Photo

Tyler Alexander to retire from McLaren

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 17:30

Tyler Alexander, a McLaren stalwart and one of the few remaining members of the team to have worked alongside its original founder Bruce McLaren, will retire from McLaren this month after a career spanning five decades at the sport’s very pinnacle.

As a young US mechanic with a passion for motorsport, Tyler joined Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd in 1963. He rose from mechanic status to become one of Bruce’s most trusted lieutenants and, later, one of the burgeoning team’s principal figures.

As the team expanded, Tyler found his talents blossoming on his native side of the pond, helming McLaren’s CanAm and USAC racing activities in North America before helping establish the foundations for Ron Dennis’s McLaren International operation in the 1980s. Professional, hard-working and irascible, yet possessing a canny ability to view Formula 1’s machinations with a raised eyebrow and quizzical smile, he remains eternally modest about his considerable achievements.

Ron Dennis, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the McLaren Group, said: “While McLaren represents the cutting-edge of modernity, we also have huge pride and respect for our roots. Very few people embody the blend of both those worlds as well as Tyler Alexander, who began working with Bruce McLaren at the very beginning of our company’s journey.

“That he has retained an important role on our race team until his leaving speaks volumes for both his passion for the sport and his vast experience, adaptability and intelligence.

“His is a legacy that has spanned every decade of this team’s involvement in Formula 1 and one that we will continue to cherish while missing his day-to-day involvement with the team.

“Everyone within the McLaren Group and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes wishes Tyler a restful and creative time in the future.” Mclaren.com

Advertisement

#2 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:40

A well deserved rest after sooooo many successful seasons with one of the top international motorsports teams of all times.

#3 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 19:47

A well deserved retirement, a lot of TNF posters will remember Tyler's name from way back, when the pretty orange cars raced at tracks around the world with the small decal of the Kiwi on the car :up:

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 20:58

Tyler is tied inexorably to the memory of that great racer, Bruce McLaren...

I remember him being there as I travelled the countryside chasing my first glimpses of multiple rounds of the Tasman Cup. Well, it was the first Tasman Cup anyway. And Tyler was there... he was there with his good friend Timmy and Timmy's brother Teddy.

But the fact that he and Teddy, who had come to Bruce McLaren Motor Racing in support of Timmy, stayed with Bruce when Timmy died shows the strength of the friendship and loyalty engendered by the late Kiwi.

1964 is a long time ago and there's been a lot of water and heartache and glory under the bridge since then. Mostly still in Teddy's company, but at times without it, Tyler has lived through it all. The grand days of the Can-Am, the frustrating days of the first two years of the 3-litre formula (count the different engines they tried!), the successes of the M19, M23 and M26, these were all a part of his life.

Terrible lows and glamorous highs. How can a man retire from that? I guess, with Teddy having just passed away, it's really pretty easy to say it's time to have a break. A very well deserved one...

#5 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 22:50

TA is a native of Hingham, Massachusetts: just S of Boston. I never knew that. Not far from where I grew up. Does anyone know his age? I'd guess he's in his mid-to-late sixties by now.

The things he's experienced in his lifetime - wow! I wonder if he has any plans to set them down in writing.

#6 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 23:06

Originally posted by Lotus23
TA is a native of Hingham, Massachusetts: just S of Boston. I never knew that. Not far from where I grew up. Does anyone know his age? I'd guess he's in his mid-to-late sixties by now.

The things he's experienced in his lifetime - wow! I wonder if he has any plans to set them down in writing.

Sixty Eight.

Nigel

#7 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 23:10

Originally posted by Lotus23
Does anyone know his age? I'd guess he's in his mid-to-late sixties by now.

"McLaren announced earlier this week that Tyler Alexander is to retire, 46 years after he first joined the team. But we hear that the 68-year-old American may not be finished with the sport yet, as his passion, enthusiasm and technical experience could still be useful to another F1 team."
http://www.grandprix...ns/ns21254.html

#8 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 13:43

Didn't Tyler Alexander have a stint with the Newman - Haas IndyCar team in the mid 1980's? I seem to remember him and CART technical personel having a very heated debate next to Mario's car at Road America in '84 - '86. Sorry, I don't recall the exact year. My apologies in advance if this was a different individual than Mr. Alexander.

Brian

#9 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 16:55

Originally posted by B Squared
Didn't Tyler Alexander have a stint with the Newman - Haas IndyCar team in the mid 1980's? I seem to remember him and CART technical personel having a very heated debate next to Mario's car at Road America in '84 - '86. Sorry, I don't recall the exact year. My apologies in advance if this was a different individual than Mr. Alexander.

Brian

He and Teddy Mayer formed a British-based Indycar team called Mayer Motor Racing for which Alexander ran the technical operations. The team came close to winning the 1984 Indycar title at its first attempt, with driver Tom Sneva. Mayer Motor Racing disappeared soon afterwards when Mayer and Alexander became the team principals in what was to become Carl Haas's Beatrice F1 team. Alexander was team manager of the operation, but when Beatrice unexpectedly pulled out the team was forced to fold.
http://www.grandprix...ref-aletyl.html

#10 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 17:25

Originally posted by B Squared

Brian

Brian, you are right that Tyler ran NHR for a time during the eighties. This was after Mayer Motor Racing (1984) had morphed into the FORCE / Beatrice Haas F1 team (1985-1986). He joined NHR after 1986. Check out the crew picture from Indy qualifying in 1987 for Mario Andretti's car.

Thanks

Nigel

#11 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:59

Thanks Nigel & WGD706 - It must have been at Road America in 1987 then. Sorry for the confusion on years.

Brian

#12 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:30

You're welcome, Brian.
Warren

#13 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:06

Originally posted by Nigel Beresford

Brian, you are right that Tyler ran NHR for a time during the eighties. This was after Mayer Motor Racing (1984) had morphed into the FORCE / Beatrice Haas F1 team (1985-1986). He joined NHR after 1986. Check out the crew picture from Indy qualifying in 1987 for Mario Andretti's car.

Thanks

Nigel

FORCE - Formula One Race Car Engineering - Wasn't this also known as The McLaren Old Boy's Association, Nigel? I was promised five years of work from the Beatrice organisation, but of course...

#14 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:25

Originally posted by Tony Matthews

FORCE - Formula One Race Car Engineering - Wasn't this also known as The McLaren Old Boy's Association, Nigel? I was promised five years of work from the Beatrice organisation, but of course...

Exactly right on the acronym. You will recall that they were based right there at what is now the exit from the M25 you take for Terminal 4, a stone's throw from the Poyle Trading Estate where McLaren were based until 1981 or 82. The 'McLaren Old Boys' (MOB) included Tyler and Teddy of course, John Baldwin, Phil Sharp, my father Don and many others. I believe you "did" the THL-2 didn't you?

Thanks, Nigel

#15 ErinKondratieff

ErinKondratieff

• 110 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 21:20

Although he officially retired in March of this year, Tyler's enthusiasm is as
strong as ever. At the British Grand Prix this year he was back in McLaren
uniform working in their pit garage. Here is a photo taken on the Saturday
between sessions. This is Tyler with Kim Pond.

Photograph by Howden Ganley

Posted Image

#16 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:02

Exactly right on the acronym. You will recall that they were based right there at what is now the exit from the M25 you take for Terminal 4, a stone's throw from the Poyle Trading Estate where McLaren were based until 1981 or 82. The 'McLaren Old Boys' (MOB) included Tyler and Teddy of course, John Baldwin, Phil Sharp, my father Don and many others. I believe you "did" the THL-2 didn't you?

Thanks, Nigel

Phil Sharp has a good result today!
http://www.nzherald....jectid=10820951

#17 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 00:48

:clap:

#18 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:14

Here are 3 of Tyler during a pre-season test at Laguna Seca with NHR. A couple of other noteworthy guys named Andretti and Newey in there too.

http://www.flickr.co...157623311357576

http://www.flickr.co...57623311357576/

http://www.flickr.co...57623311357576/

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:19

Does anyone have contact details for Tyler today?

If so, an e.mail (address below) would be greatly appreciated...

Advertisement

#20 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 17:23

It seems he resides in Sparks, Nevada.
At least if he is this man:

Tyler James Alexander was born in 1940. Tyler currently lives in Sparks, Nevada. Before that, Tyler lived in Hingham, MA from 1989 to 1991.

#21 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 20:33

Tyler and Bruce 1969.

Posted Image

Copyright JAG