• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#151 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:09

Posted Image
McBegg getting closer to being ready
Wally Willmott has been working hard to finish this project.

Repco22: Bruce McLaren was exactly as your friends mother has described him.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 February 2012 - 10:13.

Advertisement

#152 Repco22

Repco22

• 713 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:28

Repco22: Bruce McLaren was exactly as your friends mother has described him.

Jerry, his personality always shines through that way. I'm sorry I didn't meet him.
Incidentally, in the Caversham pic above, white posts can be seen on the edge of the track---but not to keep the visually challenged 'on the straight and narrow'. They were someone's idea as part of a facelift for the GP but didn't have a great future. They were cardboard tubes.

#153 Levin68

Levin68

• 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 13:45

Posted Image
McBegg with body being fitted
Here is a great story on George Begg:
http://www.rotaryher...george_begg.htm

This will give the Forum members who weren't familiar with George Begg an insight into whom he was. Very well written by Peter Bramwell.

Thank you Jerry; it was a real pleasure talking all this over with George, and his story is one that fits New Zealanders' sense of their ability to achieve whatever they turn their hands to. I'm delighted that his much enjoyed Rotary club chose to honour him this way. He was a determined ally of young people who he felt were at risk then they had nothing to entertain or stimulate them, hence his work to build sports and other facilities in the Hervey Bay area.

I have a photo I took of him finishing some AJS 7R crankcases, part of a job he did periodically to help build engines for racing singles, which I must scan and post.

Peter

#154 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:36

Posted Image
The McBegg getting closer to being ready to fire up

Wally Willmott has just finished the exhaust system and is waiting on the electrics to be installed.

Peter: You did do a beautiful job of explaining George Begg.

photo: Wally Willmott

#155 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:46

Posted Image
Barry Keen and Jay Esterer admiring Wally's project
Barry was one of the original drivers of the McBegg and Jay Esterer is eagerly awaiting his turn behind the wheel of the McBegg.

Wally has Jay Esterer helping out with the fitting of the body.

#156 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,231 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:50

Posted Image
The McBegg getting closer to being ready to fire up
Wally Willmott has just finished the exhaust system and is waiting on the electrics to be installed.

Jerry - Thanks and great stuff, as usual :up:

I absolutely love the pipes design.

#157 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:54

Posted Image
The McBegg firing up for the first time

This comes from Wally Willmott:

"Doesn't seem to change no matter how many times you do it - the buzz you get when a collection of inanimate bits burst into life for the first time. Rick Michels, Jay Esterer, and myself on hand for the first burst of life."

#158 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:53

Nice to see Barry Keen is still around

#159 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:59

Wow, great exhaust system? Very impressive..... Great shot also of Clark and Bruce (# 6)

Advertisement

#160 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 684 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:17

Nice to see Barry Keen is still around

Barry was a laid back sort of guy, good for George in those first few years.
Have got to see the McBegg on its first outing - trying to get a flight booking tonight!

#161 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:31

Posted Image
The McBegg on display with Barry Keen looking on
Barry was the first driver of the McBegg.

Posted Image
The McBegg for all to enjoy.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 19 February 2012 - 20:13.

#162 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 20:40

Posted Image
Wally Willmott and his Star racer

photo: Robin Williams

Edited by Jerry Entin, 19 February 2012 - 20:41.

#163 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:11

As part of my continuing research on racing at Longford, Tasmania, I have discovered that Wally Willmott was present at the circuit a year earlier than I previously thought. He was part of the Mclaren team with Bruce's Cooper Climax in March 1963 (Bruce won at Longford - see the photo in post #1 of this thread, a few months earlier in WA) but the local Launceston newspaper The Examiner, which published excellent pre-event publicity over many pages, noted in March 1962 pre-event pages that "Wally Willmott was present, operating out of Bewglass Motors, as he prepares Angus Hyslop's Cooper Climax".

This was before he started working for Bruce. Earlier in this thread there is mention of Wally working for Tommy Atkins before Bruce - did the Atkins job come after this stint with Hyslop, or was he moonlighting?

I wonder if those in contact with Wally would care to ask him whether he can tell us about his Longford visits, about Hyslop, and Hyslop's Type 53 Cooper Climax? This car's identity seems a bit vague, but my understanding is that it was a new car built by Hyslop (and perhaps Wally?) at the Cooper works during 1961, while Hyslop was serving his NZ 'Driver to Europe' year in Formula Junior. The chassis number sometimes quoted for the car appears to be that from the 1958 Type 45 Cooper that Hyslop had earlier used in NZ, presumably to ease its import into New Zealand in late 1961.

Any assistance from Wally or others on this would be appreciated.

Rob Saward

#164 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:57

Isn't Wally a member of this forum, or does he only post through Jerry Entin?

I suspect Wally was just helping out on Hyslop's Cooper. Bill Hanna was Hyslop's main man and, although I'm not sure, I'd be surprised if he didn't accompany the car on the Australian rounds

You're right about the T53's origins, except that I'm not sure it was brand new.

#165 David Manton

David Manton

• 38 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 13:27

As part of my continuing research on racing at Longford, Tasmania, I have discovered that Wally Willmott was present at the circuit a year earlier than I previously thought. He was part of the Mclaren team with Bruce's Cooper Climax in March 1963 (Bruce won at Longford - see the photo in post #1 of this thread, a few months earlier in WA) but the local Launceston newspaper The Examiner, which published excellent pre-event publicity over many pages, noted in March 1962 pre-event pages that "Wally Willmott was present, operating out of Bewglass Motors, as he prepares Angus Hyslop's Cooper Climax".

This was before he started working for Bruce. Earlier in this thread there is mention of Wally working for Tommy Atkins before Bruce - did the Atkins job come after this stint with Hyslop, or was he moonlighting?

I wonder if those in contact with Wally would care to ask him whether he can tell us about his Longford visits, about Hyslop, and Hyslop's Type 53 Cooper Climax? This car's identity seems a bit vague, but my understanding is that it was a new car built by Hyslop (and perhaps Wally?) at the Cooper works during 1961, while Hyslop was serving his NZ 'Driver to Europe' year in Formula Junior. The chassis number sometimes quoted for the car appears to be that from the 1958 Type 45 Cooper that Hyslop had earlier used in NZ, presumably to ease its import into New Zealand in late 1961.

Any assistance from Wally or others on this would be appreciated.

Rob Saward

The Cooper-Climax was built at the Cooper works specifically for Angus Hyslop and was declared by Gus upon arrival back in New Zealand as his earlier car "extensively modified to the Type 53 lowline specifications in order to make it more competitive." And all the journalists repeated this. Among many yarns on a drive from Hawkes Bay to Auckland for the NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore, he told me that in fact the original Cooper's steering wheel was used on the new car and so, it really was a very extensively modified car!

#166 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 269 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:12

My 'Motorsport Flashback' column in the April issue of NZ Classic Car featured Wal and the half century since he arrived in the UK. He had just turned 21 and had gone from having just completed his apprenticeship as an auto electrician in Timaru to England and the world of motor racing.

I'd recommend the 'McBegg' thread on 'The Roaring Season' - clear evidence Wal is 'has it' with the workmanship that has gone into that car.

I can tell you he doesn't muck about in the StarCar either - he hasn't let the fact that he had the best part of a 45 year lay-off between a F3 Cooper 500 and getting back into open-wheelers slow him down!

#167 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:43

Michael and Austmcreg:
Wally has pictures from that era. He isn't home right now. He will try and answer the question, about how he got involved with Angus Hyslop.
This is what Wally remembers:

"I left home in January 1962 at the age of 20 to attend the Australian races that followed the National series here. (later to become the Tasman series)

Upon arrival by air in Sydney I went to the wharf to meet my mate Eoin Young who was coming over there by boat on the free ticket Angus Hyslop got for sending his car with that shipping company.

While at the wharf and helping with the unloading I learned that Angus, and his new wedded wife Joanne, were without a mechanic for the series.

Eoin Young proposed that I could fill the roll and in payment for my services I received accommodation, but had to find my own way between meetings. The bonus, I was to learn later, was that the car was to travel and be garaged alongside Bruce McLarens car and mechanic (a huge help as I knew next to nothing about motor racing at that level).

I am currently on the road at the moment and will be home again on Thursday. I have lots of photo’s and cuttings of that time and in particular Tasmania where I was to have my 21st birthday."

Wally Willmott

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 June 2012 - 06:46.

#168 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:13

I have lots of photo’s and cuttings of that time and in particular Tasmania where I was to have my 21st birthday."
Wally Willmott

Thanks very much Jerry, I ( and many others I suspect) cannot wait!

Rob Saward

#169 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 21:27

Posted Image
The Hyslop Cooper arriving in Sydney
In the days before containers, cars were manhandled by a team of not too
caring wharf labourers down to the wharf and wheeled away - the Hyslop Cooper arrives.

photo: Wally Willmott collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 06 June 2012 - 21:54.

#170 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 21:40

Posted Image
Hyslop Cooper leaving the docks
The following comes from Wally:
"You have to love the shenanigan's that went on with customs in those days.
As David Manton was saying, a car left New Zealand, the steering wheel was
jacked up, and a new car was slipped under it, and it returned 'modified".

Edited by Jerry Entin, 06 June 2012 - 21:50.

#171 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 21:44

Posted Image
Wally Willmott working on Gus Hyslop's Cooper

Edited by Jerry Entin, 06 June 2012 - 21:50.

#172 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:45

Posted Image
The Hyslop Cooper arriving in Sydney
In the days before containers, cars were manhandled by a team of not too
caring wharf labourers down to the wharf and wheeled away - the Hyslop Cooper arrives.

That year I saw the Shelly Lotus being loaded onto the Johann van Oldenbarnevelt on the Wellington docks in the same manner. I wonder if the Cooper went on the same ship?

#173 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:19

... and John Schroder and I watched in Sydney as one Lola and one Brabham were unloaded in exactly the same fashion from exactly the same "JVOldenbarnevelt" on what we were told was its last voyage. Cant recall the year, but we then trailered them away to the warehouses where they were then hidden ... Actually, I thought the wharfies did a pretty good job

#174 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:59

Posted Image
Boat in question coming into the docks
This comes from Wally:
"I didn't mean to put down the wharfies, they did take a lot of care and interest in the cars."

Here is the vessel in question arriving alongside the Sydney wharf at 7am.

Wally Willmott

#175 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:09

Posted Image
Arriving to Tasmania early helped to create a bit of attention, and the
local paper was there to greet us.

Here is an article that Gus Hyslop and Wally Willmott got mentioned in:

Finishing an excellent fourth was a fitting reward for New Zealander Angus Hyslop and his mechanic Wally Willmott. In the second last race on Saturday the valve keeper in Hyslop's 2500 Cooper-Climax seized. Thanks to John Surtees, Hyslop secured another motor. This was fitted, and when the motor was fired yesterday morning the thrust bearing seized. This necessitated dismantling the gearbox.

newspaper clipping: Wally Willmott collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 08 June 2012 - 00:43.

#176 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:22

Posted Image
Austin Miller's Cooper /Corvette who managed to clock the fastest speed down
the main straight of 171m.p.h. before blowing it up.

While in Tasmania, Wally was the guest of Austin Miller and his mate Joanne, at his hotel called The Monaco Hotel. This was for Wally's 21st birthday.

Austin Miller or Aussie as they called him, happened to be the Australian land speed record holder.He held that title at around 171 mph from 1961-1964. Here is a great story on how he built his car and broke the record, with no monies and a borrowed Corvette engine. It is written by Austin's mate Geoff Smedley:
http://www.landspeed...ecord__1961.pdf

This is what Wally remebers about his 21st birthday:

"Aussie Miller was a great character who owned the Monaco hotel in which I stayed whilst there. He and his partner Joanne put on a surprise 21st birthday party for me."

paper clipping: Wally Willmott collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 08 June 2012 - 00:44.

#177 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,738 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:52

Another fascinating thread thanks to Jerry and everyone one who contributed :up:

Ref the acetylene cannon I wonder what apprentices and mechanics get up to these days to keep themselves entertained ?

#178 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,284 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:47

I found this the other day while hunting through a magazine for something else:

Posted Image

That's a part of Wally's life that's probably been forgotten as far as this thread's concerned. I don't think it lasted long, by the way...

...and in the meantime...

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
.....Austin Miller or Aussie as they called him, happened to be the Australian land speed record holder. He held that title at around 171 mph from 1961-1964. Here is a great story on how he built his car and broke the record, with no monies and a borrowed Corvette engine. It is written by Austin's mate Geoff Smedley:
http://www.landspeed...ecord__1961.pdf

Jerry, this story is also on TNF...in the Mentioned in Passing thread when Aussie died.

#179 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 684 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:25

That's a part of Wally's life that's probably been forgotten as far as this thread's concerned. I don't think it lasted long, by the way..[/url].

Not sure why you introduce this Ray - Wal left NZ in 1962 and you are showing an advertisment from 1971 in a mag you were involved with.

Advertisement

#180 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:54

Patrick: I hadn't touched on Wally's life in the late 60's. It was basically a period where as Wally says he was wandering.

The following are Wally's thoughts on this time period:

"Bruce Burr was one of the guys – alongside Geoff Smedley – that put together Aussies car. Bruce later went on to become race mechanic for Greg Cussack, working out of Canberra. Here he teamed up with Jim Daniels, and the pair of them went to Sydney and started ‘The Performance Centre’.
A fair bit of water under the bridge for all of us before I reconnected with Bruce in 72".

as remembered by: Wally Willmott

#181 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:32

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher
Not sure why you introduce this Ray - Wal left NZ in 1962 and you are showing an advertisement from 1971 in a mag you were involved with.

I'm not sure why you posted this, Patrick...

The thread, it seems to me, covers all aspects of Wally's life from when he first got a car to his present restorations. Nothing had thus far been said about any time spent with Bruce and Jim in Sydney, though Michael Henderson got close to it, and I thought it appropriate to include it in his history.

It wouldn't have mattered what magazine I'd found it in, by the way.

#182 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:08

Ray: Wally will tell more on the years that haven't been covered yet. As things pop up he will answer the questions that the forum members may want to know about.

#183 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 100 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:30

Patrick: I hadn't touched on Wally's life in the late 60's. It was basically a period where as Wally says he was wandering.

"Bruce Burr was one of the guys – alongside Geoff Smedley – that put together Aussies car. Bruce later went on to become race mechanic for Greg Cussack, working out of Canberra. Here he teamed up with Jim Daniels, and the pair of them went to Sydney and started ‘The Performance Centre’.
A fair bit of water under the bridge for all of us before I reconnected with Bruce in 72".

as remembered by: Wally Willmott

Oop's I can see a bit of history being changed here!

#184 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:51

Posted Image
Wally in 1969 as a Lotus trouble shooter
Wally was working for the Geoghegans at their car dealership on Lotus's as they arrived.
Here are Wally's thoughts on this time period:

"I was a trouble shooter for a Lotus agent. Most cars were 'pre sold', arriving in a knocked down form in packing cases
(by boat) from England. You would be waiting for the phone call the following day when the new owner
of a Twin Cam Elan - or even worse because they were more expensive a 2+2 , when they discovered some drops of oil on their newly painted garage floor.
The story that LOTUS stood for 'Leaks Oil, Takes Untold Servicing', I'm sure
came from that period. None of this of course helped by overzealous Sales Men that would handle the
truth somewhat carelessly in their description of second hand vehicles."

Edited by Jerry Entin, 23 December 2012 - 12:58.

#185 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 640 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:27

Posted Image
Wally in 1969 as a Lotus trouble shooter
Wally was working for the Geoghegans at their car dealership on Lotus's as they arrived.
Here are Wally's thoughts on this time period:

"I was a trouble shooter for a Lotus agent. Most cars were 'pre sold', arriving in a knocked down form in packing cases
(by boat) from England. You would be waiting for the phone call the following day when the new owner
of a Twin Cam Elan - or even worse because they were more expensive a 2+2 , when they discovered some drops of oil on their newly painted garage floor.
The story that LOTUS stood for 'Leaks Oil, Takes Untold Servicing', I'm sure
came from that period. None of this of course helped by overzealous Sales Men that would handle the
truth somewhat carelessly in their description of second hand vehicles."

The Europa that was modified by Wally was one that I assembled from the packing crate to road Regested while I was working at Geoghegans, on completion of the cars assembly I was assigned to assist Wally on the modifications of the car.

The Inlet & Exhaust Manifolds if my memory serves me correctly were made by Bo Seaton while the head modifications were were carried out by Waggot Eng. & all Dyno work was done at Paul Shroders workshop.

#186 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,284 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:00

$200? For all of that?

Incredible bargain! Though during that period I did drop down to Haberfield one day and 'test drive' one of the regular Europas... I felt it was too neutral to be safe and I don't think a little extra power would help much.

By the way, I'm sure you mean John Schroder.

#187 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 640 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 20:30

$200? For all of that?

Incredible bargain! Though during that period I did drop down to Haberfield one day and 'test drive' one of the regular Europas... I felt it was too neutral to be safe and I don't think a little extra power would help much.

By the way, I'm sure you mean John Schroder.

Thanks Ray yes it was John Schroder, the first time that I drove a Eropa was on a pickup on Paramatta Road.

All was fine until a double decker bus pulled up along side & I was looking up at the centre of the bus drive wheel, at this point I felt very uneasy,but that was many years ago.

#188 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 100 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 21:26

Thanks Ray yes it was John Schroder, the first time that I drove a Eropa was on a pickup on Paramatta Road.

All was fine until a double decker bus pulled up along side & I was looking up at the centre of the bus drive wheel, at this point I felt very uneasy,but that was many years ago.

Hey now that rings a bell! Picking up a new Lotus 47 (Europa) that arrived at Changi air force base and driving through Singapore back to our workshops in '68, all out of tune it was a 'dog'

#189 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 14:01

Geoff, Sorry about the ‘facts’, but as Bruce Burr would always say “Never let a few facts stand in the way of a good story”
Bruce had a book given to him by his peers at some stage of his career, and it was the children’s book Grimm’s Fairy Tales – it held the pride of place on his office bookshelf.

as told by: Wally Willmott

#190 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:01

Posted Image
By February 1969 Wally had moved on to work for Bruce and Jim.

Here are Wally's thoughts on that period of time:

"A couple of likable rogues who looked after the vehicles belonging to the top end of town and on both sides of the law.
They were based in the heart of Sydney, and with a clientele who were prepared to pay for good service - it was a good business. "

clipping: Wally Willmott collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 December 2012 - 09:48.

#191 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:13

Posted Image
This comes from Wally about working with Allan Moffat:

"'Late 71' and Allan Moffat phones to tell me that he is off to England to pick up an M10 McLaren, is going to go 5000 racing with Coca Cola as his sponsor. He wants me as his mechanic and is prepared to pay whatever it takes. "Here's a starter, pack up you goods and belongings, find a flat in Melbourne, I'll be back soon, make yourself comfortable".

My association with Allan went back to the early 60's when we had the McLaren sports cars at Mosport. Around then we used the facilities in Toronto of a Ford dealer that ran a team of cars. I believe that the 'Team Chief' was Paul Cook. They called their team Comstock Racing. During this time Allan Moffat was running a Ford Lotus Twin cam, and I met him there. Currently he was running a Mustang under the Coca Cola flag and doing well. Why not."

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 December 2012 - 02:38.

#192 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:21

Posted Image
Wally Willmott and Fred Gibson and Allan Moffat

Wally on racing with Allan Moffat:
The 'Why Not' turned out to be the fact that whilst he was in England finalising the deal with Elva for the M10, Coke Cola pulled the pin on the deal with Allan, and it was all off. So in Melbourne with not many options open I stayed on. By the laughing in the photo here with Fred Gibson, some lovely ladies, Allan and ? at the Green Hills G.P. in January 72 all is not that bad.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 December 2012 - 02:26.

#193 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:31

Posted Image

Wally's thoughts on racing a Mustang with Allan Moffat:
"By April the reality of working on an old Mustang was starting to wear thin. I am sure that there are lots of people out there that remember this car with affection, but having become used to purpose built, light weight (by preference single seat) race cars I found the Mustang to be akin to Truck Racing.
Towards the end of that year I headed back to Sydney, once again working with Bruce Burr in the preparation of a car for Bathurst to be driven by Des West."

clippings : Wally Willmott collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 December 2012 - 14:27.

#194 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,284 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:58

Allan should be with Pauline there...

Strange that Wally says he got out of preparing the (racing) Mustang to return to Sydney and work on a (factory production) car for the Bathurst race. I guess it was a one-off and without some of the pressure that Allan could apply.

#195 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:39

[quote name='Jerry Entin' date='Dec 23 2012, 08:54' post='6079968']

As part of Wally's wanderings I've found a pic of Wally's Waggon that he and I used for a Mitsubishi commercial back in the eighties. Bruce burr was my best man when I wed, and Jim Daniels spent his mechanics apprenticeship in my fathers garage at Coffs Harbour.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#196 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:22

Posted Image
Camera car when Wally was first shown it.

Wally Willmott will now explain the Camera car that Kevin has posted:
"The Camera Car was almost a Barn Find. I had been in the Movie Industry for only a few months. At that stage it was
common practice around Sydney for the camera and crew to be towed behind a vehicle on a trailer, with communications being conducted via headset and microphone. Having been involved in a few of these exercises I decided that I could probably build a vehicle that would allow the cameraman and driver to be almost alongside, thereby eliminating the potential for error.
Posted Image
Rear view of Camera car before Wally restored it

I had put a fair bit of time and effort into the planned vehicle and was showing a friend my design.
I could not believe it when he said "I've seen that car." It was one of those "Yeah, right" moments, but he convinced me to go with him and climb over a couple of back fences,(on a Sunday afternoon, and after a few beers) and into the back lot of a very run down Film Production company, and there under rotting canvas and with very flat tires was the vehicle as you see it in these photo's.

The current owner was around when it had arrived into Australia, and being aware of the problems that had been involved in making it 'Street Legal', had never let the registration lapse, even though it had not been used for years. Originally built in California for the movie Hatari - filmed in Africa - it was made with no expense spared. Based on a Chevrolet light truck chassis, with a big block engine and a 2 speed Auto, it had then had an Aluminum checker plate body made with magnesium pipe clamps machined and fitted around its edges. It had 2 steering boxes and with brake and throttle on both left and right hand side the steering column and seat could be transfered from one side to the other by simply undoing wing nuts. It was on the first or second job that I did when someone stepped on the 'Spare' throttle pedal that I decided I would do away with that option and it stayed right hand drive only from then on.

In the movie it is very obvious that it was once or twice hit by one or two not too happy Rhinoceros. It must have then gone back to the U.S. and been put on the back lot there until later the same studio came out to Australia to film a Movie at Bathurst (I'm guessing in the late 60's) called 'Side Car Racers'. After production of that it was left in Australia - to rot - until I found it.
The running gear was pretty well shot so I put a 350 Chev, 3 speed auto, a Ford 10" diff, new wheels and tires, and coil spring with airbag assist suspension. That vehicle became the focus of my company 'Mobile Camera Rigs' until I sold out of it to go sailing."

As told by Wally Willmott
photos: Wally Willmott collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 29 December 2012 - 15:06.

#197 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:37

Posted Image
The windscreen and wipers were added to afford some creature comforts
That is whilst travelling, but were quickly and easily removed once on location. Air conditioning was factory standard.

Posted Image
Camera car fitted with Crane
The Lumar crane was used on a Japanese production of a Subaru commercial - somewhere in the Outback of Australia.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 28 December 2012 - 16:50.

#198 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:55

Posted Image
Wally driving while filming a movie
Here is what Wally remembers about this photo:
"A typical 'Day at the Office' where the Hero and Heroine are filmed doing their thing. On board would be me
driving, cameraman and assistant, director, probably a soundman, and maybe a director of photography.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 28 December 2012 - 16:59.

#199 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 640 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 19:47

Posted Image
The windscreen and wipers were added to afford some creature comforts
That is whilst travelling, but were quickly and easily removed once on location. Air conditioning was factory standard.

Posted Image
Camera car fitted with Crane
The Lumar crane was used on a Japanese production of a Subaru commercial - somewhere in the Outback of Australia.

This photo is on SpingHill Road Port Kembla passing the now redundant coil mill on the right hand side of the photo.

The pipe work that they are passing under is connected to the 2 large gas tanks on the left but out of view, spent many years working in this area.

Advertisement

#200 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,284 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:23

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Posted Image

That would be this photo Dan...

You need to click on the post button at the bottom, not the top of the post you quote.