being delivered to Ollie Schmidt, who retained three for his USRRC team in 1964. Ed Weschler had one for Bill Wuesthoff. Others went to Joe Buzzetta and Lee Hall. I seem to recall that George Wintersteen and Bob Brown may each have had one in early 1964. Ernie Erickson had a pale yellow example which he ran through 1967 when he retired.

The finest moment for the Elva Porsche, of course, was its professional debut win in the 1963 Road America 500. Ollie Schmidt entered his first car for Bill Wuesthoff who ran in the top several places for the 376 miles he drove. Wuesthoff was to drive solo, but tired and turned the wheel over to Augie Pabst who had driven the first half of the race in the Mecom Racing Team Ferrari GTO. Pabst had never sat in the car before, but took the wheel and promptly spun at turn five and stalled the car. Augie was in a near panic because he did not know which switch did what! Of course he eventually punched the right button, the engine started, and he drove on, winning the race by about three miles over the second place Cobra of Ken Miles and Bob Holbert.

Wuesthoff won the 1964 USRRC under two liter championship, finishing second overall in the series behind Jim Hall.

Lee Hall took his Elva Porsche to the 1964 SCCA class E Modified championship.

Over the next several years the Elva Porsches changed hands many times. The Lee Hall car, for example, went to Mike Rahal, who campaigned it for a couple years. Incidentally, that car is now owned by son Bobby, who has had it restored to its 1964 Lee Hall colors.

Anyone else want to chime in with anything? Who owned the rest of the original cars? Where are they now?

Edited by RA Historian, 20 August 2009 - 01:20.

Advertisement

#2 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:21

Posted Image
RA Historian: Here are a couple of the yellow Elva Mk7/ Porsches of Ollie Schmidt as seen at Augusta in 1964.
photo lent site Richard Macon

#3 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:15

"Who owned the rest of the original cars"

I made a little list...besides the ones you mentioned, these guys apparently raced them...Herb Swan, Chuck Dietrich, Charlie Hayes and Ralph Treischmann (for Ollie Schmidt), Hap Sharp, Bob Markley, Skip Scott, Lothar Motschenbacher, Don Wester, James Johnston, Slim Nelson, Bud Seaverns, Peter Goetz, Frank Wildman, Ralph Wood, Allan Friedland, Bill Bowman, Bruce Jennings, Jerry Titus (for Vasek Polak), and Robert Bright (phew!)

One was (is?) for sale at this webpage:

http://www.elva.com/...lva-70-030.html

Also, Larry Wilson in South Carolina has (had?) one.

Vince H.

#4 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:54

Can anyone put chassis numbers against the drivers of these cars please?
Terry

#5 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 13:22

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
"I made a little list...besides the ones you mentioned, these guys apparently raced them...Herb Swan, Chuck Dietrich, Charlie Hayes and Ralph Treischmann (for Ollie Schmidt), Hap Sharp, Bob Markley, Skip Scott, Lothar Motschenbacher, Don Wester, James Johnston, Slim Nelson, Bud Seaverns, Peter Goetz, Frank Wildman, Ralph Wood, Allan Friedland, Bill Bowman, Bruce Jennings, Jerry Titus (for Vasek Polak), and Robert Bright (phew!)

One was (is?) for sale at this webpage:

http://www.elva.com/...lva-70-030.html

Thanks Vince.
The list brought up some memories. As I recall, Hap Sharp drove the first car in its "shakedown" race, a small SCCA Regional at Wilmot Hills, Wis., the week before the 500 and won. Ollie Schmidt ran three cars in the 1964 USRRC with Charlie Hayes as a season long driver and Bob Markley usually in a second car. The third car seemed to have a revolving door of drivers including Chuck Dietrich, Ralph Treischmann, and Don Wester. I had forgotten all about the James Johnston car; I think it was white and ran rather sparingly.

Second owner Elva Porsches were raced around here not only by Mike Rahal but also by Bill Tuttle, Ralph Treischmann, Joe Jann, and others whose names I have temporarily forgot.

The Ed Weschler Elva Porsche which Bill Wuesthoff used to win the 1964 USRRC U-2 class was sold to Bill Kimberly, who drove it to eighth overall, second in U-2 at the 1965 Road America 500, co-drilven by Denise McCluggage.

(An aside: Happy Birthday to Denise who just turned a spry 80! )

The white car that is listed for sale is interesting; I wonder whose car it was?

Thanks for the picture, Jerry. There are two yellow Elva Porsches of Ollie in the photo. He ran two yellow and one white car in 1964. The body work at the left front is the rear of one of the Chaparral 2s. In the background can be seen the Meister Brauser transporter.

I agree with Terry, it would be interesting to match the cars and ownership with chassis numbers. Always an easy project :lol:
Tom

#6 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 19:07

there was one for sale in the UK a couple of years ago with Steve Worrad at Maverick Motorsport, the guy from whom I bought my car.

White with blue stripes if I recall

http://myweb.tiscali...racecar/pandora

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 23:32

Originally posted by Mistron
there was one for sale in the UK a couple of years ago with Steve Worrad at Maverick Motorsport, the guy from whom I bought my car.

White with blue stripes if I recall http://myweb.tiscali...racecar/pandora

I recall the ads. I wondered at the time, and still wonder, if that may have been the same car I saw run in the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival in Sept., 1995, then owned by Bruce McCaw and liveried the same.

#8 elvaMKII

elvaMKII

• 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:22

Has anyone ever seen a photo of the MK II that Mike Rahal drove at the 1963 USSRC race at Daytona? I saw Bobby at last week's Monerey Historics and should have asked him about his dad's MK II. I will next time. The presence of a KAMM 1960's style rear end on my MK II makes me think it might have been added for USSRC or other big time races. Bob Engberg

#9 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:28

I found it interesting that, a few years ago when Porsche was the honored marque at the Monterey Historics, there was not a single Elva-Porsche to be seen. Kind of a bastard stepchild, I guess.
Anton

#10 NGSmith

NGSmith

• 137 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:39

In our race group at the Wine Country Classic in Sonoma this year, Bill Perrone from Hunnington Beach entered a 64 Elva Porsche that if I remember correctly he just recently purchased.

Nick

#11 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 14:45

Sven Carrhage drove a silver one in 1965 (Mainz-Finthen)...and in 1966 in the Swedish Sportscar Championship
will post a picture later..
cheers Marty

Posted Image

#12 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 15:50

The price asked for #030 seems stunning for an Elva:- $350,000! Any confirmation of these sort of prices available?

#13 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 15:55

Maybe GeorgeTheCar can confirm or infirm, but didn't a Canadian driver also own one? Either Wayne Kelly, Bob McLean or Ludwig Heimrath, Sr.?

#14 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 00:00

Humph! Missed this thread. How'd I manage that? :

I'll be back soon with some Elva Porsche snaps that I took at Mosport in period.

FLB: No, I don't think that either of the three Canadians you list immediately above ever piloted an Elva Porsche. At least not at Mosport. Subject to confirmation by GTC.

#15 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 15:39

There has been so much interest in this I thought this photo will make an addition. It is Mike Beckwith testing the Elva-Porsche at Brands Hatch.

Posted Image

#16 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 17:04

Originally posted by David Birchall
The price asked for #030 seems stunning for an Elva:- $350,000! Any confirmation of these sort of prices available?

Apparently the Porsche 4 cam engines are incredibly expensive - they used to talk about £60,000 for a rebuild!!
A normal Elva BMW in good condition must be £75,000
Porsche engine is presumably a similar amount (at that price I assume it has the right/expensive engine?).
That makes $300,000 without allowing for it being a very rare, supposedly desirable car.

I can see how someone might come up with that price (from the sellers point of view, whether purchasers agree is another matter), personally I'd go for the cheaper BMW version which is presumably quicker!

#17 NGSmith

NGSmith

• 137 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 17:39

Here is an article from Competition Press 9/14/63

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Gregory

Gregory

• 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:28

Elva Porsche 70P/057 History

As the owner of Elva Porsche 70P/057 and I am trying to trace the history of the car. It was built in August 1964 and sold through Carl Haas to Ollie Schmidt. Carl was the Elva importer and Ollie was a Porsche distributor, both were located in Chicago. The car left the Elva factory with no engine or transmission. I understand that Ollie installed engine # 99104 which is a 2 liter 4 cam. The car is one of 19 Elva Porsches and one of 2 which originally had a 2 liter motor.

Other distinguishing features of the car are a small duck tail and brake scoops on the rear fenders. I know these features were present in 1968 but I am not sure if they are original. The car was orange in 1968 but was originally yellow.

I have traced the history back from the present day to 1968 when it was owned by Joe Jann of Elk Grove, Illinois. I understand Joe blew the motor in 1968 but I have no other knowledge of his ownership. Joe was 2nd in the under 2 liter class in an Elva Porsche at the 1968 USRRC race at Road America but I believe this was in George Dickinson’s car.

Tracing the history from 1964 is difficult because my car was one of 4 owned by Ollie who ran the Elva Porsche racing team known as Scuderia Tin Can. Three of the team cars were yellow and one was white. The Team usually ran 3 cars per event in the USRRC series in 1964 and 1965.

Of course the most interesting history for a vintage race car is the period history, which is the part I am missing. I would greatly appreciate any applicable stories, knowledge, pictures or contacts which involve Ollie Schmidt, Joe Jann or any owners or drivers there may have been between them.

#19 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:46

Hi Greg

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing your car. Hopefully someone can help you with the history. Here is a link to a photo of the Charlie Hayes car at the 1964 Augusta USRRC.

http://www.racingspo...4-03-01-077.jpg

Charlie posts on this forum. Maybe he can help you out. Also, more at this thread:

http://forums.autosp...?threadid=92979

Vince Howlett

Advertisement

#20 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 15:46

Posted Image
John Cannon in Ollie Schmidt's Elva/Porsche
That is John Morton in the Lotus 23.

photo Kirby Guyer collection

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 15:52

Posted Image
John Cannon in the Ollie Schmidt Elva/Porsche
John Morton in the Lotus 23

photo Kirby Guyer collection

#22 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 22:22

:wave:

What Mk7 was used by the Rhodesian driver Dr. Dawie Simon Gous at the 1965 Angola Grand Prix? It had a Porsche engine, was painted "Lotus Green" with a longitudinal yellow stripe and raced with #12, finishing 5th.
I presume it was raced in other SA races too.

Thank you,

Regards
Luis

#23 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 22:37

That's apparently how and when it started:

Posted Image
Source: Autosport 02/07/1965

#24 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 22:53

Thank you r.atlos, that's agood starting point.
Now it's time to find out what chassis was it?

Regards
Luis

#25 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 23:19

Friends:

70P/021 is now owned by a gent in Florida. It was formerly owned by Dr. Bill Jackson, a friend of mine here in Colorado. It's the earliest chassis I know of.

70P/069, now in the Collier collection, was once owned by my friend Norm Martin, then of Lakewood, Colorado. Supposedly it's the last Mark 7 (so given 021 above, the 19 Elva-Porsche chassis numbers must not be consecutive). Norm bought it from Peter Thoms in the San Francisco area in the late 1970s. Peter evidently bought it from a couple of engineers who tinkered with it and didn’t run it much, so it was pristine and drove like new. While Peter had it, he took the body to a paint shop for a respray. When finished, he loaded it back on his pickup and was tooling down I-5. The body was improperly secured and fell off the truck, was run over by an 18-wheeler, and reduced to confetti! He then put on a Calif-style sports-racer body, which is how Norm bought it. Norm took it to a Porsche Club event at Aspen Raceways, but the hydraulic clutch cylinder failed. I offered to fix it in exchange for a drive, but we couldn't find the right seals in the area, so I never got the drive. Norm sold the car to former VW distributor and vintage-racer Don Marsh, in Ohio, who had it rebodied to original, then it went to the Colliers.

Frank

#26 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:56

I was at Wilmot Wis.racetrack when Ollie and Hap Sharp and Frank Nichols showed up with the first Elva/Porsche. He set a new lap record that day. was surprised to see Hap there from Texas.

#27 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:59

Ernie Erickson wanted an Elva/Porsche also but couldnt get one from Ollie so he built his own with uprite engine instread of flat

#28 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 15:07

Originally posted by xkssFrankOpalka
I was at Wilmot Wis.racetrack when Ollie and Hap Sharp and Frank Nichols showed up with the first Elva/Porsche. He set a new lap record that day. was surprised to see Hap there from Texas.

An SCCA REgional in August, 1963, just a week before the RA 500. This was the first time out for the car and Hap Sharp was imported to shake it down. He won. The car then won the next week with Bill Wuesthoff and Augie Pabst driving.

I have seen some info that this is the car that is in the Collier Museum, but if it was the first it would not have the late serial # that seems to be on the Collier car. Any info as to where this RA 500 winning car is?
Tom

#29 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 20:26

Tom:

So far, my searching shows that these cars were delivered to the US in 1963:

70/P030: first production car, second built, flat-fan 547/5 1.7-liter 4-cam originally designed for ‘61-62 F1 cars, sold to Ollie Schmidt, Chicago, driven by Hap Sharp; now in La Jolla, CA; will be at Amelia Island ‘09; former owner Ray Morgan, Atlanta; 1 of 17 customer cars, 2 prototypes (1 at Porsche, never raced; 1 Wuesthoff/Pabst win, Road America USRRC). Reportedly for sale.

70P/031: Engine 547/5A, 1708cc , 180hp. Delivered by Carl Haas, raced in Southeastern US, retains original engine and trans. Now in Nevada collection.

Others followed in 1964.

Frank

#30 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 14:26

Re my statement way back in post #14... Defining "soon" as about 1-1/2 years. :

Below, Bill Wuestoff's lovely Elva Mk7-Porsche. Canadian GP(for sportscars)@ Mosport, 1963.

Posted Image

Joe Buzzeta's Elva Porsche @ Mosport for Canadian GP, again for sportscars. 1964. Two images.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lastly, not a Porsche-powered car, Herb Swan's neat little Elva-BMW again @ Mosport for the 1965 running of the Player's 200. Later in the year at the Canadain GP, the car was burned out utterly. :(

Posted Image

#31 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 16:13

Originally posted by Manfred Cubenoggin
Re my statement way back in post #14... Defining "soon" as about 1-1/2 years. :

Better late than never, Manfred! Thanks for posting the pics.
Tom

#32 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:48

Joe Buzzetas Porsche was Flat fuel injected engine much faster than the carb cars as I found out in the race, thought I saw the car at the Collier Museum n Florida.

#33 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 22:24

The car seen at the Collier Museum is #P70-069. This comes right out of my Collier volunteer training notebook I was given in 1990 when the museum opened. This car may have been owned by Joe Pendergast at one time.

#34 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:27

I think there is a large pic of Buzetta on the wall over the Elva Porsche car, seemed to imply that was his car. I raced against Jim Scott at Wilmot in his Elva BMW which was new, I had my Cooper Monaco/ Maserati. We were turning equal times.

#35 Gregory

Gregory

• 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:33

Posted Image copyright 2009 Tom Schultz

I have gathered much information since I last posted to this forum. Thank you all to helped. I am hoping for some more tidbits....

As the owner of Elva Porsche 70P/057 and I am trying to trace the history of the car. It was built in August 1964 and sold through Carl Haas to Ollie Schmidt. Carl was the Elva importer and Ollie was a Porsche distributor, both were located in Chicago. The car left the Elva factory with no engine or transmission. I understand that Ollie installed engine # 99104 which is a 2 liter 4 cam. The car is one of 19 Elva Porsches and one of 2 which originally had a 2 liter motor.

Other distinguishing features of the car are a small duck tail and brake scoops on the rear fenders. These features were present in the car’s first race. This event was at the Road America USRRC in September 1964. The car was entered by Ollie Schmidt and driven by Ralph Treischmann. Ralph is pictured above in the car at this event.

My car was one of 4 owned by Ollie who ran the Elva Porsche racing team known as Scuderia Tin Can. Three of the team cars were yellow and one was white. The Team usually ran 3 cars per event in the USRRC series in 1964.

I have no record of the car between September 1964 and 1968.

I have traced the history back from the present day to 1968 when it was owned by Joe Jann of Elk Grove, Illinois. I understand Joe blew the motor in 1968 but I have no other knowledge of his ownership. Joe was 2nd in the under 2 liter class in an Elva Porsche at the 1968 USRRC race at Road America but this was in George Dickinson’s car. When Joe sold the car in 1970 it was orange and had rearward sloping roll bar braces.

Of course the most interesting history for a vintage race car is the period history, which is the part I am missing. I would greatly appreciate any applicable stories, knowledge, pictures or contacts which involve Ollie Schmidt, Ralph Treischmann, Joe Jann or any owners or drivers there may have been between them.

Edited by Gregory, 26 May 2009 - 01:37.

#36 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:42

Posted Image copyright 2009 Tom Schultz

I have gathered much information since I last posted to this forum. Thank you all to helped. I am hoping for some more tidbits....

Other distinguishing features of the car are a small duck tail and brake scoops on the rear fenders. These features were present in the car’s first race. This event was at the Road America USRRC in September 1964. The car was entered by Ollie Schmidt and driven by Ralph Treischmann. Ralph is pictured above in the car at this event.

My car was one of 4 owned by Ollie who ran the Elva Porsche racing team known as Scuderia Tin Can. Three of the team cars were yellow and one was white. The Team usually ran 3 cars per event in the USRRC series in 1964.

I have no record of the car between September 1964 and 1968.

I have traced the history back from the present day to 1968 when it was owned by Joe Jann of Elk Grove, Illinois. I understand Joe blew the motor in 1968 but I have no other knowledge of his ownership. Joe was 2nd in the under 2 liter class in an Elva Porsche at the 1968 USRRC race at Road America but this was in George Dickinson’s car. When Joe sold the car in 1970 it was orange and had rearward sloping roll bar braces.

Of course the most interesting history for a vintage race car is the period history, which is the part I am missing. I would greatly appreciate any applicable stories, knowledge, pictures or contacts which involve Ollie Schmidt, Ralph Treischmann, Joe Jann or any owners or drivers there may have been between them.

Gregory: Do you have numbers of that particular car used at Elkhart or Meadowdale or anywhere else it may have raced I was sorting negs the other night and I recall seeing Ollie in one of the cars. I an attaching a shot of Curt Gonstead in and Elva/Porsche and the photo is from Meadowdale. I might have Carl Haas in the car you are talking about at Wilmot. Let me know the numbers if you have them. Regards, Ron Nelson also, a lot of my stuff is on my web site....www.prairiestreetart.com take a look. http://img198.images...onst96ra011.jpg
Posted Image

#37 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:47

I an attaching a shot of Curt Gonstead in and Elva/Porsche and the photo is from Meadowdale.

Curt Gonstead apparently drove a Lotus 23 in 1963, including Meadowdale. This photo shows a Lotus 23.

Vince H.

#38 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:34

Curt Gonstead apparently drove a Lotus 23 in 1963, including Meadowdale. This photo shows a Lotus 23.

Vince H.

Whoops! I hit the wrong file. Here is I believe Ralph Scott coming out of the pits and I think it must be one of the Schmidt cars. http://img132.images...orschers961.jpgPosted Image

#39 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:09

Whoops! I hit the wrong file. Here is I believe Ralph Scott coming out of the pits and I think it must be one of the Schmidt cars. http://img132.images...orschers961.jpg[/img]

Ron, that is G. Ralph Scott in his own Elva Mk VII at the 1965 RA 500. It is not a Schmidt car. Ollie was not running in 1965 and when he did the year before it was with two yellow and one white car.
Tom

Advertisement

#40 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 19:53

Tom should we not include Augie and Bill W's win at the Road America 500 beating the factory Cobras?

#41 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 00:50

Tom should we not include Augie and Bill W's win at the Road America 500 beating the factory Cobras?

That was in Sept. 1963.

#42 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:03

That was in Sept. 1963.

Tom: good to hear from you. I am pretty sure the photo posted here is Bill Wuesthoff in the car at Meadowdale. Any numbers on the two yellow cars and the white one. I will put up what I have here. Ron
http://img30.imagesh.../wwelpors72.jpgPosted Image

#43 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 17:31

Hi Ron,

Your photo just above of Bill Wuesthoff in the silver and blue Elva Porsche was at Meadowdale in August, 1964, for the USRRC race. Wuesthoff was seventh overall, second U/2. His teammate Joe Buzzetta was the U/2 winner that day.

The Schmidt cars usually ran numbers 74, 75, 76.

Excellent photo, by the way. It appears to have been taken at the sharp left hander after the track came up from the valley. In the backgound, obscured by brush, is the elevated (!) main straight. As you can see, there was not much runoff area at most places at Meadowdale.

Tom

#44 Gregory Campbell

Gregory Campbell

• 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 00:41

Several questions have been asked in this string. I will attempt to answer as many as I can and then ask some of my own.

There were 19 Elva Porsches built. The serial numbers are not contiguous. Car #38 went to the Porsche factory, had a an 8 cyl, 4 cam motor installed and was second in the 1964 European Hillclimb championship. The car in the Collier Museum is #69 but it is not the one which won the 1963 Road America race. Ollie Schmidt had a 4 car team. The white car was #30. This is the one that sold recently for $300k or so. I believe this was an all time high for an Elva Porsche. Other recent prices have been $170k to $250k. The 3rd yellow one was #57 (my car). The Lee Hall car was #40. The Bill Westoff car was #33. The Joe Buzzetta car was #39. If anyone can send some more pictures and/or tell me what colours some of the original owner cars were I can probably identify some more serial #'s. The white/blue one which has been for sale for a few times in the last few years is the same one that Bruce McCaw drove at RA in 1995. Bill Perrone's car is #48. The John Cannon/ Ollie Schmidt photo which was posted is of car #57 and is at Riverside in October 1964. Car #21 is not an Elva Porsche according to the factory records. Factory records also state that cars #30 and #31 were not built until February 1964.

I am trying to confirm the number of the 1963 Road America winning car. It is either #24 or #25. I am also trying to determine information on the Ernie Erickson car which was entered in the same race. It is listed in the program as an Elva Porsche Mk VII. However the winning Elva Porsche was supposed to be the only one in existence at the time? Ernie is thought to have put a Porsche 4 cam motor in an Elva Mk VI for the 1962 season. Does anyone have a photo or data on either of these cars.

#45 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:07

I am trying to confirm the number of the 1963 Road America winning car. It is either #24 or #25. I am also trying to determine information on the Ernie Erickson car which was entered in the same race. It is listed in the program as an Elva Porsche Mk VII. However the winning Elva Porsche was supposed to be the only one in existence at the time? Ernie is thought to have put a Porsche 4 cam motor in an Elva Mk VI for the 1962 season. Does anyone have a photo or data on either of these cars.

Hi Greg

Have you seen these?

http://www.racingspo...3-09-08-076.jpg

http://www.racingspo...3-09-08-027.jpg

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#46 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 13:33

I am also trying to determine information on the Ernie Erickson car which was entered in the same race. It is listed in the program as an Elva Porsche Mk VII. However the winning Elva Porsche was supposed to be the only one in existence at the time? Ernie is thought to have put a Porsche 4 cam motor in an Elva Mk VI for the 1962 season. Does anyone have a photo or data on either of these cars.

Never heard of an Erickson Elva Mk VI-Porsche. To the best of my knowledge Erickson only had a pale yellow RS-60 Spyder in the years 1960-63. It was in late 1963 that Ernie debuted his Elva Porsche. As I understand it, Erickson put this car together independently of the factory by essentially plugging an RS-60 four cam into the back of an Elva Mk VII. Externally it can be recognized by a different engine cover than the works built cars. While they all had a flat deck with a round intake for the horizontal cooling fan and two small bulges for the engine air intakes, Erickson's car had a large bulge on the rear deck covering the engine which I think still had the upright cooling fan.

I saw Erickson drive this car many times in the years 1963-1967, after which he retired. Got some good pictures of it, including paddock shots. I'll have to get Jerry to post them for me.

Tom

#47 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 15:31

Posted Image
Ernie Erickson's Elva Porsche

This is the car Tom has been talking about.

photo- Tom Schultz
copyright 2009- Tom Schultz

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 August 2009 - 15:37.

#48 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:03

Posted Image
Ernie Erickson's Elva Porsche

This is the car Tom has been talking about.

photo- Tom Schultz
copyright 2009- Tom Schultz

Here is Ernie going up from corner 12. Have another if I can locate I will post. Wasn't the winning car driven by Wuesthoff and Pabst #76? Regards, Ron Nelson
http://img196.images...elvaporee72.jpgPosted ImagePosted Image

#49 grandprix61

grandprix61

• 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:16

Hi Greg

Have you seen these?

http://www.racingspo...3-09-08-076.jpg

http://www.racingspo...3-09-08-027.jpg

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

Greg: here is a shot of the winning car pulling into the pits after the checkered flag. Frank Nichols and Carl Haas along with Ollie Schmidt can be seen in the photo. For more Elva photographs I have a new page on my web site - Elva and more. check it out there are some interesting things there. www.prairiestreetart.com regards, Ron
http://img31.imagesh...vabook72016.jpgPosted Image

#50 Gregory Campbell

Gregory Campbell

• 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 22:18

Fantastic additions guys. Thank you so much.

I am trying to determine if Ernie's car was an Elva Porsche prototype or an ordinary Elva MkVII in which he put his own Porsche motor. The prototype was not built until August 1963. What is the earliest date Ernie's MKVII appeared?

Ron, great photos on your site. I will contact you directly.

BTW the numbers I listed earlier are serial numbers (not racing numbers) and they should all actually have read: 70P/0##.
Here is an updated list of serial numbers, original colour and original owners. If anyone has contradictions or additions please let me know.

70P/024 yellow, ?
70/025 yellow, Ollie Schmidt, prototype, Road America winner, now in Hamburg Museum
70P/030 white, Ollie Schmidt
70P/031 green, ?
70P/032 yellow, Ollie Schmidt, single hump rear bodywork, may have originally had vertical fan motor,
70P/033 silver, Wesler/Wuestoff
70P/035 red, ?
70P/038 silver, Porsche, raced in Europe in 1964, 8 cyl motor, currently vintage raced with flat 6 motor
70P/039 silver, Joe Buzzetta
70P/040 silver, Lee Hall, currently owned by Bobby Rahal
70P/044 silver, Sepp Greger, raced in Europe in 1964, left hand drive
70P/045 white/blue, ?
70P/048 red, ?
70P/050 silver, ?
70P/054 silver, ?
70P/057 yellow, Ollie Schmidt, 2 liter motor, duck tail and brake scoops
70P/068 red, ?
70P/069 silver, ?, currently in Collier Museum