Photo

Classic racers for sale in Western Australia.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 266 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:45

The former Clem Dwyer, Syd Negus Plymouth Special. Monoposto and sometime controversial sports car.
This was recently advertised with an asking price of $80000.

Also, the replica Wally Higgs rear engined Peugeot Special. This was built by the late Doug Whitehead. It is now part of the Eastwood stable. Asking $15000.
The original Higgs car is being restored by John Napier-Winch.

With the current financial climate I can't imagine their garage doors will be knocked down in the rush.
However Ray B. I have put forward expressions of interest on your behalf. No. No. Only joking.;)

Advertisement

#2 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:43

$80 K seems a lot for the Plymouth, but it is a very successful monoposto special with a continuous history, and a lot of wins in Western Australian racing. It was built in 1939/40 from a crashed 1938 Plymouth by Clem Dwyer, made its debut at the one-off Applecross Patriotic Grand Prix in 1940, passed through a couple of other hands before being bought by Syd Negus circa 1948, who campaigned it until around 1964 or 5. In the late 50s he fitted it with mudguards and lights and raced it as a sports car. It was actually licenced for road use as a sports car, and was driven on the streets. After a few years in a shed, it was brought forth circa 1972 or thereabouts, restored, and has been appearing at Historic meetings around Australia ever since.

It had disappeared off the racing scene when I first began taking an interest in racing, and the first time I saw it in the metal was at the official opening of Wakefield Park in NSW in the 1980s. I was quite surprised to walk around a corner in the paddock and see the famous old girl so far from home.

Early 1950s (left); slow-down lap.

Posted Image

Posted Image