67 replies to this topic

#1 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:22

I posted this in the "UK racing venues; the definitive list" thread:

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I think the island of Ireland might deserve a thread of its own. It has many mysterious - to me anyway - lost tracks, especially hillclimbs, which are often difficult to identify from partial descriptions in the press.

I'd like to ask if anyone can give a precise route for Ballinascorney? I have found a brief description of it as "The road from Glenasmole to Balinascorney Gap", but where in Glenasmole?

In return, here's a description of a track used (AFAIK) precisely once, in Cork, on the evening of June 8th 1940, for a motorcycle race. Perhaps vaguely inspired by Phoenix Park, it was dominated by a long straight, Centre Park Road, with the rest of it being formed by Victoria Road and Boggy Road (today known as Monahan's Road). I presume the straight link road between Monahan's Rd and Centre Park Rd formed the other end, but perhaps someone with more local knowledge could confirm or disprove that? This area is built on the old Cork racecourse and the Irish Ford Assembly plant was somewhere nearby.

http://maps.google.c...FB_enGB211GB211

Advertisement

#2 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:36

Richard,

FWIW the regulations for the May 1947 Hill climb at Ballinascorney Gap say "The event will be run over a course about 3/4 mile long on the upper part of Ballinascorney Gap, Co. Dublin, starting above the Glenasmole turn"

Hope that helps,

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:54

From the 1962 Blue Book:

Speed Events:
Cairncastle - hillclimb (Still used)
Craigantlet - hillclimb (Still used)
Kirkistown - sprint (Still used for sprints plus circuit racing)
Syonfin - hillclimb (1.5 miles S. of Fintona, between Fintona & Fivemiletown - don't think this is still in use)

Pretty sure Bishopscourt race circuit was in use back then - currently it is used for trackdays and rallies.

From the 1972 Blue Book:

Race Circuits:
Bishopscourt - as above
Kirkistown - as above

Speed Events:
Ballarena - hillclimb (Map ref 1/695324 - no longer in use)
Craigantlet - as above
Ormeau Park - sprint (In park on Ormeau Road opposite Candahar Street, Belfast - no longer in use)
Spelga Pass - hillclimb (Part of the Kilheel to Hiltown Road near Glenaueagh Bridge - no longer in use?)

From the 1978 Blue Book:

Race Circuits:
Kirkistown - also used for sprints

Speed Events:
Aghadowey - Rallycross, rallies & sprints (in use up to the end of 2008)
Barnetts Park - hillclimb (in a Belfast Park at junction of Malone Road & Upper Malone Road - no longer used)
Boyd Motodrome - sprint (5 miless from Belfast(!) - no longer in use)
Cairncastle - as above
Castle Grounds - Sprint (In Bangor, Co. Down - no longer in use)
Clinty Quarry - hillclimb (3 miles from Ballymena(!) - no longer in use)
Craigahulliar Quarry - hillclimb (2 miles from Portrush(!) - no longer in use)
Craigantlet - as above
Eagles Rock - hillclimb (still in use)
Gorton Glen - hillclimb (Scenic road 1 mile S-E of Gortin - no longer in use)
Miskelly's Quarry - hillclimb (Ballygowan, Co. Down - no longer in use)
Ormeau Park - as above
Rossahilly Airfield - sprint (5 miles outside Enniskillen on the Kesh Road - no longer in use)
Spelga Pass - as above
Syonfin - as above
Wallace Park - sprint (1 mile from Lisburn - no longer in use)

:wave:

#4 Richard Young

Richard Young

• 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:33

ooooh ! There's lots of stuff here.
First a bit of flesh on some of the bones already unearthed.
Syonfin is definitely out of commission, as is a hill at Gortin Glen used once or twice by Omagh MC, who also ran Syonfin.
Bishopscourt was first used in either 62 or 63 - from (hazy) memory. It is now primarily a 'bike circuit and hosts several high profile events. However the current format has a 1.85 mile lap where the original was a 3 miler with a very l-o-o-o-o-n-g straight. Sprints have been run on the current circuit (it reopened in '93-ish after the RAF left) but none recently.
Bellarena hill is still in use, although nowadays it's known as Eagles Rock. An NI Championship event is held annually run by Coleraine MC. There was another hill in the area at a place inappropriately named Downhill about 3 miles from the 'Rock' but it was last run in the very early fifties.
Spelga is also active again having been closed for several years for repair following a landslide. As yet single seaters aren't allowed, but sports racers/saloons are.
After Spelga closed, another hill at Gortahork near Laurencetown was brought in. This is still active.
Other current NI hills are Ben Bradagh at Dungiven, Co.Derry; Croft Road, Holywood; Garron Point on the Co.Antrim coast near Carnlough. Gone, however, is Glendun (in the same area).
The Belfast 'park' events were never really sprints, but slaloms involving a 'stop in a box' finish and severe penalties for putting a wheel off the black stuff. As an activity this has died. Other venues included Wallace Park in Lisburn and Barnett's Park in Belfast, also Castle Park in Bangor which you mention.
Quarry sprinting which accounts for places like Clinty Quarry, Ballygowan Quarry and at least half a dozen others involved loose surfaces and, I think, disappeared when existing regulations didn't quite fit the activity !
Single venue rallies have mainly taken their place although there are a couple of such events still running south of the border.
Talking of which, I think Glenasmole is in north Co.Wicklow, an area stuffed full of old hills. Names like Altidore spring to mind along with Calary (Old Long Hill and New Long Hill) and, over the county line in Co.Dublin, Cruagh, Kilakee and Mount Venus. And I know there are dozens I've missed/never heard of.
The whole Irish hill climb scene is a movable feast with venues appearing/changing/being replaced quite regularly.
Indeed, there were a couple of years in the late 80s when £150 was on offer to anybody who broke an existing hill record.
All was well the first year, but in the second a number of start and finish lines moved mysteriously, creating what were effectively new venues. No records were therefore broken ! Not intentional of course, simply circumstance !

#5 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:55

Athy
Ballybunion
Ballyclare
Briscoe Bray
Carrowdore
Clady
Cluntoe
Coleraine
Cookstown
Cork
Cranfield
Dunboyne
Dundalk
Dundrod
Kells
Killalane
Long Kesh
Mid-Antrim
Monaghan
Mondello Park
Newtownards
Nutt's Corner
Phoenix Park
Rathdrum
Skerries
Tandragee
The Curragh
Tullyallen
Waterford Raceway
Wicklow

Beach circuits:
Magilligan Strand, Dublin
Rosbeigh Strand, Dublin
Rosslare Strand, Dublin
Velvet Strand, Dublin

#6 Danny Skehan

Danny Skehan

• 68 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 13:32

Dún Laoghaire

One-off street race mid 70s

Tallaght and Bray in 40/50s

#7 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 13:53

Ballyjamesduff street races .
howth hillclimb (50s)
bray promenade sprint (50s)
a sprint was held in the mid 50s near the start of the Fern hill hillclimb stepaside co Dublin
laragh hillclimb co wicklow
glenealey hillclimb co wicklow
rathoath sprint co meath (70S)

#8 Danny Skehan

Danny Skehan

• 68 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 14:04

Excellent thread - Howth! You learn something new everyday :stoned:

#9 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 14:10

danny i have sent you a PM

#10 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 14:12

if we consider karts there are a load more venues

#11 Richard Young

Richard Young

• 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 14:15

Oh...And Bangor street circuit (30s) followed by Donaghadee road course from a similar time.
Also airfield sprint at Meghaberry. Circuit races (airfield) at Long Kesh and Cranfield (Newry MC) in the 50s plus Newtownards Airfield.
Sprint course in St Columb's Park, Derry. Another in an industrial estate on the outskirts of Derry and one at what is now the City of Derry Airport.
And we've hardly started yet

#12 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 15:56

Newtownards, should really be the Ards TT circuit and Ards Airfield. Have we got Knockagh hillclimb, County Antrim and the Limerick street circuit. Actually if anyone looks up Green Dust by Brendan Lynch this is all much easier really.
SS

#13 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 16:09

Athea
Bush
Faugheen
Walderstown

& later this year Armoy :up:

#14 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 17:52

Again surprise at no mention of Turvey Ave. sprint, Cruagh hill climb, St. Angelo airport Enniskillen, Kinsale road race, and the Cavan sprint/hillclimb. Does anyone have any photos of the Skerries hillclimb? Saw a couple of photos once. Seemed it started at the harbour and from there??

#15 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 17:59

Skerries Hillclimb , the town of skerries is flat, slight incline out the dublin road .KILLARNEY MC ran a sprint at Farranfore , Kerry airport ,

#16 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 18:07

cavan sprint , I was at it once and IIRC it went downhill for a distance before a short uphill section .
Tim Healey Pass , used twice 66/67 ,
OTHER HILLS
dUNGARVAN (WATERFORD )
bALLYLANEEN (ditto)
bagenalstown h/climb
moat of ardscull sprint
park sprint 1903 main road
park sprint 1949
malahide kart street race
dunlaoghaire kart street race mid 60s , track was bumpy , only time I saw a kart chassis break in two behind the drivers seat .
more later

#17 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 19:15

Mays cattle market Belfast summer 1962 (where the Hilton Hotel is now), Paddy Hopkirk raced a go kart. My late mother was the timekeeper, I was there.
SS

#18 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 22:11

And then there was Berry's Brae Hillclimb, just outside Monaghan Town.

Ran once, in 1967 if I remember correctly.

The RIAC were not impressed by the abilities of the organisers, as perhaps illustrated by the following story, and it never ran again.

My driver, who is well-known to Richard Y, set off on his first practice run, whereupon all went quiet.

'Orrible premonitions - no-one seemed to know what was what.

Then, coasting silently down the hill, there appeared the star of the 900cc saloon class.

Very quiet, and as white as a sheet.

"Met a bus" he said . . . . . . . . . . . .

Rosemary Smith in the works Sunbeam Stiletto, Reg No SZI 1, won the class - I think we were 2nd, ahead of Donald McEneaney in his Mantzel DKW.

#19 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 22:31

Very interesting, a Mantzel DKW, I remember Donals blue and white junior, was it built using many Mantzel bits , he also experimented wit aero tweeks on the car. Doreen Frazer wife of Austen put the family midget off into the scenery.

Advertisement

#20 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 23:18

The Cavan sprint, if I remember correctly was held on a Saturday and a hill climb on Sunday. The hill climb finished going down hill!

There was also a sprint held at Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo in the late 70s. I think it was used only once as it had a kink right after the finish. Mel Nolan scared himself witless on his one and only run.

#21 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 23:28

I think my time with Google Earth has just been expanded.

If they are located they will be presented!

Henry :wave:

#22 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:58

Just to throw this out. The Kinsale road circuit is referred to as the Ardcloyne circuit in the programme. The Hillsborough club ran St. Angelo. As I was looking though some old programmes I noticed on one Mondello programme from 1977 that I had written St. Angelo, April 22, Aghadowey, April 29, and May 1 Kirkistown. Don't remember but I must have been a busy boy back then.

#23 Richard Young

Richard Young

• 85 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:02

We seem to have a great many 'bike only' circuits in here, in which case can I add another ? Bike races were held in Lurgan Park - now the venue for an annual stage rally extravaganza - during the 60s and possibly earlier.
As far as sprint/hill venues are concerned, how about Castlewellan from 1903 ? A dead straight but very steep hill which forms part of the main road to Downpatrick.
I don't think Google Earth will be much help until they get all of Ireland into high res. At present it's all fuzzy, although maybe if one pays lots of money........
We might also consider some of the hills 'out west' such as Corkscrew and Ballyalban - both near Ballyvaughan on the southern shore of Galway Bay, or Lisdoonvarna nearby. There's one near Ennis, Co.Clare too although I can't remember the name.
And how about Farnanes in Cork, plus, of course, Knockalla, Glengesh, St Patricks Trian and one or two others in Donegal. Then there's Inistioge in Kilkenny - now sadly disused following the tragic death of Dick Bailey there several years ago - , Millvale (Carrick on Suir ?) and somehow I managed to forget Enniskerry.
Larry....I seem to recall two way competing traffic at Berry's Brae as well as the bus incident !
There was also a sprint venue near Birr and another on the Fota estate in Cork. A hill at Laragh, Co.Wicklow was used until about ten years ago too, while there's also a two mile hill near Mitchellstown which was part of the Irish Championship for a year or two in '99 or thereabouts. There's a Limerick hill too.
Back to the present and the kart track near Loughrea - Tynagh ? - is also used for sprints, as in one near Athboy. There was also one run by the Boyne Valley club in the sixties.
In the north, have we mentioned Aghadowey yet ? Still active as an occasional sprint venue and for bike races, although it's in poor repair these days.

#24 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:11

carrigrohane sprint (cork)
farmers cross h/c cork
curlew hill near boyle co roscommon 1950 by connacht mc
phoenix park 1991 , imrc ran a sprint (drag race ) between the phoenix monument and mountjoy cross .

#25 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:27

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
Ballyjamesduff street races .

There are a few photos of the Ballyjamesduff street races
here

Plus Mondello, & Dun Laoire

#26 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:37

h climbs
long womans grave , IIRC run once by mgcc, it rained and had to be abandoned .
glen of aherlow
dungarvan
fort mountain

#27 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:32

The first event organised by the 500MRCI was the Downhill hillclimb, Co Londonderry, 1949.

And of course there was the Dublin Bay Grand Prix, covered at length by Autosport in the late '70s...

#28 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 13:46

Cluntoe, an airfield circuit near Coagh Co Tyrone, was used once in '61 or '62.

I remember Sid/Jim Diggory brought a "knobbly" Lister and a Formula 1 Lotus 18 which Malcolm Templeton drove

#29 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 13:49

Posted Image

John Pingle with his Cooper-Oldsmobile on the start line at Calary in about 1965.

Not a great picture but there are probably not too many Calary photographs around.....

Fred

#30 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 15:37

fred i have sent you a pm

#31 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 21:11

Stumbled across this in a pile of old photos. Maurice Bryan on his 249 Rudge dated 6/5/71. At the top ready to go back down. Everybody had to wait at the top for the last man up and there was an en masse return. Somewhat orderly if I remember.

Posted Image[/IMG]

#32 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 23:48

CRUAGH, I was talking to Maurice earlier today, I am typing this about 2 miles from the top of Cruagh .

#33 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:42

Glad to see he's still in the land of the living. Give him my best regards. Its been long, long time since I last spoke to him. Avoca Weavers near Kilmacanogue it was. I think he was lining up a hip replacement (open to correction on that). This (very bad) shot is the Norton Manx and myself on Cruagh. 1975. Loved that hill. Never went overly fast but I did love the hill. Typing two miles from Cruagh?? Hope its Johnny Foxes!!

Posted Image[/IMG]

#34 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:24

maurice had hip replaced last year , he is still an eco warrior opposing various planning applications etc .

#35 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 13:04

Is this the facility mentioned in Cork?

Posted Image

#36 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 23:09

I keep thinking "Only the Irish could have a hillclimb called "Downhill" :rotfl:

I also like "Farmer's Cross" - was he always cross or only after a bunch of hooligans racing up his back road made so much noise that it stopped his hens laying and his cows giving milk?  ;)

I'll get my coat.

#37 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:21

Originally posted by D-Type
I keep thinking "Only the Irish could have a hillclimb called "Downhill" :rotfl:

And the award for sensitivity goes to... :rolleyes:

Perhaps a read of the quote under you sig is in order.

Mo

#38 Richard Young

Richard Young

• 85 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:32

Awaiting a climbdown....... :)

#39 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:58

Originally posted by D-Type

I also like "Farmer's Cross" - was he always cross or only after a bunch of hooligans racing up his back road made so much noise that it stopped his hens laying and his cows giving milk?  ;)

I'll get my coat.

Downhill is the name of the beach that it took place near by the way.

Also there is a temporary Go Kart track set up in a car park in Portrush once a year if I remember correctly.

Advertisement

#40 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:12

Originally posted by Hoofhearted
Stumbled across this in a pile of old photos. Maurice Bryan on his 249 Rudge dated 6/5/71. At the top ready to go back down. Everybody had to wait at the top for the last man up and there was an en masse return. Somewhat orderly if I remember.

Posted Image[/IMG]

Cruagh,a great hill.Had a win there in the early '80s on of all things an ISDT Replica MZ250.Remember a guy called Dowling on a very well thrashed 500 CCM.He was impressive.Remember Maurice and many of the other lads,great times,good people.
Also a hillclimb down at Ballinspittle (of moving statues fame)Don't know if it was used more than the once though)
HW

#41 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 18:03

Originally posted by MoMurray

And the award for sensitivity goes to... :rolleyes:

Perhaps a read of the quote under you sig is in order.

Mo

Oh sorry, I have always found the Irish to have a self-deprecating sense of humour.

I do apologise if I have offended anybody. I genuinely thought I was laughing with you and not at you. Hence the peppering of the post with smilies.

#42 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 19:29

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D-Type
Oh sorry, I have always found the Irish to have a self-deprecating sense of humour.

I do apologise if I have offended anybody. I genuinely thought I was laughing with you and not at you. Hence the peppering of the post with smilies.
[/QUOTE

Ach Mo - go easy on the poor fellah... sure he's only English.

And D-type - don't worry yourself. I'm Irish meself, and still getting over the delicious thought of them having a Grand Prix in Dublin Bay.

Now - if only dear Alberto were still with us... them D50s could walk a race like that, what with them buoyancy tanks on either side.

I'll get me lifejacket, and join you shortly...

:wave: ;)

#43 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 23:19

Nobody's yet mentioned the Bangor Hillclimbs, run in Central Avenue from 1903 to 1912.

First 3 years were for motorcycles only, and after that there was also a car class.

Some promoted by the Motor Cycle Union of Ireland Ulster Centre, and some by the Belfast & Dist Motor Club.

Annual event except in 1911, when there were 3 run, so a total of 12 in all.

Start was right outside my front door at No 64 (not built until 1909!) and ran straight for 760 yards to Cedar Mount (still there).

If you call in, Richard, I'll show you the route, details and a couple of photos!

#44 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:08

I am delighted to see, from an early post, that Craigantlet is still used. For cars? I recall it from the '50s and 60s, and would love to see any pix from then if anyone has one. Used to walk to it up over the hill from Holywood. Last time I recall being on the hill itself was as a student on me 150cc Vespa GS when about half-way up (not a competition day, of course) the silencer fell off. Sounded great after that!

#45 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 14:24

Originally posted by Mal9444
I am delighted to see, from an early post, that Craigantlet is still used. For cars? I recall it from the '50s and 60s, and would love to see any pix from then if anyone has one. Used to walk to it up over the hill from Holywood. Last time I recall being on the hill itself was as a student on me 150cc Vespa GS when about half-way up (not a competition day, of course) the silencer fell off. Sounded great after that!

Posted Image
Above: Chris Merrick gets the 4 litre Gould on its way.

Posted Image
Above: Tom New turns the 2 litre Pilbeam into Howe

Posted Image
Above: a GTD40 turns into Hall

Posted Image
Above: Adam Fleetwood powers the Gould out of Hadley

Posted Image
Above: Willem Toet hammers over Mays Cross in the Pilbeam V8

Not exactly the '50s or '60s! :

:wave:

#46 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 15:09

Yum- Yum! :clap:

#47 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 15:09

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I posted this in the "UK racing venues; the definitive list" thread:

I'd like to ask if anyone can give a precise route for Ballinascorney? I have found a brief description of it as "The road from Glenasmole to Balinascorney Gap", but where in Glenasmole?

In return, here's a description of a track used (AFAIK) precisely once, in Cork, on the evening of June 8th 1940, for a motorcycle race. Perhaps vaguely inspired by Phoenix Park, it was dominated by a long straight, Centre Park Road, with the rest of it being formed by Victoria Road and Boggy Road (today known as Monahan's Road). I presume the straight link road between Monahan's Rd and Centre Park Rd formed the other end, but perhaps someone with more local knowledge could confirm or disprove that? This area is built on the old Cork racecourse and the Irish Ford Assembly plant was somewhere nearby.

http://maps.google.c...FB_enGB211GB211

I'd say your layout would be the only possible one. The current road layout won't have changed much since the 1920's as they're lined with rather large trees. The Ford assembly plant (as well as Dunlops) was located on the south side of Centre Park Road. Both my grandfathers worked on nearby Mill Road in the National Flour Mills.

Just to the East of the layout is the Cork Show Grounds where I watched stock car racing a couple of times sometime in the late '90's.

#48 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 15:10

Originally posted by HistoricMustang
Is this the facility mentioned in Cork?

Posted Image

That's Vernon Mount which is a Motocross circuit. I'm pretty sure some international events have been held there.

#49 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 15:44

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
CRUAGH, I was talking to Maurice earlier today, I am typing this about 2 miles from the top of Cruagh .

Hi Edward,
The 1st Cruagh I did I slept under the picnic table halfway up the hill on the left.Sleeping bag inside a bin liner.Bit cold!Rode my BSA trail bike over from England.You could say I was on a limited budget.
No-one seems to have mentioned Farnanes hillclimb near Cork.That was the one I wanted to do,but it was no longer in use when I started climbing.
HW

#50 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:42

I did a quick check through the posts and didn't see a mention of Enniskerry hill climb. A hill climb that actually finished uphill!