Photo

TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

#1001 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:37

Just to add my thanks to Richard and the Gang - another memorable day, with the Brode as the latest in a long list of 'star turns', the (uncensored) like of which you won't hear anywhere else.  Glad Wendy Markey was also allowed to get a word or two in!

Advertisement

#1002 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 166 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:01

You will not find David's book anywhere because it has not been published . He puts a couple of chapters up on his website from time to time.

Unfortunately publishing your own books these days is something of a license to lose money. We did discuss this yesterday as clearly amongst those of us , there certainly is demand..

Simon Arron of course would , as a professional highly regarded and experience author would be perfect to proof read and edit the present manuscript in to  an attractively presented an concise book for the motor sport literary market. As you may imagine the present draft would make rather a lengthy multi-volume tome. It may of course need a glance or two by the lawyers first.

So if you know a suitable publisher well disposed to this sort of book, maybe we should start lobbying for it to go into print - it would certainly be a great read.

Perhaps crowd funding (as per Dario Franchitti / Andy Hallbery - Romance of Racing) would be a possible route forward ?

An excellent day yesterday enjoyed by three generations of this family.

#1003 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:19

I would suggest http://www.kickstarter.com/

(I did write more on this but my post disappeared!)

Edited by Allen Brown, 12 January 2014 - 12:20.

#1004 DN5

DN5

• 278 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 16:23

I would also add my thanks to all involved at yesterday's event.

I was wondering if the event should be a 9:00 for a 9:30 start as that seems to be viable based on how many are there before 9:30!

#1005 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 20:00

Unfortunately football was cancelled and we lost 2-1, but was sorry to miss yet another show.
Glad to hear Brode went down well, I did warn Richard beforehand his stories are great!!
Great to hear Wendy got a few words in too, great lady, one of my late Mums best friends and a bloody quick driver too, more so then she gets appreciation for.
I do have the misfortune of having a copy of Dave's book - a few chapters he sent to my late Mum and also the rest from a mutual friend and all I will say is that no publisher will ever publish it - make of that what you will and I even get a mention in it and I still can't see it being published ;)
I think Dave knows what he needs to do to publish it and that's entirely up to him and good luck if he does - a great public speaker and story teller.

#1006 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 21:21

In 1943 Howard Hughes completed a film called " The Outlaw"  starring Jane Russell which had already been in production since 1941. It was said the film was far too hot to get a release and that items of Miss Russell;s wardrobe had actually  been scientifically designed by the Hughes Aircraft corporation specifically for the film.

This caused enormous amounts of publicity, Hughes then deliberately put the film on the shelf  for  3  years and rumour got out that the film censors would not give it a certificate- which was not true.

When Howard Hughes finally released the film in 1946  the pent up fascination with the story made the box office response enormous and launched Miss Russell's film career. Nothing like saying you cannot have something.

Edited by RTH, 12 January 2014 - 21:28.

#1007 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:10

Many thanks for all the kind words.
Firstly my thanks to the 67 of you who came

Thanks to Dave Brodie who was wonderfully entertaining, quite exceptional  over 2 hours or more as he talked to Motor Sport’s Simon Arron who did a splendid job as he always does  with detailed research  and unequaled memory of events  even 40 years ago.

David was a quite outstanding driver in his era no matter what he was driving he always went well,  frequently demoralising all the opposition.  This was really brilliant stuff, wonderfully funny and quite revealing. We could easily have all listened to hours more – I do hope he will come back again.

To Wendy Markey-Amey on her career as a driver  with so many  eye opening revelations of the time. Looking at Wendy’s record my goodness  she was successful frequently beating some very big names in production saloon car racing and  thanks to her  for being so entertaining.

To my sister Jane , her husband Bill and sons Will & Tom ,  who produced and served up just delicious food all day - huge effort goes in to all this home made food from the finest ingredients in preparation long before we all sit down on a Saturday it was just lovely much thanks to them all.
To Christine who runs reception with such efficiency, for everyone of the 15 shows so far, as well as the paperwork and a multitude of other functions which makes it all work on the day an essential and much appreciated contribution.
To Geoff Hawkes who has spent days with me doing preparation transport setting up very early Saturday morning nearly single handed then working in the kitchen fabulous effort much appreciated. A stellar effort when they were short handed in the kitchen, Geoff is a real unsung hero of the day and we just could not do it without him , brilliant.

To Doug Harper who always arrives really early  pitches in with whatever is needed and is massively helpful in the kitchen with Bill & Jane our grateful thanks to him.

As usual mostly  thanks to yourselves , without continued loyal supporters we just could not keep going………and I should say this more often thank you all so much for staying behind  stacking  and putting all the tables and chairs away this really is a gigantic help  many thanks indeed.

David telephoned Sunday morning  to thank us for an enjoyable day especially the audience  who he said were the most knowledgeable and responsive he had ever encountered and asked me to pass on his thanks.

So put Saturday May 3rd in your diaries as the next get together

#1008 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:54

I would post up pictures etc - but it looks as if imageshack has been hacked and you cannot now get to it anyone know more ?

#1009 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,689 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:21

One of your star turns from Saturday, Richard, taken in 1975

ToB1975WendyMarkey_zpsc3b70501.jpg

#1010 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:28

Not your typical racing driver Alan, I had forgotten how pretty she was, although that was clear to see on Saturday !

#1011 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:26

Rod Waller's take on Dave Brodie's 1970s

carpits.jpg

#1012 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:29

m.png

#1013 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:33

Dave Brodie, Simon Arron and Wendy Markey-Amey

f.png

#1014 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:36

As some of you may know already, my lovely sister Jane  who has prepared all the food for the 15 film shows so far had a terrible accident on Monday  falling from a ladder on to a hard surface and has multiple breakages to  shoulder, pelvis and wrist.

She is at present lying in a bed in the major trauma unit at St Marys Paddington awaiting more surgery. Goes without saying i wish her a speedy & full recovery.

3.jpg1.jpg

#1015 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 576 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:45

Oh Richard, this is another bit of terrible news.

Please wish Jane as speedy a recovery as possible from me.

That actually sounds a bit lame, but you know what I mean.

Gary

#1016 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,689 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:54

Hear, hear, may I echo Gary's sentiments - That is awful to hear, Richard. I have only met Jane once at a film show, but how could I forget the splendid fare which she and her 'team' produced.

My best wishes to her for a full and swift recovery.

#1017 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,374 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:16

Very sorry to hear this, Richard. May I join everyone else in wishing her a very rapid recovery and as little discomfort as possible along the way.

#1018 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,149 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 13:53

Richard, likewise sincere wishes for a quick and comfortable recovery. Her work - nay - magic with the food is always a highlight. Let me know if there is anything that can be done to help with May's show.

#1019 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 16:01

I have just been  overwhelmed  by the messages of good wishes and support  both on here and by email.

What a lovely lot of people you all are! My grateful thanks ,,everyone will be passed to Jane.

Advertisement

#1020 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 475 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 16:43

Jane and the team's food is an essential part of the day and they do a marvellous job.

Please pass on my best wishes and hope that she gets well soon. 

#1021 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 17:05

So sorry to hear this, Richard.  Please wish her all the best - the Film Show wouldn't be the same without her 'magic ingredients', so I hope she realises she's duty-bound to Get Well Soon!

#1022 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 20:26

Omigawd! 

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

#1023 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,602 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 21:10

I can only echo what others have said - Jane's food is an essential element in the make up of the Film Shows. Please pass on our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Frank & Jenny

#1024 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 166 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 21:42

Very best wishes from three generations of Harbey's who have enjoyed films and food in equal measure !

Edited by dwh43scale, 27 February 2014 - 20:44.

#1025 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 17:32

So sorry to hear this, please pass on my best wishes too

#1026 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 16:17

Sorry to hear your news Richard.

Best wishes to Jane for a speedy recovery.

#1027 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 21:37

I know Richard will be busy with last minute details,so I will bump this thread, and remind everybody that the TNF Film Show is this coming Saturday, 3rd May. It is a Jim Clark Show, and guests will include Peter Windsor, Bobs, Dance and Sparshot and Cedric Seltzer. Just a few places remaining should anybody wish to attend, always a great day out.

#1028 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 22:00

I'm told a couple of the films to be shown will be quite rare, too.

#1029 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:40

I'm told a couple of the films to be shown will be quite rare, too.

Sounds good Gary, are you attending?

#1030 anpaul

anpaul

• 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:30

Looking forward to this. :up:

#1031 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,149 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 19:34

Well done everyone on another excellent show.

I've had mixed feelings on Peter Windsor before today, but his memory, his enthusiasm and his style were mightily impressive. I suspect he is too busy, but he'd be an excellent compere/interviewer for the future.

Cedric Seltzer was brilliant, and it was good to see Bob Dance in full health as opposed to last time.

Excellent food and good films, although the very last film - The Quiet Champion - was incredibly poignant and very sad at the end (Poor Dan Gurney still choked up by Jim's death brought a lump to my throat) - emotionally, it might've felt a little better to put that on first, especially as it explored his Berwickshire heritage.

Well done team Hinton again!

PS Peter introduced two people who came down with him, but I didn't make out who they were - who was the 1st person introduced with the BRDC badge?

#1032 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 19:37

Many thanks to all of you who attended today-  sure you will agree,  Peter Windsor did a magnificent job all day long in conversation with the other three guest speakers Cedric Seltzer, Bob Dance and Andrew Tulloch. Great many thanks to all of them on a day devoted to the life and career of Jim Clark.

Many thanks to Gary Critcher for providing some of the rare films from his  Suercharged Collection online website.

Edited by RTH, 04 May 2014 - 09:13.

#1033 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 166 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 20:31

Agree, an excellent day again.

#1034 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,374 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:21

PS Peter introduced two people who came down with him, but I didn't make out who they were - who was the 1st person introduced with the BRDC badge?

If I heard Peter correctly, the first person was Greg Field. The second chap was called Viv and is currently working with the Bloodhound Project - Google reveals that a Viv Cowley is a member of the Bloodhound team, but I can't say definitely that it's him.

Thanks to Richard and his hard-working team for another tremendous day's entertainment, and it was good to see Jane back doing her usual great job. Roll on October.

#1035 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:12

Thanks to Richard and team, a quite splendid day, as Tim says, really a nice surprise to see Jane on her feet again, I really did expect to see her in a wheelchair! Jane and Bill and all of the team did a quite fabulous job as usual, thank you !

Missed a lot of people again yesterday, including you Tim! Where does the time go? Lovely day of tales of a great driver, that used to drive down my way quite often fortunately. A big thank you to Pete Windsor, Bob Dance and Cedric Seltzer, also good to hear Andrew Tulloch's input, I was in the JC Room a few weeks ago.

A walk back in time, a superb day.

#1036 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:08

If I heard Peter correctly, the first person was Greg Field. The second chap was called Viv and is currently working with the Bloodhound Project - Google reveals that a Viv Cowley is a member of the Bloodhound team, but I can't say definitely that it's him.

Thanks to Richard and his hard-working team for another tremendous day's entertainment, and it was good to see Jane back doing her usual great job. Roll on October.

Yes it is definitely him Tim.

#1037 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:25

ccf14042014_000004.jpgThis is the specially commissioned  Rod Waller cartoon we presented to Peter Windsor at teatime yesterday. Rod imagined a scene  when Jim Clark was racing in Australia in the  mid 1960s and a young teenage Peter was already  a big fan.

Edited by RTH, 04 May 2014 - 08:27.

#1038 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:00

P1000672.jpgMichael Hipperson's photo of LtoR  Andrew Tulloch, Bob Dance, Cedric Seltzer and Peter Windsor  - below

tulloch0043.jpg

Edited by RTH, 04 May 2014 - 09:09.

#1039 DN5

DN5

• 278 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:18

Thanks to Richard and the superb team for another good time. 

I agree with Richard Jenkins that the Quiet Champion certainly had some moving moments.

Geoff

Advertisement

#1040 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 16:33

'The Quiet Champion' - the way motorsport documentaries SHOULD be made.

#1041 FrankB

FrankB

• 2,602 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 20:25

Thanks and congratulations to all concerned for yet another excellent day.

#1042 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:14

P1000666.jpgP1000663.jpgP1000677.jpgP1000680.jpgP1000690.jpgP1000654.jpg

#1043 rubystone

rubystone

• 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:45

Lovely day in all aspects. Great to see Jane on her feet too. As Bill said to me 'she's well enough to tell me what to do' :)

What a fiendish quiz too.

The last film on Clark; I have never seen it before and it was very moving indeed. Excellent piece.

Anyone who hasn't visited the rooms, his grave and the memorial in Churnside, restored courtesy of some generous people marshalled by one of our number, please go. You won't be disappointed.

#1044 hipperson

hipperson

• 565 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:15

A most enjoyable Saturday with the bonus of sunshine

Peter Windsor, as ever, the consumate interviewer...........his very recent assignment on behalf of a world bank was interviewing Mario Andretti at a Monaco hotel so a coup for Richard getting him.

Plenty of good Lotus stories from Cedric & Bob...I never tire of listening to those two !

I know matters move at a slower pace in the Borders but a shame to have to wait till 2018 for the Jim Clark museum extension

Interestingly Andrew Tulloch said that most of the 3-4000 visitors a year come from the South East.

Other highlights were Jane's selection of yummy puddings and that coffee & walnut cake at teatime.

Edited by hipperson, 05 May 2014 - 21:16.

#1045 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 21:33

I know matters move at a slower pace in the Borders but a shame to have to wait till 2018 for the Jim Clark museum extension
Interestingly Andrew Tulloch said that most of the 3-4000 visitors a year come from the South East.

I picked up on this too Michael, maybe it has something to do with 2-3 visits annualy, that Jim made to Brands during his career, and as we all remember, there were good crowds attending too. Halcyon days. I visited Duns just a fortnight ago.

#1046 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 67 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:39

Thanks to all who bought books from me. Your generosity has raised  a further £460 for Marie Curie Cancer Care. By the way, I am not part of the Alka Seltzer family. It is SELZER no T.

#1047 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,276 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:33

Thank you very much, Cedric (and indeed all of the 'panellists'), for coming along to entertain and educate us.

I am muchly enjoying the anecdotes in the book.

With specific regard to Jim Clark, it's notable that from a fairly short life - and a generally well-documented one - there are still 'new' anecdotes, angles and background stories for us to hear.

Inevitably the various films cover some of the same ground and rely broadly on the same pool of filmed material, but there was still plenty of stuff I don't recall having seen before -- in particular the spectacular footage of the Cortinas at Sebring.

#1048 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:00

Many thanks for all the kind words, we were indeed  blessed with splendid guest speakers.

#1049 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,276 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:03

In a seven-page feature on Dan Gurney in 'Car and Driver' (Jan '71), DSG is quoted thus:

"After Jimmy was killed, I began thinking seriously about retiring. There just didn't seem to be as much reason for going on with racing after that."

On a lighter note, the same feature is introduced by another quote...

"Are you sure your readers want to hear another old, retired, gray-haired racing driver reminisce about his career? Seems like they must have heard it all too many times before."

#1050 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 250 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:07

I would recommend that people read the foreword Dan wrote to "Jim Clark- Life at Team Lotus". People who have the book will know what I mean.

Declaring interest as the Author.