Jump to content


Photo

[Poll] New WDC system - Yes or No


  • Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

Poll: [Poll] New WDC system - Yes or No (638 member(s) have cast votes)

  1. Agree (82 votes [12.89%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.89%

  2. Not Agree (530 votes [83.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 83.33%

  3. No comment (24 votes [3.77%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SB

SB
  • Member

  • 1,790 posts
  • Joined: August 99

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:46

So time to voice !

Advertisement

#2 Yellowmc

Yellowmc
  • Member

  • 1,916 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:49

Definitely not.

People complained about the old system rewarding consistency too much and not giving winners a greater reward, well, this is at the other end of the line. It does not reward consistency at all.

The FOTA proposal met at the middle and was the best solution.

#3 UPRC

UPRC
  • Member

  • 4,610 posts
  • Joined: February 99

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:50

No, it is a ridiculous system and until it is changed I will refuse to watch a single race.

#4 peroa

peroa
  • Member

  • 8,889 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:52

:down:

#5 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja
  • Member

  • 1,370 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:53

I agree. I absolutely hate drivers that drive sensibly and pick up points and think about the championship. I know its the smart thing to do but i would rather watch a grand prix knowing 2nd place is actually trying to catch and pass 1st place driver, rather than having races like Valencia last year.

#6 Bart

Bart
  • Member

  • 4,231 posts
  • Joined: September 99

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:56

It'll be very amusing if the driver with the most points isn't WDC. Or if the driver with the second-highest number of wins doesn't come second. What a half-arsed mess. The FOTA proposal was far more sensible.

#7 skonks

skonks
  • Member

  • 925 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 15:58

typical FIA bullshit :down: :down: :down:
I expect a lot of "crashes for the win"
what a disgrace F1 has turned into! :

#8 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,190 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:02

Originally posted by Bart
It'll be very amusing if the driver with the most points isn't WDC.

1964, 1988...

#9 Blackdog

Blackdog
  • Member

  • 152 posts
  • Joined: February 04

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:02

Yet another FIA cock up. :down:

#10 noikeee

noikeee
  • Member

  • 9,516 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:10

I think the FOTA proposal was better, I would even prefer my own idea of a points system that would give points to atleast the top 10 and have much bigger gaps between each position, but I think this one is decent. Not great but not the "end of F1" as some are saying neither.

So I don't know what to vote.

#11 Orin

Orin
  • Member

  • 8,444 posts
  • Joined: October 04

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:14

So much for listening to the fans. Mosley pulled this one out of his arse.

#12 Chewie

Chewie
  • Member

  • 70 posts
  • Joined: July 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:14

:down: :down: :down: :( :mad:

#13 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja
  • Member

  • 1,370 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:31

Before you all have a coronary, think how much of a change it will actually make.
Yes, there are loads of possible outcomes but how realistic are they?
How close have the last few seasons been in terms of race wins?
The only situation where the title will be decided early is when a team has a dominant car that cant be beaten, in which case they're gonna win the title no matter what the points system is!
I see this as a way of making drivers push for the win at each race rather than cruising around conserving tyres, trying to get an extra lap out of the fuel load and all that other nonsense drivers do.

#14 Gemini

Gemini
  • Member

  • 3,390 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:31

Why not to give winner 10 points more than for P2? It would work in the same spirit without this radiculous stipulation. :rolleyes:

:down: :down: again to FIA

#15 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke
  • Member

  • 880 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:33

I knew the FIA were run by idiots, but I didn't realize they were this far gone to greenlight something as stupid as this. :rolleyes:

#16 wingwalker

wingwalker
  • Member

  • 6,326 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:35

**** no.

#17 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,842 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:44

No, I don`t agree. Besides being a mess, it may produce aberrations while also devaluing the efforts and results of everyone who doesn`t win.

#18 babe

babe
  • Member

  • 596 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:44

Originally posted by Crazy Ninja
Before you all have a coronary, think how much of a change it will actually make.
Yes, there are loads of possible outcomes but how realistic are they?
How close have the last few seasons been in terms of race wins?
The only situation where the title will be decided early is when a team has a dominant car that cant be beaten, in which case they're gonna win the title no matter what the points system is!
I see this as a way of making drivers push for the win at each race rather than cruising around conserving tyres, trying to get an extra lap out of the fuel load and all that other nonsense drivers do.


Hello.

Did you enjoy the end of last season's championship? You know, the exciting one in Brazil which went down to the last lap? How about the end of the '94 season, the '97, the '99 or 2007 season?

All those exciting races.

Did you?

Yes?

Well, I'm glad you did enjoy them, because you'll never, ever, ever see one again under this system.

What will happen is that one driver will be three wins ahead (but perhaps only six points in real terms) with two races to go, and that'll be it. Gone. Done.

#19 Massa_f1

Massa_f1
  • Member

  • 3,323 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:46

I voted No it is stupid, and so late in the day to be telling fans and teams this news.

Advertisement

#20 fifi

fifi
  • Member

  • 12,146 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:49

nup think its a pretty stupid idea

#21 Gamma Goblin

Gamma Goblin
  • Member

  • 39 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:52

I wonder if this was some sort of power play by Mosely, because FOTA were being seen to get things done after years of FIA inspired half-baked ideas brought us to the sorry state we are in now (up to '09 that is)

Just when i was starting to hope that common sense was prevailing (i.e. the FOTA points preposal)

Stupid, stupid, stupid. :evil:

#22 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja
  • Member

  • 1,370 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:53

Originally posted by babe


Hello.

Did you enjoy the end of last season's championship? You know, the exciting one in Brazil which went down to the last lap? How about the end of the '94 season, the '97, the '99 or 2007 season?

All those exciting races.

Did you?

Yes?

Well, I'm glad you did enjoy them, because you'll never, ever, ever see one again under this system.

What will happen is that one driver will be three wins ahead (but perhaps only six points in real terms) with two races to go, and that'll be it. Gone. Done.


I enjoyed 07 but not so much 08 :lol:

If this system was in place for last year, Lewis + Massa would have to fight each other for the win. I would of preferred to see Lewis vs Felipe in a head on battle for the WDC. Granted, last years finish was incredible, but it would have been even more exciting if they were pushing each other side by side, instead of Lewis cruising around in 5th.

97 would already been wrapped up by Jerez, but 99 would of had Irvine + Hakkinen going against each other for the win for the title. I think its definitely better than the old points system, so im happy to give it a cahnce and see how it pans out for this season.

#23 D A

D A
  • Member

  • 888 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:53

no :down:

#24 mclarensmps

mclarensmps
  • Member

  • 3,774 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:54

Originally posted by Orin
So much for listening to the fans. Mosley pulled this one out of his arse.


Think he pulled it out of Bernie's arse.... he was looking in the wrong places for lice, I guess.

#25 Zar

Zar
  • Member

  • 117 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:55

Originally posted by Yellowmc
Definitely not.

People complained about the old system rewarding consistency too much and not giving winners a greater reward, well, this is at the other end of the line. It does not reward consistency at all.

The FOTA proposal met at the middle and was the best solution.


Well said, rewarding consistency should've been taken into account.
:down: :down: For the FIA

#26 Rinehart

Rinehart
  • Member

  • 8,895 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:58

There are going to be a lot of FIA investigations into incidents between 1st and 2nd places this year, and a lot of drivers trundling around in 3rd place, gaining undeserved wins.

#27 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck
  • Member

  • 2,517 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:01

Sign the Petition

Cancel the FIA approved WDC selection criteria for F1 World Championship 2009


CC

#28 se7en_24

se7en_24
  • Member

  • 14,174 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:05

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck
Sign the Petition

Cancel the FIA approved WDC selection criteria for F1 World Championship 2009


CC

lol I was wondering when the first useless online petition link would be posted.;)

Has anyone started a Facebook group yet? That's sure to get the FIA to change their minds.

#29 Dark Monkey

Dark Monkey
  • Member

  • 137 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:12

It actually depends on how the WCC standings are rewarded. If they are properly funded, teams will compete more or less fairly and hopefully we won't see anymore 1st and 2nd racers turning revs down and signing a non aggression truce during race.

If not, F1 will be just a Wacky Races series.

#30 Rob

Rob
  • Member

  • 8,170 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:12

Utterly ridiculous :mad:

This is why Formula One will die. The people running it are clueless. Not even sure if I'll bother watching it any more. I am so disillusioned now I'm not sure if I care enough.

#31 Apollonius

Apollonius
  • Member

  • 601 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:13

No!!!


It's a farce!

#32 Owen

Owen
  • Member

  • 10,473 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:14

Originally posted by Orin
So much for listening to the fans. Mosley pulled this one out of his arse.


The FIA just don't get it, do they?

#33 Rob

Rob
  • Member

  • 8,170 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:15

Originally posted by Owen


The FIA just don't get it, do they?


I'm starting my own rival series, anyone want to join? :)

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM
  • Member

  • 8,113 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:18

I like it.

:cool:

#35 primer

primer
  • Member

  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:31

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM
I like it.

:cool:



You like it because you get yet another opportunity to be contrary and post that "cool" smilie face of yours. :mad:


:down: :down: :down:

#36 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck
  • Member

  • 2,517 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:32

Originally posted by se7en_24

lol I was wondering when the first useless online petition link would be posted.;)

Has anyone started a Facebook group yet? That's sure to get the FIA to change their minds.


I know it's futile...but what can you do?

CC

#37 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

  • 7,182 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:32

What a joke. :down:

#38 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout
  • Member

  • 9,681 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:34

I want to see how the BB will look like with the driver with most points not being WDC...

Lots of insane stuff today... :drunk: :drunk:

What a joke...

#39 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 20,056 posts
  • Joined: June 04

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:35

Originally posted by se7en_24

lol I was wondering when the first useless online petition link would be posted.;)

Has anyone started a Facebook group yet? That's sure to get the FIA to change their minds.


I wonder when someone will kick se7en_24 in the nuts ;)

As futile as an online petition but a lot more fun :p

Advertisement

#40 mursuka80

mursuka80
  • Member

  • 5,106 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:36

Originally posted by Owen


The FIA just don't get it, do they?


Well,its French invention like the EU,so there :)

#41 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM
  • Member

  • 8,113 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:41

Originally posted by primer



You like it because you get yet another opportunity to be contrary and post that "cool" smilie face of yours. :mad:


:down: :down: :down:


No.

I like now that it is a fact, like I have liked it and suggested it the past couple of seasons.

:cool:

#42 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:47

I'm sorry but this is a mess, does someone who in a great car at the start of the season wins 5 races but doesn't finish another race deserve the title more than the driver who won 4 and finished on the podium for every other race?

#43 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM
  • Member

  • 8,113 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:50

Here's 30 years worth of different World Drivers Champions:

2008 - Massa
1989 - Senna
1987 - Mansell
1986 - Mansell
1984 - Prost
1983 - Prost
1982 - Pironi
1979 - Jones

:cool:

#44 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout
  • Member

  • 9,681 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:51

The past year's championship to Massa by giving him the Spa win.. (where he was miles off the pace)

That's showing a lot of respect to the current champion, introducing the controversial sh*te now, like there was a problem of some sort with last year's stuff..

:down:

#45 EVO2

EVO2
  • Member

  • 754 posts
  • Joined: May 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:57

This is a decision that ranks alongside the introduction of KERS during a period of "cost saving" as one of the daftest ever.

As has been pointed out, it will be perfectly possible for the winning driver to have an unassailable lead before the last races while the points totals will tell quite a different story.

Just imagine that Button for the Brawn team goes out at the beginning of the season and scores 6 wins in succession.

Development by, say, two or three of the other teams who have worked really hard and achieved 2nd and third places in the first half then start to win races between them and Brawn slip well down the order.

At the end we could have Button winning the championship but he could easily be many point behind other more consistent drivers and teams.

What a farce - the WMSC is so out of touch.


The sooner F1 can break free of the FIA and FOM the better. Roll on 2012

#46 wrighty

wrighty
  • Member

  • 3,606 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:57

Originally posted by babe


Hello.

Did you enjoy the end of last season's championship? You know, the exciting one in Brazil which went down to the last lap? How about the end of the '94 season, the '97, the '99 or 2007 season?

All those exciting races.

Did you?

Yes?

Well, I'm glad you did enjoy them, because you'll never, ever, ever see one again under this system.

What will happen is that one driver will be three wins ahead (but perhaps only six points in real terms) with two races to go, and that'll be it. Gone. Done.


there's not a single thing i can add to that*, brilliant post.

*(but i'm going to try anyway lol)

lets face facts, one driver could be 6 points BEHIND with two races to go and he'd STILL be world champion, it's a complete and utter farce......no, thats not fair, it's an insult to the great tradition of comedy farce to be lumped in with this ludicrous suggestion, and thats before we get into the number 1/number 2 driver scenario, the potential for ludicrous stewards decisions to have even more of a bearing on the title than previously......its just so wrong its fcukin ridiculous.......and when we consider that all of this has happened (it would appear) JUST so the respective chiefs of the FIA and the FOM can 'prove their power' over the sport they're supposed to administer.....this is sport governance Mugabe-style :mad:

#47 Umpire

Umpire
  • Member

  • 787 posts
  • Joined: June 04

Posted 17 March 2009 - 18:01

This point system is absolutely ridiculous...Bernie-induced horseshit. That FOTA proposal was so damn good. Why did they have to change it? :evil:

#48 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout
  • Member

  • 9,681 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 18:01

Originally posted by wrighty


there's not a single thing i can add to that*, brilliant post.

*(but i'm going to try anyway lol)

lets face facts, one driver could be 6 points BEHIND with two races to go and he'd STILL be world champion, it's a complete and utter farce......no, thats not fair, it's an insult to the great tradition of comedy farce to be lumped in with this ludicrous suggestion, and thats before we get into the number 1/number 2 driver scenario, the potential for ludicrous stewards decisions to have even more of a bearing on the title than previously......its just so wrong its fcukin ridiculous.......and when we consider that all of this has happened (it would appear) JUST so the respective chiefs of the FIA and the FOM can 'prove their power' over the sport they're supposed to administer.....this is sport governance Mugabe-style :mad:


OMG great point...

#49 Josta

Josta
  • Member

  • 2,237 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 17 March 2009 - 18:01

Originally posted by mursuka80


Well,its French invention like the EU,so there :)


The French don't actually invent anything. Even their fries were invented by the Beligians. :)

#50 metz

metz
  • Member

  • 9,707 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 17 March 2009 - 18:03

There can be NO DOUBT that teams will now be wise to adopt a #1-2 driver status.
This is bad for the sport. It's maybe not a problem at McLaren or Renault.
But from now on, the inter team results at Ferrari, BMW Sauber, RBR, Toyota will be suspect.
Frank Williams has said that he will never adopt a 1-2 status. Now he's forced to do so by this win system.
Even if it will not make that much difference in the end, it sends the wrong message to the fans, the drivers and the teams.