Photo

TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show

• Please log in to reply
1069 replies to this topic

#851 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:06

I hope so otherwise who is going to answer all the questions?
Roger

....not me Roger ! seem to recall being well and truly thrashed last time by some very welcome newbies............and there was only three of them in the team too !

Come back David M all is forgiven !

Advertisement

#852 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 23:21

As the last time and indeed many time quiz winning team, Roger was asked to set the next quiz in colaboration with our resident quizmaster Glyn.
Well its all been done, Roger came up with enough material for the whole of next year too which is most gratefully received and it is now under lock and key . !

Here is a little random teaser to get the 'little grey cells working' :-)

I can't vouch for the veracity of the claim, but which University claims to have a 'graduate in every British Formula One team' ?

#853 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:01

Southampton?
(Although I.C.L. may not be far behind.)

#854 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:10

Imperial College London?

#855 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:13

Southampton?
(Although I.C.L. may not be far behind.)

Much to my surprise Southampton only claims " graduates on almost every F1 team on the grid".

While so far as I know I.C.L. makes no claims about it's graduates involvement in Formula One.

#856 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:15

Imperial College London?

Correction ICL claims "Several of our graduates work in Formula One or related industries".

#857 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:26

Cranfield, maybe?
(I've no idea which overseas institutions are favoured in such matters.)

#858 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:37

Cranfield, maybe?
(I've no idea which overseas institutions are favoured in such matters.)

Cranfield claims "graduates have joined motorsport companies such as Red Bull Technology, Mclaren Racing, Williams F1, Ferrari, Team Lotus, Caterham F1 Team, M-Sport, Sahara Force India, Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains, Mercedes AMG Petronas, Carlin, Prodrive, SCE, Wirth Research, Xtrac, Cosworth, ART Grand Prix and DAMS."

Would anybody like a clue ?

Edited by arttidesco, 25 September 2012 - 07:38.

#859 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,523 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:49

What a coincidence:

University of Hertfordshire

Advertisement

#860 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:00

Ah! The appropriateness of the question escaped me entirely as I'd never heard of the place!

#861 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:11

What a coincidence:

Congratulations Tim :clap:

Ah! The appropriateness of the question escaped me entirely as I'd never heard of the place!

Neither had I :blush:

#862 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:29

What a coincidence:

Ah it were Hatfield Tech in the old days when I were there: a number of motor sporting folk trained there, long before it had a formal course in that sort of thing!
Brian Hart and Len Terry come to mind as a start and other ex de Havilland folk, such as Maurice Philippe, may well have been there.

#863 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:40

Ah it were Hatfield Tech in the old days when I were there: a number of motor sporting folk trained there, long before it had a formal course in that sort of thing!
Brian Hart and Len Terry come to mind as a start and other ex de Havilland folk, such as Maurice Philippe, may well have been there.

I did notice that the University has a de Havilland Campus on Mosquito Way :up:

Edited by arttidesco, 25 September 2012 - 08:41.

#864 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:06

Indeed I went to school in the Adjoining building Hatield School from '61-'68 and we shared a lot of the College facilities including 2 computer rooms which were air conditioned down to a shivering setting complete with 2 Elliott Automation 803 machines which were each the size of a transit van probably had the power of an ipod.
Our building is still standing and we had a reunion last year for the leavers of 1968 & 69 but all the vast playing fields have been built over.

For those of you with an interest in pre-war racing the latest in our afternoon history of English circuits series will be Brooklands.

Edited by RTH, 25 September 2012 - 09:13.

#865 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:43

For those of you with an interest in pre-war racing the latest in our afternoon history of English circuits series will be Brooklands.

:up:

Will we be required to dress in period ?  ;)

#866 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:53

Be pretty amazing sight if we could get everyone to do it - now where is my Stovepipe hat ?

#867 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,868 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:03

On the stove?

#868 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,523 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:10

Well, we'll definitely be 'the right crowd, and no crowding'. :clap:

#869 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 17:53

I have just received a message from Richard to say that his local farmer has driven his tractor into the BT telephone pole with obvious results...........he is now out of touch with the outside world, Albury is his worlds end ! If there are any bookings or questions, please message me, and I will endeavour to reach Richard via his steam telephone. Apparently it could be four days before he is in touch again....................

#870 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 21:40

The countryside is full of dangers that townies never dream of...

#871 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:25

They got the insulating tape out and ....I am back.

As a monster grain truck had blacked out the whole village they were forced to send BTs answer to international rescue.

#872 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,132 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 16:15

They got the insulating tape out and ....I am back.

As a monster grain truck had blacked out the whole village they were forced to send BTs answer to international rescue.

Thunderbirds are GO, Go, Go (in best Murray voice).

Glad you're back, Richard.

#873 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 17:20

Thunderbirds are GO, Go, Go (in best Murray voice).

Glad you're back, Richard.

Now that the boys have all safely returned to Tracey Island, and Richard is back in line here is another random teaser to exercise the little grey cells.

What was the name of the car that Alan Tracey came out of retirement to drive at the Parola Sands Grand Prix ?

Edited by arttidesco, 26 September 2012 - 17:21.

#874 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,599 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 20:12

Here is a little random teaser to get the 'little grey cells working' :-)
I can't vouch for the veracity of the claim, but which University claims to have a 'graduate in every British Formula One team' ?

I fear you might find our quizzes a little shallow.
Roger Lund

#875 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 580 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 22:53

Now we're talking my subject "Matilda"

#876 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 580 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 22:55

As an aside, I once took a telephone call from Sylvia Anderson. Can you imagine what it was like hearing Lady Penelope talking to you on the phone.

#877 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,698 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 23:16

As an aside, I once took a telephone call from Sylvia Anderson. Can you imagine what it was like hearing Lady Penelope talking to you on the phone.

:love: :up:

Apologies for the shallow question :blush:

#878 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:39

Delighted to be able to tell you that none other than Mr Murray Walker will be doing the interviewing on the day .

Only 10 places left now, email or pm me for details

#879 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:39

Great news Rich, have Nigel and Nick booked in yet?

Advertisement

#880 RTH

RTH

• 5,737 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 17:18

Yes both of them.

#881 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 22:31

Fully booked Rich ? Looking forward to a great day as usual !

#882 DN5

DN5

• 279 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 18:20

Great Day. Thanks must again go to Richard, Christine and the rest of team who made for a successful time.

The guests were super and, with the films, enable me to learn more about history of the sport. This is needed as the quiz proved again ....

Geoff

#883 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,602 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 19:18

I would like to add our thanks and congratulations to all involved with yet another successful day of film and conversations, both from the guest speakers but also amongst the audience.

#884 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,523 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 20:01

As a first-timer I was very impressed with the way Richard and the team ran the day. Everything went so smoothly, the chicken curry was excellent, and the speakers, especially Murray, were most enlightening. My thanks to all. It was also good to meet so many old friends, and put faces to some other well-known TNFers. A great day out.

#885 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 20:59

Tim, how come we never spoke/met? Great day again, Richard and team excelled yet again, really thought Frank and neil were superb, two guys that have ben there and achieved, interviewed by the voice of Grand Prix for so many years. Some great conversations, we had Maurice Hamilton on our table for lunch, another guest that has seen the superb event that Richard has developed.

Well done to all, brilliant !

#886 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,165 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 21:04

As a first-timer I was very impressed with the way Richard and the team ran the day. Everything went so smoothly, the chicken curry was excellent, and the speakers, especially Murray, were most enlightening. My thanks to all. It was also good to meet so many old friends, and put faces to some other well-known TNFers. A great day out.

Yes, wasn't it? I regret not going back for seconds now.

I thoroughly enjoyed today's show - Dernie's schoolboy enthusiasm shines through from both the films and today. I think he'd make a very good technical expert on TV. Murray, as always was a treasure. Poor old Neil Oatley was hampered somewhat by the fact he's still in the sport, although the stark difference between Dernie's excitable bouncing off the walls and Oatley's quiet understated, say as much as I need to say and nothing more manner was evident in the last film of the day (from 1981) as it was today

Time went very quickly today, which says a lot about the quality of the films. Well done all again, for another fantastic event.

#887 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 313 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 21:10

Yet again it is time to say a huge thank you to Richard and the gang for yet another superb day. As ever it was good to see old friends and also put faces to TNF names for the first time and the curry was as good a ever.

Murray was the perfect foil for the exuberance of Frank and the quiet understatement of Neil, see you all for the next one in January.

Some photos of the day can be found on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/med...2716&type=1

glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 20 October 2012 - 21:14.

#888 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,599 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 21:11

Another brilliant day, Richard. Many thanks to all. Sterling's table was also graced by Fred Gallagher. Did you notice that le Mans veteran entrant and team owner, and highly entertaining former TNF filmshow speaker, Hugh Chamberlain was in the audience?
Roger Lund

note What about the glorious sunset on the way home, too.

#889 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 21:28

Glyn wanted to stop on Dartford Bridge to test his camera ! I kid you not !

#890 mgtd

mgtd

• 135 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 21:37

I can only agree with the others.
A superb day's viewing,listening and chatting.
Great guests,good company and a very tasty curry!

We get fantastic sunsets like that all the time in Suffolk Roger and Sterl, Dave H. and I were too busy yabbering to even notice it on our blast back up the M11.

Stephen

#891 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,132 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 21:37

Superb day, as usual - thanks to Richard and the gang for all the unseen hard work to make it happen and to feed us so well.

This evening, I tried to explain to a semi-knowledgeable chum the Q&A line-up we'd enjoyed earlier, in a little village just down the road from home - he found it hard to believe and I can see his point. We really are very, very fortunate.

#892 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 580 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 22:59

Many thanks Richard, Christine and the team. The catering was up to and possibly beond its usual standard.
Dernie, Oatley and Murray Walker were fantastic.
I had to pinch myself once again while watching the emotional film of Murray's last season of commentary, with the man sitting less than six feet away to my right. I took the liberty of occasional peek in his direction during the film and noticed that his reactions mirrored those which he expressed in the film (especially at the end).

With Murray back for his third visit and as previously mentioned, many of the former guest speakers returning as paying attendees, it only goes to prove what a special event this has become. People outside of that small village hall could never guess at the rich cross section of motorsport royalty that has visited. Once again I feel very lucky to have been present.

Edited by garyfrogeye, 20 October 2012 - 23:00.

#893 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,523 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:19

Tim, how come we never spoke/met?

:blush: I'm not sure how it happened either, Sterling. I was looking forward to meeting you, but somehow we always seemed to be on opposite sides of the room.

Like Roger, I suspect, we were ideally placed heading west on the M25 whe it was at its most magnificent. The icing on the cake ...

#894 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:52

I can only echo the sentiments expressed above (except that our route home meant we were pointing the wrong way to see the sunset)

To be honest, having started losing interest in F1 in 1968, I was expecting not to enjoy the day as much as others, but came away thinking it had been one of the best, thanks principally to Dernie (Frank by name and frank by nature :) ) and Murray

Just back. Good meeting .... David McKinney thanks to whom our table won the quiz [we said the car behind Varzi’s was Nuvolari’s long before the tie breaker ;) ].

If I'd known Regazzoni better, and trusted him more, our table would have got two more points in the quiz :smoking:

#895 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,868 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:55

Well, I don't know him either but anyone who can recognise the Forli circuit, used in 1947 for just one race, deserves to be trusted implicitly.

#896 BRMfan

BRMfan

• 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:43

Many thanks to Richard and Christine foranother fantastic day Murray,Frank and Neil were most interesting as were the choice of films
Bruce Rankin

#897 rubystone

rubystone

• 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:09

Richard and team. Once again, fantastic event. Could've listened to Murray, Neil and Frank all day. Nearing 90, Murray still has all his marbles, that great voice and so, so sharp mind. Very emotional film of his last ITV season and Jennie tells me you shifted the order to accommodate our early exit? Thanks v much! He is a total treasure.

We left to head off to the BRDC for an evening with Christian Horner with a comment from Frank Dernie in our minds 'it takes 5 years for a team to be successful in F1'. As we all know, Red Bull Racing was establishd in 2005 and won its first titles in 2010. Wise words indeed...

Mark Piper

Edited by rubystone, 21 October 2012 - 08:10.

#898 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 479 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:36

A great day for myself and son Tom. Thanks to Richard and the team for a fine time. The Brooklands film featured a brief clip of the Jamieson Austin side-valve slim single-seater going out to race which we had never seen before.

A bit disheartening to listen to Neil and Frank's views on the future of engineering in future F1. Especially if you are a young engineer.

Think I'll stick to historics, at least I know where I stand.

#899 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,821 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:20

I can only echo the sentiments expressed above (except that our route home meant we were pointing the wrong way to see the sunset)

To be honest, having started losing interest in F1 in 1968, I was expecting not to enjoy the day as much as others, but came away thinking it had been one of the best, thanks principally to Dernie (Frank by name and frank by nature :) ) and Murray

If I'd known Regazzoni better, and trusted him more, our table would have got two more points in the quiz :smoking:

A fine win David, you will always keep us honest..and you had fewer members on your team, note to self...must try harder.......must try harder...........

You are formidable competion, as we always know and acknowledge, a fine win !

Advertisement

#900 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,907 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:53

Can I add my thanks to our hosts Richard and Christine for another memorable film show. A great choice of films and excellent guests in Murray, Frank and Neil. I felt the balance between interviews and films was just right and trust Richard to judge that correctly in future as well.

This really has turned into an institution. One day autographed Film Show programmes will be changing hands for serious money and we'll be able to boast that we were there.