Photo

McClure Halley - Zumbach's customer and ARCA racer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carrozzeria

carrozzeria

• 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 18:55

Trying to learn more about a unique Northeast USA racer / car enthusiast by the name of McClure Halley. "Mac" had some great automobiles ala his Alfa 8C2900B Touring-bodied Spider (Mozart owned now and ex-PB winner), his Bugatti's T35/51/etc, Mercedes-Miller and a bunch of other cars. Most modified via the factory when new or modified by Zumbach's shop during the pre-war era.

Looking for additional stories, pictures (him or his cars) and other interesting tidbits.

I know via some comments that "he [Mac] alone could have kept Zumbach's shop afloat for many years with projects he had them do".

Advertisement

#2 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 17:14

Was just searching "ARCA" posts and came across this one.
Three books come immediately to mind as far as Halley stories and photos:

-American Road Racing: The 1930s by Joel Finn. This book has a fair amount of info on his relationship with Zumbach's as well as photos of a few of his cars.
-The Immortal 2.9 by Simon Moore obviously discusses his 2900 in depth. The newest edition has some great photos of the custom work done to the car, including some rather interesting scroll/engraving work. I believe Mozart's restoration of this car erased much–if not all–of Halley's customized details.
-The World of the Automobile by Ralph Stein has some great stuff in it about Zumbach's.

The anecdote you heard may have come from any one of those sources? The Stein book you can pick up for pennies, practically. The other two books cost considerably more but any automotive library is instantly improved by either one's presence.

At the Harry A. Miller Club meet back in 2001 I saw the Mercedes-Miller, or at least what I thought was the car. It was orange and polished aluminum/chrome. I was later told that it might be a replica? I unfortunately lost the photos of it in a hard drive crash.

Cris

Trying to learn more about a unique Northeast USA racer / car enthusiast by the name of McClure Halley. "Mac" had some great automobiles ala his Alfa 8C2900B Touring-bodied Spider (Mozart owned now and ex-PB winner), his Bugatti's T35/51/etc, Mercedes-Miller and a bunch of other cars. Most modified via the factory when new or modified by Zumbach's shop during the pre-war era.

Looking for additional stories, pictures (him or his cars) and other interesting tidbits.

I know via some comments that "he [Mac] alone could have kept Zumbach's shop afloat for many years with projects he had them do".

#3 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 18:51

This Bugatti T51 was entered by McClure Halley for Dave Evans who drove it in the inaugural Vanderbilt Cup:
http://www.conceptca...mp;iDNumID=7011

#4 air8271

air8271

• 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 18:36

Here is a photo of one of Mac's Cars and by the way, his wife Julie:

Posted Image

Let me know what else you would like to know. Mac was my wife's great uncle.

Also, you might be interested in this recent NY Times article about the above car model:
http://www.nytimes.c...ref=todayspaper

Regards,

John

#5 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 00:21

Here is a picture of the Mercedes Miller, with Fred Winnai behind the wheel at Roosevelt Raceway in 1936.

http://www.vanderbil..._edited-1-1.jpg

#6 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 17:50

Here is a picture of the Mercedes Miller, with Fred Winnai behind the wheel at Roosevelt Raceway in 1936.

http://www.vanderbil..._edited-1-1.jpg

Not sure who this is, but it's definitely not Freddie Winnai. Maybe Dave Evans?