Photo

TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show

• Please log in to reply
1279 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 17:43

As a result of discussion at our last quarterly TNF Baldock meeting, the idea was put forward of starting a series of film shows showing racing and rallying film and TV footage from the dim and distant past in a period roughly covering 1930 to 1985 which we could all meet up and enjoy this nostalgic old film.

In a joint effort we have now booked a hall , some projection equipment and with Gary C's help and his extensive collection of films amateur and professional and TV, and hopefully a wide variety of types and ages of motorsport, items which may have only had a single airing. We intend to put on a programme of 4 hours of films.
First show will be Saturday 21st February 2009 from 10.30 to 4.30 pm in north east Hertfordshire close to the Essex border and to Stansted Airport, Bishops Stortford, the M11 motorway and the east-west A120 trunk road. ( postcode SG112JL if you want to put it in to multimap see how far it is from your home and get directions etc or to put in to satnav systems )
Coffee, lunch and afternoon tea is available to purchase in the hall.

This will be a closed , members only , film show by invitation only to TNF members and their invited guests but not open to the general public aimed at the atmosphere of a few friends sitting around enjoying motor racing from the past on screen as they might in someone's home.

Well known and highly talented motor racing fine artist Andrew Kitson is a supporter and will be in attendance with examples of his work. there will be a lunchtime motor racing knowledge quiz and much else we hope of interest and a chance to meet people you only know via the TNF forum and discuss the films etc.Already we have a few well known motor racing figures from the past who are planning to attend
If you are interested in attending please e-mail me with all your details for info and latest information over the next few weeks.

Advertisement

#2 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 18:29

A good job Richard/Gary and the organising team, I will be attending with a friend so will mail you the details.

A great way to spend a winters Saturday, any point to point at all?

Cheers.

Sterling

#3 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 18:42

Well done Richard & Gary. I know how much work you've both put into this so far.
As Richard says, if anyone is interested, please e-mail or PM him first to reserve a place...don't just turn up on the day. Or keep an eye on this thread for news on availability nearer the date.

Posted Image

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 19:47

Many thanks Andrew for your help and your support for this project from us all.
It has been very much a TNF members joint effort using their various talents and indeed the encouragement of all the Baldock regulars in formulating a plan .
Already we have 20 + who expect they will be able to attend. A bit nearer the date I shall ask for firm confirmations and orders for catering etc, we will keep you posted on that. Anyone I am not already in contact with who would like to attend send me your e-mail address and I will put you in the mailing group for more details ,we do need to know exactly who will be coming.

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 14:28

I forgot to mention that a group of Andrew Kitson's fine paintings form the heading logo for our film shows
'History of Motor Racing on Film' representing as they do, examples of racing in the 20s 30s 50s 60s and 70s
Which captures the spirit of the era of racing that we want to celebrate and look back on via archive film at the show.

If you have a look at his website www.andrewkitson.com

Click on prints and go to special offers he has some stunning end of line prints on sale from as little as £5 upwards, great value and fabulous work. If you contact him please mention the film show. Several TNF members have commissioned original paintings from Andrew this year.

#6 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:08

Numbers of TNF members and their friends and guests are starting to build up quite well .We now have over 30 people confirmed, still room for more if you would like to attend or want to add more guests please e-mail me for details and to be added to the e-mail list.
A bit nearer the time there will be details about the films and ordering lunch etc. Hopefully we will try to make it a good day out for all, with some other displays a quiz and a chance to chat to other people from the forum in the intervals and hopefully a few well known faces will be there as well.

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:40

Don't forget just 4 weeks to go now.

#8 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:59

How are we doing for numbers Richard? Hopefully increasing at a fair rate :up:

#9 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:44

Hi Richard, I trust you noted my e-mail confirming that I will be attending with a friend. Looking forward to it!

#10 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:22

Yes Tony, look forward to seeing you.

Well Sterling as always in these things, we have had a few more additions and a few who due to circumstances have had to pull out, it is around 30 confirmed, however another dozen expressed interest but have yet to firm up attendance.
When we reach 2 weeks to go I shall ask for definite e-mail confirmations together with lunch bookings from everyone , close to the event , so that we know exactly how many people to expect with their names for lapel badges on the day and can make all the necessary arrangements.
So yes we still have plenty of room for more people and their friends.So do please let me know. I have watched so much old black and white film lately even the grass outside looks bright despite the current gloomy weather !! We do hope you will all enjoy the day no matter how bad it is outside, as well as lifting the national gloom for a few hours in the company of good friends.

#11 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:27

The Film Show is 3 weeks away today. SAT 21st Feb

Here are some photos of the venue. There is ample off road parking outside the hall. Men,women and disabled toilets in the building. A fully equipped modern kitchen we have use of. We have 15 tables and 100 chairs. Interesting attending the Fressingfield event this week , also in a village hall in many ways I expect ours to be similar, but effectively all day being from 10.30am to 4.30pm on a Saturday.

Posted Image Posted Image

If you are interested in coming to the show please e-mail me with your details and e-mail address so that we know exactly who to expect and so that you can receive final instructions and directions etc. All members and their guests are welcome.

#12 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 13:15

We are most impressed by the support chaps and the effort you are all prepared to put in to attend.We have 36 on the e-mail loop of interested parties + members friends as well.

We are expecting people to come now from :-

Bournemouth, Southampton, various parts of London, Surrey, Sussex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Northampton, the North West of England, Kent, Beds, Bucks, Berks Herts, Essex, and possibles from other regions as well.

We are conscious that with the cost of fuel , travelling is the most expensive part of a day out these days.
So I would urge you where at all possible to team up with others in your area then car share and split the cost of the petrol to everyone's benefit, so that you will feel you can do it all again, as we hope to do this 3 or 4 times a year.

So use this thread to advertise where you are and appeal for either getting or giving lifts to others in your area .

Bit nearer the time I will put up maps and comprehensive directions to find the venue.

#13 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 13:31

I will be travelling from the Brands area, possibly with 2 friends from the Bournemouth area, so there could be a spare seat in the car if that is any help.

#14 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:01

I will be travelling from the Northampton / Wellingborough area with three empty seats. I am quite happy to pick up others on the way, or share costs with someone else who could pick up / meet me.

Richard, thanks for your efforts in organising the event and the suggestion of arranging car - shares.

#15 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:06

This is just the sort of thing that will make it less expensive for everyone, so do please private message or e-mail each other when you can see someone else will be en-route........it will also give you scope ,for even more chat about motor racing ;)

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 19:04

The more I read about the show, the more sorry I am that I can't make it, due to a previously-booked theatre engagement.
I'm sure that it will be a great event, thanks to the effort put in by the organising team of TNF worthies. I look forward to reading about what I missed - including those TNF names I would like to put faces to.

#17 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 19:49

I too have a prior commitment so alas will miss the meet.

So have a great time and hopefully there will be another one.

#18 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 22:13

I'll be travelling from the Croydon area with three spare seats in my VW Polo. Happy to pick up others from nearby or en route. Alternatively I'm happy to share costs and travel with someone else who's going

#19 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:59

Anyone passing by Bitburg, Germany? :(

Advertisement

#20 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:02

Alan and Paul, glad to hear you are interested sorry neither of you can make it this time, Paul I know especially is very local.
If you both e-mail me with your e-mail addressses I will add you in to the group loop so that you get all the detailed information, for first and future shows.

If enough people come to the first one and it is a success then we will aim for 3 or 4 a year.
Anyone else who would like to attend , then do please let me know with your details so that we are prepared for numbers and have lapel badges etc prepared in advance. Nearer the day I will ask you all for your food orders as well.
I cannot confirm the details yet but it does look as if we will be pleased to welcome at least half a dozen very well known motor sport personalities as well.

#21 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:06

Originally posted by fines

We are only about 6 miles from Stansted Airport Michael, Ryanair and Easyjet run cheap flights to Germany :)

#22 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:35

Yes, but a) not until July 9 and b) I'll be heading the wrong way, along the B410 from Prüm towards Gerolstein and Kelberg.

Slightly more usefully, Air Berlin has a reasonably cheap route between Düsseldorf and Stansted, which isn't too far from the Hinton Multiplex.

Edit: sorry, posted this before I'd spotted Richard's previous response...

#23 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:14

Originally posted by RTH
I cannot confirm the details yet but it does look as if we will be pleased to welcome at least half a dozen very well known motor sport personalities as well.

Looks promising, hopefully, we are working on it but cannot confirm / reveal until a couple of days before!
Watch this space.

#24 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:08

Originally posted by RTH

We are only about 6 miles from Stansted Airport Michael, Ryanair and Easyjet run cheap flights to Germany :)

Hmmmm....

#25 MCS

MCS

• 4,686 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:22

Hmmmm....

Come on Michael, you can do it !!!

Chances are I'll now be travelling from Stansted, or Luton, or, worse still, Heathrow...

#26 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:34

My uncle used to pass by often but that was in the '40s! :rotfl:

#27 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:14

This is the view out of my window 5 minutes ago from Hertfordshire. There is 4 inches of snow. I have just been out in a 2 wheel drive hatchback and the roads are passable at present but over a 12 mile route there is no evidence of any salting on either A or B roads. More snow forecast for the next 48hrs said to be the heaviest snow fall in south-east England for 18 years. All bus services are cancelled the London Underground is suspended. It appears hardly anyone is even attempting to go to work this morning.

Stansted Airport has just been re-opened, just as well ,as I have to collect that well known husband and wife historic F1 entrants/organisers/drivers/TNF contributors back from the motor show/ F1 display in Spain from there this afternoon unless the currently falling snow gets worse.

Hopefully in 3 weeks normal service will be resumed and travelling here will be alright again well in time for the show.

#28 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:50

Amazing, I worked in Germany for years with frequent heavy snow showers in winter. Nothing stopped, kids still went to school, the trains and airports were still open for business, the snow ploughs did their job. We are crap at handling 'freak' weather situations in the UK.

#29 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:06

Originally posted by RTH

Stansted Airport has just been re-opened, just as well ,as I have to collect that well known husband and wife historic F1 entrants/organisers/drivers/TNF contributors back from the motor show/ F1 display in Spain from there this afternoon unless the currently falling snow gets worse.

Best check HERE first.

#30 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:17

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Amazing, I worked in Germany for years with frequent heavy snow showers in winter. Nothing stopped, kids still went to school, the trains and airports were still open for business, the snow ploughs did their job. We are crap at handling 'freak' weather situations in the UK.

No trains, buses or trams around these parts - and most schools are closed. Happily, the local wildlife is out and about, behaving correctly...

Posted Image

#31 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:25

Hope you have made a giant snow slide on the pavement ;)

Kind regards

Phil

#32 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:29

Originally posted by Simon Arron

Posted Image

Lovely photo Simon....did you take that this morning ?

#33 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:32

Originally posted by Kpy

Best check HERE first.

Thanks for that Chris ... I see its been cancelled !

#34 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 13:44

Glad to help, Richard.

#35 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 16:02

Originally posted by RTH
Did you take that this morning?

Indeed so. During the winter months, with few racing cars roaming around, I have spent lots of time training my lens on wildlife. By 8.30 this morning the local park was absolutely brimming with photographers...

#36 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:47

Lots of snow here in Kent, a local sub station was hit by lightning at precisely 8.20 p.m on Sunday night and we were plunged into darkness until 3am Tuesday morning, no power, for a time, no water, but lots of snow. The thought of the kids old Davos sledge was tempting for a while, but not being able to "thaw" out afterwards had a more sobering effect :D

#37 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:42

Originally posted by RTH
This is the view out of my window 5 minutes ago from Hertfordshire. There is 4 inches of snow. I have just been out in a 2 wheel drive hatchback and the roads are passable at present but over a 12 mile route there is no evidence of any salting on either A or B roads. More snow forecast for the next 48hrs said to be the heaviest snow fall in south-east England for 18 years. All bus services are cancelled the London Underground is suspended. It appears hardly anyone is even attempting to go to work this morning.

You're all a bunch of softies, I got to work on time yesterday and today. (Essex)

David

PS A friend of mine was one of only five to make it to her London office yesterday out of a staff team of 40. As a thank you the company put all five in the Hilton last night for their troubles and determination.

#38 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 13:02

Originally posted by David Lawson
A friend of mine was one of only five to make it to her London office yesterday out of a staff team of 40. As a thank you the company put all five in the Hilton last night for their troubles and determination.

...and thereby ensured they'd all be at work again today :)

Apologies for my cynicism - my first and overriding thought was what a nice gesture

#39 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 13:58

Originally posted by Simon Arron

No trains, buses or trams around these parts - and most schools are closed. Happily, the local wildlife is out and about, behaving correctly...

Posted Image

A lovely picture. At first I thought he looked very fat for a robin, then I realised that he must have all his feathers puffed out to provide extra insulation. [/twitcher mode].

Motor racing connection:
(1) Isn't that the principle that a traditional rally jacket works on?
(2) The banger boys race Reliant Robins occasionally don't they?

Advertisement

#40 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 14:00

Agreed but it didn't need to be at the Hilton, it could have been a grim Premier Inn or a Travel Lodge. I see it as a genuine gesture

David

#41 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 14:02

Originally posted by D-Type
A lovely picture. At first I thought he looked very fat for a robin, then I realised that he must have all his feathers puffed out to provide extra insulation. [/twitcher mode].

Motor racing connection:
(1) Isn't that the principle that a traditional rally jacket works on?
(2) The banger boys race Reliant Robins occasionally don't they?

Bit like this then !

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=AduH6zvXuI4

#42 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:16

Many thanks to David Birchall who has gone to a great deal of trouble to send us some old footage on DVD especially as he is based, shall we say out of our normal catchment area in Vancouver B.C. Canada.

.......And to Andrew Kitson who amongst other clips has unearthed some amateur 1953-61 footage of club racing at Snetterton, fascinating as the old wartime base was indeed basic in the early 50s.

Anyone reading , who has any old motor racing film be it on 8 ,Super 8, 9.5 or 16mm film , any sort of video tape or DVD that we could all watch at one of the future film shows then do please e-mail me with the details. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

#43 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:51

Two weeks to go today to the TNF film Show Saturday 21st February 09

News today of a great special offer for show day only.
TNF's own Gary C as many of you will know is a broadcast professional , working for BBC , Sky, and other broadcasters. He has a passion for film making as well as the history of motor sport...a result is his series of historical motor racing DVDs on sale now.
"Yesterday's Racers" - 3 volumes so far are now available as well as his splendid DVD based around interviews with the guests at last years 'Jim Clark Film Festival '.
As a very special offer for the TNF Film Show day only, Gary is to offer his DVDs at half price only at the venue - normally £15 ea plus p&p ...for just £8 each!
So do please bring plenty of cash with you (or cheques, but not cards ) and use this opportunity to get a real bargain. As well as thanks to Gary and colleague John James who on the day will both bring their lifelong experience with BBC and with film club film shows to the technical aspects of running the films for us.
These DVDs are broadcast quality with superb production values and most impressive. On the day you will get the chance to sample the content on a TV side display. I think they are really good and this is a chance not to be missed to snap up a real bargain as a one off on subjects we are all interested in.

Posted Image
Thanks to Gary and John for giving their time to help us with putting on the TNF Film show

#44 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:45

If you would like to attend the TNF Film show in north east Hertfordshire which will take place on Saturday 21st of February, that is in 12 days time and you have not yet made yourself known to me and have not been receiving film show updates by e-mail, it is essential you e-mail me now to be included in the e-mail group.

We need to know who will be coming and their names so that we can forward final details, directions, let you have the food menu so that you can pre-order and we can make all the necessary preparations in terms of seating and purchase of provisions etc in order to smooth the reception process on the day.
So do please come , and e-mail or PM me now ,by clicking one of the above buttons and sending a message.It is important we know who to expect, thanks.

#45 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:23

I'm sad to say that I will have to give it a pass. :(

Circumstances looked good, until I tried to make air connections - I was hoping for some cheapo flight to fit into a somewhat stressy schedule, but the actual price [€176,50] was a bit steep for me. Stress + cheap = okay. Stress + expensive = uh-uh. Looks like I was too late - maybe next time! :wave:

Have fun! :cool:

#46 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:21

Quite understand Michael, you might like to look at it again for about the first Saturday in June. That is quite a hefty air fare .Our supposed cheap airlines are Ryanair and Easyjet but you have to book far ahead and I don't know if they go from Stansted to whatever your nearest airport is , we could probably get one of us to pick you up from the airport.

#47 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 16:39

Originally posted by RTH
Many thanks to David Birchall who has gone to a great deal of trouble to send us some old footage on DVD especially as he is based, shall we say out of our normal catchment area in Vancouver B.C. Canada.

.......And to Andrew Kitson who amongst other clips has unearthed some amateur 1953-61 footage of club racing at Snetterton, fascinating as the old wartime base was indeed basic in the early 50s.

Anyone reading , who has any old motor racing film be it on 8 ,Super 8, 9.5 or 16mm film , any sort of video tape or DVD that we could all watch at one of the future film shows then do please e-mail me with the details. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Actually Richard, it was very little trouble and I just regret that I will not be able to make the event. The film that I sent you a copy of is "The Sound of Speed" , made in 1962 at Riverside, featuring the F1 Scarab and this very well may be the UK debut of this movie!

Just remember to keep the sound up! Especially towards the end....

#48 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:50

Just one week to go now until the film show next Saturday 21st February.

If you would like to attend please e-mail me for details

Don't forget those of you that are coming to e-mail me with confirmation and names of those in your party and your food orders for the day from the menu sent round to all that have expressed interest.This is important that we know you are coming. Thanks.
I have also just sent out directions for finding the venue.

#49 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:13

Originally posted by D-Type
I'll be travelling from the Croydon area with three spare seats in my VW Polo. Happy to pick up others from nearby or en route. Alternatively I'm happy to share costs and travel with someone else who's going

Any takers?

#50 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:30

Anyone else who is thinking of coming, would like to come, but does not have a means of transport for whatever reason, please post your requirement up here, whereabouts you are and let us see if there is someone else coming your way who can get in touch with you and you can split the cost of the fuel. I know people are coming from all directions.Its a benefit on both sides.