Photo

Picture identification please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 penske1414

penske1414

• 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:45

i know these were taken at michigan international but i have nothing else. sometime in the middle or early 80's (THE PONTIAC FIERO). thanks for any assistance.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 157 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 19:26

!984?

Pete Halesmer (sp?)?

#3 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 00:10

I'm no expert, but certainly looks like Pete Halsmer from here...

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

• 6,548 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:40

Based on the V6 Pontiac Fieros in the background of the first photo it has to be from 1986 or '87.

#5 jm70

jm70

• 143 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 14:52

Second photo driver looks like EFR to me.

#6 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 15:26

Originally posted by B Squared
"Based on the V6 Pontiac Fieros in the background of the first photo it has to be from 1986 or '87." Jonathon

The Fiero was Pace Car in 1984. I'm 99.9% sure that the person ID'ed as Peter Halsmer is incorrect. See attached photo. Pete is a the left at MIS in 1983 with his Arciero/ Penske PC10.

Posted Image
photo:B² Design

Looking at the front suspension, I'm unconvinced that this is an IndyCar. Super Vee was running with CART at that time. I don't see the regulars from the Horton Safety Team (Steve Edwards, Neal Carter, Skip Richmond, Dave Hollander, Greg Passauer, Dr. Steve Olvey) in these shots either. I could be mistaken though.

Brian

You may be right. If you look at the (uncaptioned) picture in its original context, in the book "Speed" by Chet Jezierski (P163), there is clearly a VW patch on the driver's uniform. Also the name embroidery doesn't really look like "Pete Halsmer". The front tyres look very small too.

Thanks

Nigel

#7 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 16:28

Originally posted by B Squared
Nigel - Thanks with your reference to "Speed". I can make out "John" as the definitive first name on the driver trapped in the car. The last name appears to be "Barringer" or a close derivative of that name. I have only a few Super Vee entry lists from that year and I don't see any name that matches this exactly or even remotely. I am convinced that it is a Super Vee chassis. Help on nailing down the driver ID would be appreciated. I think we can dismiss Peter Halsmer as a person in this photo. I was working on track for this event, but I don't recall this particular shunt.

Brian

There was a John Barringer driving a Lola T324 in 1977 (no Michigan race listed that year). '77 seems to be the last year I find him in the Supervee listings.
http://www.teamdan.c...rv/77svrob.html

In the '83 and '84 listings at Michigan, there is no Barringer listed either.
http://www.teamdan.c...rv/83svrob.html
http://www.teamdan.c...rv/84svrob.html

#8 penske1414

penske1414

• 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:25

gentlemen......you are the creme della creme. i got these two pictures at the same time and just assumed(don't say it) that they were related. it is entirely possible that they are not related. it never even crossed my mind that these could be two different incidents. i apologize for the confusion on that. it looks like some decent progress was made on the shunt photo, any ideas on the one that(appears) to be at michigan? will

#9 Dinger

Dinger

• 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:31

My son-in-law stumbled upon this old thread and mentioned it to my daughter. She in turn asked me to look at it and thought maybe I'd want to clarify some of the information it contains.

Here goes. The first post contains two photos. The first, containing the Fiero, may well be at MIS. I don't know but it's unrelated to the second photo in that post. That photo comes from the USAC (not CART) Mini Indy race for Super Vees in September of 1978 at the New Jersey State Fairgrounds in Trenton. It was the last weekend of racing at that historic old warhorse of a race track. The driver is indeed John Barringer (me). The photo shows a bunch of firemen standing around while Tom Milner (yelling), now of Prototype Technology Group, and someone I believe was a USAC race steward try to free me from the wreckage.

It was the only race I entered in 1978. Think I should have stayed home?;)

Finally, the absence of the Horton Safety folks in the photo of the wreck is because they weren't around in 1978 as far as I can recall. Plus, I don't think they ever really did USAC races, just CART & Champ Car, though I could be wrong about that. At the time of my wreck track safety for USAC races was generally entrusted to local fire & rescue squads. It left something to be desired.

I feel a little silly resurrecting a 2 year old thread but I thought maybe some of the original posters might like to learn the particulars of that "mystery photo". And it's not like I have never felt silly before.

John

Edited by Dinger, 02 March 2011 - 02:31.

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:49

I feel a little silly resurrecting a 2 year old thread but I thought maybe some of the original posters might like to learn the particulars of that "mystery photo". And it's not like I have never felt silly before.

John

Drivers of the day always welcome in my book! You guys are why we're here.

And.... you answered the mystery.... so entry justified without a modicum of silliness!

Certainly remember you, #77, Royales and Lolas, sun visor and all.... and have several unscanned pics of you from the day.

Did you not drive for Wilbur? (in the Royale?)

And/or BSR? (in the T-324 or 326?)

#11 Dinger

Dinger

• 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:55

Drivers of the day always welcome in my book! You guys are why we're here.

And.... you answered the mystery.... so entry justified without a modicum of silliness!

Certainly remember you, #77, Royales and Lolas, sun visor and all.... and have several unscanned pics of you from the day.

Did you not drive for Wilbur? (in the Royale?)

And/or BSR? (in the T-324 or 326?)

Hi, E1pix!

Just stopped back in again. Someone remembers???;)

Yeah, never liked dark tinted shields. I preferred a clear one and a visor. I still do that. Ball caps instead of sunglasses. And, of course, there's the bald spot to consider.

I drove for BSR in the Royales, RP-14, RP-18, RP-18A & RP-19. Bill Scott was the Royale importer at the time. The cars were very difficult to make go fast. Essentially, Bill himself and Bobby Rahal were the only guys who ever succeeded.

That started to change when Rory Byrne was hired at Royale. The cars began to improve significantly. The only car I ever drove that was "all Rory" was the RP-24 Formula Ford. It was quite fast and easy to drive. ( I see why Schumacher had such an easy time of it at Ferrari.)

At some point we switched to Lolas in Super Vee. As I recall, the change coincided with Bill getting into Formula Atlantic with a pair of Lola T-360s for EFR (Penthouse) and Howdy Holmes (Jiffy Mix). A pair of T-324s for Howdy and me (and a third for Bill Neuhoff?) were part of that package.

After a season or two in the Lola I bought the car from Bill and updated it to current (T-326, then T-328) specs. I continued to race out of the BSR shops but more or less as a solo effort. Mark Hutchins, who had been my mechanic at BSR, stayed with the car too. We raced under the Bill Scott Racing School banner as I was one of the instructors there. Basically, it paid for the use of the shop.

That's the Lola again in the photo, poor thing! I had updated it one last time to the new water-cooled specs. (I think mine was the only Lola in North America that was updated to a wasser pumper.) The Ralts and Argos looked too formidable, I guess. That was its first and only appearance in that configuration. Too bad. It showed a hell of a lot of promise and I had some major tweaks in the works.

I never drove for Wilbur but, of course, knew him well. He used to use the BSR shops any time there was a string of races back east. Great guy!

John

Edited by Dinger, 25 March 2011 - 03:48.