George O'Dell

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 DTM-History

DTM-History

• 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:15

Hello !!!

I´m searching for Infos about the 1977-Sidecar-World-Champion George O'Dell.
It´s really hard to find some good Informations about him, so I would try to ask you.

I only know a few Things about him:

- lived (born ??? / died ???) in Hemel Hempstead (GB)

- He died in March 1981 in a house fire (at the age of 35 // Born 1946 ???)

- First run at the TT in 1970.

- Second Place at the TT in 1974 (500cc)

- Wins first leg of the TT in 1977.

- Crash ad broken leg at the Training of the TT 1978.

- Wins the Sidecar-World-Championship without a victory in 1977.

- Runs at the TT from 1970 to 1977.

- I´ve found him in the Point-Tables of the World-Championships from 1972 to 1980 (from 1972 - 1974 just with his TT-results).

Does anyone know something about him ???

When was he born (and where ???), When is he died (and where ???), was he married, any children ???
You see, every Information can help me. It would be very nice if someone has some information (or some Links).

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:33

Hi, Just did a bit of rudimentary Googling and found zilch, which is surprising. I know that he also raced solo bikes at various times, not though with the same level of success as with the outfits. From memory, he died in either his or his estranged wife's house in, I think, some sort of seige situation. As you have mentioned, this involved a house fire. Hemel local rag archive ?

#3 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,660 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:46

Russell is right about the way George died I think. It wasn't a simple house fire and, if you ' search BB' TNF, there's a post with a little more detail.

I lived not far from Hemel in the 1970s and remember George getting a fair bit of coverage in the local paper (Hemel Gazette?), particularly in his championship year. They may have archives that you can access.

Not being very strong on bike racing history, I can't help much except to suggest that, on the Motorcycle nostalgia threads, I bet there'll be loads of knowledgeable contributors. How about copying the thread there, or asking Twinny to shift it?

John

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:47

His life dates as I have noted them [no source available]:
b. 13 November 1945
d. 13 February 1981

EDIT: The death date is wrong (see following posts).

#5 jeff sayle

jeff sayle

• 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:57

Originally posted by ReWind
b. 13 November 1945
d. 13 February 1981

I think the 13 Feb date is not correct,i was in England at the time and have this thought that he died the same day or day after Mike Hailwood,which was March 1981.

#6 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 19:00

The Classic Racer of July/August 1995 has an article on O'Dell titled "O'Dell Tragedyof a World Champion". It has the full history of his career and his unfortunate demise. The end came in 1977 when a domestic arguement with his second wife of six months. "He followed her to the Hemel Hempsted home of her foster parents armed with a shotgun. His wife was shot in the leg and her father in the back. In a seige lasting over six hours, George soaked the house and himself in paint thinners. Police negotiators succeeded in getting the injured parties away from the house and to hospital but Grorge O'Dell died in the fire which engulfed the house shortly afterward".

If you require more info I can scan the article and email it to you.

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 19:11

Originally posted by Hoofhearted
The Classic Racer of July/August 1995 has an article on O'Dell titled "O'Dell Tragedyof a World Champion". It has the full history of his career and his unfortunate demise. The end came in 1977 when a domestic arguement with his second wife of six months. "He followed her to the Hemel Hempsted home of her foster parents armed with a shotgun. His wife was shot in the leg and her father in the back. In a seige lasting over six hours, George soaked the house and himself in paint thinners. Police negotiators succeeded in getting the injured parties away from the house and to hospital but Grorge O'Dell died in the fire which engulfed the house shortly afterward".

Must have been '81 though. As has been said, it happened around the time of Hailwood's death. I'm reasonably certain that O'Dell was thought to have been adversely affected bt this, clearly though others issues were also involved.

#8 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 19:20

I found a notice in "MOTORSPORT aktuell" dated 01 April 1981 which said he died "am vorletzten Montag" which would suggest Monday, 23 March 1981 (the same day as Mike Hailwood).

Obviously the February date is wrong. Sorry!

#9 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:38

Originally posted by jeff sayle

I think the 13 Feb date is not correct,i was in England at the time and have this thought that he died the same day or day after Mike Hailwood,which was March 1981.

Def in March 1981, I think your right Jeff same week as Hailwood & my brother in law, thats why it sticks in my mind. : :cry:

#10 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:47

Try to get hold of his book SIDECAR CHAMPIONSHIP by George O'Dell and Ian Beacham (Hamlyn)(ISBN0-600-38304-3) as this will give you all of the answers except for his last days. My understanding of his reasons behind his actions on that last day was that his racing career had been brought to a halt by two things, the tremendous progress of the opposition using far more advanced machines, and that he had to retire on doctors orders because of a legacy of back injuries. Another crash might have crippled him. The subsequent depression and breakdown of his marriage seemed to have tipped him over the edge. :(

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:52

Originally posted by picblanc

Def in March 1981, I think your right Jeff same week as Hailwood & my brother in law, thats why it sticks in my mind. : :cry:

It was on the same day as Mike Hailwood died, Monday March 23rd 1981, a really black day for my family too.

#12 jeff sayle

jeff sayle

• 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:52

Why it sticks in my mind, we were on our way back from the Argentine GP, on a stop over, we heard about Mike and when we arrive in London we heard about George Odell.

#13 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:58

Apologies. In the article it was '81 not '77 as I wrote. I suffer from CRS (can't remember ****)

#14 DTM-History

DTM-History

• 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 21:05

Originally posted by Hoofhearted

This would be very nice.

I read first time about him, when I´m searching for Motorcycle-World-Champions without victory. I couldn´t imagine that this is so interesting.

P.S.: I googled this Forum some times and I´ve ever found some good information I was searching for. A very good adress for Motorsport-History !!! :clap: :up:

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 21:06

He didn't seem to be a very happy soul, even in the good times. I heard him interviewed on the radio shortly after he won his world title, and he spent a large part of the interview bitterly ranting about the lack of media coverage of sidecar racing compared to F1 and James Hunt in particular. This at a time when all motor sport received pretty dismal media coverage compared to the 'favoured' sports.

#16 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 21:08

It was on the same day as Mike Hailwood died, Monday March 23rd 1981, a really black day for my family too.

Reports in "The Times" on-line archive confirm that O'Dell died on Monday 23rd March 1981.

#17 Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted

• 100 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 21:15

Originally posted by DTM-History

This would be very nice.

I read first time about him, when I´m searching for Motorcycle-World-Champions without victory. I couldn´t imagine that this is so interesting.

P.S.: I googled this Forum some times and I´ve ever found some good information I was searching for. A very good adress for Motorsport-History !!! :clap: :up:

If you e-mail me at noisynorton@netscape.com I will scan the article and send it to you

#18 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 21:24

A few of my pics of George,
1975 with Alan Gosling
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.
1976 Alan Gosling again.
Posted Image
1977 with Kenny Arthur I think, on the ex Rolf Biland outfit, that was badly damaged at its first? GP forcing George to use his 1976 outfit for much of the season including the last race at Silverstone.
Posted Image
1977 at Silverstone on his way to his World Championship with Cliff Holland
Posted Image
1978 Silverstone with Cliff Holland in the chair.
Posted Image

#19 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 21:28

Originally posted by ReWind
b. 13 November 1945

That is the date of birth given in the GRO death index.

Advertisement

#20 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:09

A deeply-troubled soul he may have been, but extremely driven. I can recall from articles at the time that in times of adversity he would NEVER give in, stayed awake for days once getting back on the grid for a race from a giant practice malady involving a blowup and a crash, overnight drives etc. Seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, along the lines of either an inferiority complex, or bunker mentality, throughout his career, but to win the world title in those days against major opposition, was a fabulous effort, and I used to enjoy reading about his exploits leading up to his title win. Hard as nails, and never gave an inch. Sad that it all spiralled away from him at the end, but here we are over 30 years later, and we haven't forgotten him. :up:

#21 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:22

Yes, and as I was reminded yesterday by a photo caption 'He brought the world sidecar title back to Britain after 24 years'. If he moaned about the lack of recogntion he received - pretty much justified.

#22 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:40

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
Yes, and as I was reminded yesterday by a photo caption 'He brought the world sidecar title back to Britain after 24 years'. If he moaned about the lack of recogntion he received - pretty much justified.

Hi All,
Great pilot,much underated.I 1st noticed him when he was racing an outfit with 2 Pre-unit Triumph twin engines mounted side by side.It looked a bit dangerous to me,but sidecar racers are 'different'.(re. Dennis Keen and 2x Konig motors side by side)
HW

#23 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 13:14

Broke his leg in a crash at Laguna Seca USA 1977. (interview in "Motor" 1977)

Picture thanks to JanAW.

Posted Image

#24 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 17:47

Originally posted by HEMEYLA
Broke his leg in a crash at Laguna Seca USA 1977. (interview in "Motor" 1977)

Picture thanks to JanAW.

Posted Image

Great picture that, must be in practice (so is mine!) as it pi&&ed down on the day!!

#25 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 19:46

From the “Champion Book of Motorcycle Road Racing Champions”, published early in 1977:

O’Dell, George W.

Began racing sidecars in club events in the mid 1960s with early successes at Brands Hatch, Crystal Palace, Thruxton, etc. By 1972 George was featuring in ACU British Championship tables, and won his first two leaderboard TT replicas. He has competed in IoM every year since then, his Konig-powered outfit in 1974 finishing 2nd behind Luthringshauser. George (31) and his then passengers, Bill Boldison and Alan Gosling, also excelled in home internationals and in several continental grands prix. In 1975 he was the first outfit to lap Silverstone at over 100mph, but lost the lap record to the Boret brothers later in the same John Player meeting. His present chairman is Ken Arthur (ex Bill Crook’s camp) and their 1977 mount will be the unique Seymaz chassis which has just taken Rolf Biland to fifth place in the World Championships, to be powered by an RG 500 Suzuki, or an OW31 Yamaha engine.

_ _ _

From the “Motor Cycle News Yearbook 1977/78”, published early in 1978

George O’Dell, Cliff Holland, World Sidecar Champions

The First British sidecar world champion for almost a quarter of a century, George O’Dell achieved it without racing the outfit he bought especially for the championship series.

O’Dell, from Hemel Hempstead, Herts, went to a lot of trouble to get the ex-Rolf Biland Seymaz outfit for 1977 but through varying troubles nearly all his points were scored on a year-old Windle framed, Yamaha-powered spare machine.

Thirty-three-year-old O’Dell lost his hopes of adding the British championship when he crashed and badly broke his leg while practising for a Laguna Seca demonstration race in September.

He started racing in the mid-sixties and by 1972 was featuring in the British championship. He continued to progress and has competed in every Isle of Man TT since then. In 1975 he became the first sidecar driver to lap Silverstone at over 100mph, although his record only lasted for one more race when it was broken by Gerry Boret.

This was his first all-out onslaught on the world championship and he made it with passengers Kenny Arthur and Cliff Holland, who took over at the Dutch TT in June.

_ _ _

From the “Motocourse 1981-82” annual, published late in 1981

Appreciation of George O’Dell by Trevor Ireson

I first met George at Cadwell Park in 1967. It was my third meeting and he was just starting as well. Dale Ward won the race, George was second and I was third. We pretty much moved on together, soon doing national and then international meetings.

When George won the World Championship in 1977, I was also doing some Grands Prix. Not many people realise that George knew he could win the championship by consistency as he told me early in the year after he’d scored quite a few points in the first Grand Prix: “D’you know, if I keep going, I’m going to win this. All the others seem to go so fast and then break down” he said. He had the chance to get a tuned engine, but chose to stay with his standard motor for reliability.

We all had a good ‘do’ when George won. It didn’t change him very much. He still stayed the same bloke and I used to see quite a lot of him at weekends in the off-season. He ordered a new chassis from me not long before he died so he had obviously intended to carry on racing.

_ _ _

From “The Grand Prix Riders”, published in 1990

George O’Dell

You never saw George O’Dell without a broad smile on his face. An extrovert character from a working-class Hemel Hempstead background, George appeared perfectly equipped to withstand the ups and downs of life and always to come up smiling.

That appearances can be cruelly deceptive was proved yet again when George took his own life in March 1981. Depressed by his lack of recent racing success and by the break-up of his marriage, the final straw for George came when he heard on the radio that Mike Hailwood had been fatally injured in a road accident.

George came up through the ranks of club racing, riding BSA-powered outfits. He switched to Konig engines and scored his first major success in 1974 when he took second place in the Isle of Man TT - a World Championship round in those days.

Progress was steady and the big break came in 1975 when Eric May, who had a welding business in Windsor, bought George a Yamaha engine. Proving he could use the extra power George set the first-ever 100 mph lap by a sidecar at Silverstone - and two years later he was the first man on three wheels to lap the Isle of Man at over the ‘ton’.

Eric helped him to buy an ex-Biland Seymaz chassis for the 1977 season and using that O’Dell, partnered by Kenny Arthur and Cliff Holland, won the world title. But, strange to say, George O’Dell is the only motor cycle World Champion never to have won a Grand Prix.

_ _ _

#26 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 20:45

Originally posted by subh

Eric helped him to buy an ex-Biland Seymaz chassis for the 1977 season and using that O’Dell, partnered by Kenny Arthur and Cliff Holland, won the world title. But, strange to say, George O’Dell is the only motor cycle World Champion never to have won a Gran Prix.

_ _ _ [/B]

Great slueth work, subh. The TNF info line working at it's best. As an aside, title winners who haven't won a GP in their title year have since included Jean-Louis Tournadre (1982 250) and Emilio Alzamora (1999 125). And for what it's worth, I consider their title wins to have been undiminished by the fact, it's just sensible, professional implementation of the rules and points system. Hats off to all three. :clap:

#27 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 21:06

1977 with Kenny Arthur I think, on the ex Rolf Biland outfit, that was badly damaged at its first? GP forcing George to use his 1976 outfit for much of the season including the last race at Silverstone.

It was in practice from the CSSR (6th) GP in Brno that George had a crash which totaly wrecked his Seymaz/Yamaha outfit.

So he had to race with his old Windle/Yamaha that was used also in the first two GP in Austria and Germany.

The third GP in France he used the Seymaz first, that was also his last GP with Kenny Arthur.

In the Dutch GP he raced with Cliff Holland the first time, in the second lap when leading the race, a frame tube broke what demolished the back wheel, no result in that race. Biland won the race and was leading the championship with 3 wins.

The last 3 GP O'Dell/Holland scored 3 times a 3'rd place and Biland/Williams could'nt get good results.

That's the way O'Dell/Arthur/Holland getting their worldchampion title in 1977.

#28 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 21:27

Originally posted by GD66
As an aside, title winners who haven't won a GP in their title year have since included Jean-Louis Tournadre (1982 250)

Jean-Louis won the French Grand Prix at Nogaro on his title year, and contrary to common belief, that race, unlike the 500cc Grand Prix, was not boycotted by all the top riders , but only by Tony Mang . Tournadre won that race from Jean-François Baldé and a certain member of this forum from Australia was third, and I don't think he would like to be considered as "weak opposition" ;)

#29 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 21:32

I did a little sidecar racing when I was insane...oops I mean young. I was the passenger and after several races I managed to fall out of the thing at high speed (on a straightaway, but thats a different story). Anyway after returning to the pits my bemused driver announced "there goes George O'Dells record". When I asked as to what he meant he advised that Goerge had "lost" seven passengers in one season and I was number eight for this driver! I sure wish he had told me that before he invited me to race with him :rolleyes:

Mo

#30 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 21:35

For those who care, we had discussed Jean-Louis' title and that French GP issue a while ago

http://forums.autosp...415#post1991415

#31 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 23:10

I remember a race at Brands, must have been 1978 because it was the year after they had won their title I think. The start was a push-start and George made a good getaway but Cliff slipped or missed his hand hold. He held on by his fingertips for a short while then let go and was promptly hit by several following outfits. I believe he suffered some broken ribs as a result... Anyone remember that?

And yes, I remember that British GP at Silverstone in the p***ing rain when he won the world title - what a brilliant day. I was totally obsessed by sidecars in those days and still love watching them now. Still have a cuttings book in the loft with reports of the sidecar races at that time. But George O'Dell was definitely my hero, along with Barry Sheene and Walter Villa...

#32 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:56

Originally posted by philippe7

Jean-Louis won the French Grand Prix at Nogaro on his title year, and contrary to common belief, that race, unlike the 500cc Grand Prix, was not boycotted by all the top riders , but only by Tony Mang . Tournadre won that race from Jean-François Baldé and a certain member of this forum from Australia was third, and I don't think he would like to be considered as "weak opposition" ;)

Ok. Got it now Philippe. I've given myself an uppercut, and several short rips to the torso. Apparently I've been living under a misapprehension for years, but it's now corrected. As I recall, winning the 250 title was the worst thing that could have happened for JLT's career, didn't gell with the works bikes and just faded away. A shame, as he appeared, in spite of his size, to be an intelligent and skilful racer.

#33 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:41

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
I remember a race at Brands, must have been 1978 because it was the year after they had won their title I think. The start was a push-start and George made a good getaway but Cliff slipped or missed his hand hold. He held on by his fingertips for a short while then let go and was promptly hit by several following outfits. I believe he suffered some broken ribs as a result... Anyone remember that?

And yes, I remember that British GP at Silverstone in the p***ing rain when he won the world title - what a brilliant day. I was totally obsessed by sidecars in those days and still love watching them now. Still have a cuttings book in the loft with reports of the sidecar races at that time. But George O'Dell was definitely my hero, along with Barry Sheene and Walter Villa...

Yep I do Michael, I was not there, it was a televised meeting, it was the Trans Trophy meeting I think? I was there in 1978 for that one, so probably 1979? Looked really nasty, but miraculously he got up and walked away if I recall?

#34 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:44

Ok. Got it now Philippe. I've given myself an uppercut, and several short rips to the torso. Apparently I've been living under a misapprehension for years, but it's now corrected. As I recall, winning the 250 title was the worst thing that could have happened for JLT's career, didn't gell with the works bikes and just faded away. A shame, as he appeared, in spite of his size, to be an intelligent and skilful racer.

I seem to remember Philippe saying that JL Tounadre only got a standard TZ in defense of his title & not a trick TZ which Sarron had for 1983? :

#35 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:49

Originally posted by philippe7
For those who care, we had discussed Jean-Louis' title and that French GP issue a while ago

http://forums.autosp...415#post1991415

A case in point this link to the thread, I did not know even existed, shows even more clearly that my point "I prefer it all under one roof" is simpler.... etc etc :D

#36 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:43

Didn't he (JLT) also race in Formula 3 (Automobile, not TT that is!;)) pretty soon after his title, thus further "diminishing" his standing with the two-wheel crowd?

#37 DTM-History

DTM-History

• 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 16:45

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
...I know that he also raced solo bikes at various times, not though with the same level of success as with the outfits....

Where can I find these Infos. I´m googling and googling.......But my English is not the best.;)

And does anyone know a Site where I can find some Infos about the national-Sidecar-Championship in Britain ???

#38 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 18:23

Originally posted by DTM-History

Where can I find these Infos. I´m googling and googling.......But my English is not the best.;)

And does anyone know a Site where I can find some Infos about the national-Sidecar-Championship in Britain ???

Well I'm a native and I can't find any either. It is possible that I've given you a bum steer about solo racing as I thought he rode in one of the proddy races in the IOM, yet the database says no. He could have practised and not started I suppose..... Also, I'm reasonably certain that I have seen a picture of him rounding Governors Bridge on, I think, a Triumph Prod bike. Another poster has mentioned a biography, so If I were you I would ask him nicely to check there. Can't think were you might find the sidecar info... Apologies for not being overly helpful.

#39 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 21:52

I seem to remember Philippe saying that JL Tounadre only got a standard TZ in defense of his title & not a trick TZ which Sarron had for 1983? :

Originally posted by fines
Didn't he (JLT) also race in Formula 3 (Automobile, not TT that is!;)) pretty soon after his title, thus further "diminishing" his standing with the two-wheel crowd?

Gentlemen,

Jean-Louis had big hopes that his title would pave him an easy way to factory machines, he was even given a trial race by Giacomo Agostini on a factory 500 Yamaha at Donington at the end of his title season , but nothing materialised and he ended up in the french importer Sonauto team, with Christian Sarron and Thierry Rapicault, all on similar bog-standard TZ's ( it's only the year after, Picblanc, that Sonauto realised that they would need to look at non-strictly-yamaha parts if they wanted to be competitive, and that Sarron used Hummel cylinders, like everybody else did, to win his world title )

Anyway, Tournadre's 1983 sason was a disaster, he raced in cars for two years, came back to 250 grand prix in 86 as a privateer and showed some promise until a huge crash at Spa put an end to his season. And after that he dabbled in endurance and superbikes for a few years .

But hey, sorry, I realise I'm hijacking the George O'Dell thread with my ramblings, so end of the diversion :blush:

Advertisement

#40 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 22:14

"And does anyone know a Site where I can find some Infos about the national-Sidecar-Championship in Britain ??? "

DTM-History, Buy the book.

#41 DTM-History

DTM-History

• 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 14:02

I try.

Very different Prices. From 10 € to 65 €.

#42 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 15:11

George O'Dell interview from "Motor" 1977....in Dutch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 19:11

I clicked on this thread in error but glad I did, really interesting, sounds like a real character and a blooming good rider.
Does anyone know where in Hemel he lived? I live there now and would be interested to know.

#44 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,660 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 20:46

Gregor,
I'm sure the Hemel Gazette features from the late 1970s will tell you..." George O'Dell of Adeyfield Road..." or whatever. If you can find their archive, that is.
Alternatively, do you ever use the Hemelweb site? Put a question on there and someone is bound to know, although memories might be quite painful given what happened in 1981. The only O'Dell contributor that I can see on Hemelweb seems to have been a vistor from Canada - she might be related.
John

#45 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 21:26

Originally posted by john winfield
Gregor,
I'm sure the Hemel Gazette features from the late 1970s will tell you..." George O'Dell of Adeyfield Road..." or whatever. If you can find their archive, that is.
Alternatively, do you ever use the Hemelweb site? Put a question on there and someone is bound to know, although memories might be quite painful given what happened in 1981. The only O'Dell contributor that I can see on Hemelweb seems to have been a vistor from Canada - she might be related.
John

Sometimes other people speak so much sense!! I read Hemel online every week so just searched after your post Johnm thank you!!
I know where Adeyfield Road is (without trying to offend the locals, Adeyfield is an area in Hemel and it's not the best!!) but I found that he's buried in Woodwells Cemetery, which isn't far (2 miles) from me (it's the back of the Buncefield site) so I'll go and have a look there - I should really check the burial thread, maybe someone has already done this??

#46 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 22:50

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall

I found that he's buried in Woodwells Cemetery, which isn't far (2 miles) from me (it's the back of the Buncefield site)

Good detective work Gregor. Looking on the satellite view on Multimap, Woodwell Cemetary looks quite small so hopefuly George's grave should be quite easy to find. As a fellow Hemel resident, I'll try to pay a visit when I get a chance.

Cheers

Chris

#47 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:42

Originally posted by john winfield
Gregor,
John

About 3 years a go I sold a photo of George to his nephew who I seem to recall is/was a Police officer in the Hemel area.

#48 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:46

Graham,

Do you remember if his nephew was an O'Dell as well ?

Chris

#49 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:50

Originally posted by lil'chris
Graham,

Do you remember if his nephew was an O'Dell as well ?

Chris

Yes I am sure he was, got a record of him somewhere? if I find out I will let you know?

#50 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:51

Yes he was, Michael O'Dell.