Photo

Save the Honda F1 Team?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:43

I want to see the team on the grid for the 2009 season. I would like to hear some opinions regarding this site.

http://www.savehondaf1.com

It's not like some of the other sites I've seen (myf1dream or vmk racing no disrespect intended to the owner of those sites). I think it has potential to actually work.

Advertisement

#2 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:30

Originally posted by atown505
http://www.savehondaf1.com

Membership means your involved in the teams future...

Its an American company, right?

#3 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:05

Sounds promising. The guy was almost a NASCAR Busch Series team owner.

#4 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:59

It's looking less and less likely they will be on the grid for 09. They need time to get an engine supplier, and to fit this new engine into the chassis depending on who the engine supplier is. Time is running out.

#5 toyotaf1

toyotaf1

• 149 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:05

hahaha first thing i thought was SCAM!

#6 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:42

Originally posted by HoldenRT
It's looking less and less likely they will be on the grid for 09. They need time to get an engine supplier, and to fit this new engine into the chassis depending on who the engine supplier is. Time is running out.

Yes, even the top teams, who have already launched their cars, are hinting that their timescales are tight because of the need to get used to the new regulations and technology. What chance does that give Honda?

These websites and efforts to save the team are praiseworthy, but it is not looking overly hopeful.

#7 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 180 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:26

Hey, if it can work for Ebbsfleet United it can work in F1!

#8 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:33

Originally posted by Chubby_Deuce
Sounds promising. The guy was almost a NASCAR Busch Series team owner.

Indeed, I almost scored a goal once in a match at my Kindergarten when I was 4. That qualifies me to own Arsenal.

#9 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:35

If you have the money you can own both Arsenal and HondaF1.

Still, they've got a gratuitous Obama quote so that must count for something.

#10 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:36

Originally posted by Dudley

Indeed, I almost scored a goal once in a match at my Kindergarten when I was 4. That qualifies me to own Arsenal.

Heh, although you're making light, you're probably not too far off of the truth, these days.

#11 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:37

Originally posted by Dudley

I'll do the web site, lets get the ball rolling.

#12 TwoCents

TwoCents

• 448 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:39

I'll do the web site, lets get the ball rolling.

And we have a team :clap:

#13 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:41

I should say when we own Arsenal I'm insisting on playing up front.

Oh, and we'll offer whatever it takes to get Bira in goal.

#14 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:48

Not you again right with the fan team. One thing: Honda is not going to sell to a bunch of wannabe's. Keep dreaming. It's not realistic. There is no basis at all.

#15 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:38

To save Honda F1 team without Honda's participation is going to be mighty difficult. ;)

#16 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:39

I like it how they put shareholders in haifans...

#17 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 13:19

I'd rather not have them back now and wait until F1 improves.

#18 Jimages

Jimages

• 141 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 15:56

Pie in the sky stuff, Honda are never going to sell to a group like that. It needs to be viable, and simply this isn't.

#19 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 19:16

:down: :down:

Advertisement

#20 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 21:30

Originally posted by Jimages
Pie in the sky stuff, Honda are never going to sell to a group like that. It needs to be viable, and simply this isn't.

Could you please give specific examples of why in your opinion it isnt viable?

#21 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 22:27

Because you have no credibility Mr. Collins. :lol:

#22 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 23:01

If everyone here contributed $50,000, would that do it?

#23 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 23:19

Because you have no credibility Mr. Collins. :lol:

Thanks for your opinion.

#24 Jimages

Jimages

• 141 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:36

Could you please give specific examples of why in your opinion it isnt viable?

It's relying on your average tom dick or harry to invest money, into something on which he will see no return. If you found a few hundred people willing to do that, especially in times of global recession and redundancy, I'd take my hat off to you. To find the frankly millions needed to contribute just to keep the project afloat isn't just unrealistic it's fancible to delusional proportions.

I highly doubt a bid like this would be taken seriously by Honda, (and even if they entertained an interview there would be a heck of lot of sniggering behind closed doors). Honda have an obligation to make sure the team passes into an ownership that not only has the best chance to make it succeed but also to survive, people's jobs are at stake here.

That's just a little on why this would never get past the gates at Honda, let alone be taken seriously by the executives on the board.

I'd also have doubts on how a group like this could possibly run a grand prix team, it looks to me like it plans a democracy.

#25 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:34

Hang, no agreement with HMC, no money and two months to go to Melbourne - and then we're supposed to explain why it aint viable.

Wonder whether they even properly acquired the rights to the images used on the site for clearly commercial purposes, and whether those rights permit them to photoshop the rear wing.

#26 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:08

This is a poor imitation of the MyF1Dream project. :mad:

#27 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:04

Originally posted by Dooly Tilly
This is a poor imitation of the MyF1Dream project. :mad:

Poor imitation??? :confused:
That's a good one.

#28 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:05

Poor imitation??? :confused:
That's a good one.

Very poor. :down:

#29 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:19

It's not like some of the other sites I've seen (myf1dream or vmk racing no disrespect intended to the owner of those sites). I think it has potential to actually work.

If you're involved in this site, it may be better to be up front about that.. you may get better feedback. Your opening post makes it seem like you stumbled upon it but your replies to posts seem to suggest you're involved in some way.. so just be upfront about it.

#30 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:28

Originally posted by Jimages

It's relying on your average tom dick or harry to invest money, into something on which he will see no return. If you found a few hundred people willing to do that, especially in times of global recession and redundancy, I'd take my hat off to you. To find the frankly millions needed to contribute just to keep the project afloat isn't just unrealistic it's fancible to delusional proportions.

While I respect your point of view on the whole situation I want to let you know we are not looking for millions of "ordinary" people to take part in this opportunity, it's more like 200,000. The business model does not call on fans to finance the entire operation. That I agree with you would be unrealistic.

I'd also have doubts on how a group like this could possibly run a grand prix team,...

Yeah because the current group of "experts in their field with years of running a grand prix team" have done such a tremendous job. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your opinion and answer to my previous question.

#31 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:31

Originally posted by Dooly Tilly

Very poor. :down:

lol...ok thanks for your opinion.

#32 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 13:02

It's not very classy to use public forums for free advertising either.

#33 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 13:02

Yeah because the current group of "experts in their field with years of running a grand prix team" have done such a tremendous job.

Well, they certainly did better than you did in NASCAR: they won a race, you failed to make the grid. So what makes you think F1 is easier than NASCAR? And plse don't blame the economy for your failed NASCAR attempt else you sound just like Honda's bigwigs - who have hardly covered themselves with glory of late.

#34 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 13:04

Maybe the NASCAR thing fell through because he couldn't collect enough money from people on the internets.

#35 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 13:09

lol...ok thanks for your opinion.

Anytime, champ. :up:

#36 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,840 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 13:57

delusional. That's the most positive thing I can say about this.

#37 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:10

I like to drink beer, would you all be willing to pitch in to help me buy a brewery?

I also do a bit of club racing and wouldn't mind buying the Kawasaki MotoGP team. Web site coming shortly as soon as I'm done editing for spelling.

#38 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:17

Also it appears that your mailing address is that of a Jiffy Lube. Will this be the new team headquarters?

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:22

Dude, don't give away the sponsor before the launch.

Advertisement

#40 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:58

Maybe I'm going a little overboard here but I'm wide awake and it didn't take much Googling.

atown505 is John Collins, future owner of Honda F1.

http://www.google.co...Search&aq=f&oq=

The address on the web site appears to be either a Jiffy Lube or an empty lot. Not sure which one would be better.

http://maps.google.c...5551037007,,0,5

His Myspace, which has him living in Ohio, not Virginia.

http://myspace.com/atown505

I'm wondering if we should let Honda know of this misuse of their name and images?

#41 atown505

atown505

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 16:03

Seems that this thread has gotten off track. I simply asked opinions on the website and project (good or bad). If any user here has questions as to me personally then please feel free to PM me. I will be glad to provide you with information and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

#42 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 16:08

Best of luck with your purchase John. :up:

#43 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 16:28

I want to see the team on the grid for the 2009 season. I would like to hear some opinions regarding this site.

Apparently no you wouldn't, since as soon as anyone said anything not 100% positive you got sulky.

Not going to last long in the Piranha club with that attitude.

#44 Jimages

Jimages

• 141 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:30

Another thing that worries me is that the contributors will not make any profit...(how many businessmen/entrepreneurs would be willing to do that? Who's in F1 not to make a profit?) but will be eligible to stand for "president" of the team. How does that work?

Everybody is going to want to be in charge! No one is going to pull together as a team, and the whole thing would be lucky to last one week before disgruntled investors start reclaiming their wasted money back.

And many of the current experts in F1 have done a terrific job. Ron Dennis... need I speak more? Sir Frank Williams, need I speak more? Luca di Montzelemo, need I speak more? Bernie Ecclestone, nuff said. And these people have been involved since the 60's and are still going strong now, I'd call that pretty successful.

Flavio Britore made his bow in the late 80's into a field in which he knew nothing about, and look at him now, great job.

You failed at Nascar, yet you think you are going to better than all of these people? That is a delusion of grandiose, you could get sectioned for that.

And I don't care how many business models you've done, you could have made a spreadsheet on excel for all I care. You're looking for 200'000 investors willing to pour money into you for no return. I'd be impressed if you found 1. And you're still forgetting that there is a global recession, banks are in trouble and are being bailed out by governments, multinational car manufactures are making horrendous losses because they can't sell cars because no bugger can afford one.

And here's you convinced you're about to own a F1 team on the back of these people! In the nicest possible way it's bonkers!

Please, leave it to the professionals.

#45 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:49

Yeah because the current group of "experts in their field with years of running a grand prix team" have done such a tremendous job. :rolleyes:

By that reasoning Id be even more worried for someone attempting without those years of experience.

It took them a while to realise it but Honda had a plan to get back out of their hole with the hiring of Ross Brawn etc but the money just wasnt there in the end.

#46 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 20:58

The site is now offline.

#47 mattorgen

mattorgen

• 1,231 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 21:28

And?

#48 Dooly Tilly

Dooly Tilly

• 562 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 21:50

Originally posted by mattorgen
And?

Hi there. :wave:

#49 mattorgen

mattorgen

• 1,231 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 22:21

This is not so easy to understand. You craft a post to say that a website which is not well known is not online now. Your post is on a subject thread which is many months old. What is the reason for this now?