TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show

• Please log in to reply
1051 replies to this topic

#51 Altitude

Altitude

• 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 21:28

Hello Richard.

I sent a message a few days ago mentioning that I was interested in attending on Saturday, but havn't heard anything and I have had problems recently with my e-mail connections. If there are still places available I would be interested in attending, provided there are sufficient seats, due to the fact that I am on crutches and unable to stand for more than a minute or two. If you could let me know if I could attend or not could you please send a PMand I would make further contact to arrange details.

Regards

Altitude.

Advertisement

#52 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:52

Yes and Yes Altitude I have PM'd and e-mailed you again ( I did get your email and replied by return) Yes we do have room for more people. Post again if still nothing gets through.

#53 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:09

I'm traveling from North Kent on Saturday and I am happy to share/give lifts to anyone who will need to cross the Thames at Dartford Tunnel. A good place to meet could be the Holiday Inn on the Kent side of the tunnel for anyone who is interested.

Glyn

#54 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 21:23

Richard,

There's something up with your e-mail. I tried to e-mail you and it bounced.

#55 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:53

I had a number of messages in all day yesterday and I have just tested it by e-mailing myself and it has just worked OK. If you still have trouble PM me Duncan.

With just 3 days to go , I am just amazed how far people are prepared to travel. Some of you are going to make round trips of several hundred miles. Apart from the films , there will be other points of interest on the motor racing theme, paintings and prints, cutaway drawings, models and DVDs.

Fine Motor racing Artist our own Andrew Kitson has generously supported the film show and will be in attendence with displays of his work and packages of prints for sale at sensationally low prices on the day of the show, astonishing work and great value , so don't miss this one off chance to grab some truly great paintings that are a joy to hang on your wall.
So you might want to bring some extra money with you ! Well done everybody for making the effort for this get together of a group of friends. All the snow is gone, forecast is dry, bright, and mild, hopefully travelling should be OK.

#56 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:50

I hope to see/hear that many badges were in evidence!

#57 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 13:06

I am very pleased to announce that I have just received news that former British Saloon Car champion , one of Britain's most versatile , successful and well known racing drivers, from the golden era of saloon and sportscar racing, national treasure and thoroughly all round nice bloke Jack Sears will be joining us in the audience on Saturday.Good news indeed.

Andrew's painting of just some of the highlights of Jack's career Look here for a picture of Jack and the painting at the website with all the details.

http://www.andrewkit...pages/8best.htm

David Force has completed compiling his motor racing history written quiz, which we will hand out at the beginning of the lunch break. He will then give you the answers during the afternoon break for tea .
There will be an award for the person with the most correct answers, which I am pleased to say will be presented by current Mclaren designer .

#58 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 13:39

Jack has agreed to come along as my guest along with another Norfolk resident Richard Styles. Two very good friends that I am delighted to bring along. Richard is very well known around the Snetterton scene, indeed he has been the 'Autosport' magazine photographer at the circuit ( and occasionally Cadwell ) since the 1970s and a regular spectator at Snett since the 50s, having grown up within earshot of the place.

I also asked Brian Lister, as he lives quite close to Albury. I spoke to him this morning and he is very disappointed to have to drop out, due to a recent eye operation. He asked me to apologise to all that attend and very much looks forward to our next show, whenever that will be.

#59 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 19:26

We have sounded Jack Sears out about signing books etc and he has confirmed that he will be more than happy to do so and is a very nice and most approachable chap. Of course Andrew will have those compilation 50 years of the British touring Car championship prints on sale and I'm sure jack would sign those where he features in the pictures.

We have a lot to fit in on the day and time will be tight at some points so it would be most helpful if you could keep an eye on the clock and keep to the time table where at all possible.It is the first time any of us have done anything like this so do try and bare with us if things don't go totally to plan, we will all try to learn from Saturday for future events. Thank you all for making the effort to come and I really do hope you all enjoy the day.

Advertisement

#60 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:49

Don't forget tomorrow is the day, Saturday 21st Feb !

We look forward to meeting you all, and I do hope you have an enjoyable day.Thanks in advance for everyone who has helped and thanks for your support to all of you that will be making your way tomorrow morning.

#61 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:21

Have fun, all, and don't forget to tell us what we missed! :wave:

#62 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,001 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 16:31

Lucky b******s :wave:

#63 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 18:08

Let me be the first to say "well done Richard", and thanks for an enjoyable day - good company and good films. Thanks for all your effort, and also to those who helped.
Nathan

#64 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 19:57

A great day Richard, thank you so much! Special thanks to your sister Jane and her family also, super food and catering, a lovely way to spend the day in amicable company, great films and some good friends. My friends from Bournemouth were well impressed, loved the films and the guests that were among us, and even David's quiz (gee that was b.....y hard) I do not know how Mr McKinney got 16, we struggled to get 11, and that was a Team Effort (Gary's Cronies). Thanks also to the displays and support of Andy, Tony and Gary, it was just a lovely event for TNF members to attend :up:

Great to meet with Barry Boor and Bradbury West, they had a bit of a drive to attend, well done guys :wave:

I will let another member post the programme, fantastic as it was, the Bruce McLaren documentary was brilliant, I am sure Neil Oatley must have watched with interest, as my guests and I did, what a nugget, well done Gary :clap:

#65 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 20:44

A really superb day - good films, good venue, good food, and very good company. Thanks for all the hard work Richard.

Your challenge (if you choose to accept it) - follow that. It will be very hard.

#66 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 22:10

A superb day, many thanks to Richard and his helpers for all their help and to Gary and John for their hard work selecting the films. I have to agree with Sterling, the Bruce McLaren film was fascinating.

glyn

#67 mgtd

mgtd

• 133 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 22:30

Richard,please allow me to add to all those comments above.I had been looking forward to the event with great anticipation,and it didn't dissapoint me at all.Great venue,catering and general ambience,and of course it was really good to put names to faces,nice to meet you chaps!And how good to chat to Jack Sears and have him autograph his book.Only one regret,with such super weather today I should have had the courage of my convictions and taken the old jalopy out of the garage for a good run-maybe a spring/summer Film Show would encourage a few TNFers to bring their interesting older motors?

Thanks again,

Stephen

#68 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 22:39

In the face of such eloquence what can I add? "Bl**dy G**d day, well done" should cover it.

#69 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 23:03

Agree with all the above - exceeded expectations
(And that's even without my unexpected bonus :) )

#70 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:49

A superb day, thanks to Richard and Gary for all the hard work. I don't think we could have a better location, what a superb village hall! A lovely building.

The 2 Crystal Palace films were my favourites, the saloons and F3, fantastic stuff.

Jack thought it was absolutely brilliant as did Richard Styles. Jack did not really know what to expect and all this 'www internet' malarkey is lost on him, so trying to explain how we all met in cyberspace to put this together was difficult, but he is very keen to join in next time and thought it was excellent, if he has nothing else in the diary.

Whilst watching the clips of the 1964 Brands GP, he whispered to me that it was wonderful to see old friends, especially the clips of Mike Spence who was a very good pal of his. He too was enthralled with the Wheelbase Graham Hill & Bruce McLaren films, both other good friends and rivals in sports and saloon races in the 60s of course. He said that Bette and Pat's comments and thoughts on their husband's racing were exactly what his first wife Cicely had said when he was racing and he still keeps in touch with both Bette and Pat. But his highlight was the Auto Union stuff.

A brilliant day and a couple of hours winding down at Jack's when we got back, often bringing into conversation what we had seen in the films...altogether excellent. A real treat for Richard too who has never had the opportunity to have a proper conversation with Jack or visit his home and he too would love to come to the next one.

A big thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my displayed works and to those of you who bought prints.
Andrew.

#71 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:18

Can I first say thank you all for your most generous comments.

Thanks for yesterday's efforts go to my sister Jane , her husband Bill and son Will for the superb food, to Christine Hood who so ably manned the reception desk, masterminded the administration and worked so hard all day long oiling the wheels, to John James expertise and hard work in bringing the projection equipment, setting up , and running the films.
To Gary Critcher for the film compilation and editing and support in the whole project. To Andrew Kitson for his vital financial contribution which enabled us to even think about staging it at all and general support and his displays of his fantastic paintings in the hall. To friends Geoff and John for all their behind the scenes help yesterday.
To Tony Matthews for bringing his magnificent cutaway drawings for display ,Gary's 'Yesterday's Racers DVD display and Roger Smith's books.
Special thanks to those of you who kindly stayed on and helped with putting all the tables and chairs away. To Duncan Rollo who was there at 9.00am as we arrived and single handedly got 120 chairs out from the storage shed in to the hall.

An most of all , to all of you who came yesterday and made up the audience, many from enormous distances from all directions of the compass, many doing hundreds of miles . Road travel these days is both expensive and far from easy any more and we thank you for making the effort, without that of course nothing can happen - without your support.

Really wonderful to see Jack Sears who is such a gentleman in all senses of the word and former F1 driver John Campbell-Jones.

David McKinney managed to unravel most of David McLaughlin's far from easy but brilliantly conceived motor racing history quiz in the tea interval and took the award. I will post it up later and you can all have a go at it !

A special mention to Mr Barry Boor who made a 500 mile round trip on his own just to attend yesterday's event and brought with him that table full of hand crafted GP models you all so admired. Amazing effort Barry under the circumstances it was nice to see you !

I will put some photos up later. Thanks again to all who helped.

#72 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:28

THE FIRST ‘HISTORY OF MOTOR RACING ON FILM’ QUIZ
1. ‘TOTO’ ROCHE WAS FAMOUS FOR WAVING THE FLAG AT THE START OF A
GRAND PRIX WHILST STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRACK. WHAT WAS
HIS REAL NAME ……………………………………………………………………………..
2. DAN GURNEY WAS THE SUBJECT OF A ROAD & TRACK CAMPAIGN
WHY............................................................................................................................................
3. WHAT WAS JIM CLARK’S FIRST WIN IN A FORMULA 1
LOTUS…………………………………………………………………………………………..
4. FERRARI DRIVERS ONCE SCORED 22 POINTS IN A GRAND PRIX. HOW ?
......................................................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................................................
5. WHO DESIGNED THE ZANDVOORT CIRCUIT…………………………………………….
6. WHAT WAS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN A SHOPKEEPER AND A SURBITON
GARAGE OWNER……………………………………………………………………………..
7. WHAT CAR DID TREVOR TAYLOR DRIVE IN THE 1966 BRITISH GRAND
PRIX…………………………………………………………………………………………….
8. WHAT IS THE ‘S’ IN DSJ……………………………………………………………………..
9. WHICH DRIVERS SHARED THE FERGUSON IN THE 1961 BRITISH GRAND
PRIX……………………………………………………………………………………………..
10. WHAT CAR DID ROB WALKER ENTER IN THE 1962 SILVERSTONE
INTERNATIONAL TROPHY AND WHO WAS THE DRIVER
…………………………………………………………………………………………………..
11. WHAT LINKS A BRM DRIVER A MCLAREN DRIVER AND A VANWALL
DRIVER………………………………………………………………………………………..
12. WHAT CAR DID JIM CLARK DRIVE IN THE 1967 SOUTH AFRICAN GRAND
PRIX……………………………………………………………………………………………..
13. WHAT WAS STRANGE ABOUT RICHARD ATTWOOD’S GRAND PRIX
DEBUT………………………………………………………………………………………….
14. WHICH CIRCUIT DESIGNER IS MARRIED TO A FORMULA 1 DRIVER
………………………………………………………………………………………………….
15. THE HISTORY OF MOTOR RACING FILM FLYER HAS AN ANDREW KITSON
PICTURE OF A FERRARI, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN AND WHY IS IT UNIQUE
………………………………………………………………......................................................
…….. ……………………………………………………………………………………………
16. WHICH DRIVER WON HIS FIRST FORMULA THREE FORMULA RACES AND
WHERE WERE THEY ………………………………………………………………………
…….……………………………………………………………………………………………
17. WHICH RALLY DRIVER SCORED WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS IN HIS FIRST
GRAND PRIX, AND WHERE ………………………………………………………………
18. WHICH FERRARI WORKS DRIVER WON A COUPE DES ALPES
………………………………………………………………………………………..
19. WHAT DO THE INITIALS FWMV STAND FOR …………………………………
…………………………………………………………………………………………
20. WHAT LINKS T251 AND RA 272 ………………….. ………………. …………………..
21. WHO WAS THE LAST DRIVER TO SCORE EIGHT POINTS FOR A WORLD
CHAMPIONSHIP WIN IN AMERICA AND WHY ………………………………..
………………………………………………………………………………………….
22. WHICH BRITISH F1 CAR WON 25 RACES FROM 96 STARTS ………………….
23. THE 1971 BRITISH GP WAS THE FIRST TO INCORPORATE A SPONSOR’S NAME,
WHICH ? ………………………………………………….
24. WHAT LINKS ‘FIVE AND DIME’ AND M23 ……………………………………………
25. TIE BREAK: FOR HOW LONG WAS FELIPE MASSA ‘WORLD CHAMPION’ IN 2008
……………………….
SMALL PRINT: THERE ARE NO RULES. ANY DISPUTES, DEBATES ETC MAY BE CONDUCTED ON TNF. THE
JUDGES DECISIONS ARE FINAL. IF NECESSARY THE TIE BREAK WILL DECIDE. ANYONE SEEN DISAPPEARING
IN THE DIRECTION OF THE TOILETS CLUTCHING A HAND HELD COMPUTER WILL BE PUBLICLY AWARDED
THE GEROGE MICHAEL AWARD.

#73 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,600 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:48

I can only echo what others have said. Unfortunately due to other commitments we had to leave after the afternoon tea break, thus missing the final session of films.

The footage from Crystal Palace was wonderful. As we discussed over lunch it reminded us that racing could be close, competitive, fair and with no deliberate bodywork damage (although the closing moments of the F3 coverage did show an attempt at some deliberate body damage). The film highlight for me, however, was the Auto Union piece.

An excellent event, congratulations to all concerned.

#74 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:50

Originally posted by RTH

A special mention to Mr Barry Boor who made a 500 mile round trip on his own just to attend yesterday's event and brought with him that table full of hand crafted GP models you all so admired. Amazing effort Barry under the circumstances it was nice to see you !

I was amazed to park up next to a car with a Red Dragon on its number plate. Respect Barry! That is a long old haul, I would guess the other "long distance" traveller was Bradbury West, Roger had a fair few miles to cover also, men after my own heart! Have car will travel, well done guys, and especially nice to meet up with Mr Boor.I am still wondering where the day went :confused:

Re:Quiz........

ANYONE SEEN DISAPPEARING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE TOILETS CLUTCHING A HAND HELD COMPUTER WILL BE PUBLICLY AWARDED THE GEORGE MICHAEL AWARD. :lol:

No googling guys :cat:

#75 MCS

MCS

• 3,539 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:55

A wonderful day. I couldn't say which was my favourite film - there were so many good ones.

Very well done to all who made it possible. It was absolutely faultless really; great venue, terrific films, good company, excellent food. I'm looking forward to the next one already! Fantastic!! :clap:

#76 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:03

Posted Image
Cinema area with 44 people present

Posted Image
Dining area at Lunch break

Posted Image
Out on the terrace overlooking open countryside at the mid afternnoon tea interval in warm 14 deg sunshine

Posted Image
David McLaughlin revealing the quiz answers

Posted Image
Artist Andrew Kitson

Posted Image
Lto R Glyn Parham, Stephen Lee, Barry Boor and Duncan Rollo.

We were especially pleased to welcome a number of well known motor racing personalities

British Saloon car champion and sports car driver Jack Sears.
Ex F1 driver John Campbell-Jones.
Current Mclaren designer now credited with 20 world championships Neil Oatley
A man with a lifetime's experience with Grand Prix teams and with F1 drivers Sheridan Thynne

#77 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,275 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:24

I'm really sorry I was not able to support this, clearly splendid, event by attending. I had been looking forward to it - especially after Richard and Gary had extolled its potential at our Brooklands gathering earlier in the year - but I've been unwell for a time and have been laid unexpectedly low by some relatively minor but invasive surgery (nothing embarrassingly personal, but fairly gruesome all the same). I'm now so far behind with work that I really couldn't set the time aside to join in.

It does sound as if I missed a marvellous day out - congrats to everyone who helped make it happen.
I hope the success will prompt another do in the future? I'll try harder next time!

I'll have a go at the quiz later on, but fear I would not quite have challenged David for the prize!
What was it, btw? Reading between the lines, I might be able to guess...
Don't understand Q16... should it read "Who won his first three formula one races...?" That sounds too obvious though...

#78 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:54

Originally posted by 2F-001
I'm really sorry I was not able to support this, clearly splendid, event by attending. I had been looking forward to it - especially after Richard and Gary had extolled its potential at our Brooklands gathering earlier in the year - but I've been unwell for a time and have been laid unexpectedly low by some relatively minor but invasive surgery (nothing embarrassingly personal, but fairly gruesome all the same). I'm now so far behind with work that I really couldn't set the time aside to join in.

It does sound as if I missed a marvellous day out - congrats to everyone who helped make it happen.
I hope the success will prompt another do in the future? I'll try harder next time!

I'll have a go at the quiz later on, but fear I would not quite have challenged David for the prize!
What was it, btw? Reading between the lines, I might be able to guess...
Don't understand Q16... should it read "Who won his first three formula one races...?" That sounds too obvious though...

David McKinney did very well, not surprisingly, and deserved his prize. he had some good alternative answers too !

Sorry to hear TF-001 couldn't attend, next time let's hope

Oh Dear, on two counts...

Oh Dear One: the typo which actually was correct on the sheets at the show, yes the '1' is missing.

Oh Dear Two: for TF-001, as the answer isn't that obvious... I tried the quiz on Simon Arron knowing he was unable to attend who instantly came back with his (not so obvious ) answer.

It was all meant to be fun and kept people amused during the breaks. In fact another Oh Dear was that an alternative answer to question 6 came up in one of the films and a few alert TNFers quickly noted it down, well done chaps, wake up at the back there !

The aim was to try to provide questions with interesting answers not just factual ones. I am sure some of them will be debated but I did do it all from memory which isn't what it was, if I recall correctly...

#79 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:13

Just another word of thanks to those involved for organising the event and to all who worked so hard on the day, which was most enjoyable, and to say what a delight it was to meet erstwhile sports racer and formula one driver John Campbell-Jones again, a man whose company never disappoints, and whose recall of those halcyon days remains as sharp as ever.

IIRC there may be 2 options for Q20
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#80 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,301 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:43

Originally posted by bradbury west

Not to mention Q17 - and I'm looking forward to hearing the answer for Q21 ...

I really wish I could have been there, but SWMBO had other plans - which then fell through - arrrgghhh!

Maybe next time ...

#81 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,275 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:52

Originally posted by bradbury west
Roger Lund

Off the top of my head, I can only think of the thing that would also link then both to, say, a Muira.
Is there, perhaps, something else relating to personnel or racing record then?

Q21 - is there something to that one more complex than actually remembering the name? Have I missed something trickier altogether?

Q17 - I called the obvious 1960s Brit to mind; didn't bothering thinking for another! It's quite an achievement - there can't be too many.

I reckon I could have plausible attempts at maybe only fifteen of them.

#82 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:59

Richard, when I think back to the 'birth of a notion' all those months ago, I am more than impressed by what you and your family/colleagues achieved. All those suggested venues that failed to deliver, the actual venue which I thought could not really be improved , and the film show itself - I will not forget the massed oohs and aahs and spontaneous applause for the Crystal Palace Saloon car event. Congratulations.

#83 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 15:43

Alan Cox and I, in telephonic discussion, have also come up with a more obvious answer for Q11 than the 'correct' one ;)

#84 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 15:55

I'd be interested to know what all you Limeys thought of "The Sound of Speed"? It is an unusual look at an aspect of motor racing and may not thrill everyone.
(If they are dead from the neck up, blind and deaf that is....) :p

#85 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 16:17

Originally posted by 2F-001
[B]
Off the top of my head, I can only think of the thing that would also link then both to, say, a Muira.
]

Tony, I was thinking of the gearbox situation also, transverse and almost integral with the crankcase
Roger Lund

#86 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 18:37

Originally posted by David Birchall
I'd be interested to know what all you Limeys thought of "The Sound of Speed"? It is an unusual look at an aspect of motor racing and may not thrill everyone.
(If they are dead from the neck up, blind and deaf that is....) :p

Thank you David, it arrived after we had finalised the main screen programme this time , and I played it on the small TVs running all day in the hall and with all the activity going on in the down time periods and because we could not give it the sound it required and deserved many people may not have been aware of it . However we will give it a proper outing next time with the benefit of the full amplified sound system and the howl of that big V8 in the Scarab in the desert in what was a highly professionally made early '60s period piece.

Can I thank you publically again for taking the time an effort to get an all regions copy made and getting to me in quick time all the way from Canada, It is safe in the archive vault ready for a UK debut , this most unusual film will be something to look forward to in a proper setting next time!

#87 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 19:19

Originally posted by Tony Matthews
Richard, when I think back to the 'birth of a notion' all those months ago, I am more than impressed by what you and your family/colleagues achieved. All those suggested venues that failed to deliver, the actual venue which I thought could not really be improved , and the film show itself - I will not forget the massed oohs and aahs and spontaneous applause for the Crystal Palace Saloon car event. Congratulations.

Well thank you Tony, well you were there that evening in the late Autumn when you ,Mark, Andy , Sterling, Caroline, Geoff, Nathan ,David myself and others floated the idea in 'The Tudor Oaks' ( and by the way we have not given those meetings up either ) and tried to think how and if we could make it work and its all been a bit of serendipity really. now we are looking at ideas of how to make the next one better.

By the way do all feel free to express the type/period/action/interviews/people/cars material that you most enjoy seeing and within the constraints of what we have available we will do our best to tailor it accordingly.
interestingly , someone has named nearly all the pieces as being 'their favourite' so clearly wide variety is a must.

#88 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 20:12

Posted Image
Barry Boor's scale model GP cars

Posted Image
Tony Matthews amazing cutaways

Posted Image
Gary Critcher's yesterdays racers DVDs

Posted Image
Andrew Kitson's paintings

Posted Image
table of Andrew Kitson's prints on offer

Posted Image
the TNF fleet ,one brave soul came in a Lotus 7 with the hood down !

If you possibly can do please patronise Andrew Kitson's paintings and prints and Gary Critcher's yesterdays racers historic motor racing DVDs.
They both have some spectacular offers at present that cannot last long are both fantastic products. They have both helped us greatly with the film show and you can really help the general effort by going to their website and purchasing their wares and in the process do yourself a great favour whilst repaying them for their faith.

www.andrewkitson.com

www.yesterdaysracers.com

#89 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 20:21

Originally posted by RTH
Can I first say thank you all for your most generous comments.

~To Duncan Rollo who was there at 9.00am as we arrived and ~

I think I should explain that I thought it was a 9.30 start :blush: :o
Being used to a human navigator, I didn't trust the young lady inside my satnav so I allowed an extra half hour...

#90 condor

condor

• 11,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 21:39

I was just thinking what crap cars there were in the car park ( my little red ka would have shone out like a beacon, but would have been nice to see some sportscars)
Unfortunately I couldn't be there due to a recent bereavement and the 'section' squad on the loose...I'm glad you all had such a good time :)
If there's a next one I hope to go to it....otherwise I guess I see you friends at the FoS or Silverstone Classic

#91 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 22:33

Originally posted by David McKinney
Alan Cox and I, in telephonic discussion, have also come up with a more obvious answer for Q11 than the 'correct' one ;)

There was probably more than one answer to a few, some folk tried too hard to find a complex answer, some didn't.

I would be interested to know what the more obvious answer to Q11 was though, as I said at the time the answer I gave was possibly too easy.

2F-001 is correct about the Muira link, anything else stems from that, few people got that one.

Q21 David McKinney was right on the night with his answer, I was trying to be too clever here and I missed the obvious that time. Sorry Stirling !

DM was also probably more correct with his secret answer to Q24, in my hurry to produce the quiz and cut back to just 25 questions I scrambled the original question which was to do with beetles... sorry but David would have won anyway.

Q17 I did not think was difficult, but then I was actually there for my first Continental GP. As stated earlier it wasn't just the answers but the tales behind them which were probably interesting and in fact the rally driver proved elusive which surprised me but the significance of the winner was huge and nobody spotted it.

:cool:

#92 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 22:46

Originally posted by condor
I was just thinking what crap cars there were in the car park ...

You seem not to have noticed my van, last but one in the row, and buffed up specially for the occasion!;)

#93 condor

condor

• 11,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 22:59

Originally posted by Tony Matthews

You seem not to have noticed my van, last but one in the row, and buffed up specially for the occasion!;)

That tatty thing? well at least you washed it before coming out :)

#94 condor

condor

• 11,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 23:02

David - it's got to be asked ( re previous post)

Did you go into the toilet with your 'whatever' and google the answers?

#95 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 23:17

Originally posted by David Force
I would be interested to know what the more obvious answer to Q11 was though, as I said at the time the answer I gave was possibly too easy

John Surtees - InterContinental Vanwall, works BRMs, private McLaren

And Condor - certainly not :wave:

#96 condor

condor

• 11,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 23:32

Well done then :)
Your prize was deserved....what was it?

#97 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,301 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 00:34

Originally posted by David Force
I would be interested to know what the more obvious answer to Q11 was though, as I said at the time the answer I gave was possibly too easy.

Originally posted by David McKinney
John Surtees - InterContinental Vanwall, works BRMs, private McLaren

David McK's answer is the only one I could come up with, after much racking of brain - what was David F's answer, please?

#98 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:57

Originally posted by condor
Well done then :)
Your prize was deserved....what was it?

Posted Image

#99 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:08

What was the expected answer to question 4? Unless my arithmetic is faulty, it has happened at least three times and in two different ways.

Advertisement

#100 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:40

I went for Belgium 1961 - about the only answer I thought I knew!!! Apart from the Gurney question.