Magazine collections

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Elford68

Elford68

• 144 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 20:10

Hi

Does anyone here have magazines and/or book collections?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 20:53

Yes

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 21:17

Originally posted by David McKinney
Yes

... several.

#4 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 21:26

Yes. A big one, going back to the early 1900s, collected over 40 years, well organized, threatening to crowd me out of the office.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in a complete set of Hot Rod or Motor Trend, give me a shout. Also have Motor Klassik from the 1980s and 1990s for sale.

Frank
fbarrett@aol.com
303/237-0911 (U.S., Mountain Time)

#5 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 180 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 21:35

Yes, Argentinian ones and Motor Sport and several Road & Track, Cars and Drivers, and very etc.
Do you want anything?
Claudio.

#6 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 23:19

I gave more than 40 years of R&T and SCI/CandD to a museum a few years ago. I just ran out of space and I no longer subscribe to any US magazines. My book collection consists mainly of Porsche (about 200) and Ferrari (about 100) subjects, although I have a complete set of AQ. I also collect driver biographies. I now try to limit my purchases to limited edition, out of print and other collectible books unless the subject is of special interest to me. I completed my collection of Cavallino last yeaR.

I did manage to keep a complete set of Supercar Classics which I really cherish for its writing and illustrations.

Jack

#7 Joe Nix

Joe Nix

• 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 00:51

I've listed my own family's collections and added in a few from relatives and friends. All for sale as priced from Mid U.S.A.

http://users.mo-net....t/magazine.html

I've promised my son that his son, now 9 years old will get my collection to continue selling off my site. After all over half the magazines were subscriptions of his father and other grandfather. All in poly sleeves, standing upright in proper storage boxes in the same order as on my site which serves as my index. I list as much of the contents as I have time (slowed by re-reading) so they are searchable either via Google or a search engine on my site. Almost all sales garner interesting exchanges in the "small world" realm.

#8 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:00

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
I gave more than 40 years of R&T and SCI/CandD to a museum a few years ago. I just ran out of space and I no longer subscribe to any US magazines. My book collection consists mainly of Porsche (about 200) and Ferrari (about 100) subjects, although I have a complete set of AQ. I also collect driver biographies. I now try to limit my purchases to limited edition, out of print and other collectible books unless the subject is of special interest to me.

I did manage to keep a complete set of Supercar Classics which I really cherish for its writing and illustrations.

Jack

I have most of a collection of Supercar Classics and still have not found another magazine to compare!

#9 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:33

Originally posted by Elford68
Hi

Does anyone here have magazines and/or book collections?

Not anymore, years of Road & Track, Sports Car Graphic, Car Graphic(Japan), Sport Auto (France), Sport Auto ( Germany), Autocar,Motor,QuattroRuote....and God knows what else I picked up over the years.
Bought a fantastic shredder some time ago, and it has been fed well......................................
I have space to live and breath now !!!

Ripped out some pages I wanted to save though.

#10 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:14

Collection or Obsession !!!!!!!!!!??????????????,at this time,with out re counting over 15000 automotive magazines, R/T,Motor Trend, Circle Track ,Sports Car Graphic, Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod and Custom, Custom Rodder, Mustang pubications,Corvette publications,Chevy publications,Pontiac publications,Year books,Hot Rod (type) 'How to books', Auto/cartoon Mags, Dirt track, Drag racing, Show Car Specials,on and onand on, (married NO!!! )relationships-Yes.....BUT DON"T BRING THOSE BOOKS HERE,so the live in thier own 20FT ($2000.00 investment !!

#11 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:20

Originally posted by thunder427
Collection or Obsession !!!!!!!!!!??????????????,at this time,with out re counting over 15000 automotive magazines, R/T,Motor Trend, Circle Track ,Sports Car Graphic, Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod and Custom, Custom Rodder, Mustang pubications,Corvette publications,Chevy publications,Pontiac publications,Year books,Hot Rod (type) 'How to books', Auto/cartoon Mags, Dirt track, Drag racing, Show Car Specials,on and onand on, (married NO!!! )relationships-Yes.....BUT DON"T BRING THOSE BOOKS HERE,so the live in thier own 20FT ($2000.00 investment !!

Yeah try sell some special edition books.........the comments you get about asking for a decent price.
My motto now is... if ya don't want to pay for it ya is nevah gonna get it frum mi !!

#12 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:40

Macoran; I'm totally on your trip.....................regards427

#13 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:54

Go Figure !!,I had a real rare publication on Cobra's (Shelby not the snake )An associate (I thought he was a good friend) asked to borrow this publication,I was Pensive,not because I'm selfish,just I like my things to stay neat,not 'Dogeared',soooooooooo I said 'YES' but please return it in the next ten days,then I felt pushy because iasked him not to fold it open for 'copy purpose,he asured me all precations would be upheld,three hours later the phone rang.."how hard is it to get a copy of the book"??, me thinking 'GREAT" he liked it,ex[plained it was no longer in print, "OH" !! came the reply,"reason I ask was that somebody came into my office and 'bumped' the coffee table and 'flooded'the last 10-15 pages,they're OK, a little wrinkly,I dried them off as soon as I noticed".................I politely subjested he keep the book and store it where the 'Sun' does'nt shine............so now I'm out one quality book and a less than quality Friend..............'Thats Life'..... there is a lesson here ???....................regards427

#14 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:00

Guilty as charged: magazines, books, posters and photos going back to the mid-1950s.

My wife and kids say that my collection of "stuff" will outlast me by a day or two at most. I've gotta get it up to Watkins Glen soon!

#15 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:00

Holy cow, I would imagine that most of us fall into this category!

Speaking for myself, I have several hundred books and thousands of magazines. I have recently disposed of several hundred copies of various magazines, mainly because of space limitations. But I still have all Road & Tracks since Jan. 1956, all Sports Cars since 1967, every Racer, every On Track, most Formula/Racecars, every original Sports Car Quarterly (which became Sports Car Graphic) and many miscellaneous copies of Sports Cars Illustrated, On the Grid, and a bunch of long ago forgotten titles from the 60s. All tabloid copies of Competition Press/Autoweek. All Vintage Motorsport since 1992. All Motor Sport since its relaunch into a historic mag a number of years ago -- even through the infamous red cover days. I have all this on shelves everywhere plus unknown numbers of storage boxes. My wife wants me to get rid of 'em, but I can't!

I did peddle some volumes recently and if anyone wants to take the whole lot of Racers off my hands make me an offer. I need more shelf space.

Not to mention my photo archive of tens of thousands of slides of US racing since 1960 but that is another story!

Tom

#16 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:56

I have a small collection, and some of the old ones smell funny. My favorites are the 1983 Autosprints, that I starved myself to afford back in the day.

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:50

Is this a pissing contest? Great. Can I join in?

At a rough guess, I have two to three thousand 'comics' (magazines) going back to the forties, and several hundreds of books, mostly first-hand. Storage is becoming increasingly difficult, but at least I have no "missus problem" :p Still, my latest 'fad' is electronic newspapers, magazines and books. Takes up less space than a tea spoon, and is (ideally) fully searchable! :up:

#18 Carles Bosch

Carles Bosch

• 145 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:08

Magazines:
- 'L'Automobile' (french), from 1966 to 1983
- 'sport-auto' (french), from 1967 to 1986
- 'FORMULA' (spanish), from 1967 to 1973
- '4tiempos' (spanish), from october 1980 to august 1981 (all the issues)

Year-Books:
- 'L'année automobile': 1954, 1972 to 1983, 1997 & 2000
- 'AutoCourse': 1963 & 1964
- 'Libro del Año del Automovilismo Deportivo 4tiempos': 1981 to 1987 (all the issues)
- Martin Holmes' Rallying year-books: 1978 to 1983, 1987, 1993 to 1995
- Up to 32 year-books more (indy, trucks, formula 1, rallying...)

Other books:
- Ferrari: 11
- Porsche: 22
- Other marques: 31
- Rallying: 29
- F1 & GP: 13
- Driver's bios: 10
- Circuits & races: 15
- Other stuff auto related: 20

Carles.

#19 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 13:19

I have a reasonable book collection, but my Autosport collection was dispensed with some years ago, a decision I will eternally regret.

Advertisement

#20 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:13

Magzines? Yes, loads including a complete collection of Cavallino from no.1 to date, and Forza likewise. Also, more than 500 Ferrari books. Are we all mad?
Nathan

#21 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:28

Originally posted by COUGAR508
I have a reasonable book collection, but my Autosport collection was dispensed with some years ago, a decision I will eternally regret.

Yes, the must have magazine for the post 1950 period is naturally AUTOSPORT. Pre-1950 I would imagine it is MOTOR SPORT, naturally depending on an individuals racing interest, national interest, etc.

#22 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 618 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:36

It's the double run of Autosport, one bound and one loose for copying, which makes me wonder about myself some times. Still I went 'cold turkey' on January 1st 2009 and after 42 years never missing an issue I stopped buying Autosport -but I am planning on picking up the entire annual run on e-bay later.

#23 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 20:35

Hello from France,

I've got several magazines, lot in french and few in English or Italian.

Today I've got about :

8000 magazines since 1933 (ACTION AUTOMOBILE ET TOURISTIQUE) for the oldest one.
- ACTION AUTOMOBILE ET TOURISTIQUE
- L'AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE
- SPORT AUTO
- AUTO HEBDO
- RETROVISEUR
- AUTO RETRO
- LE FANAUTO
- AUTOMOBILIA
- ECHAPPEMENT
- AUTO PASSION
- CHAMPIONS
- VIRAGE AUTO
- COURSE AUTO AMAGAZINE
- SCRATCH
- FORMULE MAGAZINE
- GRAND PRIX INTERNATIONAL
- FLAT 6
- SPORTWAGEN
- WORLD IN RED
- AUTOMODELISME
- L'AUTOMOBILITE
- CLASSIC & RACING
- CLASSIC BRITISH AUTOMOBILE
- AUTOMOBILE HISTORIQUE
- RETRO COURSE
- LE MANS RACING
- LA VIE DE L'AUTO
- AUTO COURSE
- GAZOLINE
- MOTORSPORT (ENGLISH)
- AUTO SPRINT (ITALIAN)
- and many "small" name of french issues (death today)

850 books about :
- RACING (FORMULA 1 - LE MANS - RALLIES - AMERICAN RACES...
- MARKS (FERRARI - PORSCHE - JAGUAR - and differents French marks...
- RACE & CIRCUITS
- DRIVERS BIOGRAFIES
- and many other

1800 die-cast models about
- LE MANS (700)
- and road cars, trucks, rallies...

I'm not live in a castle :lol: but my wife accept my hobbies only in my special room...

And today I try to realize the dictionnary about ALL the drivers who take start in the 24 Hours of LE MANS.

So I've got a lot of job to finish to read, write, paint, dream....

#24 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 20:42

I have a small collection - Autosports and Motor Sports mainly.

#25 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 21:55

My obsession is collecting books about Cobras ,and magazines which contain articles about Cobras. Also magazines with articles about Ken Miles, Shelby, Macdonald, Bondurant etc.

#26 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 23:41

dear all,
I have a large library of magazines, motor racing programmes and books
My main interest is magazines mainly to use for research for various books I am writing
I have most NZ magazines from 1945 to current but missing a few early beaded wheels a few "Motorama" and a few "Motorman"
I have most English magazines the exception being "Light car an cycle car" need all from 1930 to 1946
"Autocar" from 1930 to 1935 and "Motor" from 1930 to 1935.
I have most Australian magazines 1930 to current including many club magazines
I have most American magazines from 1946 to 1965
I have most of the singapore/malaya magazines pre 1965
I have a full set of "Canada Track and Traffic"
I have a good run of South African "Car" magazine but missing all the early copies say pre 63
I also have good runs of club magazines ie VSCC, Bentley, Bugatti etc
I have virtually all Jaguar magazines of any significance

Probably what I am interested in most is the Motor sport club magazines and obviously the ones I havn't heard of or ever seen as yet on this note there is bloke currently in canada but he use to be in the USA name escapes me who published a booklet listing many 100's/1000's of motoring magazine titles publication dates locations etc
Some of my magazines ie the Singapore Motor Club magazine are only good quality double side photocopies that we have had bound and a couple of titles prewar australia art the official microfiche/microfilm copies
I was getting all the magazines bound but cost rose and in later years with the advent of the scanner it meant that item couldn't be scanned that well and in fact a couple of the australian sets we have collected sets of duplicate loose copies. Has anyone noticed that "Motorsport" is available on DVD claimed to be fully searchable has anyone had any experience with these
As a result of this I have huge quantities of spares ie Autocar and motor virtually complete runs 1945 to 1965
Australian motor sport virtually 2 complete spare sets etc etc
I would be interested contacting people as silly as me who have large libraries for interchange of articles or photocopies complete magazines or in fact trade of spare magazines
I am specifically after anything japanese pre 65 and anything Hong Kong and other canadian motor sport magazines pre 1963.
Then there is race programmes I have lots of Australian 1930 to 970 but many holes and would love to swap good double sided photocopies or spares for stuff I don't and once again I am more interested in the gestetner programme sheet for South Bowenfuls hillclimb 1963 than a Bathurst programme that was printed in the 1000's. Also like many events clubs published result sheets after.
All enquiries welcome
terry

If any one had been to peter richley's place "you know what I mean"

#27 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 00:20

Terry;

In the best TNF tradition of veering a thread off topic, how is progress
coming on the Aluminum XK120 book?

Michael

#28 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 00:29

F1racing Magazine and V8 Extra I used to collect consistently until they both became too stupid.

I have a variety of others motorsport related mags including Autocourses, Motorsports, Australia Motorsports, etc, but were never a regular montly/weekly buy.

#29 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 00:41

[i][/B]If any one had been to peter richley's place "you know what I mean" [/B]

Terry:

Now at the Collier collection, I am told.

Hope you are well; you visited here in Colorado years ago, and your pal sweet-talked me out of an Indianapolis 500 book by Fox, I think.

Frank

#30 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:57

The more books and magazines I buy, the more I realise I don't have, and to achieve any kind of reasonable collection doesn't make any kind of economic sense (since when did sense come into it).

Being Australian, I have decided to restrict myself to Australian publications, which quite frankly is still more than enough.

Has anyone added up the value (or what it cost, whichever is greater) of their collection, and worked out what kind of classic car they could have bought for the same money?

Has anyone built an extension onto their house just to store their book collection?

#31 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:39

Originally posted by RA Historian
I have recently disposed of several hundred copies of various magazines, ..
Tom

Thanks again Tom!

#32 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:24

I have been purchasing Road & Track since I was 15 years old (in 1967), and I now have a complete set going back to 1947, but it has simply become an absolute bore. I don't think it's worth buying any more, even to keep the set complete.

I have a large collection of titles. Like a few gents have mentioned, I was a big fan of Supercar Classics, have all but four early issues, I think.

#33 Elford68

Elford68

• 144 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:22

I have some L'Automobile, AutoHebdo and Turbo. I am trying to improve my colection

#34 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 13:13

timbo; good point regarding overal cost,consider inexcess of 15000 magazines at, lets say ,average,now and then price of $5.00 each= something like a '67 Big Block Corvette Roadster.....then there is the Books,the model collectable cars,the 5000 'Hot Wheels',( buy a couple each time I do the Grocery shopping) then ofcourse there's that 'BLOODY' big 20ft container that takes up two car spaces in my workshop,there is no know 'cure'...I think you stated, Quote;"the more books and magazines I buy,the more I realise I dont have..........Somebody Mentioned a..."pissing comp"....I like to think of like 'AA', talking about will help us to interact with other 'suffers' making way to 'trading-swapping-selling'...this is wonderful,Im feeling so much better.I feel like like I must go and put another 100 magazines in thier 'zip lock' bags.........t'rah427 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tweeting like a bird he exits stage left.

#35 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 15:58

I wouldn't call it a collection, but I discovered On Track in late 89 and have every issue since then until just before they ceased publication. I also discovered Racer when they published their first issue, and since thenI have all but 4 or 5 I think.

#36 Elford68

Elford68

• 144 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 20:16

Hi

Does anyone have IndyCar magazines?

#37 malvi

malvi

• 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 22:40

Originally posted by Elford68
Hi

Does anyone have IndyCar magazines?

I have (almost) all ever issued. PM me if you have something specific to ask.

#38 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:20

OK, here goes.

After 35 years of collecting, I now have 2,557 books -- mainly photographic, all kinds and eras of racing. I prefer detailed works on specific race cars. Total cost so far: $82,249.96. Estimated "Collector's Value": $233,390. I keep a data base of my collection, that's how I know these things. Magazines -- lots. No data base at the moment. Several thousand I'm sure.

Speaking of data bases, I have been working on a comprehensive listing of all automotive books and magazines, with estimated values. The book table currently has 50,120 entries, the magazine list has 16,895 entries, one for each year that a title was published. I have also been acquiring and restoring images of covers, with a total of 57,852 files at the moment. If people have questions or want to see a cover image, I'll see if I can help out. I am embarrassingly behind in the entry of current books, having just entered books published in August 2005.

Here's a magazine question -- what was the last issue of the USA magazine "Car Life"? The latest I know of is October 1970. Any one know of any later issues?

#39 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:14

If you had used the search function you would have found quite a number of threads on magazines and the collecting thereof.

This one Collecting Old Racing Magazines for Research has lists of peoples collections.

Advertisement

#40 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 14:34

Originally posted by helioseism
After 35 years of collecting, I now have 2,557 books -- mainly photographic, all kinds and eras of racing. I prefer detailed works on specific race cars. Total cost so far: $82,249.96. Estimated "Collector's Value": $233,390. I keep a data base of my collection, that's how I know these things. Magazines -- lots. No data base at the moment. Several thousand I'm sure.

Speaking of data bases, I have been working on a comprehensive listing of all automotive books and magazines, with estimated values. The book table currently has 50,120 entries, the magazine list has 16,895 entries, one for each year that a title was published. I have also been acquiring and restoring images of covers, with a total of 57,852 files at the moment. If people have questions or want to see a cover image, I'll see if I can help out. I am embarrassingly behind in the entry of current books, having just entered books published in August 2005.

OK, contest over, we have a winner. :lol:
Tom

#41 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 13:09

RA Historian,I'm in total agreement with you sentiment, HELIOSEISM is the 'GURU'........I'm ringing the 'Paper Pulp' experts immediatly ,I do know when I'm beaten !!!!!...........But before the truck gets here, I have one question, in todays world, 'HELIOSEISM', how did you ever find the time???????????????????????????....regards427.."hang on, I think thats the door bell" !!!!

#42 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 19:09

Well, I'm more of a "dufus" than a "guru". And the time comes in very small pieces like about 1 hour per day over a looooooong period of time.

#43 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 20:44

Originally posted by helioseism
Here's a magazine question -- what was the last issue of the USA magazine "Car Life"? The latest I know of is October 1970. Any one know of any later issues?

That's the latest issue I have.

Frank

#44 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:03

I knew Peter Richley and his wife Joan and their daughter, they used to have space #1 at Beaulieu every yr, their house was stuffed and told him to call the inpectors to shore up the house!!, He sold all in one deal to th Colliers, I saw the stuff when I was there, Peter and I traded back and forth for yrs, He was a great guy and will be missed. I have 1200 car bks and many runs of mags also, must be sick.

#45 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,357 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:51

:wave:
Thinking back a few years ago we did have a Thread on magazine collections. .....Search BB will help I have the complete Grand Prix No1 -10 . On four Wheels not a complete missing Volume 1 only.
Australian Classic Car No 1 -86 them gave up.

Plus lots of other not in complete order. Total Number unknown..

#46 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:59

Originally posted by eldougo
... Australian Classic Car No 1 -86 them gave up...

When did Ray start writing for them? :lol:

I also started early with Australian Classic Car but gave up. It just seems to miss something.

#47 Black Star

Black Star

• 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 18:45

Kudos for your collection, helioseism!

I'm searching for a MotorSport issue that was published in around 2002-2005; It had the 90'91' F1 Ferrari on the cover and I think the car was featured in the main article- something about "...Ferrari's 20 years of bump and slump...".

Does someone have this issue in his possession and is willing to sell it?

If so, Please send a PM.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Yigal.

#48 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,357 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:28

Yep that name has keep popping up other the years. :up:

#49 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 71 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:45

The only magazine I actively collect is Classic and Sportscar. I have them bound up to 1996, the rest as loose copies waiting to be bound.

But somehow I seem to have collected some other magazines unintentionally.

I have complete run of Octane which I never intended to keep after reading, must find someone to take them off my hands!

My in-laws gave me a subscription to Auto Aficionado, which seems to have ceased to exist. The same with the Classic Automobile Register subscription they gave me.

I have a few bound years of Motor Sport from 1950 -1960

Other oddities I have are:

Auto Sportsman, which I can't quite understand their numbering system. The four issues I have are June 1953 - September 1953 which somehow is Vol 1 Number 1 to Vol 2 Number 6! These are also bound and really quite interesting. Anyone know if there were more issues of this magazine?

Another run I have is a magazine called Auto Speed And Sport, from Jan 1952 - Feb 1953. Right now they are all loose, but at some stage I would like to have them bound too.

Matt

#50 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 00:42

Friends:

It would take too much time to detail the entire library here, but a couple of years ago we counted 2,400 books and about 30,000 magazines, not to mention press releases, programs, photographs, and other ephemera from about 1900 onward. Complete sets of Automobile Year, Autocourse, Road & Track, Sports Car Illustrated, and many other magazines, including Porsche Panorama, Christophorus (I specialize in Porsche), and SCCA's Sports Car (started in 1944). Speed and Motor Sport from pre-war to date. The AutoWeek set starts in about 1963 and is great for finding race results, but old issues are hard to find because most folks just tossed them, and they were printed on rotten, cheap paper. Just sold a complete set of Hot Rod and have a complete set of Motor Trend that I'd part with. I'm lucky enough to have a 1,200-sq ft office in my backyard, and it's almost full. Does anyone have any extra 1950s and 1960s back issues of Motor Racing (magazine of the British Racing & Sports Car Club)? A friend is looking for them. I've been collecting since the mid-1960s and encourage friends to use the library for research but encourage them to use the copy machine here.

Am now in the midst of the annual "shelf shuffle", whereby I move stuff around to accommodate new material. It sure provides lots of good exercise!

Frank