Photo

NASCAR is in Bristol this weekend! (Nationwide and Cup)

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:25

Practices have concluded for both Cup and nationwide guys and Cup qualifying is about to start.

This is the Monaco of NASCAR. I say this because one driver once described racing at Monaco as being similar to racing bicycles around your dining room. Racing at Bristol is described as being similar to racing fighter jets around inside a gymnasium.

There will be more bent sheet metal than probably any other weekend in the series, save perhaps for the OTHER Bristol weekend.

Let's talk about NASCAR stuff specific to the competition in Bristol this weekend.

DEATH TO DIGGER!

Advertisement

#2 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:38

I personally believe this football field size track is too small for that many cars..

43 cars at 120 mph .. (avg speed) in a half a mile track is kind of crazy..

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:40

Originally posted by BMW_F1
I personally believe this football field size track is too small for that many cars..

That's what makes it so brilliant. It's a total bullring.

#4 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:47

Within a few dozen laps of any start, the thing looks like a conveyor belt.

#5 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 19:47

Oh ! believe me .. I enjoy it.. I meant that it must be an exhilarate experience to those behind the wheel..

#6 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:04

Free live timing & scoring for qualis at http://www.nascar.co...board/cup/qual/

right now we have an all ex-F1 front row. How cool would it be if it stayed that way?

#7 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:15

bristol was one of my favourite tracks in nascar2 back in the day :clap:

#8 cutting42

cutting42

• 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:24

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm going to be there, I'm going to be there, sitting in Cincinnati waiting for my flight to Tri Cities right now. Got a room, got a ticket and got some ear defenders!

Can't wait

#9 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:41

Bristol is fantastic. If I was to choose a race to attend, it would definitely be one at Bristol.

#10 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:51

Originally posted by cutting42
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm going to be there, I'm going to be there, sitting in Cincinnati waiting for my flight to Tri Cities right now. Got a room, got a ticket and got some ear defenders!

Can't wait

are you a Montoya fan and/or your first NASCAR race?.. Maybe this is a sign..

EDIT: Is your first race.. I now remember your post..
http://forums.autosp...threadid=106742

#11 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:59

cuttting42, you made me remember about another poster back in 07 who also attended his first NASCAR race..
Let's read some more.. shall we?

before the race.. ....

SphereTL1000S :
Well, I'll be there at the track, hope I can get some good pics/videos for you guys. Hopefully, Montoya can have an entertaining race, after a disapointing qualifying.

Any hints on who else I should look for at the race? Apart from Jeff Gordon, who will be entertaining to watch for stunts, crazy passes, etc? Right now, I'm thinking pretty much everyone will drive like they got nothing to [edit: lose] "rookies", since road tracks are not exactly their expertise.

Now after the race..

SphereTL1000S :
Congratulations, Montoya, great win!

I was there at turn 2, got some pictures to share with you guys.

It was a hot sunny day, and I enjoyed a lot. It was my first Nascar race, and to make it sweeter, first Montoya's win! GOOD STUFF.

Man, I had so much fun. The noise was incredible, the cheering fans were great. Very well organized event, lots of things to do and talk about. What I likes most was the on track action, side by side racing, even on such a narrow track. Turn 2 is a very tricky corner, people were everywhere, but Montoya was always trying something there, including his last move to pass for the lead with 7 laps to go, right in front of me! GREAT!

I can tell you man, from talking on the lines for beer, TV-radios, food, on the exit, Montoya made a lot of new fans there. People were really expecting Gordon to do what Montoya did, but in the end, Montoya was the one way on the top.

Okay, Montoya was not supposed to win this thing, but I believe that is the mark of a great driver, to pull off wins out of nowhere.

Stewart, Johnson, Dale Jr, Gordon, all had faster cars. Don't forget that Montoya never lapped as fast as those guys, and his final battle for the lead, with McMurray, was with the pole sitter. You can't say McMurray had a slow car at all. It just that Montoya is a great fighter, more than one talked with me about that, that he can make a pass to stick in impossible places, even with a slower car.

He drove so smoothly at the end to save fuel, and still was pretty fast. The only ones faster at the end were 30 sec behind, with pleny of fuel to make it to the end. From those saving fuel, Montoya was a second faster. How do I know?

I rented a tiny LCD TV from nextel, and it was the best thing I've ever seen. It showed the live TV feed, and 5 in car cameras, including Stewart, Gordon, Said and Montoya. All the race stats right on the palm of your hand:

- for a driver: Fastest lap, average lap, previous lap;
- fastest last lap, fastest lap (for the respective driver)
- point standings if the race finishes in the current position
- driver lap times compared to the two guys in front of the one you pick, and the two right behind him...and this for ANY driver you pick (can you imagine that in F1?)
- driver bio, last results on the track, etc...great for newbies like me..."this guys blocked Montoya, who is this guy?...check machine...ohhh, a veteran, lots of race wins...hummm"
- starting grid, with lap times
- current point standings
- positions lost since last yellow ("Who's hot", Montoya, Johnson and Gordon were always there with like +8 or
+9 passes
- position lost since last yellow ("WHO's NOT")
-pit to car radio from any car you choose, just dial the car number;
-priority radio, you can hear 4 drivers radio on top of any other thing you are hearing, on the order you choose: I picked Montoya, Stewart, Said, Gordon;
-officials radio to the teams

I can tell you that with this thing, I did not miss one single pass of Montoya's. I left on his in car camera most of the time. It was great fun. You could see and hear him struggling with his water bottle on the warm up laps, before the race started. He complained a lot for his team not fixing it up after the first stops, eventually the team got authorization for an extra guy on the pits to give him the freakin bottle.

Montoya commented on spinning Kyle Busch. Immediatly after that he said: "tell him I'm sorry I spun him, I had nowhere to go". The team: "okay". Montoya: I mean it, I felt bad for him.

He also commented on Dale Jr. chevy: "The drivability of the chevy is amazing", right after failing to make a move on turn 2 on Dale Jr. The team chief:"10-4, copy that".

I also learned that the team spotter is actually Montoya's rear and side view mirrors. After every pass, he would say if Montoya was "clear, clear", meaning, it was safe to close the door, or "not clear", meaning, leave him room, or will get a contact. Also, on the road to turn 11, heavy breaking, he would alway say if there were someone diving for the inside. For instance, the battle with Jimmy Johnson (48) was furious, Montoya bang the guy, little dirty there, Johnson return the favor, lots of paint being exchange there. LOTS of pit to driver talking, lots of bumping: "Be careful, he is coming back, he is on the inside, not clear"...BANG, he lost position, then "okay, close, now, one car behind", meaning, don't let anybody else pass you, close the door, etc. That was perhaps the tensest moment on the radio.

In the end, the pit radio was clearly trying to slow down Montoya as much as they could. For them, at first, it was not clear that Montoya was able to fight with Harvick and McMurray and still save fuel. They were super careful..."Easy, easy, everybody around you is on the same strategy, no need to race them, they will not race you"..."Stewart is 30 secs behind you, he will definetly not pit again." "Smooth there, nice". Then they realize, with 10 laps to go, that he had to save three laps from the last stop, "we can make it, if we take it easy, okay?" at this time, Montoya passed Harvick, and with 7 laps to go, McMurray.

Untill the last lap, Montoya spoke very little, as if he was not believing he could make it, almost preparing himself for the last splash. I was thinking, maybe he can stay in the top ten, if he manages to come up in front of Stewart, but Stewart was flying, ended up 6th at the end. At the track, a guy in front of me with J. Johnson cap said Stewarts team was expecting the first six (McMurray, Montoya, Harvick, Burton, Bowyer, Biffle) to make a stop, and that probably Stewart, Gordon, Said and Hamlin would emerge to fight for the podium. I said, hummm, let's see, I said Stewart's team is not reading it right, nobody at Ganassi are making plans for a splash. They are either make it to the end, or die trying.

All in all, I am definetly planning to go again. I am a Nascar fan now. Montoya is great, I am happy for him, but if learned something today, is that drivers like Gordon, Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr, are very, very fast, very talented, and if Montoya one day, in a couple of years time, come to dominate everybody, I'll be surprised. The deph of field is there, it will not be easy to Montoya, but if his team get it together at the ovals, he will definetly fight for the title.

#12 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 21:12

Bristol is NASCAR's Monaco.

#13 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 21:37

Damn that account got me revved up...and there are two days to go still!

#14 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:35

Who is NASCAR?

#15 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:42

A packed Bristol looks great and then there is the racing, I think this could be a battle of the Busch brothers.
Gibbs should run well here, they were strong here last year, good luck to Joey.

#16 John B

John B

• 7,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 23:00

Hard to believe its the 3rd year of the COT at this race.

Most recent races at Bristol have been fairly quiet as far as incidents, save for the very end of the two last year, probably in large part due to the repaving. I'm wondering if there will be a wreckfest as teams seem to be more confortable with the new car which may lead to more aggressive driving.

Pretty open as far as favorites...it doesn't seem to favor one team like a lot of the other tracks do. Edwards has won a couple recently, Gibbs will be good, Childress cars have done well, Jr. will likely show better than at other tracks so far. Kurt Busch has been the big winner at this track but not since the COT.

Apart from racing, Bristol and Monaco probably don't get in the same sentence much...;)

#17 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:08

I'm going to try to track Scott Speed and Joey Logano. Bristol should be a huge reality check for those two, although I believe both have been in the nationwide cars there.

#18 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:17

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII
I'm going to try to track Scott Speed and Joey Logano. Bristol should be a huge reality check for those two, although I believe both have been in the nationwide cars there.

Remember when everyone was expecting Monty to get his ass handed to him and he finished in the top 20 in his first trip to Bristol? (I think he was 15th or so but I could be wrong).

However, I would probably bet that Logano will end up either 10+ laps down or out of the race completely if it was even money.

Put another way, if I were a bookie, I'd start the over-under on the number of laps Logano will be down at the end of the race at around 25.

Remember, the rookies wear a nice bright yellow rear bumper to tell them apart--it's like a magnet to some of the other drivers.

#19 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:37

Originally posted by ZenSpeed
Who is NASCAR?

Good Question

It is a regional racing series in the US that in its infancy decided to put cars into racetracks that horses used and became a series for left turning cars only ( except twice a year when they get excited and try to turn right - but only twice a year as the excitement is too much for them)

You compete in big heavy "stock" cars - but there is nothing on them found on the cards they supposedly represent - so I guess "stock" is a misnomer.

Another misnomer is any use of any word describing the series as “world-class”. Being a regional series its appeal is generally limited to residents in the local area and their cousins (marrying kind included)

It is accompanied by "tailgate parties" and "Fans" being able to throw cans and bottles on the track.

It is also viewed as the pinnacle of American motorsport by some - just as some viewed George W Bush as the greatest president on that country.

The scoring system was written by the same person who thought that the Dead Sea Scrolls were too easy to decode. You get points for winning, leading, starting, stopping, best trailer, cleanest pit, most beers drunk before have to relieve your bladder, most spectacular use of gasoline to create a “fireball”, most fans who can misspell the name of any driver born outside the continental US.

For more detailed information please consult the documentary "Stroker Ace"

Advertisement

#20 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:54

Originally posted by GerardF1

Good Question

It is a regional racing series in the US that in its infancy decided to put cars into racetracks that horses used and became a series for left turning cars only ( except twice a year when they get excited and try to turn right - but only twice a year as the excitement is too much for them)

You compete in big heavy "stock" cars - but there is nothing on them found on the cards they supposedly represent - so I guess "stock" is a misnomer.

Another misnomer is any use of any word describing the series as “world-class”. Being a regional series its appeal is generally limited to residents in the local area and their cousins (marrying kind included)

It is accompanied by "tailgate parties" and "Fans" being able to throw cans and bottles on the track.

It is also viewed as the pinnacle of American motorsport by some - just as some viewed George W Bush as the greatest president on that country.

The scoring system was written by the same person who thought that the Dead Sea Scrolls were too easy to decode. You get points for winning, leading, starting, stopping, best trailer, cleanest pit, most beers drunk before have to relieve your bladder, most spectacular use of gasoline to create a “fireball”, most fans who can misspell the name of any driver born outside the continental US.

Don't forget to see Talladega Nights, either.
Sacha Baron Cohen does a wonderful job of playing GerardF1
:smoking:

#21 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:09

Always looking forward to the races at Bristol and Martinsville. The racing is intense, especially at Bristol. As a Montoyafan I hope he and the team can keep up their current pace they have started the season with, and maybe grab the car and the track by the neck this weekend and fight themselves into a great result. I think a top 5 is easily within reach, it's about time things start to go their way.

I also believe Kurt Busch and the Penske team has a good short-track programme since last year? With a win in the back they could be really strong here.

Kyle Busch will be a contender for sure as the usual suspects. But I wonder how Mark Martin will tackle this race aas he fights to keep the car within top-35. That could be a nightmare to follow.

I also think Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman will be strong, especially as the latter have to get a good result so they don't have to qualify for the rest of the season.

Bring it on!

#22 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:48

Drivers always turn right on the ovals, I would seriously advise them not to turn left when exiting the pits......

The Penske Dodge cars are going well and Kurt is showing his talent now the car seems to be sorted, he will be strong, Burton and Harvick too, Jeff Gordon maybe, Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin, Roush cars can never be dismissed, the winner to come from these drivers/teams.
I think the Hendrick's teams will still be looking for a win after Bristol....

#23 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 16:53

It may be a regional series but it is a real big region.

#24 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 17:12

Originally posted by whitewaterMkII
Don't forget to see Talladega Nights, either.
Sacha Baron Cohen does a wonderful job of playing GerardF1
:smoking:

Gerarde Formula Uhn

#25 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 17:14

Originally posted by LuckyStrike1
I also believe Kurt Busch and the Penske team has a good short-track programme since last year? With a win in the back they could be really strong here.

Actually Kurt Busch has been good at Bristol since he was at Rousch. He's just one of those guys that "gets" Bristol. JJ would be one of those that doesn't:

http://sports.espn.g...avid&id=3998066

Anyway, N'wide race coverage starting in about 20 mins (not sure when actual green flag is). Free OTA in USA, on ABC.

#26 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 17:28

Whoops sorry the coverage starts at 2PM EDT, tomorrow it begins at 1:30PM. So the coverage starts in about 30 mins from NOW.

#27 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 18:23

After seeing that 5 hour energy ad featuring Steven Wallace and the joke about crashes, I just realized that any Nationwide race can also be called "the Steven Wallace crash-fest!"

What's the over under on the number of wrecks Steve's involved in?

Also funny interview with Kyle Busch

#28 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 20:18

NEWS FLASH! Steven Wallace involved in ZERO incidents thus far! He must have forgotten to drink his dum-dum juice this morning--maybe he drank 5 Hour Energy instead.

Highlights so far (at the 2/3 mark):

--Kyle Busch putting a HURTING on the rest of the field, running away with the lead.
--Justin Allgaier making a quality pass on the outside of the aforementioned Steve Wallace
--Scott Speed making a three-wide pass on the inside of a turn, then getting tapped and losing back one of the spots a few laps later
--Joey Logano losing a tire after contact with Allgaier, caution came out immedately after for an unrelated reason, allowing him to hang on to his top-15 run.

I found the race quite boring at the beginning since I don't have my RaceView and whatnot but it's gotten more interesting as the race has progressed.

#29 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 20:30

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker
Kyle Busch putting a HURTING on the rest of the field, running away with the lead.

You spoke too soon, his pit crew lost control of a wheel, and he's last of the lead lap cars, with 42 laps to go.

#30 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 21:00

Originally posted by Youichi
You spoke too soon, his pit crew lost control of a wheel, and he's last of the lead lap cars, with 42 laps to go.

Well, he WAS putting it on them. Recovered to finish 6th but clearly disgusted with how it all went down.

Allgaier with his first top-5, Speed with a top-10, overall a neat race. Too bad Kyle's penalty didn't happen with more like 100 laps to go, or even 70, that would have been a real corker watching him try to claw those last five positions back over those extra 30-60 laps!

#31 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 21:11

Originally posted by OfficeLinebacker
After seeing that 5 hour energy ad featuring Steven Wallace and the joke about crashes, I just realized that any Nationwide race can also be called "the Steven Wallace crash-fest!"

What's the over under on the number of wrecks Steve's involved in?

Also funny interview with Kyle Busch

I saw that ad and I had to laugh, the irony.

#32 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 21:24

Bristol is the Mekka of racing, that and Martnsville are the only tracks where you can really feel like your at a football game, because you can see everything! I'd love to go to one of those some day! I like Bristol more, because of the banking :)

#33 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 21:31

Good Question

Let's not forget that you run 26 races like a god, and then Max (France Jr.) resets your points, and you start from scratch again if you're one of the twelve who has coded the system right during the season. Then they have 10 shitty races, because their biggest events are always at the spring, and in those 10 shitty days some rubbish Californian called Jimmie is the only fella turning up, so after winning 13 races in a row at the end of the season, everybody stand there and wonder "Where did that wiz come from"? Then the fellas are lazy, and don't drive for three months, before they start their illusion to beat the Californian again.

It's the circle of life :rotfl:

#34 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,118 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 23:32

After watching the Nationwide race (or at least the parts I didn't sleep through), I have concluded that the new configuration has just totally emasculated what we knew as Bristol. When you have a Nationwide field, including Steven Wallace, being able to run the race practically without incidents, you know that it's not Bristol.

#35 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 00:09

Originally posted by jeze

Let's not forget that you run 26 races like a god, and then Max (France Jr.) resets your points, and you start from scratch again if you're one of the twelve who has coded the system right during the season. Then they have 10 shitty races, because their biggest events are always at the spring, and in those 10 shitty days some rubbish Californian called Jimmie is the only fella turning up, so after winning 13 races in a row at the end of the season, everybody stand there and wonder "Where did that wiz come from"? Then the fellas are lazy, and don't drive for three months, before they start their illusion to beat the Californian again.

It's the circle of life :rotfl:

Is it possible that people can have a race thread, you know, about a race? :rolleyes:

#36 cutting42

cutting42

• 35 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:58

Hi All

Just back in my hotel from my first NASCAR experience. Where do I start....

Well I decided to get there early, I was staying in Kingsport about 15 miles away and set off at 8.30am so as to try and miss the worst of the traffic. Actually at that time there was virtually no traffic getting there and not much around the circuit and I arrived at 9.00am as the gates opened. I parked in a local church next to the Raceway and gave a "donation" of $20 which sounded better than a parking charge! It was a short walk to the Raceway through one of many camp sites, with breakfasts being made all around and beer tins cracked open already. Several people were very welcoming shouting out greetings as I was walking through and when I answered back in my very English accent it took me nearly an hour to pry myself away from offers of beer, breakfast and accomodation. The Southern states do seem very taken with the English, but do seem to think I must be a personal friend of Simon Cowell!

I took a good look around the huge array of merchandise and got a radio headset/ear defender which actually was a bit of an error, I should have got a scanner or Nextel TV gadget as the radio station was too faint to be heard while the cars were racing but I get ahead of myself. Bought my tickets through TicketMaster as I could not get StubHub to work with a UK address and Ticketmaster had a pickup service called Will Call based on site. The tickets were picked up no problem but I needed photo ID (thank goodness I had remembered to bring my passport. Also in Tennessee you need photo ID to buy alchohol if you are under 40! (which unfortunately I am)

The circuit is on quite a hill and when laden down with cameras, coats (quite chilly in the morining) and drinks got quite exhausting but if you do give up there are plenty of free shuttles about the place. As the seating is raked very steeply the stairs to the seats are quite spectacular, especially if you are on one of the upper terraces although some have elevators. I was in the grandstand which is bench seating and gets quite friendly when it gets full. Your bags and stuff needs to be able to be fitted under the seat and is limited to 14" wide.

I missed the Nationwide qualifying as I was faffing about looking around etc. but when I finally sat down it was in time for the Sprint Car warm up or happy hour as one of the chaps sitting near me called it. This is when the noise hits you. It is like being at a continuous drag race which was my nearest comparison to date. The speed is impressive but up at row 60 where I was it nothing special, however when I walked down to the trackside to take picture my view changed. You can stand only a few feet from where the cars are on the straightaway and the closing speed is probably 130 or so and it hits you like a punch, very cool indeed but the ear defenders have never been so needed in my life!

I just had a whale of a time snapping away and after the warm up a few drivers including Montoya and Dale jr were visible and as I had borrowed a 400mm lens I could get fairly clear snaps of them.

The start of the days main event was quite moving in a way compared with a std UK track meet. They held a prayer for the Drivers and crowd and then an unknown (to me) boy band sang the Star Bangled Banner - bit weird not seeing the crowd singing along as you would for the UK Nat Anthem but there you go. The famous phrase, "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" rang out and on went the ear muffs! I had alway though a rolling start would be a bit of a let down but actually it had its own tension, slowly building up speed and the two groups of cars merging and finally when they got the green flag the place erupted like a Man U goal at Trafford Park.

I will be honest and say the race was a bit boring to me and I struggled with identifying with any driver. However as Kyle Busch seemed to be so unpopular there (jeers and boos at any opportunity) I thought he would be a good one to pick. Looked like being a great choice for a while as he was clearly the quickest out there until the tyre screw up - see post above. However the way he picked his way from the back of the line up to 6th place was very enjoyable. Prob needed another 50 laps to make it to the top again though. The skill of the guys racing also took me back a bit as I had assumed that it was just turning left all the time and a bit basic, but is was very clear that the skill of finessing a heavy stock car around that tight track was very high indeed. It was also noticable the car differences when I watch both the Nationwide and Sprint Cars
the COT was really planted in the turns, much less movement than the Nationwide cars which tended to sway coming off the turns.

After the race there were some Pro Celeb type races which I did not really understand what was going on or who the celeb were (no different to here really, I have no clue what Kerry Katona is either) but they were having quite a thrash round the track and crashing lots so pretty entertaining. I took about 400 pic which I will sort out when I get home in a week or so and will post a couple of them on here in case anyone retains an interest.

I find myself a bit gutted I will not be there tomorrow for the Sprint Race as I feel I know some of the names better and would follow the race better but so be it. If I find myself in NASCAR country again for a weekend I will certainly pay another visit.

Thanks for listening

#37 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:48

Fantastic, glad you had a great experience.

#38 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:34

Originally posted by Dmitriy_Guller
After watching the Nationwide race (or at least the parts I didn't sleep through), I have concluded that the new configuration has just totally emasculated what we knew as Bristol. When you have a Nationwide field, including Steven Wallace, being able to run the race practically without incidents, you know that it's not Bristol.

I agree. I liked it better when Bristol was a one groove track. And the better cars pass you if you couldnt hold the bottom

#39 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:56

The Southern states do seem very taken with the English, but do seem to think I must be a personal friend of Simon Cowell!

Ticketmaster had a pickup service called Will Call based on site.

happy hour as one of the chaps sitting near me called it.

the place erupted like a Man U goal at Trafford Park.

It was also noticable the car differences when I watch both the Nationwide and Sprint Cars
the COT was really planted in the turns, much less movement than the Nationwide cars which tended to sway coming off the turns.

After the race there were some Pro Celeb type races which I did not really understand what was going on or who the celeb were (no different to here really, I have no clue what Kerry Katona is either) but they were having quite a thrash round the track and crashing lots so pretty entertaining. I took about 400 pic which I will sort out when I get home in a week or so and will post a couple of them on here in case anyone retains an interest.

Thanks for listening

Three cheers for cutting42!

LOL @ Simon Cowell

"Will Call" is a general term used in the States for when the tickets are picked up at the actual even box office, usually prepaid.

Happy Hour is the name for the third/last practice before a Cup race. It usually goes Practice 1-Qualifying-Practice 2-Practice 3 aka Happy Hour. NASCAR has been messing around with impound/parc ferme types of rules lately (past three years or so), not sure what the status of that is these days. Clearly Happy Hour only happens in non-impound races.

Great Man Utd references there.

Neat to know about the relative differences in how the two types of cars appeared to handle.

The pro celeb things are a new thing. I think that celebs qualified the cars and retired pros drove them in the heat races. Junior Johnson, Sterling Marlin, Rusty Wallace were all in the retiree category. Sounded like it would be fun, and the crashes are always entertaining so there you have it.

So sorry you didn't make it to the Cup race but now you have a "next time" goal. And I am really, really looking forward to any and all pictures you have to post.

Thanks so much, I'm quite pleased to know one of our own was present at the spectacle I got to watch on TV today.

Only about...13 hours until the Big Boys take the track.

As far as some of the comments about the new grooves and possibly boring races, I do have this to offer:

I think with the talent and respect of the Cup guys, we'll see fewer cautions per lap. With the ease of passing, I worry that we'll have another situation where very few cars finish on the lead lap. Only 15 were on the lead lad of the N'wide race. Makes me wonder about the Cup race.

Also LOL@Dmitriy, you're right, when even Steven doesn't cause a wreck, something's the matter.

The one thing I WILL hopefully note is that the CoT is very, very durable compared to the N'wide cars of the older design, and the drivers know that. So there may be more beatin' & bangin' due to that.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, and thanks again cutting42, cheers!

Advertisement

#40 indyracefan

indyracefan

• 161 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:18

Hi All

Just back in my hotel from my first NASCAR experience. Where do I start....

Well I decided to get there early, I was staying in Kingsport about 15 miles away and set off at 8.30am so as to try and miss the worst of the traffic. Actually at that time there was virtually no traffic getting there and not much around the circuit and I arrived at 9.00am as the gates opened. I parked in a local church next to the Raceway and gave a "donation" of $20 which sounded better than a parking charge! It was a short walk to the Raceway through one of many camp sites, with breakfasts being made all around and beer tins cracked open already. Several people were very welcoming shouting out greetings as I was walking through and when I answered back in my very English accent it took me nearly an hour to pry myself away from offers of beer, breakfast and accomodation. The Southern states do seem very taken with the English, but do seem to think I must be a personal friend of Simon Cowell!

I took a good look around the huge array of merchandise and got a radio headset/ear defender which actually was a bit of an error, I should have got a scanner or Nextel TV gadget as the radio station was too faint to be heard while the cars were racing but I get ahead of myself. Bought my tickets through TicketMaster as I could not get StubHub to work with a UK address and Ticketmaster had a pickup service called Will Call based on site. The tickets were picked up no problem but I needed photo ID (thank goodness I had remembered to bring my passport. Also in Tennessee you need photo ID to buy alchohol if you are under 40! (which unfortunately I am)

The circuit is on quite a hill and when laden down with cameras, coats (quite chilly in the morining) and drinks got quite exhausting but if you do give up there are plenty of free shuttles about the place. As the seating is raked very steeply the stairs to the seats are quite spectacular, especially if you are on one of the upper terraces although some have elevators. I was in the grandstand which is bench seating and gets quite friendly when it gets full. Your bags and stuff needs to be able to be fitted under the seat and is limited to 14" wide.

I missed the Nationwide qualifying as I was faffing about looking around etc. but when I finally sat down it was in time for the Sprint Car warm up or happy hour as one of the chaps sitting near me called it. This is when the noise hits you. It is like being at a continuous drag race which was my nearest comparison to date. The speed is impressive but up at row 60 where I was it nothing special, however when I walked down to the trackside to take picture my view changed. You can stand only a few feet from where the cars are on the straightaway and the closing speed is probably 130 or so and it hits you like a punch, very cool indeed but the ear defenders have never been so needed in my life!

I just had a whale of a time snapping away and after the warm up a few drivers including Montoya and Dale jr were visible and as I had borrowed a 400mm lens I could get fairly clear snaps of them.

The start of the days main event was quite moving in a way compared with a std UK track meet. They held a prayer for the Drivers and crowd and then an unknown (to me) boy band sang the Star Bangled Banner - bit weird not seeing the crowd singing along as you would for the UK Nat Anthem but there you go. The famous phrase, "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" rang out and on went the ear muffs! I had alway though a rolling start would be a bit of a let down but actually it had its own tension, slowly building up speed and the two groups of cars merging and finally when they got the green flag the place erupted like a Man U goal at Trafford Park.

I will be honest and say the race was a bit boring to me and I struggled with identifying with any driver. However as Kyle Busch seemed to be so unpopular there (jeers and boos at any opportunity) I thought he would be a good one to pick. Looked like being a great choice for a while as he was clearly the quickest out there until the tyre screw up - see post above. However the way he picked his way from the back of the line up to 6th place was very enjoyable. Prob needed another 50 laps to make it to the top again though. The skill of the guys racing also took me back a bit as I had assumed that it was just turning left all the time and a bit basic, but is was very clear that the skill of finessing a heavy stock car around that tight track was very high indeed. It was also noticable the car differences when I watch both the Nationwide and Sprint Cars

I find myself a bit gutted I will not be there tomorrow for the Sprint Race as I feel I know some of the names better and would follow the race better but so be it. If I find myself in NASCAR country again for a weekend I will certainly pay another visit.

Thanks for listening

Excellent post! I'm not much a NASCAR fan (though I used to be 'back in the day') but it's cool to read a 'totally' different perspective. I can see where to non-Americans NASCAR could be an interesting experience, and probably not too far from being an acquired taste...much like F1 is to many Americans. Glad you enjoyed your day...but honestly isn't it hard not to enjoy any day at any race track?! ;)

#41 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 15:39

Originally posted by ZenSpeed
Who is NASCAR?

Good Question

Once upon a time, I would have probably written something erudite about stock car racing and its history, but these days I just think to myself, "Just another forum moron, whose idea of fun is spending hours at a time on the internet, with the eternal mental age of maybe 12, and who using his anonymity as a way of insulting people as he is really a chickenshit, all this as his brain dissolves into softsoap from staring at the computer screen."

Not that, dear me, I would actually ever write something such as that, of course.

#42 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 16:05

whens the start for the cup race?:)

and im glad the visitor enjoyed it :D, pm me if u need hosting for the pics ;)

#43 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 16:23

I didn't know all 5 wins from Kurt Busch at Bristol came at the expense of wrecking and/or bumping the leader out of the way..

#44 John B

John B

• 7,954 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 16:25

I think the total for Kyle Busch wins since 2004 is 46 in the three top divisions. And there have been a ton of misfortunes like he had yesterday - some his own errors, like the nationwide Vegas race, some out of his control - that could have added another 20.

Off to check the start time....

#45 grackle

grackle

• 279 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 16:42

pingu666: the green flag will be at 2:15 eastern with Fox's prerace starting at 1:30.

#46 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 16:47

Hi All
Thanks for listening

excellent.. :up:

#47 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 17:11

ill haveto find a stream in a few mins :)

#48 wide-front-wing

wide-front-wing

• 509 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 17:49

this pre-race stuff is painful...

#49 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 18:00

The good news for me is that Mickey Blue Eyes and a hockey game are also on as far as pre-race stuff.

I see 2:16 listed as the approximate green flag time. The radios fire up right before the command to start engines is given so for me I plan on tuning in 5-10 mins before that.

Oh and more good news: I haven't seen any reference to Digger yet.

#50 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 18:12

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps

Once upon a time, I would have probably written something erudite about stock car racing and its history, but these days I just think to myself, "Just another forum moron, whose idea of fun is spending hours at a time on the internet, with the eternal mental age of maybe 12, and who using his anonymity as a way of insulting people as he is really a chickenshit, all this as his brain dissolves into softsoap from staring at the computer screen."

Not that, dear me, I would actually ever write something such as that, of course.

You would never do that Don. You are too cultured, kind, and a true racing historian. You would never waste your time insulting and lampooning popcorn box experts and forum morons. But I would...... I'm not any of those things.