Photo

Kyalami Ranch..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roger39

Roger39

• 124 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:40

Kyalami Ranch still exsists as a conference venue but "back in the day" it seems all the GP drivers used to stay together at the ranch. I've seen a few photos of drivers relaxing by the pool with a few "bathing beauties", baking in the African sun...there must be a story or two to come out of that place..anybody got one?

Advertisement

#2 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 17:43

Please allow me to quote freely from Greg Mills’ excellent book SPRINGBOK SERIES:

HENRI PESCAROLO: I recall the fantastic ambiance of the Kyalami Ranch…South Africa was one of those places, which we did not visit for the race only. We always stayed on for a while. Racing in South Africa was always like a holiday for me.

UTE BLIGNAUT (wife of the late Alex B.) The main room at Kyalami ranch was a thatched affair. There were gumpole beams at ceiling height right across the room, equally spaced. When the drivers had enough to drink and were feeling daring, they would jump up and step from beam to beam. If they had fallen…well it does not bear thinking about.

(Above antics was probably inspired by the fact that they were in wild Africa)

BRIAN REDMAN: One evening there was a party at the Kyalami ranch. Various objects not intended for water find their way into the swimming pool. After Mario retired to his straw-topped rondavel sleeping quarters, Regazzoni decides to enliven the evening by tossing a lighted newspapers through the door. In theory, this should have been fun. Unfortunately, Clay chose the wrong rondavel; the occupant who had nothing to do with the race is not amused. The constabulary arrives. With considerable difficulty Clay is smuggled out of Johannesburg the following day.

DEREK BELL: We use to have great fun at the Kyalami Ranch. After a few glasses in the evening, we were inevitably up on the stage for a dance for the Kyalami “lovelies”. One Friday morning we were sitting around the pool when there were no practice and one of our number (a nameless Swedish driver) had “pulled” one of the Italian air-stewardesses. A nameless Bavarian driver and I decided to investigate. He was staying in the main part of the hotel and we decided to irrigate the room with a fire-hose. The Bavarian hold the hose while I got ready to pull back the outside door and curtains. We were all a little surprised to find the Italian astride the Swede when we did. The Kyalami Ranch was started by a KLM pilot in the 1960s, was used as stopover by three airlines. The combination of bikini-clad air-hostesses and oversexed racing drivers would appear to have had their inevitable consequences.

JOHN WATSON: It was a friendly atmosphere. In 1982 (the FISA/DRIVERS War)…At the Kyalami ranch, Balestre was bombarded with bread rolls launched at him by the wifves and girl friends of the drivers. Many were thrown with intent to make a point and most were more accurate than he cared for.

TONY DRON: I was sitting with some muscular and tanned locals like Paddy Driver. And there was I, the skinny Dron. I asked how do they get like that? “You could always do it like Derek Bell, by doing nothing at all”.

MURRAY WALKER: In those days we did not travel as much. Thus it was special to be there for that reason alone. But it was especially for our Englishmen, given the historical links with the country. It was very laid back time, and I always associate South Africa with having a really good time.

#3 Roger39

Roger39

• 124 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:59

Classic :) I must try and get my hands on a copy of that book. It sounds like there was a lot of fun to be had there..thanx Hieronymus

#4 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:43

I was once lucky enough to be taken there for lunch. It was a marvellous experience and I certainly remember the bikini clad stewardesses. Alas it was three weeks before the GP so didn't meet any racing people.

#5 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 13:33

As lowly mechanics we never stayed there, in 76 and 77 we were at a seperate hotel, I remember we stopped for breakfast at a roadside cafe on the edge some township, we were the only light skinned in line for those bacon/egg butties!

#6 Roger39

Roger39

• 124 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 13:51

Originally posted by eurocardoc
As lowly mechanics we never stayed there, in 76 and 77 we were at a seperate hotel, I remember we stopped for breakfast at a roadside cafe on the edge some township, we were the only light skinned in line for those bacon/egg butties!

Do you remember what the hotel's name was?

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 19:15

Originally posted by Tony Lethbridge
I was once lucky enough to be taken there for lunch. It was a marvellous experience and I certainly remember the bikini clad stewardesses. Alas it was three weeks before the GP so didn't meet any racing people.

Racing people? There may have been racing people? With the bikini clad stews, who would have been looking? They could have been there, Tony, but you just did not see them!;)
Tom

#8 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 20:22

Originally posted by Tony Lethbridge

Just imagine the racing people would have been there - farewell bikini clad stewardesses!

#9 Eddie Knipe

Eddie Knipe

• 184 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 13:49

Can anyone tell me if the famous / infamous Kyalami Ranch still exists today and what the contact details are ... needed for research into a documentary in the pipeline in Wales. Any information would be much appreciated.

#10 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 14:24

Yep, still there: Kyalami Ranch Hotel. Google it for "pictures" and there are some racing era pics right in front of you. It has a website of course.