3-Litre F1 25 year celebration, Donington 1991

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:35

Posted ImageBy giraffe138 at 2009-01-10

Just dug out this amazing pic from May 1991 at Donington; I suspect some TNF'rs will have been there?

L to R, Brian Henton, Mike Wilds, Richard Attwood, Howden Ganley, Guy Edwards, Paul Stewart, Bette Hill, J.P.Jarier, Jody Scheckter, Denny Hulme, Sir Jack Brabham,Derek, Bell, & Peter Warr.

Advertisement

#2 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:41

Resized for easier identification.

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:45

Mike Wilds, ahead of his time is driving a virtual Donington British GP, while Lorina Boughton is mixing it with the press corp wearing a recently developed head restraint!

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:10

In this pic, Jody had just broken wind; Jumper see's the funny side, and Bette has only just got wind of it.............!

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:24

Posted Image
By giraffe138

The late great Bear, back in an M23 and deep in thought.......................

#6 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 13:09

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Another shot of Denny in James Hunt's McLaren M23, just a year before he died at only 57 years of age. James died at only 45; a much missed champ in a much missed champ's car, both lost much too early in my view.

#7 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 13:14

The original shot of Denny in smaller format. I love this shot; he was so deep in thought, almost transfixed that day.I seemed totally oblivious to him at such close quarters.

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 15:09

Originally posted by Giraffe
In this pic, Jody had just broken wind; Jumper see's the funny side, and Bette has only just got wind of it.............!

:lol: Lovely caption! :lol:

#9 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 15:22

I was there filming proceedings.

#10 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 20:23

You must have been standing on my toes, Giraffe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paul M

#11 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 20:32

Who is front Centre Paul? JPB?

#12 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:49

Posted By Gary C

'Indeed, some of Richard's video from this event will feature in my forthcoming Lotus 72 DVD.'

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:24

Who is front Centre Paul? JPB?

Indeed it is, Giraffe

#14 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 13:58

The original shot of Denny in smaller format. I love this shot; he was so deep in thought, almost transfixed that day.I seemed totally oblivious to him at such close quarters.

You are quite correct Giraffe.

I was very much involved in bringing together this event and the stars you see pictured. All this way before Goodwood... In fact only recently I found in a cupboard the commemorative sweat shirt and programme from the event. Not to mention the precious video.

When we decided to invite the Formula 1 drivers, team managers, ex World Champions and so on we really had no idea what the response would be, after all, nobody had done this before. The reactions were a fascinating insight into their character...

A call to The Bear was made with a degree of trepidation and Denny's response was immediate 'send me an airline ticket, steerage will be fine, and I'll be there' Wow great start. Next Jody, not quite the same response from the guy who, unlike Denny, had made a fortune after walking down the front of his recalcitrant T5 Ferrari at Watkins Glen and away from the sport. Jody asked for a sizeable sum and if I recall correctly absorbed most, if not all, of the HSCCs budget for the event !

The evening before the event we were booked in to the Donington Thistle and just before dinner wondered if Denny might be there alone. A call to his room to invite him down elicited a slightly gruff ( Bear like ? ) response but he said he would be down shortly. Of course we had quite forgotten the effect of a 26 hour flight. What had we let ourselves in for ? Denny duly appeared and joined the three of us, Georgie Shaw, Lorina and myself for one of the most remarkable evenings. The Grizzly certainly turned out to be more a bear of the Teddy variety, a more charming dinner companion you could not imagine as the conversation ranged between the early days with Brabham, his time in CanAm, driving for, and losing, Bruce and so on.

The following day Denny was due to drive Lorina's M23 chassis 6. Denny having won the Argentine Grand Prix in this very car in 1974. As he settled himself into the cockpit he became, as Giraffe astutely observed, completely lost in thought. One of the reasons was that although he knew he would be driving an M23 he had not realised it was 'his' car. As he looked around I swear a tear came to the Bear's eye because Denny always retained a special set of belts which were, shall we say, a little easier to quick release than some others. Denny of course came from the era when it was still believed better to be thrown out than hang around waiting for the fire. His Indy accident no doubt confirming this belief.

After the quite contemplation we set him off 'Five laps Denny, just for the cameras'. And so 5 laps came, and went, 6, 8 12... the M23s body language out of the chicane showing that the two old war horses were having a great time. Three laps past a frantically waved INN sign naturally had no effect and then the duo failed to appear... Oh sh-t we thought... a few minutes past and The Bear free wheeled in to the pit lane completely out of gas. That was the only thing that was going to stop him on that occasion !

Sorry for the lengthy response Giraffe but it was a genuine privilege to be involved that day with a truly lovely man. And you were so right, he was indeed transfixed that day and oblivious because, I am sure he was in another place at another time.

Now, the tales of Warr, Topp, Duckworth, Jumper etc...

#15 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 16:59

Thankyou for the insight, David. Strictly as a punter at the event, it was fabuolous! The degree of accessability to the stars and the cars was well ahead of it's time, and a precursor of Goodwood, for certain.
Your efforts were much appreciated, and long remembered........

#16 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:15

David, thank you for that wonderful story. It had to be a memorable occasion to see Hulme reunited with a car that he himself had driven to victory.

#17 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:23

Ah yes the 'Jumper' Jarier short story.

Jean-Pierre Jarier had been pretty famous for his starts in F2 and one explanation was that he simply put the car in second gear rather than first thus saving a split second off the grid...

A pristine Tyrrell 009 had been provided for JP to do a few leisurely demonstration laps and was warmed and ready in the pit lane. The star driver arrived, walked around the car a couple of times and then was strapped in. The DFV was fired up and ready for the off, little did Keith Duckworth's finest know what was in store. Jumper then gave us a very close up insight into his technique which went something along these lines...

Select second gear

Foot to the floor with the DFV on it's rev limiter at 10,400 rpm

Slide foot sideways of clutch while keeping throttle foot floored

Disappear sideways in huge cloud of tyre smoke up pit lane with DFV revving it's n-ts off

Revive onlooking car owner !

These guys don't forget how to do it and take no prisoners, Jumper loved every minute of it as did the onlookers

And then there was Jody...

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:33

Originally posted by David Force
And then there was Jody...

Yes please, David. :wave:

#19 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 17:43

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Posted ImageBy [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/giraffe138]giraffe138

The Jumper prepares to jump! These pics are the actual illustrations of David's story from Donington, 1991!
The car was I think owned by Tom Denyer, or at least prepared by him at the time for Max Samuel-Camps, so it was one or both of these chaps who required the smelling salts!

Advertisement

#20 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 19:01

Great pics Giraffe, pity TNF wasn't about then...

You are spot on with the medical requirements too.

If you have others it may prompt some more memories.

We should get RTH to show his film at the upcoming Film Show.

#21 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 19:12

Great pics, and it's good to hear some of the 'behind-the-scenes' stories- as Giraffe said, it really was a fabulous weekend for a punter. I'll have to dig my pics out as well, and see if there's anything worth scanning

#22 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 19:38

Good Lord Mike Wilds as changed from the wild hippy when I knew him at both Bourne and later at Le mans in 82 to the spit of my maths master!

#23 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 20:43

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Here, Lorina gives the Bear some pointers on how to drive the M23.....................

Is that Ronnie Barker & David Jason lending a hand?!?!

#24 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:02

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Derek Bell contemplates what might have so easily been...............

#25 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:14

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Pete Warr at last got his chance behind the wheel of a Lotus 72...............

#26 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:24

Posted ImageBy giraffe138

Rick Hall receives some expert tuition from someone who really does know how to drive a BRM H16 behind a tow truck, Dickie Attwood!

Posted Image
By giraffe138

#27 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:20

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Here, Lorina gives the Bear some pointers on how to drive the M23.....................

Is that Ronnie Barker & David Jason lending a hand?!?!

No it was Jack Douglas and Harry Secombe.

#28 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:23

Great pics Giraffe, pity TNF wasn't about then...

You are spot on with the medical requirements too.

If you have others it may prompt some more memories.

We should get RTH to show his film at the upcoming Film Show.

Well if there is enough interest it could be at the next one, maybe in June.

#29 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:07

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Pete Warr at last got his chance behind the wheel of a Lotus 72...............

Peter, as a past Japanese Grand Prix winner, seemed pretty well qualified to drive one of 'his' cars. We were quite surprised when he turned up wearing a set of Elio de Angelis' JPS overalls and when quizzed it was clear that Peter had a very soft spot indeed for the Italian. He said that there were days when he could be very fast indeed, and remember his team mate was one A Senna... However during the conversations it became clear that the appeal to PW was the intelligence of the cultured Italian, a sad loss indeed.

Shortly after Peter arrived he bumped in to Roy Topp. Roy, of course, is so well known for his lifetime service with Ken Tyrrell being one of the small band of talented mechanics who worked with Neil Davies at the wood yard. We had more or less forgotten that when Peter was given the task by Walter Wolf to set up his racing 'Superteam' one of the first calls was to Roy. The obvious delight when Peter bumped into Roy was one of the moments which made the whole event worthwhile. And when Jody joined the reunion was complete.

Peter went out in the group of star drivers and was a little more circumspect than some, when he arrived back at the end of the session he said how wonderful it had been to drive chassis 6 the car in which Mad Ronald won four Grands Prix in 1973. He did also confess to over revving a touch and when asked by just how much reckoned 'between 11 and 12' I missed a golden opportunity to give PW one of his own famous rollickings and get him on the receiving end for once ! We subsequently became great friends and still await his autobiography... :cool:

#30 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:17

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Mad Ronald's 72, (with Harry Seacombe in attendance!)

Posted Image
By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/giraffe138

....with Pete Warr peddling it furiously!

#31 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:26

Posted Image
By giraffe138[/

The National Motor Museum lent it's Lotus 49 for the event.......

Posted Image
By [url="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/giraffe138"]giraffe138

.....driven by Tony Merrick. (Can someone provide the history of this particular chassis?)

#32 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:38

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Black Jack demonstrated a Brabham BT35 with great verve! I think it belonged to Lincoln Small, but I'm not sure; I remember Jack autographing it though!
The lack of fencing at Goddards made photography and viewing a whole lot more pleasurable in those days.

#33 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:03

Pity those two beautiful Lotus shots don't enlarge when clicked on.

#34 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:26

They were shot in the pre-digital age, Macoran. Scanned, cropped and posted.

#35 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:54

Posted Image
By giraffe138[/

The National Motor Museum lent it's Lotus 49 for the event.......

Posted Image
By [url="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/giraffe138"]giraffe138

.....driven by Tony Merrick. (Can someone provide the history of this particular chassis?)

To quote the Beaulieu website:

Twelve cars were built, though chassis R3 has some unique modifications. The sole surviving 1967 team car, it was built overnight on the eve of the British Grand Prix for Graham Hill, and used by him for the rest of the season. Following the South African Grand Prix of 1968, the car was sold and raced there for many years. Restored in 1982, it came to the museum three years later.

I seem to remember Doug Nye owned this car or was responsible for it's repatriation to the UK and it's following restoration :)

#36 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:28

Certainly resonsible (along with Jenks, I think) for it returning to these shores. he posted some wonderful photos of when the car first arrived back here, painted in a lovely powder blue!!

#37 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:28

Ah yes Alan, the Nye car. I seem to recall that a mechanic from the museum wrapped it around a tree immediatley post restoration, inflicting severe damage upon it, and even more upon himself that took him an awful long time to recover from. Does anyone remember the circumstances surrounding this? I seem to remember Doug relating it somewhere on another thread?
It was in awesome fettle in 1991 however.

#38 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:37

Ah yes Alan, the Nye car. I seem to recall that a mechanic from the museum wrapped it around a tree immediatley post restoration, inflicting severe damage upon it, and even more upon himself that took him an awful long time to recover from. Does anyone remember the circumstances surrounding this? I seem to remember Doug relating it somewhere on another thread?
It was in awesome fettle in 1991 however.

Which is why I thought he may have been involved. I've done a search and here it is :)

http://forums.autosp...eum#post3072054

#39 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 14:55

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Another angle on R3. Interestingly, in the pics I have of the car it appears to have a yellow screen, so I wonder if the car was crashed and rebuilt sometime after May 1991 as DCN indicate that it was rebuilt with a clear screen.
Who actually own's R3 now? Anyway, it was good of the museum or owner to let it run that weekend, as it rarely sees the light of day. Back in the late 1970's, there was another GLTL 49 residing at the museum to which the catalogue attributed ownership to Colin Chapman; doubtless this found it's way back to Classic Team Lotus?

Advertisement

#40 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:48

A bit of a coincidence over the weekend, as I was going through my magazine collection which is pretty selective due to space, I stumbled across the July / August 1993 edition of "Historic Race & Rally" published by Clive Richardson of Startline Publications. This is Issue 5 Volume 1, and I don't think it got a whole lot further than that if I recall correctly. I only retain it because it's the only one I ever bought!
I first spotted this magazine on a news stand at a European airport, possibly Schipol, featuring Chevron, and not having enough Guilders on me at the time, thought I'd purchase it on my return to Blighty. Unfortunatley I never could find that edition, but purchased what I think was the next one.
Now the coincidence is that the front cover of the magazine features Mad Ronald's Lotus 72/6, and heavily features the Lotus 72 within, including a fascinating interview with TNF'r and contributor to this thread, David (Force) McLaughlin, with a picture of David and Lorina with Clive Richardson.. It was highly amusing to read that when he initially purchased 72/6 from the Gunston Collection in South Africa, they sent him 72/3 by mistake, because it had race number 6 painted on it!!!
Adding to the coincidence, this issue of the magazine features the report of the first Goodwood Festival, James Hunt's obituary, the report on the 25th commerative celebration of Jim Clark in Scotland, and also a letter in appreciation of Denis Hulme; all interconnected and rather spooky if you ask me!
I'm sure HR&R features in other threads, but could anyone give me some background to the magazine and it's short life, and where I might be able to pick up the edition featuring Chevron? I see DCN was a major contributor to it.

#41 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 19:07

Spooky for sure, I had almost forgotten that magazine. Clive made a great attempt but as so often happens the things many of us would like to read about are not really commercial. a pity as the standard was really high.

Given all of that and the fact that McLaren M23/6 was driven to victory by both Denny and James and then owned by Lorina for twenty years and I had the massive honour of Ronnies 72/6 for twentyfour years it is weird.

Oh yes, the story of the 'confused' Lotus 72s...
:cool:

#42 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 19:34

Are you no longer custodian of these two pieces of history, David? I last remember seeing Lorina in the M23 at GP Live at Donington in 2007; I think you were in a Lotus 49 at that event?

#43 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:59

In fact Vern Schuppan drove the 49 at GPLive, I was rather occupied as I had assembled the 132 Grand Prix cars present although, fortunately, not involved in any other way with the event. A great vision on behalf of the promoters but a financial disaster.

Ronnie's 72/6 has gone to pastures new having given me massive pleasure for all those years.

Lorina still drives the M23 and an ex Schumacher Benetton B192 :cool:

#44 Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen

• 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 13:08

David, did Lorina loan the car to Frank Lyons for the Monaco Historic Grand Prix in 2008 and at the Goodwood Revival in 2007?

#45 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 14:30

In fact Vern Schuppan drove the 49 at GPLive, I was rather occupied as I had assembled the 132 Grand Prix cars present although, fortunately, not involved in any other way with the event. A great vision on behalf of the promoters but a financial disaster.

Ronnie's 72/6 has gone to pastures new having given me massive pleasure for all those years.

Lorina still drives the M23 and an ex Schumacher Benetton B192 :cool:

The problem with events such as GPLive David is that the organisers get carried away on a wave of personal nostalgia and think that everyone shares the same enthusiasm for the history of motorsport as you or I do; not so! Our division of the sport creates alot of interest amongst enthusiasts, but in the greater scheme of things it remains a minority interest. Nostalgia for anything has a sell by date as the generations pass through, at which point it is left to the historians.
The only guy to get his head around it successfully in terms of creating a revenue generating, mass participation event is Lord March, and he does this by skilfully blending the old with the new, and the chic with the chav so that there is plenty to interest everyone who flocks to the Festival of Speed; just observe the demographic profile of the crowd; immediatley noticeable as quite different to that of those who attend a major historic race meeting for example.
The positive element of it for me is that the lack of mass attendance affords me exceptional accessability to my hobby!

Posted Image

Mario Andretti, available to chat to at GPLive, Donington 2007.

#46 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 14:43

I'm sure HR&R features in other threads, but could anyone give me some background to the magazine and it's short life, and where I might be able to pick up the edition featuring Chevron? I see DCN was a major contributor to it.

.....and another TNFer, David McKinney. It was a fantastic magazine while it lasted. Superb quality, both physically and editorially. I subscribed to it at the time, and also later managed to get hold of a complete bound run (one volume!) for the princely sum of £5.

#47 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 15:33

[i]Originally posted by Alan Cox .....and another TNFer, David McKinney. It was a fantastic magazine while it lasted. Superb quality, both physically and editorially. ]

I agree fully, although I only have issue 3 vol 1, but that is full of long pieces on Corner and the pre warMB, with the MB historical stuff as a separate item by DCN, Fall and the rallying 240Z, the full McLaren Can Am story, the Sebring MGBs etc. Top stuff, well written and produced. Too esoteric to make a profit I suspect.
Roger Lund

#48 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 18:11

Originally posted by Wouter Melissen
David, did Lorina loan the car to Frank Lyons for the Monaco Historic Grand Prix in 2008 and at the Goodwood Revival in 2007?

No, Franck's car is an M26 chassis 1 if memory serves me correct :cool:

#49 Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen

• 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 18:30

No, Franck's car is an M26 chassis 1 if memory serves me correct :cool:

I might be mistaken but this looks like a M23 to me:
http://www.ultimatec...ry.php?num=9694 (2007 Revival)

Here is what I believe to be the same car at Monaco, where we wrote down the M23/6 chassis number:
http://www.ultimatec...y.php?num=12217

#50 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 19:25

Originally posted by Wouter Melissen
I might be mistaken but this looks like a M23 to me:
http://www.ultimatec...ry.php?num=9694 (2007 Revival)

Here is what I believe to be the same car at Monaco, where we wrote down the M23/6 chassis number:
http://www.ultimatec...y.php?num=12217

The second photo, of car number 6, is listed in the Monaco 2008 program, in group F, as 1974 McLaren M23, owner/driver Andrea Burani. I believe this is M23/6.

Frank Lyons is listed in group G, in car number 25, 1976 McLaren M26. I believe this is M26/1.

By the way, here is Burani's "road car", parked outside a hotel near the Casino on the Saturday...750 Monza 0462M. He ran it in the Mille Miglia the following week...

Posted Image

Vince H.