• Please log in to reply
1071 replies to this topic

#201 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:54

As everyone said
Another great day - thanks to all concerned
The weather topped it off - must be something about that location :)

And before outsiders get the wrong idea - the quiz was done by tables this time, so it wasn't all down to me!

Advertisement

#202 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:17

First of all many thanks to all of you for coming, many of you drove very big distances to be there and that is much appreciated, that is a big commitment these days.
Gary did a magnificent job overcoming all the technical problems, providing and running all the equipment and much else besides. Andrew put in a great deal of work behind the scenes on providing the material and on literature design and arranging the guests etc. Christine did a superb job with all the administration and constantly spotting and dealing with things that needed doing, really oiling the wheels all day quietly in the background.
My sister Jane and husband Bill absolutely excelled on providing wonderfully high quality food all day. Thanks to Tash who worked tirelessly all day with Jane and Bill keeping everyone supplied with all the refreshments just when needed ,despite the inevitable slippage of the programme.

Enormous thanks to Chris Craft our guest speaker who was hugely entertaining for more than an hour and a half relating his fascinating career as a professional racing driver with the Ford Motor Company, Alain DeCadenet and many others. Chris drove more than 50 different types of car in an active career spanning more than 3 decades. All done with great enthusiasm humour and fairness.... and for taking some very good questions from the audience with great skill as well as his thoughts about the future of road vehicle design and how he might handle current motor sport future if he had the power. We were all highly impressed, amused and entertained with his insight and anecdotes in to just what it was like rubbing shoulders with some of the all time greats of the sport. 14 appearances at Le Mans and a top 3 overall finish with many in the top ten. Driving in Grand Prix , in top line sportscars, saloon cars and much else besides and a great many wins. Above all, - just what some of the personalities were really like ! Chris told me he gave away all his trophies and didn't keep film or photographs either.
Many thanks to you Chris for giving your time so generously to our small gathering. Simon Arron described Chris as the interviewers dream.
It was not without its problems in the last week, through nobody's fault, a great many people fell by the wayside through illness or other commitments and our numbers were somewhat depleted to about half those in February.
Sadly Norman Greenway a much revered figure especially by those of us who have spent a lot of time at Snetterton, was taken ill just 24 hrs before he was due to come and conduct the interview with those warm and distinctive tones he is famous for !
David McLaughlin who is so brilliant amongst other things at devising these fiendishly tricky motor sport history quiz-es was unable to attend due to family illness. Thankfully David delivered the quiz and the all important answers to me, well in time and it all went ahead as planned without a hitch.

With no notice at all, motor sport journalist, photographer, current GP reporter, interviewer (and much else besides) Simon Arron stepped up in a heartbeat, took over both roles and did a totally brilliant job. Although typically self-effacingly Simon dismissed it as nothing I know just by looking at the volume of his research notes he must have been up most of the night, then drove up from Kent arrived early and yesterday delivered a highly polished and professional interview. It was so good I regret we didn't have the man power yesterday to capture it all on film for a later viewing by a wider audience.
Thank you Simon you really are a star....as Sterling said " why isn't this bloke on our TV screens ? " He even brought along a big bag of new hardback books and some magnificent prints of his recent photographs at historic events as quiz prizes !!

This time we had 6 tables working together to produce a team set of quiz answers.
Simon went through the questions and answers line by line.In each case papers were marked by opposing teams to ensure fairness.

The winning team with a score of 22 marks was David McKinney,Rob Nickson,John Whiteman, Frank and Pat Batten and Simon Arron( it must be said that Simon did not get sight of the answers until all the papers were in)
second place team Allen Brown's table scored 18 points and 3rd place was tied by two tables on 16 points ( I won't mention the scores on the other two ! Who it must be said had much fewer members)

So to Norman and to David's sister in Wales we wish you both a speedy and complete recovery and my warmest thanks to all of you who attended and made such a contribution yesterday - with a special thanks to Mark, Stephen and to several others who stayed behind afterwards to pack away all the tables and chairs and clean things up so that we could leave the hall as we found it, thank you all.Brilliant team effort everyone.In the face of the recent dismal summer weather we had hot warm sunshine all day , though it did get very humid in afternoon.

Edited by RTH, 09 August 2009 - 06:25.

#203 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:35

For those of you who did not attend yesterday here is the quiz for you print off, all to have a go at over the next few days, put your own answers up and I will post the answer sheet in the middle of the coming week you can then test your own score. See if you can match the dream team ?

THE SECOND ‘HISTORY OF MOTOR RACING ' QUIZ, August 2009 TEAM NAME…………………………….………..

1. WHICH WAS THE FIRST WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GRAND PRIX IN WHICH MATRA TOOK PART
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….….

2. WHICH BRITISH HILLCLIMB CHAMPION RACED A BRM IN GRANDS PRIX…………………………..………….…

3. WHAT DO THE INITIALS SEFAC STAND FOR
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...………….……..…..
4. WHICH WAS THE FIRST GRAND PRIX VICTORY FOR AN F1 CAR WITH DISC BRAKES
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……………..….
5. WHAT IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN JIM CLARK AND A FIAT ABARTH
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..…………….….….
6. WHAT LINKS THE TITLE SPONSOR OF THE 1971 BRITISH GRAND PRIX AND THE RECENT ABSENCE FROM TNF OF A LEGENDARY FIGURE ………………………………………………………………………………………………..

7. WHERE WAS THE FIRST WIN FOR AN F1 BRABHAM……………………..……………………………………..……….

8. WHO BUILT THE ZEREX SPECIAL AND WHAT WAS IT BASED ON ………………………………………………….

9. WHAT WAS UNUSUAL ABOUT THE FIRST RACE AT THE AINTREE CIRCUIT IN 1954
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...……….…….…
10. WHAT CAR MADE ITS WINNING DEBUT IN THE 1956 SILVERSTONE INTERNATIONAL TROPHY RACE ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……..……

11. WHO DROVE IT ………………………………………………………………………………………….……………..……..

12. FOR WHICH TEAM DID ROGER CLARK HAVE HIS FIRST WORKS RALLY DRIVE ............................................

13. HOW MANY TIMES DID FANGIO WIN THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX? ……………………………..…………………..

14. WHERE WAS BRUCE McLAREN’S LAST F1 VICTORY AS A DRIVER? ……………………..………………………..

15. WHO WON THE LAST F2 RACE AT CRYSTAL PALACE? ………………………………….…………………………..

16. FOR WHICH PORSCHE TEAM DID VIC ELFORD GET HIS FIRST DRIVE IN A 917 ………….…………………….

17. WHICH WAS THE FIRST MOTOR RACE TO CARRY THE TITLE GRAND PRIX ……………..……………..………

18. WHAT CLOSELY LINKS MIKE PARKES AND LUDOVICO SCARFIOTTI .……………………………………....……..

19. WHAT LINKS CHRIS CRAFT WITH ROYALTY ……………………………….………….…………………………….…..

20. WHAT SPORTS CAR DID JIM CLARK DRIVE IN THE 1966 GUARDS TROPHY RACE AT BRANDS HATCH

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
21. WHAT WAS MAURICE TRINTIGNANT’S NICKNAME, AND WHY

…………………………………………………………………………………………..…… ………………………………..……..
22. WHO DESIGNED RON DENNIS’ FIRST F1 CAR AND WHAT WAS IT CALLED

……………………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………..…….
23. WHO IS DRIVING THE SECOND CAR AT GOODWOOD IN ANDREW KITSON’S PICTURE ON THE FLYER AND WHO WAS THE ENTRANT

……………..………………………………………………………………………..…………………………………………..………
24. WHO WAS THE LAST F1 RACE WINNER IN THE ‘SHARKNOSE’ FERRARI AND WHERE
………………………………………………………………………………………………………….………………………....…….

25. TIE DECIDER: HOW HIGH IS THE LEGENDARY RALLY STAGE ‘THE COL DE TURINI’ ………………….…………

Edited by RTH, 09 August 2009 - 06:38.

#204 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:53

Thanks to everyone yesterday for a great day. Brilliant company (most impressed at some of the distances travelled), excellent BBQ and well done to Christine and to Richard's family for running things so smoothly behind the scenes. Listening to Chris Craft was brilliant...those F3 days in Italy sound totally mad...fantastic job by Simon all day..thanks SA.
And to Richard & Gary...well done guys.
I'd also like to thank mgtd (Stephen Lee) for bringing me down in his lovely XK140 - what a car, what a noise! A perfect day for it too.
Wishing all of those who could not attend best wishes and get well soon. Here's to the next one - we already have some gems lined up!

#205 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:15

To Richard, thanks for organising everything – and for the warm welcome, which was very much appreciated.

To Gary, thanks for handling all matters of image and sound.

To Andy K, thanks for supplying much of the content and for bringing the print of that iconic March 73B.

To Rob, thanks for being late – no TNF event would be the same otherwise.

To Altrincham FC, thanks for not losing on the opening day of the season.

To all, my thanks for a) your company and b) the kind words about the interview with Chris – but that really did owe everything to him and precious little to me. Had certain others been in the hot seat, we’d have had trouble stretching it to nine minutes, never mind an easy 90…

Richard, could you also please pass on my gratitude to Jane, Bill and the rest of the catering team. While saying cheerio to all and sundry at the end, I completely forgot to stick my head through the serving hatch to say thanks – an appalling oversight. I thought the food was brilliant (especially the feta, courgette and potato tart) and would appreciate it if you could let them know as much.

Hope to join you all again at the next one,
SA

#206 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:21

Kingsley? Late? Say it was not so.....

#207 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:41

I was going to bring a few other pictures, but only brought the print of Geoff's painting along.
He would have loved our film show gatherings.
His picture here:
http://www.andrewkit.../pages/friz.htm

#208 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:10

As ever do feel free to e-mail me likes /dislikes and innovative ideas for the future on all aspects of the day.

#209 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:16

Just a few words to echo what others have said about the day - impeccable organisation, great food - so great, in fact, that I ate about three times what I normally eat mid-day, and as a result probably alarmed a few by jerking awake every now and again during the final films. Good to put a few more faces to names and avatars, and the distances travelled by some put my little excursion to shame. I took less notice of the speed limits on the return journey and made it in 30 minutes.

Sterling has gone way over the top in attributing any success 'our' team had in the quiz to me, I think my contribution was to say 'Er, dunno' three times. I am humbled by the knowledge and re-call of others. The Chris Craft interview was great, made me even more sure that the most important views are those seen from behind the wheel.

Thanks again to Richard and 'the team'.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 09 August 2009 - 13:23.

#210 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,564 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 14:50

oh, and it was a REAL PLEASURE to sit and listen to the Arron / Chris Craft chat - these sort of things could go on all day for all I care!

#211 David Holland

David Holland

• 166 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 15:45

Thanks again Richard, superb organisational effort as usual. The food was amazing and I hope there wasn't too much left over with the few non-starters - which is always a hazard in the summer months.

Gary and Andrew did a great job with the films and Simon went beyond the call of duty to step in and interview Chris at short notice. The talk with Mr Craft was the highlight of the day for me and that 90 minutes went very quickly - top bloke!

I also made a better effort of mingling this time, although the forum is very useful, chatting face to face is really what it's all about.
There is a very friendly atmosphere at these meetings and you can't put a price on that.

#212 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 15:53

Ichatting face to face is really what it's all about.
There is a very friendly atmosphere at these meetings and you can't put a price on that.

:up: :up: :wave:

#213 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,621 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 15:56

David, I hope John Campbell-Jones enjoyed it, from whom the quote of the day must come, talking to Chris Craft about the Rodriguez brothers,
"yes, well, Pedro always stayed at my pad whenever he was in town in the early days."
As they say, you couldn't make it up.....
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 09 August 2009 - 15:57.

#214 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 17:46

David, I hope John Campbell-Jones enjoyed it, from whom the quote of the day must come, talking to Chris Craft about the Rodriguez brothers,
"yes, well, Pedro always stayed at my pad whenever he was in town in the early days."
As they say, you couldn't make it up.....
Roger Lund

Quite agree Roger, lovely to see you there again yesterday and I know you travelled up from Cardiff and stayed the night locally.

Incidentally Roger stayed at " The Feathers "in Wadesmill on the old A10 north of Hertford which is 10 mins drive from the venue and reports a quiet comfortable and pleasant hotel at reasonable prices, if any other TNF members feel like joining him there next time it could be a pleasant staging post and pre-show evening get together for TNF'ers coming a long distance.

Sadly somehow I didn't get to talk to Baldock stalwart David Holland at any length and after 2 meetings I still have not had a proper conversation with EX - GP driver John Campbell-Jones or even properly introduced him to the audience and I do know he is a really nice bloke and keen to talk to you all in the breaks. This is very remiss of me.... promise ..in January !!

#215 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 17:55

Sounds like you all had a great day's entertainment - I know what good value Mr Arron can be, and he does it all because he can't resist the chance to chat with and meet like-minded enthusiasts. I'm particularly impressed to read about the top-quality catering sevice - sounds worth attending for that alone. I shall have to do my damndest to join your next gathering.

#216 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 18:29

You will be made most welcome Alan, especially if you would like to bring a display of your most splendid photographs with you.

#217 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 18:38

Sounds like you all had a great day's entertainment - I know what good value Mr Arron can be, and he does it all because he can't resist the chance to chat with and meet like-minded enthusiasts. I'm particularly impressed to read about the top-quality catering sevice - sounds worth attending for that alone. I shall have to do my damndest to join your next gathering.

Exactly what I was thinking........ :up:

#218 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 18:44

Posted Image
Stephen Lee's gorgeous XK140 coupe in which he and Andrew motored down from Norfolk

Posted Image
Chris Craft and Simon Arron entertained us for 90 fascinating minutes

Posted Image
Geoff Hawkes,Chris Craft, Bill Nathan with the tongs, John Earthrowl and Christine.

Posted Image
lunchtime in the hot sunshine overlooking open countryside

Posted Image

Posted Image
Jane, Allen Brown, Roger Lund,Clive Godsell, Tony Turner, Simon Arron, and Tony Matthews

Posted Image
Geoff Hawkes , Jane, Tash, Jeff Bowie

Posted Image
Mike Spindle's Marathon Rally AH 3000

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quiz results - the verdict !

Edited by RTH, 09 August 2009 - 20:09.

#219 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 19:00

It really is a fabulous venue Richard, right on your doorstep too!

Advertisement

#220 mgtd

mgtd

• 135 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 19:50

It really is a fabulous venue Richard, right on your doorstep too!

At the risk of creating even more echoes....thanks to Richard for a really great day.Like everyone else,the Arron/Craft 90 min.chat was obviously the highlight of the day for most of us.As a local Essex-Boy at the time I always took a great interest in Chris's career,but I had no idea of much of the detail which we learnt yesterday...most entertaining.And then to have received my Old Boy's Association Newsletter a few days ago,lo and behold,one Christopher Craft an Old Boy of my School,and a Boxing Champ too...doesn't look like it now,far too relaxed and laid-back.Even his comments on road cars were illuminating,he reckoned a Porsche 928 the most underrated of modern cars,agreed,but I only wish I had the courage of my convictions.

Thanks to my navigator Andrew Kitson for his kind comments,we were yacking so intently that I managed a very Grand Tour of the M11/A120 services before I had even realised! It was good exercise for the old Jag,even managing a record-breaking 17.5mpg for the trip...things must be looking up.

Roll on January,event 3 has a lot to live up to.

Regards,

Stephen (and really good to meet up with folk again)

#221 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,116 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 19:50

Great venue, great entertainment, great food, great company, great day. :up:

'nuff said

#222 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 20:34

I also thought it was great to have Graham 'Skid' Scarborough along...club saloon racing rival and friend of Gerry, Tony, Whizzo et al.

#223 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:08

I have spoken by telephone to David McLaughlin (TNF's own answer to Magnus Magnusson! ), who is still in Wales, and the news is good. David's sister experienced a very bad reaction to treatment, but is now improving with rest and time which is very good news.
He was very disappointed not to be with us on Saturday.

We are planning a third show in January, David will be working up another quiz but as a bit of variety it will be in a completely different form.

#224 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 315 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:18

Yet another echo I'm afraid but a huge thank you to Richard, Christine, Bill, Jane, Gary etc for all their hard work in making Saturday yet another very enjoyable day. It was nice to meet Rob and Roger and better still Rob allowed me to look at his Brands Hatch programme from 1967, so many familiar names and cars appearing that day.

January cannot come soon enough and the chance to meet many more of you.

Glyn

#225 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:58

I also thought it was great to have Graham 'Skid' Scarborough along...club saloon racing rival and friend of Gerry, Tony, Whizzo et al.

Don't you mean Biggles?

Posted Image

(from Friday night - Skid and I went Gliding!!).

Apologies I couldn't make this film show but I do promise to get to the next one.

#226 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 15:12

After the show a group of you I understand went off for some ice cold foaming refreshment at the Catherine Wheel.

Posted Image

This used to be a lovely 500 year old oak framed low ceiling thatched pub until the early hours arson attack burned it to the ground.
took 4 years to get it rebuilt and as you can see its not quite as it was !

It is 3/4 mile from the venue and now is the only pub in the 6 hamlets of Albury we used to have 5 pubs !

Edited by RTH, 10 August 2009 - 15:13.

#227 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,136 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 15:47

After the show a group of you I understand went off for some ice cold foaming refreshment at the Catherine Wheel.

Posted Image

This used to be a lovely 500 year old oak framed low ceiling thatched pub until the early hours arson attack burned it to the ground.
took 4 years to get it rebuilt and as you can see its not quite as it was !

It is 3/4 mile from the venue and now is the only pub in the 6 hamlets of Albury we used to have 5 pubs !

Belated thanks to Richard and the team for all the hard work - and now you've spiontaneously answered the question I was getting around to asking. Seemed a shame to just drift away after the show, though with beer thoughts introducing a note of urgency - now potentially solved.

As always, good to meet up with fellow TNF-ers, even though their knowledge and memory access capabilities make me feel plain dim. Par for the course., I s'pose.

Here's to the next one.

#228 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,494 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 15:54

Indeed we did Richard. :up:

Thanks to you and everyone (caterers, admin, quiz, CC, SA etc) for a most enjoyable day. Great to put a few more faces to names, including our famous cutaway artist and Gwendolyn.

Despite the three and a half hours ahead of us on the road, Roger and I couldn't resist a little more TNF fellowship.

Seen here are John, the partially hidden David, Mark, Rob (sporting my TNF 10th Aniiversary polo shirt, very limited edition), Allen and Roger.

Must rush, am busy trying to find a little cottage in West Sussex to accommodate long suffering g/f and me for a sunny week in September... :cool:

Posted Image

Rob :wave:

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 10 August 2009 - 15:55.

#229 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 16:13

We are so pleased all you chaps enjoyed it.

..............West Sussex Rob ? ....... That will be Goodwood then ? We shall expect photos or a picture postcard at least !

Edited by RTH, 10 August 2009 - 16:15.

#230 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 17:35

...and Gwendolyn.

Gwendolyn thoroughly enjoyed the day, but kept a low profile. She is nothing if not discreet, and did not want to embarrass the guest of honour, saying later over a pink gin - 'Ah, dear, dear C C, an all time favourite, we first met when his racing career was in it's infancy, he was such an obvious talent, and such a good-looking boy! Our paths crossed frequently, I'm pleased to say, but the most memorable times where at Le Mans, when he and young A de C where the life and soul of the pit-lane, the 'boxes' and the motor-homes! How they found time to race I do not know! Or the strength! But they were young, and I was younger than I am now, and it is cheering to have such memories...

Of course it was an advantage that C's brother is an eminent gaenecologist, and so very helpful on occasions...'

#231 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 18:25

Posted Image

As you may know Roger Lund motored down from South Wales the day before ( as he did for the February show as well ) and for the second time stayed overnight at "The Feathers" in Wadesmill which is North of Ware on the old A10 which has now been by-passed and is a quiet backwater 6 miles from the venue and 10 mins away. He can recommend it for others coming a long distance.

#232 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 19:40

Interesting Richard, could be a chance for a natter 'n noggin before the next show? I certainly would be up for a night of motor car chat, of all the things I miss about the "old motor club" scene, is the great club nights :up:

#233 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:06

Well yes I am sure that could be arranged, its a nice place, good food good restaurant and a substantial annexe of hotel rooms and given all that, surprisingly reasonable rates and prices, probably because the new road took away their passing trade and the now have to work a lot harder.

So yes a Friday evening get together, meal, drink, chat ,prior to Saturday's show just 10 mins away next morning, is easily arranged.

Roger Lund will be able to give us a first hand report.
It was built in 1600 and in 1670 was the busiest Coaching Inn in the area stabling over 100 horses.

It could become TNF's recommended " Coaching Inn " overnight halt !

Here is the Feathers Inn website they are one of Greene King's old English pubs.

http://www.feathersinn.com/

So what do others think who are coming long distances ? Those of us who are local could come along and join you as well.

Edited by RTH, 11 August 2009 - 06:59.

#234 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:18

I will put up the answers to the quiz tomorrow if you still want to have a go yourself.

THE SECOND ‘HISTORY OF MOTOR RACING ' QUIZ, August 2009 TEAM NAME…………………………….………..

1. WHICH WAS THE FIRST WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GRAND PRIX IN WHICH MATRA TOOK PART
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….….

2. WHICH BRITISH HILLCLIMB CHAMPION RACED A BRM IN GRANDS PRIX…………………………..………….…

3. WHAT DO THE INITIALS SEFAC STAND FOR
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...………….……..…..
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……………..….
5. WHAT IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN JIM CLARK AND A FIAT ABARTH
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..…………….….….
6. WHAT LINKS THE TITLE SPONSOR OF THE 1971 BRITISH GRAND PRIX AND THE RECENT ABSENCE FROM TNF OF A LEGENDARY FIGURE ………………………………………………………………………………………………..

7. WHERE WAS THE FIRST WIN FOR AN F1 BRABHAM……………………..……………………………………..……….

8. WHO BUILT THE ZEREX SPECIAL AND WHAT WAS IT BASED ON ………………………………………………….

9. WHAT WAS UNUSUAL ABOUT THE FIRST RACE AT THE AINTREE CIRCUIT IN 1954
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...……….…….…
10. WHAT CAR MADE ITS WINNING DEBUT IN THE 1956 SILVERSTONE INTERNATIONAL TROPHY RACE ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……..……

11. WHO DROVE IT ………………………………………………………………………………………….……………..……..

12. FOR WHICH TEAM DID ROGER CLARK HAVE HIS FIRST WORKS RALLY DRIVE ............................................

13. HOW MANY TIMES DID FANGIO WIN THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX? ……………………………..…………………..

14. WHERE WAS BRUCE McLAREN’S LAST F1 VICTORY AS A DRIVER? ……………………..………………………..

15. WHO WON THE LAST F2 RACE AT CRYSTAL PALACE? ………………………………….…………………………..

16. FOR WHICH PORSCHE TEAM DID VIC ELFORD GET HIS FIRST DRIVE IN A 917 ………….…………………….

17. WHICH WAS THE FIRST MOTOR RACE TO CARRY THE TITLE GRAND PRIX ……………..……………..………

18. WHAT CLOSELY LINKS MIKE PARKES AND LUDOVICO SCARFIOTTI .……………………………………....……..

19. WHAT LINKS CHRIS CRAFT WITH ROYALTY ……………………………….………….…………………………….…..

20. WHAT SPORTS CAR DID JIM CLARK DRIVE IN THE 1966 GUARDS TROPHY RACE AT BRANDS HATCH

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
21. WHAT WAS MAURICE TRINTIGNANT’S NICKNAME, AND WHY

…………………………………………………………………………………………..…… ………………………………..……..
22. WHO DESIGNED RON DENNIS’ FIRST F1 CAR AND WHAT WAS IT CALLED

……………………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………..…….
23. WHO IS DRIVING THE SECOND CAR AT GOODWOOD IN ANDREW KITSON’S PICTURE ON THE FLYER AND WHO WAS THE ENTRANT

……………..………………………………………………………………………..…………………………………………..………
24. WHO WAS THE LAST F1 RACE WINNER IN THE ‘SHARKNOSE’ FERRARI AND WHERE
………………………………………………………………………………………………………….………………………....…….

25. TIE DECIDER: HOW HIGH IS THE LEGENDARY RALLY STAGE ‘THE COL DE TURINI’ ………………….…………

#235 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:44

Here are the answers to the Quiz : -

THE SECOND ‘HISTORY OF MOTOR RACING ON FILM’ QUIZ
ANSWERS

1. MONACO 1967 AND YES, THEY WERE F2 CARS BALLASTED UP TO
CONFORM TO F1 REGS UNLIKE THE F2 CLASS IN THE GERMAN GP.

2. TONY MARSH

3. SOCIETA ESERCIZIO FABRICHE AUTOMOBILI ET CORSE

4. COOPER T54 MONACO 1958 ? I THINK…

5. SALLY STOKES MARRIED ED SWART EUROPEAN TOURING CAR
CHAMPION IN AN ABARTH

6. WOOLMARK, BARRY !

7. SOLITUDE GP 1963

8. ROGER PENSKE F1 COOPER

9. RUN CLOCKWISE

10. VANWALL

11. MOSS

12. RELIANT

13. ONLY ONCE

14. BELGIAN GRAND PRIX SPA 1968

15. JODY SCHECKTER McLAREN M21

16. PORSCHE SALZBURG

17. PAU 1901

18. DEAD HEAT AT SYRACUSE 1966

19. CROWNE RACING !

20. FELDAY BRM 4WD

21. LE PETOULET MEANS RAT DROPPINGS WHICH ONCE BLOCKED
HIS FUEL LINES LEADING TO A RETIREMENT

22. RAY JESSOP TOKEN

23. JOHN SURTEES, HIS FIRST CAR RACE ENTERED BY KEN TYRRELL.
TO THIS DAY JOHN BELIEVES HE WAS BETTER THAN CLARK…

24. LORENZO BANDINI ENNA 1962

25. 1607 METRES

I will now hand you over to David who will deal with all your queries

( now where is my tin hat ! )

#236 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:48

2. TONY MARSH

How about Ken Wharton, multiple hillclimb champ and didn't he drive the V16 in the Albi GP ( Question didn't specifiy Championship GP ) ?

9. RUN CLOCKWISE

Shouldn't this read ANTI clockwise ?

Surely 1967 in tribute to Bandini ?

#237 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 13:16

I am somewhat confused as to the connection in question #6!

I VERY seldom wear wool.

#238 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,494 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 13:27

2. TONY MARSH

How about Ken Wharton, multiple hillclimb champ and didn't he drive the V16 in the Albi GP ( Question didn't specifiy Championship GP ) ?

9. RUN CLOCKWISE

Some good points Chris.

My little bit of research revealed that the dead heat took place on April 15th 1967 (http://www.forix.com/8w/syracuse.htm) in honour of Lorenzo Bandini, who curiously met his fate at Monaco on May 7th 1967 (http://en.wikipedia....naco_Grand_Prix). Spooky :eek:

We reckoned we had all the right answers, but unfortunately some of the questions were wrong ;)

Didn't matter when the points were counted anyway...

Seriously though, as a quiz compiler myself I know how tricky the task can be - you can't always believe what you read, whether on the www or in print, so thanks to DM for putting it together.

Rob :wave:

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 13 August 2009 - 13:31.

#239 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,621 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 14:19

We reckoned we had all the right answers, but unfortunately some of the questions were wrong ;)
Rob :

And not a single one on Harry Ratcliffe, nor one asking for the reg no of Brian Waddilove's E Type.
Huh. That's obviously why we came second
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#240 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 15:03

You dare to think our team couldn't have answered those? :wave:

#241 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,621 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 15:50

the reg no of Brian Waddilove's E Type.
Roger Lund

and what was the colour of the car? not shown in b/w pics...........
RL

#242 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,663 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 15:50

4. COOPER T54 MONACO 1958 ? I THINK…

Vanwall always had disc brakes, so it has to be Aintree 1957, surely?

#243 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 15:59

Question 4 says "Grand Prix" not "Championship GP" so I think that the answer is the Connaught at Syracuse in 1955, which Jenks says in A Story of Formula 1 was the first GP win for a disc-braked car.

#244 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,663 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 16:04

Yes of course! (Note to self - always read the question carefully ... )

#245 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 16:08

3. SOCIETA ESERCIZIO FABRICHE AUTOMOBILI ET CORSE

How about Société d'Etude et de Fabrication d'Automobiles de Course ( the prewar French GP car), or
Southern Equatorial Ferrari Automobili Club (the South African Ferrari club)

Wikipedia has Scuderia Enzo Ferrari Automobili Corsa, but I think this is incorrect.

And I endorse kingsleyrob's comment about the difficulty compiling a quiz - particularly for a bunch like TNF.

Edited by D-Type, 13 August 2009 - 16:12.

#246 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,621 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 16:43

[quote name='D-Type' date='Aug 13 2009, 17:08' post='3795110']
How about Société d'Etude et de Fabrication d'Automobiles de Course ( the prewar French GP car), quote]
We had that self same discussion, mentioning that Christophe Pund had it for sale recently, pre and post Retromobile
RL

#247 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 17:55

Wikipedia has Scuderia Enzo Ferrari Automobili Corsa, but I think this is incorrect.

Really? That is the very answer/guess that Odseybod and I worked out 'on a napkin'! So near and yet so far...

#248 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:32

2. TONY MARSH

9. RUN CLOCKWISE

Hi Chris,

I am guilty of not being precise myself...

I should indeed have said World Championship Grand Prix which also applies to the disc brake question. For various reasons I did not have time to research answers, the fun in setting the quiz is doing it from memory and hopefully not just questions which have an answer which could be looked up on Google but require some knowledge and interpretation and get teh party going. However leafing through Autosports and Motor Sports neither DSJ or Gregor Grand seem to have made a thing of the first Championship victory using discs which is very strange. I too look forward to the definitive answer. In fact I was rather hoping it might have been Jo Bonnier's win at Zandvoort where I think he had a peculiar arrangement with a disc on the rear of the gearbox (or did I imagine that ? )

Yes Anti clockwise

The clue was in the question What CLOSELY linked...

:cool:

#249 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:38

Really? That is the very answer/guess that Odseybod and I worked out 'on a napkin'! So near and yet so far...

Putting a question in where the Google answer is incorrect would be really sneaky, wouldn't it ???

:cool:

#250 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,923 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:15

My usefulness to the team was dramatically reduced when I found there was no mobile reception in the hall so I couldn't google the answers.