Rolls-Royce in India

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:25

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Last year I was working on a documentary about the story of Rolls-Royce in India. At one stage I was in Kanpur, UP, filming a 1912 Ghost and I was shown the exterior of an old garage (couldn't see inside as the door was piled high with junk) in which I was told there was another Ghost with an Alpine Eagle engine - and that the car had 'won the Spanish Grand Prix' in ?1910. Does anyone know anything about that car? Or a 'Spanish Grand Prix' at that time?

(Please forgive the plug, but if anyone is interested the film mentioned above is called 'The Maharajas' Motor Car' and it will be shown on BBC Four at 9pm on Sunday 8 March 2009.)

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,870 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:33

http://forums.autosp...182#post1385182

:wave:

#3 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:43

Thank you Vitesse - chapter and verse! java script:smilie(':wave:')

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 18:39

Hi Paddy, thanks for the DVD. For fellow TNFers with an interest in vintage and PVT road cars I would recommend the programme very highly, LOVELY stuff, as I expect from this film-maker... We have worked together on and off since the '80s and in the footage real 'feel' and affection for these machines and the people come through ...

DCN

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 20:27

For those of us in the "Former Colonies", is there a DVD available and where?
Many thanks, David b

#6 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:05

The driver who came third in the Spanish event was Eric Platford, who worked for R-R all his life and was a test driver for them. I have often wondered what he was doing driving in the event.

#7 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:54

Originally posted by David Birchall
Many thanks, David b

Bump!

#8 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:33

do you want the chassis #

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:19

Originally posted by David Birchall
Many thanks, David b

In the absence of informed response from Paddy himself - I doubt it at the moment David. Don't take my mention of a DVD as indication one is presently for sale. 'Mine' was merely a sample preview DVD "for the trade".

DCN

#10 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 16:20

Thanks Doug, I have sent an email to Mr Mark.

(Chassis number not required).... :blush:

#11 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:04

Thanks for your kind words Doug! Our Jim Clark, Graham Hill and JYS films will also be out soon on BBC Four, I 'll keep you posted with dates: I hope they might be of interest to TNFers.

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 18:49

Just a reminder that this programme airs on BBC4 this evening, at 21.00.

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:49

An excellent programme, and fascinating to see the number of Rolls-Royces that survive in the sub-continent in both immaculate and neglected condition. No patronising or talking down to the audience, and beatifully crafted. Living proof that quality television is not dead.

If you missed it, try to catch it when repeated.
I'm looking forward to more from Mark Stewart Productions.

#14 NPP

NPP

• 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:21

Originally posted by Alan Cox
An excellent programme, and fascinating to see the number of Rolls-Royces that survive in the sub-continent in both immaculate and neglected condition. No patronising or talking down to the audience, and beatifully crafted. Living proof that quality television is not dead.

If you missed it, try to catch it when repeated.
I'm looking forward to more from Mark Stewart Productions.

ooh, I missed it. Is there already a date for a rerun, and are there dates available for the Clark, Hill and JYS films mentioned? Thanks,

NPP

#15 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:30

As stated, no dates available yet for the Hill, JYS and brand new Jim Clark programme. Keep your eyes peeled for a repeat of this R-R programme, which I thought was excellent ; nicely filmed, very informative, good script, and very nice voiceover by Sam West. For the life of me I couldn't suss who was doing it, so waited for the end credits, good voice, great pronounciation, nicely paced. Less is more, if you understand me? Well done Patrick Mark & MSP.
PS.wouldn't we all like to come across something like those cars that are now in a VERY delapidated state in some garage somewhere??

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:33

Originally posted by Gary C
good script, and very nice voiceover by Sam West.

Hear, hear, Gary. I, too, thought the voice over was calm and measured with no histrionics, and Sam West an excellent choice.

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:38

Don't suppose anyone stayed on to watch the next programme, Ford's Dagenham Dream?
Some nice footage for TNF's many Anita Taylor fans :up:

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:41

Yes, David. Quite a bit of interview time given to the former Team Lotus driver's sister, as well as film of her Anglia racing days. Plus interviews with Barry Lee, who still seems to be in good form.

#19 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:56

Just want to echo the praise for 'The Maharaja's Motor Car' - a really excellent production, catch it if you can. And must confess I now covet that Phantom II coupe - what a splendid motor car.

Advertisement

#20 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:17

I'm not an impartial witness, but what the hell! I thought the Maharajah programme was a real television gem - a visual feast. Well done Paddy. I just loved the notion of cutting down one's Rolls-Royce with a Jeep-type body "to carry one's cricket team"...also the often forgotten fact that the Maharajahs bought the Rolls-Royces while India's "colonial masters" could not afford to. There's one for the Guardian readers.

DCN

#21 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:40

Originally posted by Odseybod
Just want to echo the praise for 'The Maharaja's Motor Car' - a really excellent production, catch it if you can. And must confess I now covet that Phantom II coupe - what a splendid motor car.

Agree absolutely, about as good as this kind of thing can be, and all the better without a 'celebrity' presenter, trivialising the subject and waving his arms around, something that the BBC seem to feel is an essential ingredient for programmes they make themselves.

#22 JohnB

JohnB

• 69 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:55

Originally posted by NPP

ooh, I missed it. Is there already a date for a rerun, and are there dates available for the Clark, Hill and JYS films mentioned? Thanks,

NPP

I missed it too, but it's repeated tonight (actually early Tuesday morning) :-
BBC 4, Tue Mar 10 2009, 01:30 - 02:25

#23 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:19

Originally posted by Doug Nye
...also the often forgotten fact that the Maharajahs bought the Rolls-Royces while India's "colonial masters" could not afford to. There's one for the Guardian readers.

DCN

Some confusion here. It was the Daily Telegraph which was said to carry the, perhaps apocryphal, headline "Fog in Channel Continent cut off". Guardian readers are quite capable of working out that colonial civil servants, be they ever so senior, were less wealthy than dynastic rulers of vast tracts of the sub-continent. ;)

Excellent programme.

#24 Rockford

Rockford

• 421 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 13:23

If you're in the UK you can also "catch-up" online here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...Royce_in_India/

If you're not in the UK then I think a UK based proxy server would be in order - not that I know how to use one! Perhaps there's a supreme techie lurking on this board somewhere?

#25 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 15:35

Thank you everyone for kind remarks about the R-R program, I'm glad you enjoyed it. We've had such a positive reaction today which is v gratifying, hopefully the Beeb will want some more of this sort of thing.

The film is on i-player at the moment:

Or repeated on BBC Four tomorrow:
10 Mar 2009, 01:30, BBC Four

Apart from that, if you have the HD service it's on again tonight:
09 Mar 2009, 22:00, BBC HD
or 15 Mar 2009, 22:55, BBC HD

Our next three BBC docs, ' Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion', 'Graham Hill: Driven' and 'Jackie Stewart: The Flying Scot' should be on over Easter weekend - but this is TBC.

#26 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 16:11

Originally posted by Patrick Mark
hopefully the Beeb will want some more of this sort of thing.

If they don't, they have no right to be in charge of the nation's public broadcasting company and should all be brought before a firing squad and shot without delay.

P.S. Good news about your Clark/Hill/Stewart documentaries. I'm sure all here will be keeping their fingers crossed.

#27 NPP

NPP

• 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 23:11

Originally posted by Patrick Mark
Thank you everyone for kind remarks about the R-R program, I'm glad you enjoyed it. We've had such a positive reaction today which is v gratifying, hopefully the Beeb will want some more of this sort of thing.

The film is on i-player at the moment:

Or repeated on BBC Four tomorrow:
10 Mar 2009, 01:30, BBC Four

Apart from that, if you have the HD service it's on again tonight:
09 Mar 2009, 22:00, BBC HD
or 15 Mar 2009, 22:55, BBC HD

Our next three BBC docs, ' Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion', 'Graham Hill: Driven' and 'Jackie Stewart: The Flying Scot' should be on over Easter weekend - but this is TBC.

Thank you very much, I've programmed my DVD machine to record it and will watch it tomorrow after work. Is there any chance of your alerting us in due time before the other documentaries are on?

#28 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 17:20

Yes, NPP, will definitely let everyone know in good time for Clark, Hill and Stewart. I think it will probably be Easter weekend (10-13 April) but this is TBC...

#29 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:00

I'm going to the preview in London of the Jim Clark programme. If any firm TX date is announced, I will definitely post it on here.

#30 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:49

Looks like the Clar/Hill/Stewart programmes WILL tranmsmit over the Easter weekend, nothing concrete yet, though. As I've said in its' own thread, the new Jim Clark programme is a triumph, some fabulous stuff in it.

#31 NPP

NPP

• 125 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:14

Thanks, I have meanwhile watched, and enjoyed, the RR film and am looking forward to these! :up:

#32 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 16:44

Lads, an appeal for a copy of this programme. I have said that I would do a copy of this for a fellow forum member and when I went to do it yesterday, somehow it has disappeared from my Sky+ box! Does anyone out there have a copy? Please feel free to PM or e-mail me

#33 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 15:43

A 'heads-up' to advise that this excellent programme is being shown again in the UK on Thursday 30th June on BBC4 at 9pm

#34 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 20:54

A 'heads-up' to advise that this excellent programme is being shown again in the UK on Thursday 30th June on BBC4 at 9pm

Aaargh! And I'll be in a tent somewhere near Goodwood :mad: