Photo

Historic Lotus cover photos

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PeterTRoss

PeterTRoss

• 89 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:13

It is difficult to find good ‘in-period’ colour photographs in ‘portrait’ orientation for use on the cover of a magazine, and I need your help to identify the source of this one.

Posted Image

It shows Jochen Rindt leading the 1970 French GP at Clermont-Ferrand in a Lotus 72. I found it on the website www/zip.4chan.org, and although bookmarked (http://zip.4chan.org...es/1075037.html) it no longer exists (I get a page saying “404 not found”) and there appears to be no way to contact them.

I need the image at a resolution of about 500 dpi or better. Can anyone help find the source? can you name the cars and drivers in 2nd and 3rd position?

Any other suggestions for portrait-orientated in-period colour images of Lotus cars would be most welcome.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Ross
Editor “Historic Lotus”

Advertisement

#2 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:19

Hello Peter,
It looks like Henri Pescarolo in the Matra, Pedro Rodriguez in the BRM and Jack Brabham. I know Rindt won this race but I'm not quite sure whether he would be leading at this stage - Jean-Pierre Beltoise and Jacky Ickx may be up ahead.

I'll have a think about any other good 'portrait' Lotus shots.

John

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:34

The photo can only have been taken in the first five or six laps of the race (before Rodriguez retired), so Rindt would have been either fifth or fourth at this stage.

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:15

Originally posted by PeterTRoss
Any other suggestions for portrait-orientated in-period colour images of Lotus cars would be most welcome.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Ross
Editor “Historic Lotus”

Peter, if you get a landscape shot with a reasonably short lens then you should be able to select a portrait segment from the photo for use on your front page.

Posted Image

For example the above photo of a Lotus XI at Harewood in the 1970s is one of my earlier attempts when I only had a fixed focal length 'long' lens.

:wave:

#5 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:53

Good old Dennis Pegg!

I hadn't actually seen any photos of him driving the car, though I have seen it 'in the metal'

The car is currently being restored by a member of his family.

#6 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:04

the rindt photo is I think an LAT PIC , IIRC it appeared in Motor Sport .

#7 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:05

Peter, my advice would be to use one of these worldwide known agencies of motorsport photography:

- Sutton Motorsport Images
- WRI (you will find a nice example (Rindt at Clermont-Ferrand in 1969) if you do a search with keyword "2075-006" ;) )
- LAT
- Schlegelmilch Photography

Hope this helps.

Marko