Photo

TNF Hertfordshire UK Film Show

• Please log in to reply
1051 replies to this topic

#101 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:51

When do we get to see the original list of answers and then the FIA (or TNF!!) approved list of answers?

Advertisement

#102 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 13:41

It looked like a fun event :up:

#103 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 14:01

Originally posted by Tim Murray
David McK's answer is the only one I could come up with, after much racking of brain - what was David F's answer, please?

The 'official' answer was Lewis, as in Lewis Hamilton, Stuart Lewis Evans and Jack Lewis. But David McKinney's answer was altogether more appropriate for that gathering. I did say it was a question for the seven year olds !

David's plaque was awarded to him by Neil Oatley, who also scored pretty well in the quiz. Nice to know there is soul amongst the modern F1 guys.

Belgium 1961 was the answer Barry. Remember when Michael Schumacher thought he had taken part in the first ever Ferrari 1-2 !!! :cool:

#104 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,824 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 14:11

So what were Roger's other two? (Question 4)

#105 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 16:04

Originally posted by condor
David - it's got to be asked ( re previous post)

Did you go into the toilet with your 'whatever' and google the answers?

Well, I guess condor can be forgiven for not knowing these things, being female and all that, but the 'whatever' we carry with us into the toilets is no good for googling...

Originally posted by condor

That tatty thing? well at least you washed it before coming out :)

#106 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 16:10

Originally posted by fines
Well, I guess condor can be forgiven for not knowing these things, being female and all that, but
the 'whatever' we carry with us into the toilets is no good for googling...

No, and mine's not 'tatty', either! Well used but scrupulously clean...

#107 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,203 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 17:28

Originally posted by Barry Boor
So what were Roger's other two? (Question 4)

Well, one of them must be Germany 1952, I think, but I haven't managed to work the other one out yet.

#108 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,999 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 19:46

Originally posted by Tim Murray
Well, one of them must be Germany 1952, I think, but I haven't managed to work the other one out yet.

My mistake, I thought they had another 1-2-3-4 in 1952.

#109 David Holland

David Holland

• 166 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 21:22

Well done to Richard, John and Gary it was a great event and in a very relaxed formula which made for a very comfortable and friendly atmosphere.

The Hill and Mclaren films were superb and it was a privilege to watch such rarities. John Campbell-Jones commented that watching Graham was like seeing an old family film.

Well done David for winning the quiz, although I would like to point out I had Mr Moss and his 8 point win at Riverside as my answer for Q21 - but that only gave me 13 anyway!

Also what links Peter Revson with Woolworths for Q23 I'm a bit confused?

#110 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 23:36

it was a fun day!

#111 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,824 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:34

Actually, Gary, it was a faturday.

#112 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 15:39

David McK has just asked me where I was. I was at home, in blissful ignorance. (It's just west of Guildford.)

Sounds like it was fun. I shall be there next time.

Allen

#113 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 16:02

We are planning another one , so do email me if you want to be included anyone. 50 people looks like being our upper limit.

#114 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:12

The next TNF Hertfordshire motor racing film show will be on :-

Saturday 8th August 2009

Same venue , all day, Hall is booked for us, similar format as in February
Morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea.

That is 3 months from now, I know that is quite a way off, we are going in to the peak wedding reception period and all their Saturdays are booked until then.
So, plenty of notice ,please put the date in your diary we would very much like to see all of you who came to the first one again, plus , those unable to make the first one and more friends. I know it is a holiday time but nowadays people are away all around the year.

If you have not made contact before please e-mail me to go on the newsletter for details as we go on.

We are looking to show the types of film that proved popular at the first show, plus this time we would like a speaker, so if you have any ideas on that please let us know.
The weather should be warm and fine and in the breaks we can have the doors open and take tea on the terrace overlooking open countryside.

......And yes there will be another quiz !

Very much look forward to seeing you all.

#115 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:59

Posted Image
Cinema area with 44 people present

Posted Image
Dining area at Lunch break

We were especially pleased to welcome a number of well known motor racing personalities

British Saloon car champion and sports car driver Jack Sears.
Ex F1 driver John Campbell-Jones.
Current Mclaren designer now credited with 20 world championships Neil Oatley
A man with a lifetime's experience with Grand Prix teams and with F1 drivers Sheridan Thynne

For those who were not able to get to the first film show, this was the gathering in February , we are currently planning an even better day for .

Saturday 8th August 2009

Edited by RTH, 10 May 2009 - 06:00.

#116 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,003 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:46

[quote name='RTH' date='May 9 2009, 19:59' post='3632076']
For those who were not able to get to the first film show, this was the gathering in February , we are currently planning an even better day for .

Ah no, I will miss it =( I will be in the UK for the preceding month, but that date clashes for me with Formula Student in Germany =(

Oh well!

Pat

#117 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 16:53

Well that is a shame Pat, maybe the one after next maybe late Autumn ?

It occurs to me we have a good big car park at our disposal for the day, we must have a number of filmgoers who also own Vintage, PVT, Classic or interesting rare or unusual road cars , even race or rally cars ?

So,....you have three months.... get them out, make them roadworthy, MOT'd and bring them to the next film show in August, it should be warm and dry by then and long days with light evenings, so that during the breaks we can wander outside and have a look ...... go on you know it makes sense ! More fun than just coming in the daily driver ! What for instance is the oldest car someone could arrive in ??

#118 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 17:10

I have noted the date in my diary Richard and look forward to a great day again. I have also informed my mates from Bournemouth, if that is in order :)

It is a real shame that Pat just misses the dates, would have been great to meet up :up:

Edited by sterling49, 10 May 2009 - 17:12.

#119 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:37

Thanks for that Sterling, it is really helpful to get feedback and get a good idea who is planning to attend and indeed any ideas any of you have for innovations, extra attractions etc to further improve the experience on the day.

We have dropped on some great new film from the 1960s, saloons, sportscars, hillclimbs and autocross none of which I had ever seen before packed with incident that I hope you will like in a packed programme with lots of variety.

Nothing is yet fixed so do tell us the sort of films you most enjoy watching and from which time periods and between us we will do our best to put it on.
Also of course as ever if any of you have your own films especially shot by members of your own family or friends handed down or any old trade motor sport related films etc from the distant past do tell us all what you have ,previously unshown material is always very interesting.

Advertisement

#120 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 20:21

I understand an XK140 is being readied to attend the film show in early August. Anyone else got anything old rare or interesting to drive to the meeting ? Do please make the effort , a display area of unusual cars would be a fascinating addition.

Thought we might have a table for interesting artifacts, parts, old tools, documents for things really rare, special, old or might need identification people might like to bring along as points of interest, for all to look at , what do you all think ? Any ideas ?

#121 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,525 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 21:25

'Anyone else got anything old rare or interesting to drive to the meeting?'
Only me.

#122 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:00

Anyone else got anything old rare or interesting to drive to the meeting ? Do please make the effort , a display area of unusual cars would be a fascinating addition.

I've just bought a '76 Firenza with a Cosworth V6 in it - maybe not in the same league as an XK140 but if it makes it to our get together on the 15th June then I might see if it'll make August.

#123 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,003 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 13:06

Quote RTH
Quote Sterling
It is a real shame that Pat just misses the dates, would have been great to meet up

Well, I certainly won't be there in your Autumn, however there is no reason we can't catch up for a beer and a bite a week or so earlier?

Pat

#124 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 17:08

I've just bought a '76 Firenza with a Cosworth V6 in it - maybe not in the same league as an XK140 but if it makes it to our get together on the 15th June then I might see if it'll make August.

Interesting Gregor, any photos ? What sort of Cosworth V6 ? History , what is the story ?

#125 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 18:12

Quote RTH
Quote Sterling
It is a real shame that Pat just misses the dates, would have been great to meet up

Well, I certainly won't be there in your Autumn, however there is no reason we can't catch up for a beer and a bite a week or so earlier?

Pat

We could do that Pat, dependending though on everyones programmes, where will you be and what dates?

#126 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,003 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:39

We could do that Pat, dependending though on everyones programmes, where will you be and what dates?

Hi Sterling,

I am coming over for Formula Student at Silverstone in early July, after that my good wife Sally and I will see the sights until early August when we go to Germany for Formula Student where I am Chief design Judge.
In the meantime we will probably be centered around Wheathampstead where Sally's brother lives.
Then flying home from Frankfurt to Sydney.

Cheers
Pat

#127 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 18:43

Interesting Gregor, any photos ? What sort of Cosworth V6 ? History , what is the story ?

No history; I've not made up any yet like most people have with "Dad's" Vauxhalls!!

Here's a couple of rough photos - hard to comprehend I know but it was a lot worse than this!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The inside is a bit hardcore and I have to do a bit of a Riverdance impression but for the money and the fun it was worth it and it might even make a circuit appearance but the cage is made out of '80s cage material, but hey, it was safe back then!! It's a bit of fun on the road and the engine makes a superb throaty/balanced V6 noise if that makes sense.

Edited by Gregor Marshall, 03 June 2009 - 18:45.

#128 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:37

These have become a very rare sight, but then I don't suppose that many were sold new and now we are over 30 years on.
No doubt rust took its toll of the floors, sills wings etc. How many left in existence I wonder ?

#129 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:35

Just before you all go off to your second homes for the summer recess to paint your duck houses and clean out your Moats.......

Don't forget to make an entry in your diary for Film Show 2 ...... Saturday August 8th 2009

Hope to see you all then

p.s. I am told the next quiz is already well underway !

Edited by RTH, 11 June 2009 - 06:39.

#130 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:51

A reminder less than 4 weeks to go now to the next Historic Motor Racing Film Show - 2

If you can make it , for a full day of films ........and being mid summer we are planning a lunchtime outside Barbecue as well as morning coffee and afternoon tea breaks we also hope to have a guest speaker and a quiz.

So try not to miss it , some good stuff lined up and great value by and for TNF members & guests.

If you have not done so already please e-mail me to let me know you can come , just so that we can get a guide on numbers
You pay only for the food and a contribution to the cost of hiring the venue everything else is completely free of charge.

SATURDAY 8th August 2009 in North East Hertfordshire 10 am to 5pm

Look forward to seeing you all again.

Edited by RTH, 13 August 2009 - 11:50.

#131 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 14:45

If you have an interesting, old/unusual/competition/classic/WHY, etc road car you can come in please do so for a display in the car park to join the XK140 being fettled as we speak !

#132 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 13:24

We have some great films lined up spanning the last 75 years and all sorts of motor sport. pre war GP, saloons GTs Club racing , Hill climbs autocross some rallying and much more plus some amusing items, A speaker we hope with a Q&A session a Motor Racing Quiz in fact a full days entertainment and regular refreshments !
So do put it in your diaries and tell your motor sport friends. Anything you have of interest you would like to bring along please let me know. Some interesting cars in the car park would be most welcome ...what can you bring !!

Hopefully if the weather is good we can have the double doors open in the breaks and enjoy the terrace and views over open countryside and outdoor BBQ.

SAT AUGUST 8th

#133 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 17:14

Do hope you can all come.
The Doyen of circuit commentary Mr Norman Greenway ( The voice of Snetterton for so many years , as well as other UK circuits and the BBC) will be in attendance and has kindly agreed to conduct an interview with our guest speaker ( I will let you know who that is as soon as confirmed)
So this time we will break the film action for about half an hour for a discussion and Q&A session.

As you will see from the attached leaflet we have also extended the hours by 60mins at each end of the day as we were rather pushed for time in February to fit everything in.
We did not quite cover our costs at the first show and as everyone took up the food options we are simplifying down to a single twenty pound note each for the whole day inclusive of the 4 hr plus film show ,the live interview, morning coffee and biscuits a two course lunch, the motor sport quiz, afternoon tea and cakes with as many cups and seconds as you want all day of all we have.

With some great films lined up, we hope you will bring along your old and interesting classic/sports/competition/W.H.Y. cars for a car park display and hopefully with hot mid summer weather we will open the double doors and have a lunchtime barbecue cooked outside for a nice friendly atmosphere and a chance to compare notes.

We will do our very best to make it a memorable and enjoyable day.
Do please come .
Kind Regards

Edited by RTH, 20 July 2009 - 17:17.

#134 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 17:23

Dear All,

I am very pleased to announce that as a result of Andrew Kitson's efforts on our behalf and connections in Motor Sport we expect to welcome Ex- Grand Prix, Le Mans, British Saloon Car Championship works driver Chris Craft in conversation with circuit commentator Norman Greenway at the TNF Herts film Show in 2 weeks time Saturday 8th August 09.

Chris had a long career as a professional racing driver in just about every formula, category and form of motor racing you can imagine from the early 1960s and he still has involvement in the sport today. The 'Rocket' and other road going sports car commercial enterprises have kept him busy in recent times.

I am sure you will welcome him, be fascinated to hear his story and you will get a chance to put questions to him in a session before we break for lunch.

Christopher Craft (born in Porthleven, Cornwall, 17 November 1939) is a British racing driver who has competed in many different forms of motor sport. In 1971, he participated in 2 World Championship Formula One Grands Prix driving a Brabham prepared by Alain de Cadenet's team Ecurie Evergreen, but failed to score a championship point. His first attempt ended with an engine failure during the qualifying session despite having achieved a time fast enough to qualify. His second grand prix ended with a suspension failure and tyre problems during the race.

Craft also competed in many other forms of motor racing, including saloon cars, notably with a Ford Capri; sports cars, including a period with the Dome team in the early 1980s; Formula 3 and Formula 5000. One of the highlights of his career was a third place finish in the 1976 24 Hours of Le Mans.

After his race career Chris Craft started the Light Car Company with F1 designer Gordon Murray to build the Light Car Company Rocket.

DRIVERS: CHRIS CRAFT
Name: Chris Craft
Nationality: Great Britain
Date of birth: November 17, 1939 - Porthleven, nr Helston, Cornwall

The son of a bank manager from Essex who went on to become a missionary in Africa, Craft was a buyer of ladies underwear in his youth before becoming involved in motor racing through his brother Andrew, who owned a body shop in Woodford Green. He started racing in 1962 in a Ford Anglia and went on to race a variety of other touring cars until he tried his hand at single seaters in a Merlyn Formula 3 car. He was later hired by the Italian chassis company BWA but that was not a great success and he later switched to a Tecno. He also teamed up with Alain de Cadenet to race his Porsche 908 and Can-Am McLaren. In 1971 de Cadenet bought an ex-works Brabham BT33 which Chris drove in the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. He continued to race into the 1980s, while also acting as the assistant competition manager for Ford and running a used car business, before he raced on in saloon and sports cars right through to the early 1980s. In recent years he has run an engineering business called the Light Car Company.

#135 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 19:32

Any ideas of numbers attending Richard? It should be a fantastic programme, I look forward to hearing Chris craft's interview, many great memories of so many of his races :up:

Well done Andy, Gary and team for organising.

#136 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 19:52

I am hopeful of a similar turnout to Febuary Sterl, although quite a few people have yet to confirm.Always more difficult in mid summer with people away and rival attractions, but it should be a good day, so do all please support it so we can keep it going.

#137 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:40

Just under 2 weeks away put it in your diaries.

#138 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:40

Fed up with rainy British summer ? ....What you chaps need is a day out, perhaps an outing to the warm and sunny south, say about 40 miles north of London, on a Saturday perhaps, say a week on Saturday 8th Aug...........to the Herts TNF film show ...... for a whole day of frivolity , fun, food and films ... Oh and Chris Craft telling us the story of his motor racing career and a chance to put questions to him.
David McKinney will be trying to defend his reigning title as motor racing quiz champion just after lunch. I hope we will also have a few interesting cars out in the car park.........what more could the motor racing enthusiast ask for !!

#139 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:49

We need to get a sneek peek at the questions, no Lotus questions this time, Gary and I were a tad embarrassed at our lack of answers!!!! :lol:

Edited by sterling49, 30 July 2009 - 09:49.

Advertisement

#140 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:16

We need to get a sneek peek at the questions, no Lotus questions this time, Gary and I were a tad embarrassed at our lack of answers!!!! :lol:

And get David McKinney to check the answers. That get's him out of the way and gives the rest of us a chance.  ;)

#141 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:26

And get David McKinney to check the answers. That get's him out of the way and gives the rest of us a chance. ;)

Good plan Duncan :up: :up:

#142 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:53

I'm happy with that

#143 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:46

I'm happy with that

Last time we asked for solo efforts.

Do we think that is ok or would it be more sociable and/ or fun to split into groups and discuss during lunch ? The danger is more will get more correct answers, as it were.

I guess Richard will only produce one award anyway but the combined glory far outweighs that !

Questions are done but may be subject to last minute revision after Q2.

There weren't that many Lotus questions last time but shame on nobody getting Jimmy's first F1 win...

But to satisfy you there will not be a Lotus question, just a Lotus answer.

:cool:

#144 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:13

What do you all think about David's suggestion ?

#145 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:47

Sounds good to me, I am bound to know the answer to just one question. :blush:

glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 31 July 2009 - 11:47.

#146 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:28

:up: I like it. Simply do it by tables.

And ask for team names and award two points to the best one. :confused:

#147 MCS

MCS

• 3,530 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:52

Fine by me. Last time a lot of answers were done collectively as I recall.

Do we have an idea as to the number of likely attendees yet, Richard?

#148 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 13:37

Tables, or teams of three of four
(I've had all the personal glory I can handle :) )

#149 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 16:08

Do we have an idea as to the number of likely attendees yet, Richard?

We are at about 40 but people tend to tell me they are coming in the last week so I hope it will be about the same as February which was mid 50s

#150 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:08

I really do not mind Richard, we did it as a table with two of my mates and a certain Gary C last time, it is so embarrassing that we did not (collectively) know the answers to some of the most obvious questions (I did offer the correct answer of course, but mob rule and all that!) :lol:

Whichever way it comes, it really proves how much water has passed under the bridge.