Photo

Glen Dix, starter extrordinaire

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 21:59

Glen Dix, the well known motorsport starter has been honored on the Australia day list for services to motorsport and the community.
Glen is 74 and has been around as a starter [though officialy retired he still does the occasional special event] for a very long time.
Personally I can remember him for almost 50 years in so many facets of motorsport.
He flagged at Rowley Pk speedway in the 60s and 70s where he suffered a broken kneecap after being hit by an errant Threequarter midget. Reputedly he stayed at the track to watch the Supermodified main event of the evening before being transported to hospital. In the early 70s he was famous for hanging on the nerfbar of Bill Wigzells 'Suddenly' supermod on victory laps. [Which were fairly regular]
The Sporting Car Club of SA ran mudsprints in my familys bottom paddock where I can remember Glen officiating and after the event cleaning up rubbish etc.
He has spent a lot of time at Mallala working with Clem Smith doing all the maintaenance including building tyre walls and the like.he still sells Mallala souveniers at the track now.
He is ofcourse best remembered for the GP years in his yellow jacket waving the finishing flag from the edge of the track in his oh so distictive style.
Congratulations Glen and well deserved.

Advertisement

#2 Team Result

Team Result

• 268 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 23:51

Yes, congratulations, Glen Dix!
Certainly Australia's most visible motor sport official! :clap:

#3 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:12

Unstinting, unselfish (to a fault!) and unassuming: one of life's great gentlemen.
Bravo, Glen, and so richly deserved!
.............................................................. Posted Image :clap:
Geoff & Chris Chennells.

#4 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:22

Glen, is truely one of natures gentlemen.

Bravo Glen.

#5 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:03

Glen, is truely one of natures gentlemen.

Indeed.

Also the BEST starter I ever saw. After getting used to Glen's very very reliable 10 sec signal followed 10 seconds later by the flag fall it came as a major shock when first going to interstate meetings and getting all sorts of completely random flag dropping procedures.

and after the event cleaning up rubbish etc

and still doing it at Mallala these days

#6 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:22

Well done,part of that wonderful crew at Mallala.Maybe next year for Clem :up:

#7 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 19:07

I recall this chap from the Australian GPs we use to watch at some rudiculous time on a Sunday morning. Who can forget...he was more entertaining than most of the races itself!! One friend once made the comment..."Dix is the personification of hyper activity". :)

#8 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:39

I found this pic of Glen waving the chequer at myself and David Mahon at AIR mid 80sPosted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#9 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,356 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:03

Found a pic of the man on the grid at AIR, 1975.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#10 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,357 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 21:28

Here's Glen at Mallala on the weekend just gone - it was wonderful to finally meet him!
Pictured with Ron Lambert.

Posted Image

#11 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,356 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:14

Looks the same as years ago.He would still blow away in a good southerly.