Photo

TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show

• Please log in to reply
1071 replies to this topic

#801 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:12

Couple of places become free pm or email me to book.

Advertisement

#802 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 15:08

This coming Saturday the 28th

#803 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 15:35

Just a few places left for this saturday in Herts
pm or email me for details and to book

#804 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:38

Remember it is tomorrow Saturday 28th.

#805 DN5

DN5

• 279 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:17

To Richard, Christine and the team: thank you another super show.

I enjoyed the films (I really liked the Bruce McLaren one); John Watson was in great form and so much so we didn't notice that lunch was a bit late; food was good, quiz was hard; and Sterling was informative about Brands (he really doesn't like the proposed change).

Geoff

#806 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:19

Many thanks Richard and the gang for another great day - good food, good company and the incomparable John Watson (Sterling's talk brought the memories flooding back, too).

H/w a crappy mobile phone pic, until the proper ones arrive from those who remembered to bring a camera today (Doh!).

Posted Image

#807 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:29

Another great day by Richard and the team, the interview by Simon with John Watson was very good indeed, and John was informative and full of humour with his replies. From small beginnings to so many superb guest speakers in just over two years, Richard really deserves a round of applause for this achievement, that so many of us travel far and wide to attend.............bravo !

Posted Image

#808 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 21:09

I echo what everyone's said - superb day again, and thanks to all

I thought Wattie might be a bit 'proper' in his comments, but far from it

But I do wonder how long it will be before the 2-litre Renault turbo engine and the 3.3-litre Williams-Cosworth become accepted wisdom...

#809 BRMfan

BRMfan

• 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:51

Another terrific show Watson's talk was really intesting and different from what I expected Thanks to the team for all the organizing
Bruce

#810 mgtd

mgtd

• 135 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:47

What a revelation Wattie was!

A most enjoyable and revealing chat between him & Simon Arron...when Simon managed to get a word in of course.

Great day as usual; the catering team operating under extreme Hertforshire spring-like conditions. Well done for braving the elements to produce such a tasty lunch as per.

Thanks to Richard and Christine for organisation....like a well oiled machine.

Enjoyed the film selection, especially the Bruce McLaren & Chris Barber at Brands '64.

Well done Sterling for your nostalgic look back at Brands over the years. MANY shared memories in that.

See you in October.

Stephen

#811 Canon14

Canon14

• 31 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:00

Let me add my thanks to Richard and everyone involved in making the day so memorable. As a rookie at the film show, it certainly lived up to expectations. I especially enjoyed the film about Bruce Mclaren and how he fitted in with the other Kiwis and Sterling's memories of Brands were very evocative - it used to be my local circuit. But, of course, John Watson stole the show hands down.

I should also add that as the very surprised winner of the raffle, one of the pistons from John Watson's Monaco 1983 McLaren now has pride of place in the living room. Fantastic as it was to win, the even better part of it is that I have just spent the last hour with my 16 year old daughter reviewing the 1983 season and going through the importance of the Cosworth engine and how the turbos came to surplant it. Nostalgia lives on! - though my daughter is having some difficulty with the concept that only 7 cars finished at Monaco that year.

Many thanks again to all concerned.

Steven

#812 Lotusgirl

Lotusgirl

• 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:09

Would just like to add my thanks to Richard and the team.
Another fantastic day of nostalgic films and reminiscing.
Fantastic listening to Simon Arron and John Watson, what a character with so many tales to share.
Sterling, thanks for sharing your memories of living and breathing Brands Hatch.

And it's good to see that nothing can stop the good old British bar be que :)

Thanks again

#813 hipperson

hipperson

• 565 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 14:51

Great stuff Richard !

My goodness Wattie is easy to listen to......no stopping him.

#814 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 315 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 17:41

Thank you Richard and your hard working crew for producing yet another excellent day in Albury.

Wattie really stole the show didn't he with his no holds barred, warts and all views subtly combined with impressions of Ron Dennis, BCE and Mario Andretti! :rotfl: I really do hope that we will be able to see him again soon.

Glyn

#815 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 19:11

I thought this might interest some of you.

Roger Lund

#816 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 586 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 23:08

Exellent once again Richard.
Please pass on my thanks to the team and sorry that I couldn't stay till the end this time.
See you in three months time.

#817 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 13:32

Many thanks indeed for all the kind comments

Dear All,

First of all thank you so much to all of you who came on Saturday, 80 of us.

John Watson was marvellous, hugely entertaining, I know we could all have just listened to him all day, really wonderful stuff ! Simon Arron was the perfect interviewer guiding John along his career path for nearly 2 hours

Thanks to so many people, without the help of which we just could not continue to put it on.

Jane ( my sister) husband Bill and nephews Tom and Will who all did such a magnificent job with the BBQ in pouring rain the all worked away all day and as always produced delicious food . Massive effort as always.

Christine who battled a bad cold I know felt quite unwell yet ran reception and all the other admin and scheduling with her customary efficiency. Sterling gave us a great illustrated talk on the history of Brands Hatch. Doug ran the raffle which raised £250 for Huntingtons Chorea appeal charity ( many thanks to all of you who so generously bought tickets it will all go off to such a worthy cause.

Doug , Tony, John and Dick just pitched in and saw a job and did it , as well as giving great help in the catering dept all day too ! Many thanks much appreciated chaps.

Roger Lund who reported back on the McLaren factory tour he successfully bid for at the auction at the January show so kindly donated by McLaren. In aid of Little Havens Hospice.

Loyal supporter Roger Smith presented his just published 600 page F1 reference book to John.. an astonishing work http://www.amazon.co...h...2462&sr=1-1

Thanks for supporting it without you it would not happen.

#818 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 14:00

Framed cartoon which Richard presented to John Watson in appreciation of his very popular talk...
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#819 rubystone

rubystone

• 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 15:04

I long ago ran out of superlatives for this event. The best kept secret in Herts? I could've listened to Wattie all day and indeed really hope we get him back for the future.

Having had a peek behind the scenes at this event, I now realise just how much unpaid time goes into each event to make sure it runs like clockwork. A real eye-opener to me. For instance, how many people know that the guy serving the teas was a major cog in Hexagon's motor racing efforts in the '70s?

Thanks to Richard, Christine, Bill, Tom, Will, Jane and the others for such a great show. Can I borow the full Bruce McLaren movie sometime, Richard?

Cheers

Mark

Advertisement

#820 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 15:09

Rod and I discussed several possible ideas for a cartoon for John and he came up with this idea I liked immediately.
You will no doubt all remember Anderstorp Sweden 1978 the year Mario and Ronnie were running away with it all in the lotus 79 ground effect cars.
Gordon Murray first produced the surface cooling car , which John said even boiled within moments of being started even at really chilly ambient.
Then all covered up the Brabham Fan car arrived at Sweden it had massive suck under the car they were in a different class. John's team mate Niki won easily and the whole concept was then banned it was never seen again. John had a real tale to tell over the whole episode.

Rod produced yet another masterpiece and for a few moment John was speechless as he looked at it Saturday afternoon. Lovely work.Many thanks Rod.

#821 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,743 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 15:25

Delighted to read that you all had another great day, and that 'Wattie' produced a star turn. Super cartoon from Mr Waller, too.

#822 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 15:49

Posted Image

Posted Image
John Watson in conversation with Motor Sport News's Simon Arron

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by RTH, 30 April 2012 - 15:52.

#823 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:43

[quote name='RTH' date='Apr 30 2012, 16:09' post='5693694']
John's team mate Niki won easily and the whole concept was then banned it was never seen again. John had a real tale to tell over the whole episode.
/quote]

Ahem, Gunnar Nillsson Trophy at Doninton in 1979 ...

I liked Wattie's comment about Bernie ordering them not to blip the throttle in the pits, as people could see the car being sucked closer to the gorund. Might also mention (modestly) that we featured the car in this year's March issue of Classic Cars.

Edited by Odseybod, 01 May 2012 - 09:29.

#824 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:55

Delighted to read that you all had another great day, and that 'Wattie' produced a star turn. Super cartoon from Mr Waller, too.

Thanks Alan and Rich. Just waiting for a call from BCE....

#825 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:57

While we're picking at our nits, the Brabham fan car was never banned - Brabham just agreed to stop using it.

#826 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,927 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:29

If I may pick nits on your nits, Brabham did indeed agree to stop using it but the technology was banned after that.

#827 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:25

My nits bow to the superior knowledge of your nits, Allen. When was the technology banned?

#828 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,334 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:42

Surely, the technology - or rather the principle - was already outlawed, but were the regulations subsequently tightened to prevent Brabham's circumvention of them?

It's often cited that Lotus (and possibly others) were planning to run fans in the sidepods (to more forcibly draw air through the venturis (or 'ground-effects' tunnels) if the Brabham had continued in use; on what basis would they have been permitted, though? If the pretence was that such a fan was primarily for cooling, it would have to draw air through the space above the floor of the pod - where the radiator was - not through the venturi (between pod floor and ground).

I don't recall just how the regs were worded ('69, with regard to moveable aerodynamic devices, and revisited in the 'wake' of the 2J - or how they were revised), but I believe Gordon Murray is reported to have said that even he admitted they were just playing with words with regard to justifying the Brabham.

#829 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:58

... Brabham did indeed agree to stop using ...

Wattie did make it clear that Bernie agreed to use / be allowed to use/ it just the once, under pressure from the other teams on their grounds of safety.
Roger Lund

#830 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,334 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:37

And the 'safety' grounds seemed as spurious as the notion that the fan was primarily for cooling... but, as we know, there were broader issues than the details of the regs at stake at the time.

Although making the fan system effective on a single-seater was a triumph of detail engineering (and doubtless a very great deal of work), the Brabham always struck me as a bit of a "thumbed-nose at the rulebook" rather than an innovation; it's not as if it hadn't been done before.

#831 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:42

After a long summer break

Two months to go to the next film show on :-

Saturday 20th October 2012

Please put it in your diary

Details will follow, at which point bookings will then open, regulars will also be emailed.

Email or pm me if you would like to be added to the email database newsletters.

#832 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 586 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 18:55

yes please, As usual.

Details will follow, at which point bookings will then open, regulars will also be emailed.

#833 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,179 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 13:37

Hi Richard,

I've not seen any email or notification about this show - is it still on?

#834 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:06

Yes its all still on, my apologies for not making an announcement I am just waiting on a final confirmation before I can give you all the details.

But yes, in your diaries 4 weeks today hope to see you all.

#835 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,927 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:15

I'll be there. This time I'll try not to nod off during a fellow TNFers talk

#836 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:51

Back at the January event Sterling and I were chatting in our seats prior to the start and we looked round to see who was there. Sitting behind us John Miles and former guest and very entertaining speaker Chris Craft.
Posted Image
click image for larger view. Copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved.
Roger Lund

#837 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,774 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 17:14

It's in my diary looking forward to my first TNF Hertfordshire Film Show :up:

#838 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,139 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:44

Count me in please, Richard - should just about be back from Bohemia.

#839 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,179 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:55

Ah good, Richard.

I very, very nearly booked tickets for Manchester United at home to Stoke City so I've what some will describe as a very lucky, lucky escape. :)

Advertisement

#840 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:57

Very pleased to announce that our next film show event will be on Saturday 20th October
and our guest speaker on that day will be Frank Dernie Technical Director and Chief Engineer with a career spanning 35 years at Hesketh, Williams, Lotus Ligier, Benetton, Arrows Lola and Toyota GP teams and the Lola MG sportscar at Le Mans.

Edited by RTH, 23 September 2012 - 16:59.

#841 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 586 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:00

It's in my diary looking forward to it. Not my first TNF Hertfordshire Film Show.

#842 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 723 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:16

My birthday :eek:

#843 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,774 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:30

My birthday :eek:

Party On ! :drunk: :up:

#844 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:04

Wow this is booking up fast two thirds of the places gone in 18 hrs anyone wanting to come will have to be quick.

#845 DN5

DN5

• 279 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:25

Wow this is booking up fast two thirds of the places gone in 18 hrs anyone wanting to come will have to be quick.

Sent an e-mail last night.I hope I am in as I have just had an e-mail to ask me to check in for a flight that happened two days ago.

Geoff

#846 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 15:12

Yes you are Geoff, its passed the 60 mark already - this is proving a popular one.

#847 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 15:16

Hope you have me down too Rich............

#848 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 16:30

Hope you have me down too Rich............

I hope so otherwise who is going to answer all the questions?
Roger

#849 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 16:48

As the last time and indeed many time quiz winning team, Roger was asked to set the next quiz in colaboration with our resident quizmaster Glyn.
Well its all been done, Roger came up with enough material for the whole of next year too which is most gratefully received and it is now under lock and key . !

#850 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 315 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:59

As the last time and indeed many time quiz winning team, Roger was asked to set the next quiz in colaboration with our resident quizmaster Glyn.
Well its all been done, Roger came up with enough material for the whole of next year too which is most gratefully received and it is now under lock and key . !

He he he he. :p

See you all on the 20th

Glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 24 September 2012 - 19:01.