Photo

Damon Hill's higher education

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 21:31

The article I found on crash.net (http://www.crash.net...rary_award.html),; according to which Damon Hill is about to get an Honorary Fellowship at the from the University of Northampton next month. That made me wonder: does Damon have higher education at all? AFAIK, he did attend some sort of a college in the beginning of the Eighties, but I cannot remember what followed next and whether he graduated from it at all.

Advertisement

#2 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 22:06

I seem to remember reading that he did some kind of "business studies" course.

#3 Coral

Coral

• 6,727 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 22:40

IIRC Damon studied Business Studies at the old South Bank Polytechnic in the early 1980s. He met his wife Georgie there too I believe, she was studying Fashion Design or something like that.

#4 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:18

Originally posted by Coral
IIRC Damon studied Business Studies at the old South Bank Polytechnic in the early 1980s. He met his wife Georgie there too I believe, she was studying Fashion Design or something like that.

Thank you for your responses. However, I'd love to have some proofs, as otherwise there will be little use of this information.

#5 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:59

proof?? I dont think someone would lie about going to South Bank Polly - its hardly Oxbridge!

#6 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:35

Originally posted by simon drabble
proof?? I dont think someone would lie about going to South Bank Polly - its hardly Oxbridge!

hehehe! :rotfl:

#7 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:50

Originally posted by Andrew, Ford &F1

Thank you for your responses. However, I'd love to have some proofs, as otherwise there will be little use of this information.

If you really need proof, you can write and ask him.
His address is:

c/o BRDC
Silverstone Circuit
Northamptonshire
NN12 8TN

#8 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:05

Why would someone need 'proof' of Damons education? Maybe he's applied for a job with you and you are checking his CV..............!

#9 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:58

That made me wonder: does Damon have a higher education at all? AFAIK, he did attend some sort of a college in the beginning of the Eighties, but I cannot remember what followed next and whether he graduated from it at all.

I know at one point that I read an interview where he stated that in his spare time he was doing some mathematics - possibly with the OU?

#10 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:34

I believe he has a Masters degree in driving a racing car.;)

#11 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:49

I must say there is something slightly worrying about your interest in Damon's education, not everyone needs or wants 'higher education', I've had prescious little apart from an apprenticeship, Honorary Fellowships, as far as I know, are awarded for what you have achieved in life, not how long you spent at skool.

#12 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:51

Originally posted by ghinzani

hehehe! :rotfl:

OK, I admit that "proof" wasn't probably the right word. However, I was preparing an article about him and therefore wanted to get some links or something like that.

#13 taran

taran

• 4,441 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 13:12

Originally posted by Tony Matthews
I must say there is something slightly worrying about your interest in Damon's education, not everyone needs or wants 'higher education', I've had prescious little apart from an apprenticeship, Honorary Fellowships, as far as I know, are awarded for what you have achieved in life, not how long you spent at skool.

Actually, most are given to people who made a lot of money, usually by shady dealings or ethics, who then try to buy respectability by donating a shitload of money to some Institute of Higher Learning and get rewarded by a Honorary Degree. These Institutes then also give a few to famous people, supposedly to reward their achievements in arts, sports or business but in reality to give a respectable veneer to the entire sordid business of selling titles.

#14 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 13:41

certainly not everyone needs higher education, but I was just curious about Damon, nothing worrying at all. I know that most drivers do not have higher education nowadays, as they start their careers early and have no time to study. But I know that Damon did not spend all his life racing, so, in theory, he could have had enough time to get a diploma.

#15 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 14:05

Originally posted by taran

Actually, most are given to people who made a lot of money, usually by shady dealings or ethics, who then try to buy respectability by donating a shitload of money to some Institute of Higher Learning and get rewarded by a Honorary Degree. These Institutes then also give a few to famous people, supposedly to reward their achievements in arts, sports or business but in reality to give a respectable veneer to the entire sordid business of selling titles.

I'm sure you are mostly right, taran, but I just chose to be less cynical than my normal self to make a point. Making a 'shitload' of money is an achievement in itself, not all who do are shady. I'm just relieved I don't have to buy respectability, I couldn't afford it!;)

#16 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 14:09

Andrew, Ford &F1 -

Looks you need to read Damon Hill: From Zero to Hero by Alan Henry, which I think has some details of Damon's childhood and upbringing.
Damon was 15 and at Haberdashers' Aske's School in Elstree when his father was killed. The familily's financial situation (dire) meant that he had to leave school and find work. I don't know the details and haven't read the book.
Having said that I well remember the smile on Bette Hill's face one day at a Brands Hatch G.P. when Damon was in a supporting race, and Tony Matthews said something to her like "bet you can't wait to see Damon on the grid here in a G.P."

#17 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 14:31

If somebody does make loads of money and gives some of it away why not give him a title or anything else.They don't cost money and relieves the Taxpaper the need to spend more money.Would have thought any gift would be gratefully accepted at present.Old car racing would not exist if there were not these people with money so you can't have it all ways.

#18 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 15:11

OK, I admit that "proof" wasn't probably the right word. However, I was preparing an article about him and therefore wanted to get some links or something like that.

I think the word you were looking for is 'confirmation'. You are correct to be deeply suspicious of anything you may read on the web and to seek confirmation before going into print. Some people appear incapable of distinguishing fact from fantasy!

If you had said in your first post that you are writing an article, I think you might have received a more sympathetic response.

#19 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 18:19

Originally posted by Kpy

Having said that I well remember the smile on Bette Hill's face one day at a Brands Hatch G.P. when Damon was in a supporting race, and Tony Matthews said something to her like "bet you can't wait to see Damon on the grid here in a G.P."

Bloody hell, Kipps, where would we be without your elephantine memory? I'd completely forgotten that, we were hanging off the wire-mesh fencing on the inside of Bottom Bend, behind the backs of the team transporters when Betty Hill appeared, I think Mansell and Piquet were battling for the lead (probably wrong!), and I said it in a moment of relative silence. Thanks.

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 20:41

Originally posted by Kpy
Andrew, Ford &F1 -

Looks you need to read Damon Hill: From Zero to Hero by Alan Henry, which I think has some details of Damon's childhood and upbringing.
Damon was 15 and at Haberdashers' Aske's School in Elstree when his father was killed. The familily's financial situation (dire) meant that he had to leave school and find work. I don't know the details and haven't read the book.

I certainly do. But there is no way I can find it in my home country, which does not have any racing tradition, to say the very least... However, I do have "Damon Hill On Top of the World" by Alan Henry. Unfortunately, nothing is mentioned about Hill's education.

#21 taran

taran

• 4,441 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 22:31

I'm sure you are mostly right, taran, but I just chose to be less cynical than my normal self to make a point. Making a 'shitload' of money is an achievement in itself, not all who do are shady. I'm just relieved I don't have to buy respectability, I couldn't afford it!;)

I have nothing against people who have made a lot of money (in a legal or ethical way). I am talking about the clowns who buy a scientific title. Usually, these are not genuine self-made people who didn't get a higher education but made it anyway because they usually see little benefit in acquiring some useless piece of paper later in life.

Usually, these are people who did the Bernie route. First get rich and then (try to get) respectable.

As to John's suggestion that any and all money is good, I have a different view on that, obviously. Would you want drug dealers involved in your favorite race series? Maffia? They may have a superficial liking to the sport but wouldn't their questionable morals and business ethics not spill over to the actual racing.

Would you dare overtake some sleazy drug lord knowing he has anger issues and doesn't like to lose?

No, there are few sports or economic branches which willingly accept dirty money and those that do inevitably come to regret selling out as criminal activities tend to follow such as match making, intimidating opponents etc.

#22 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:09

Northampton University?

They allow Northampton College to give Doctorates now?

#23 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:16

I have nothing against people who have made a lot of money (in a legal or ethical way). I am talking about the clowns who buy a scientific title. Usually, these are not genuine self-made people who didn't get a higher education but made it anyway because they usually see little benefit in acquiring some useless piece of paper later in life.

taran, old chap, I thought we were talking about Damon Hill possibly being offered an Honorary Fellowship, that's all . Nearly everything you say I completely agree with, I just couldn't, at the moment of writing, get worked up about it. Any way, motor racing has a well-known link with crime, like any other walk of life, remember Roy James, headless saloon-car drivers on Romney Marsh, BTCC team owners banged-up, various cases of smuggling, and that's just what I know about, and I know nothing, your worship! There are lots of things that go on at the pinnacle of motor racing that I find questionable, but so far it has not dimmed my enthusiasm, only the racing has done that.

As for other sports, how many major spenders in UK football have made their billions completely ethically? Regarding 'economic branches', anyone would think that the City is populated with paragons of virtue - if it was there would be no economic meltdown...

As for 'daring to overtake some sleazy drug lord..', please don't assume that I am as spineless as you seem to infer that you are!;)

Thank you and good night.

#24 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:19

It's about time Luton University (!) gave me a Doctorate, I must have a word with my old tutor. Not sure how much I can afford, though.....

#25 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:38

. . . Luton University (!) .....

The oxymoron is alive and well :lol:

#26 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:40

Originally posted by Allan Lupton

The oxymoron is alive and well :lol:

That's one of the nicest things I've ever been called, Allan, thank you, I am alive and well!;)

#27 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:43

It's about time Luton University (!) gave me a Doctorate, I must have a word with my old tutor. Not sure how much I can afford, though.....

Can you get one for me while you're at it :cool:

#28 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:46

What do you reckon, Alan, £10 each and a bottle of Jack Daniels? Don't want to offer too much, they may have very low expectations!

#29 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:49

What do you reckon, Alan, £10 each and a bottle of Jack Daniels? Don't want to offer too much, they may have very low expectations!

Nah, just the tenner and we'll share the JD to celebrate :)

#30 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:50

Good call!

#31 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:57

My proudest qualification is my Cycling Proficiency Certificate - 1953. Unfortunately D.C. Nye CPC impresses few... If I'd got a second one, would that become CPC & Bar? Ahem, or perhaps CPC & Crossbar? :rolleyes: Sorry, it's early...

DCN

#32 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:43

Not a bad qualification to be saddled with, Doug! If you think it has value, perhaps you could peddle it....

#33 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:11

Originally posted by john ruston
If somebody does make loads of money and gives some of it away why not give him a title or anything else.They don't cost money and relieves the Taxpaper the need to spend more money.Would have thought any gift would be gratefully accepted at present.Old car racing would not exist if there were not these people with money so you can't have it all ways.

Old car racing did exist before the nouveau riche johnnie come latelies arrived and there is a very strong argument that it was a whole lot better then. Sadly old car racing has achieved a socila cachet which in many case attracts the sort who totally fail to understand the ethos that some of us old car guys had forty or so years ago.
Perhaps the sooner it looses this attraction to the newly moneyed the better.

#34 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:52

Motor Racing has always been for the haves not the have nots.Pretty snobbish way of looking at it ,all this 40 years ago,or were they superior people in the old days.I do not see that many new rich in Historics but I do know many whose father and grandfathers did it.This may not be the case for the moderns but I am not really interested in that form of the past time .It was about 40/50 years when Mr Eccleston was driving and he was newly well off so things were much the same then.The majority of racing people made their particular fortune without resorting to illegal means so why worry about the small minority that did not,Bank robbers and drug people from 40 and 20 years ago.I remember the paddock signs 'Roy James was here' Snet and Goodwood.Don't think many of them had a CPC though,I did in 54.There are a few people who write on this Forum with anger issues,suppose its a good thing that someone volunteers as a target!
Anyway it is all these Technical Colleges made into Universaties that are the problem,they seem to give Honours Degrees away without any problem.If an individule gives 750,000 Pounds a year to back an Academy school why not give them an honour,saves money.
Perhaps you should suggest an interview /vetting procedure that anyone intending to race Historics should go through before being allowed out and if he is the wrong type of chap black ball him.
Must find Bonhams No to sell the cars and tell that Lewis Hamilton boy to resign from his job as we would have no chance!

#35 taran

taran

• 4,441 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 15:56

I am not sure what your point is? You seem to think that getting public recognition (i.e. an academic title) because of donating is a good thing. And that anyone with a buck to spare should be welcome in the paddock, irrespective of where that money came from. Did I get that right?

I (obviously) feel differently. I think the only people who deserve academic titles are those who bloody well worked for them. And that people like Damon Hill, who may not have gotten an academic title, did pretty well for himself in actual life and has gotten a rather neat title as it is and has no need for some phony academic title by some school trying to drum up publicity while covering up the wholesale sale of other titles.

I strongly oppose anyone getting an academic title just because they bribed some school. If the school needs that to survive, either the school is deficient or the education system.

As to people buying or owning cars, I have no problem with that. I personally just wouldn’t want to rub shoulders with criminals, even if they are just out enjoying their hobby at the moment. Being a criminal IMO is not a job, to be switched off for a weekend’s race, it’s a way of living. These types only play by the rules when it suits them. What happens if they are thwarted? Will they accept this? They don’t accept society’s rules in general, so why racing regulation rules? Will they resort to violence?

So if its all the same to you, I’d prefer my racing criminal-free. Not really an option perhaps but certainly something to strive for. IMO.

#36 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:25

Ahem
as a "genuine" PhD I must say I have nothing against honorary degrees, in general.
A luminous example is the Degree in Engineering given to the late Enzo Ferrari by the Bologna University.
Anyone has doubts he deserved it?
Also, at least in Italy, Honorary Degrees are, well, honorary.
You cannot actually work as an entitled engineer after achieving one in Engineering.

By the way, PhDs are overrated. I can assure you gals are a LOT more interested in if you have a "shitload of money" or not than in what is your education.
When a new acquaintance asks me what's my trade I have learnt to expect the "poor fella" look in her eyes a split second after my answer. And I'm snobbish enough to answer "Scientist".
I just get away with them because of my extreme physical beauty ;)

#37 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:31

...either the school is deficient or the education system.

I happen to think it is, and we live in a world where Governments and Institutions will take money from whosoever offers it. It's the way of the world. I don't condone it, I rant about it, but there is nothing I or you can do about it, except try to live our lives to a higher ideal. If I could afford to compete at club level the fact that there might be a burgler on the same grid would not make me tear off my Nomex and go home, taking my steering wheel with me. You appear to be an idealist - good for you. I'm a realist, a pragmatist, hey! good for me! :)

#38 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 16:31

My point is that there are very,very few criminal sorts in racing today,and I have no idea who they are ,no more than there were fifty years ago.I am totally against any criminal element getting into any sport.The ones with money have usually worked very hard for it or are getting through the inheritance,best of luck to both.I agree that the Honours given out by these Polys are nonsense.I also think if a person gives 750,000 a year to keep a state school running its worth recognition and costs the taxpayer nothing.I am probably missing your point of what these criminal elements are or are you thinking of a certain class of people that should not be welcome.I am aware of the problems in USAC and Cart racing 20 years ago but which people are you referring to racing today as I have not seen any that I would consider shady,not that I have been looking(apart from some of the dealers).The paddock is usually a pretty big place so I am sure you can mix with the correct people if thats what you want .

#39 taran

taran

• 4,441 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 18:47

Well, we seemed to have strayed into an interesting discussion.

Personally, I think the entire concept of honorary degrees to be an abomination. Yes, that includes one for Enzo Ferrari. His achievements in life do not need any fake degree handed down years later by some fly-by-night academy trying to drum up interest. And for all his achievements, he ‘simply’ employed brilliant engineers, he wasn’t one himself. So giving him an honorary engineering degree is about as tacky as giving me a honorary doctorate in arts. Just for the record, I have a bachelors in Government Administration. Certainly not the ticket to fame & riches.

As to a criminal element, my original point was that these honorary degrees most often go to certain people who had made their fortune to less than honest or ethical means and later try to get respectable (because why would you otherwise even want a fake degree, you can just donate money to your favourite university without getting one). Universities collude in this for the money and cover it up by offering a few honorary degrees to famous people, like Enzo or Damon Hill.

I object to this ‘cheap’ way of buying respectability because these characters often don’t play by the rules. Bernie is a perfect example. If even half the stories about him are true, he is a very bad character who merely reformed his image after becoming rich. Yet, his predatory instincts are still very much alive today and come out when thwarted. Would anyone on this forum willingly enter into a deal with Bernie? I’d be loath to shake his hand and would check afterwards if I still had my cheap watch and my hand attached…Simply because Bernie can’t help screwing you, he’s just that kind of guy. And that goes for most of these characters, it’s the way they are, its what made them rich and if they become involved in racing, it wouldn’t make them change their behaviour.

Advertisement

#40 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 23:26

I now understand where you are coming from and it reminds me of a piece written by Hugh McIverney in the Observer about Don King years ago.King was considered one of the hardest/toughest/nastiest boxing promoters that ever lived and Mc Iverney asked in which other sport would he survive.He suggested F1 motor racing but thought he was to nice man compared with those already in the sport.This was years ago.

#41 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 00:06

By the way there is a difference between criminal and legal shape business practise in a dog eat dog business world.
It seems that successful business people are considered shady or even criminal by some on here just because they are wealthy.
I can't understand the logic in that and if these people give money to certain institutions why should they not be honoured by the institution or the country.Many people with these various degrees and educational success need these wealthy businessmen to employ them.Why the hang up about this or is it a feeling of intellectual superiority that must at all costs be protected.Probably a superiority complex.
I often get in trouble on this forum because I am out of step with the majority but in my defence I think that the forum has more factual information for enthusiasts than any other place .Its in matter of opinion rather than facts do I find some of the opinions on here unusual.Dennis Skinner suffered with same problem in another better known discussion shop.

#42 taran

taran

• 4,441 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:23

Hi, John. I find this an interesting discussion. We’ll probably end up agreeing to disagree but that shouldn’t stop us :) .

I certainly don’t have anything against wealthy people. I’d love to be one myself. I do object to people who have gained their wealth in criminal dealings or by using undue means. As would most people I’d assume.

I don’t understand your assumption that donating money should entitle you to some kind of public recognition. Charity is not something to be bandied about IMO. If you want to donate, please do but keep it to yourself. And if the organization which got your donation wants to thank you, let them hand out cuddly toys like the WWF does. Why should you get a ‘honorary degree’ when that is in fact a protected title only handed out to people who have studied hard to get it.

Buying a degree online is a crime yet buying a honorary degree supposedly isn’t? I don’t buy that. That’s not snobbism but we need to maintain boundaries.

How would you feel if Williams would hand out ‘honorary world driver’s champion’ plaques with a Williams in your own personalized livery? In exchange for a substantial amount of course.

Don’t you think that would cheapen the achievements of Williams’ real world champions? Weaken the brand? How would non-angoraks know which Williams drivers did become actual champions and if the wealthy guy with the Williams championship trophy in his living room was a successful driver in the past or just someone who bought his trophy?

Sure, it would still be a fake achievement but enough fake achievements weaken the original achievement. Getting a degree of any kind should be a reward for having met the requirements, not for handing over a bundle of money.

Is that a superiority complex? Do I feel superior to people who don’t have a degree of some sorts? I don’t think so. Damon Hill didn’t get one and I look up to his achievements as a racer and as a gentleman. I know I couldn’t have done either. For starters, I would have kicked a certain German’s ass all around Adelaide…..

#43 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 14:55

We will agree on some things and not others.
Obviously agree that wealth made by criminal activity is unacceptable .I am not sure what 'undue means 'is.On the basis if its not criminal it must be legal therefore acceptable.I have no time for the Murdoch empire and their anti establishment stance on all things especially Royalty and at the same time pushing the right wing views of Fox TV but do not begrudge them their fortune.IMO they do much more damage than the Ecclestons of the world.
People can give money anonymously or be given a trophy of some kind if thats what they want.I don't think it matters.Living the majority of the year in Obamas new empire I am used to people giving money and a trophy of some kind being returned .Its a very British thing this low key stuff although if you back one of the many British cultural institutions you can either be named or anonymously,I suppose from some peoples viewpoint it surprising how many people are named
Back to the original point.The Damon Hill thing could help the educational establishment that chooses to give him the degree.If this is so best of luck and I do not think it dilutes those with a degree they have worked for.As an example on this Forum,I am sure Doug Nye would have a degree in Media Studies if he was 30 years younger ,so what to do, as he deserves one .He has done much more in the media than the average holder of a media studies degree .
Still trying to grasp the Williams bit at end of your piece as I thought there was Alan Jones and then the rest.

#44 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 15:19

Buying degrees......Plagiarism is now so rife, it could reasonably be argued that many students around the world now buy their degrees.

#45 taran

taran

• 4,441 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 15:42

Let me see if i can provide a clear example (it's Friday and its been a long week so perhaps I'm just rambling ;) )

Lets say an organization, let's call it the FIA, allows 22 of the best students to work for a special degree annually. We'll call that degree the WDC.

Only the best student can win this academic title.

However, the FIA also hands out this title to anyone who gives them a bag of money. To differentiate, this title is called ex-WDC.

How do you think those students are going to feel? They have worked hard to get in with a chance of achieving a WDC and now people without the same dedication and/or skills can just come in and buy an all but similar title.

#46 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 16:06

But they know they have not done it and the rest of the world doen't really care!

#47 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 16:23

Not a bad qualification to be saddled with, Doug! If you think it has value, perhaps you could peddle it....

Posted Image

#48 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 17:17

Originally posted by john ruston
But they know they have not done it and the rest of the world doen't really care!

And taran, you have neatly summed up our educational system! Only difference, you don't have to pay, just turn up.

#49 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 17:20

Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback
Posted Image

And lo, it came to pass that his wit, for so it was called, fell on stoney ground. Not even the cactus or the lonely tumbleweed could be arsed...

#50 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 20:56

I guess, we are far away from the original story: 1996 Formula 1 World champion and British Racing Drivers' Club president, Damon Hill will receive an honorary award from the University of Northampton next month at the institution's Winter Graduation ceremonies.
Hill is being presented with an Honorary Fellowship in recognition of his career and outstanding F1 success and for his local connections to Silverstone, Northamptonshire where the British Racing Drivers' Club is based.

It just says that Damon gets an award for what he has done! And not for anything he das NOT done. I guess some comments are unfair and are missing the point.

I am proud for Damon and his family that he is choosen for this honour.

Regards from Vienna, Austria - Alfred