Silverstone Jaguar LT3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:00

I'm wondering if the info I have listed on my site is correct about this car:

This is one of three cars produced in 1951 to fill in for the overdue C Type.
The C Types did in fact come out for the 1951 season so this Silverstone
Jag was sent to the U.S. where it was raced by the great Phil Hill.

Posted Image

Does anyone know more about these "Silverstones"??

-cliff

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:48

LT1 went to Jaguar employee Bob Berry and was fitted to his existing XK120 chassis. Shortly after it acquired a dry sump D type engine and 4 wheel discs-it was registered MWK120. It eventually came to David Cottingham who advertised it in Road&Track in 1968 and it was bought by Bill Makin of Vancouver. It sat for several years and then was 'cleaned up' by local restorer Ed Arnold and in 1977 began a vintage racing career, still owned by Bill Makin but driven by the late (and large) Peter Price. I worked for Peter at the time and spent some time helping race prepare the car. It won races at Westwood, Portland and Laguna Seca. The car appears in the Mercedes Benz film made at Laguna in 1978 but Mercedes falsified the film and showed Paul O'Shea in a 300SL beating the Jag. I watched the whole race, standing beside Henry Manney, and can assure you that even with O'Shea aboard the 300SL couldn't catch the Jag-the Jag led it to the chequered flag by quite a margin. But they were both behind an ilegal 57 Corvette (327Cu inch engine).

Peter Price left Vancouver in 1981 and his arrangement with Bill Makin ended. Bill parked the car in front of his house and proceeded to drink himself to death-a process that can and did take a long time. Finally, in the late eighties, David Cottingham called Bill out of the blue and asked him if he would sell the car back to him. Bill, probably pissed at the time agreed. His daughters attempted to sue to get the car back after Bill's death shortly after this. Many people had attempted to buy the car-it was there beside a busy street, in appalling condition with the house behind it falling down as well.

Apparently, LT1 is now in a collection in Japan.

#3 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 00:23

I am surprised this thread petered out so fast as these are very interesting car 3 bodies made for a team of cars for Le Mans 1951 but C type finished in time so only 2 cars completed both sent to USA where they had reasonably active race histories inc Elkhart Lake and Phil Hill raced one car. One remained in active use race wise until 60's in Denver where Moss drove it at one point mid 1960's by which stage this car had aquired a C type looking front and grill. This car went back to the UK for restoration and today is owned by Chris Jaques. The car remained in better condition and is in Washington.
Where was the photo taken that is shown with the young lad alongside?
Does anyone know what happened to Henry Manney's archives?
regards terry

I'm wondering if the info I have listed on my site is correct about this car:

This is one of three cars produced in 1951 to fill in for the overdue C Type.
The C Types did in fact come out for the 1951 season so this Silverstone
Jag was sent to the U.S. where it was raced by the great Phil Hill.

Posted Image

Does anyone know more about these "Silverstones"??

-cliff

#4 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:49

Where was the photo taken that is shown with the young lad alongside?

The picture looks like it is of LT3 owned by Tom Hendricks since 1974. It was in that grey primer then and maybe still is!

#5 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:01

tony you are almost certainly correct that it is Hendricks car and this was my guess I was hoping the original poster would have picked up on the reactivation of the thread and advised where and when pic was taken.
I went to see Hendricks last year after XK60 but car was not visible did get some good info though.
Also picked up some fanstatic pics recently of the 2 cars.
regards terry

The picture looks like it is of LT3 owned by Tom Hendricks since 1974. It was in that grey primer then and maybe still is!

#6 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 17:43

tony you are almost certainly correct that it is Hendricks car and this was my guess I was hoping the original poster would have picked up on the reactivation of the thread and advised where and when pic was taken.
I went to see Hendricks last year after XK60 but car was not visible did get some good info though.
Also picked up some fanstatic pics recently of the 2 cars.
regards terry

The picture was taken when my Dad, Jack Reuter, owned the car, I would guess the pic was taken
in 1972 or 73. I'd love to see recent pics of the car if you have any. The "young lad" in the picture
is me. Here is a link to more pictures of the car when we owned it:

http://www.cliffreuter.com/others.htm

cliff reuter
etceterini.com

Edited by etceterini.com, 27 September 2009 - 17:46.

#7 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:43

Your dad certainly owned it by 1970 and by mid to late 1974 it was being sold by kirk white a classic car dealer.
I would certainly love to fill in the gaps between mid 1950's and 1970.
One of the LT cars was being advertised from middleton RI in 1960 and would guess that it was LT3
regards terry

The picture was taken when my Dad, Jack Reuter, owned the car, I would guess the pic was taken
in 1972 or 73. I'd love to see recent pics of the car if you have any. The "young lad" in the picture
is me. Here is a link to more pictures of the car when we owned it:

http://www.cliffreuter.com/others.htm

cliff reuter
etceterini.com