Photo

Any newbies around here started with GP Legends?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 18:55

I finally have been able to run GP Legends without software glitches on a pc (thanx Mac for Bootcamp). So for the first time, I have been able to put some real time in it. Ofcourse I am slow. But I am able to lap around pretty consistent now... but slow. When I look around the internet for some tips or video's most players drive around 20 seconds faster than me. It is no help, because it is imcomparable...

So... are there any GP Legends newbies here that would like to chat about times, setups and other stuff? For example, my best time at Rouen is 2.09.25.

Hoping to hear ya...

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 14:30

Chezrome, please check your Private Messages.

#3 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:17

Just in case other GP Legends Newbies still open this thread: yesterday I posted a 1.23xx at Kyalamy. In the race! So I am mighty proud about myself. Strange thing is I am hardly faster with empty tank than with quite a lot of fuel. (Above time I posted with about 12 laps worth of fuel aboard). My qualifying tim for the race was two seconds slower...

If anyone has a tip about that, I am glad to hear it.

#4 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:18

Just in case other GP Legends Newbies still open this thread: yesterday I posted a 1.23xx at Kyalamy. In the race! So I am mighty proud about myself. Strange thing is I am hardly faster with empty tank than with quite a lot of fuel. (Above time I posted with about 12 laps worth of fuel aboard). My qualifying time for the race was two seconds slower...

If anyone has a tip about that, I am glad to hear it.

#5 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:43

I run a league that also has drivers who are doing you times at Kyalami , erm by that i mean me ,lol. :lol:

See here-;

http://www.gbsimraci...apper&Itemid=47

Division Free is aimed at the the newbie or beginner, where only they start on the grid and the rest start from the pit lane and are a lap down depending on the track. Only the registered Div Free driver score regardless if they are beaten by the pit lane starters.
Mostly on the Papy tracks as well .

Pete

#6 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 22:21

Originally posted by petestenning
I run a league that also has drivers who are doing you times at Kyalami , erm by that i mean me ,lol. :lol:

See here-;

http://www.gbsimraci...apper&Itemid=47

Division Free is aimed at the the newbie or beginner, where only they start on the grid and the rest start from the pit lane and are a lap down depending on the track. Only the registered Div Free driver score regardless if they are beaten by the pit lane starters.
Mostly on the Papy tracks as well .

Pete

Thank you Pete. Perhaps I will join... if I practised 1000 hours or so! My times aren't so bad, I'm about 3secs of Clark (well, the AI-version, but I almost have to strangle myself driving that fast. When I drive around at a pace I am consistent, I am about two or three seconds slower... and I can't really tell what I am doing really different then. AFAIK, the only difference is intensity. Interesting, no?

#7 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:21

3.36 at Spa... and still in 14th place on the grid. How on earth...

#8 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:38

Chezrome, you know that you can reduce the speed of the A.I. cars, don't you?

For me it's a MUST if I want to enjoy racing them.

BUT, don't overdue the reduction or they will all follow one another around like a crocodile!

#9 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:32

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Chezrome, you know that you can reduce the speed of the A.I. cars, don't you?

For me it's a MUST if I want to enjoy racing them.

BUT, don't overdue the reduction or they will all follow one another around like a crocodile!

Yeah, I know I can do that by working on the Core.ini file. But GP Legends is working beautifully now, and I am afraid I screw it up by changing anything.

On top of that, I did it once and the AI cars had the same laptimes as me by reducing the topspeed on the straights. That is good for some scary racing! You storm out of the corner, and there's Clark waiting for you, in the middle of the track. 'Think you can outsmart me in the corner, laddie?'

#10 Souffle

Souffle

• 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 15:36

In GEM2, the console/control panel for '65-'69, Thunder Cars mods., the AI are easily adjusted with a click.

http://gem.ebi-service.de/

iGOR there is for online racing connection for mods., VROC for '67s: http://www.vroc.net/

Get everything at www.GPLLinks.net , (especially the 60fps addon ) :up:

#11 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 17:26

Thanx Souffle

I'll try the GEM-editor shortly. I have dared to work in the Core.ini file, GP Legends still works fine, luckily, but the AI cars are slow in an akward way. I used to use GP3 editor a lot with Gp3, and you know what I did there? I tested how fast the AI cars were, compared it to my times, and then tried to manipulate the AI cars thus that the fastest car would drive as fast as my toptime. Sometimes I would dominate the race, sometimes the AI cars drove circles around me.

I'll see what I can do in Legends. It's a bit early for editors perhaps. Yesterday I absolute drove my brains out at the Ring, and still could not come close to the 9 minutes...

PS: Any people around here find the Advanced Trainers more difficult than the GP Cars? I sometimes by accident do trainingrounds in them and then only notice I am driving more crap than usual, I have put myself in the trainer. I don't know, the GP cars just are more easy to correct with the throttle...

EDIT: To notice: I just turned in a 3.32.79 at Spa. Yahoo!

#12 Two Jags

Two Jags

• 75 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:10

Thanx Souffle

I'll try the GEM-editor shortly. I have dared to work in the Core.ini file, GP Legends still works fine, luckily, but the AI cars are slow in an akward way. I used to use GP3 editor a lot with Gp3, and you know what I did there? I tested how fast the AI cars were, compared it to my times, and then tried to manipulate the AI cars thus that the fastest car would drive as fast as my toptime. Sometimes I would dominate the race, sometimes the AI cars drove circles around me.

I'll see what I can do in Legends. It's a bit early for editors perhaps. Yesterday I absolute drove my brains out at the Ring, and still could not come close to the 9 minutes...

PS: Any people around here find the Advanced Trainers more difficult than the GP Cars? I sometimes by accident do trainingrounds in them and then only notice I am driving more crap than usual, I have put myself in the trainer. I don't know, the GP cars just are more easy to correct with the throttle...

EDIT: To notice: I just turned in a 3.32.79 at Spa. Yahoo!

Chezrome - do you use GPL Rank? I found it an excellent way to improve my times & compare how I am doing to everybody else.

http://gplrank.schue...pub/gplrank.php

I would also recommend joining an online league. A lot of them run novice leagues for newcomers to GPL - PM me if you want details or need any advice.

#13 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:30

Thank you Pete. Perhaps I will join... if I practised 1000 hours or so! My times aren't so bad, I'm about 3secs of Clark (well, the AI-version, but I almost have to strangle myself driving that fast. When I drive around at a pace I am consistent, I am about two or three seconds slower... and I can't really tell what I am doing really different then. AFAIK, the only difference is intensity. Interesting, no?

Hello. This is my first time here. I've been practising at Spa for more than a month every day and now i've got 3.20.30. As some others say, i'm very proud of it, and i would like to share it with you (i don't know anybody "real" who is interested in GPL). My problem now is with the starts, as i have no clutch pedal, and so , i lose 2 or 3 positions. Any advice?

#14 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:35

Not guilty:

The only remedy for slow starts is using manual gears. Start your race in neutral, rev up just untill the redline... and when the flag drops, gear up in first gear.

I'd have to say I am not good at that. I drive with throttle help and brakeassist 'off', but with the automatic gears on. Only for the start I use manual gears (and then I press F16, switch autogear on) and go on my merry way.

Spa is one of my better tracks. My best time is around 3.20 too now. I lose a lot of time at the Bus stop, though. The AI cars gain a lot on me there, but when I brake a little bit later than halfway the first distanceboard (so around at 150 metres), I spin.

Edited by Chezrome, 31 May 2009 - 09:37.

#15 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 19:43

[quote name='Chezrome' date='May 31 2009, 11:35' post='3670322']

Hello, again.
Thanks for the advice. I've been testing different solutions and the best that i've found is to start with first gear on when the car is still stopped, and then accelerate as much as i can when the flag falls. If i try with the clutch button pressed, when i release it, revs fall dramatically down. I've also tried splitting the steering wheel brake and throttle axis, but results are worse.
About your spins at Bus stop, let me tell you that manual gearing is much better to increase the car control, specially when braking.If you shift down manually before Bus stop, you will be able to avoid, or at least minimize,your spins.Try it!

#16 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:20

...for the start I use manual gears (and then I press F16, switch autogear on) and go on my merry way.

What?? What keyboard has an F16 key? I've never heard of being able to switch between auto and manual in-car in GPL.

Are you talking about Grand Prix Legends?

#17 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 20:42

What?? What keyboard has an F16 key? I've never heard of being able to switch between auto and manual in-car in GPL.

Are you talking about Grand Prix Legends?

Yep, absolutely. I tell you, I've driven hundred of laps without even knowing the pause button excisted. Pretty stressfull when you are racing and your wife calls you for something. Then I discovered the pause button. BTW: I used Bootcamp on my Mac to install Windows, and then installed GP Legends. And on my keyboard F16 (it's really there!) pauses the game.

So what do I do?

a. I start the race.
b. Wait for a straight
c. Press f16 (or pause).
d. Go to Options (I believe F3 or F2, I always mix them up)
e. Switch manual to automatic.
f. Return to game
g. Resume race

Edited by Chezrome, 03 June 2009 - 20:43.

#18 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 20:44

And oh, thanks for the tip, Not Guilty. I don't allow myself to race GP LEgends now, much too busy. But in a couple of weeks I return to my trusty Eagle.

#19 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:39

I am a keen racer of GPL. I have owned it since 1998 and still think it is the best racing sim I have tried.
The graphics are now much better thanks to the user updates. Over 500 tracks are now available.

Advertisement

#20 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:06

Hello: Maybe most of you have done it before, but I have to announce that 42 years and 3 days after it really took place, i have won the Belgian Grand Prix with a Lotus, in 1:36:06. Oh my God, i'm so happy!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
If i knew how to insert an image, i would have posted the Gran Prix News front page

#21 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 21:42

Hello: Maybe most of you have done it before, but I have to announce that 42 years and 3 days after it really took place, i have won the Belgian Grand Prix with a Lotus, in 1:36:06. Oh my God, i'm so happy!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
If i knew how to insert an image, i would have posted the Gran Prix News front page

I know exactly how you feel, I ran 50 practice laps around monza today in Lotus49, recently I reinvented my driving style I used to slide a lot but now I'm braking in I found a perfect driving style that knocked nearly 2 seconds of my persolan best times. Today I played with ramp angles and went for 60/30 for that monza practice at first the car was nervous but then I nursed it and by ursing it I managed 1:29.60, while before my pb was 1:30.50 and before I reinvented my driving style it was 1:31.86 can you imagine. I shift as seldom as possible I never shift in the corner and before I used to do it a lot because in the sims that replicate modern day racing it is normal, it took me 4 years to actually learn to shift properly. Today I did 50 practice laps I ran like a chronometer all the laps were around 1:30 sometimes I did even 3 laps in succesion wit identical time amazing, not a single spin nothing, I onle clipped a kerb in first lesmo a bit but didnt spun.

#22 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 21:54

So... are there any GP Legends newbies here that would like to chat about times, setups and other stuff? For example, my best time at Rouen is 2.09.25.

Hoping to hear ya...

key for a good rouen time is a last corner you can gain up to 3 and lose up to 6 seconds. It looks medium speed but it is really a fast corner you just have to take it right. Do not bother with the downill section after S/F straight you just nurse the car there it only looks fast but its really tricky expecially the approach to hairpin, than after hairpin you nail it try to be fast through the left hander and shift int the first gear in the next slower uphill lefthander, than tou have two right handers one slower but still fast and the other one a long sweep keep the car as calm as possible through there do not slide just lift the throttle after the first experience of understeer the car wil point in again. Than you approach the pneultimate corner, this is tricky because there isnt really any brake markers but start braking only after you pass the tree on the left side, take the corner in 2nd and speed up to ultimate corner (the crucial one) before the corner shift down to 4th and just touch the brake and nail the gas as soon as possible, later do not even lift the gas pedal keep the gas while just touching brake. Set the car up to be understeery (tight) that is also important, you cannot afford to have loose car there

Edited by brabhamBT19, 21 June 2009 - 21:54.

#23 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 22:56

First and foremost is learning to brake correctly and keeping the speed up through the entry of the corner. Almost every exits the corner in the same way, the entry is what matters.

#24 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 17:29

I know exactly how you feel, I ran 50 practice laps around monza today in Lotus49, recently I reinvented my driving style I used to slide a lot but now I'm braking in I found a perfect driving style that knocked nearly 2 seconds of my persolan best times. Today I played with ramp angles and went for 60/30 for that monza practice at first the car was nervous but then I nursed it and by ursing it I managed 1:29.60, while before my pb was 1:30.50 and before I reinvented my driving style it was 1:31.86 can you imagine. I shift as seldom as possible I never shift in the corner and before I used to do it a lot because in the sims that replicate modern day racing it is normal, it took me 4 years to actually learn to shift properly. Today I did 50 practice laps I ran like a chronometer all the laps were around 1:30 sometimes I did even 3 laps in succesion wit identical time amazing, not a single spin nothing, I onle clipped a kerb in first lesmo a bit but didnt spun.

I agree with you. In GPL I try to shift down the less that i can, and only to gain force, but not to reduce the speed. One of the things that make me happier of my victory at SPA is that i've been able to spend more than an hour and a half with a very high degree of concentration, almost errorless. I now have 1:19.60 as my best lap, but i know that there are some "superguys" around 6 or 7 seconds faster. I'll keep on trying

#25 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 17:35

key for a good rouen time is a last corner you can gain up to 3 and lose up to 6 seconds. It looks medium speed but it is really a fast corner you just have to take it right. Do not bother with the downill section after S/F straight you just nurse the car there it only looks fast but its really tricky expecially the approach to hairpin, than after hairpin you nail it try to be fast through the left hander and shift int the first gear in the next slower uphill lefthander, than tou have two right handers one slower but still fast and the other one a long sweep keep the car as calm as possible through there do not slide just lift the throttle after the first experience of understeer the car wil point in again. Than you approach the pneultimate corner, this is tricky because there isnt really any brake markers but start braking only after you pass the tree on the left side, take the corner in 2nd and speed up to ultimate corner (the crucial one) before the corner shift down to 4th and just touch the brake and nail the gas as soon as possible, later do not even lift the gas pedal keep the gas while just touching brake. Set the car up to be understeery (tight) that is also important, you cannot afford to have loose car there

That particular corner I am pretty good at, I go really fast through there. I have the most problems with the hairpin. I lose a lot of time to the AI-cars there. I am either too careful, or to brash. And then I spin out. I have the same problem with La Source at Spa.

#26 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 18:44

That particular corner I am pretty good at, I go really fast through there. I have the most problems with the hairpin. I lose a lot of time to the AI-cars there. I am either too careful, or to brash. And then I spin out. I have the same problem with La Source at Spa.

harpin is tricky because you have to brake for it before you actually see it, because there is that left hander that could be taken much faster if there wasnt hairpin after it. thats the trick you just forget about left hander that preceedes the hairpin and focus on hairpin only. remember to shift into 1st gear on the exit of hairpin because its uphill and those cars arent really good on uphill sections

Edited by brabhamBT19, 22 June 2009 - 18:45.

#27 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 15:21

I found my GPL CD yesterday and reinstalled it for the first time in many years. When it first came out my PC was a bit under-powered so I got precisely nowhere with it... starting a lap took forever and the frame rate was pitiful just for testing - a race would run at about one frame every few seconds if any other car needed to be drawn!

Anyway, after running the installer, digging out my steering wheel (to the displeasure of my wife) and getting the thing rolling, I managed a handful of crashes before having to do something else. I think the game deserves some proper effort though, now that I don't have to hide behind a shortage of processing power.

After finding those few laps a lot easier than I remember, it did strike me later that the aids were all turned on. Presumably I might as well try to learn two different games than spend too much time with the brakes and accelerator help turned on. I will try to put some time in this evening and see if I can make any progress... maybe even string together a couple of laps where I'm always pointing forwards and running exclusively on the tarmac, or is that a bit too ambitious?

#28 F3Wrench

F3Wrench

• 98 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:08

Thanks for all the tips on GPL, I'll try some of these to try and get my lap times down! I am just getting to grips with Rouen, after not too an auspicious race at Monza - 7 seconds off the pace, 5th after the 6 laps as a novice :( . By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to replay an entire race, like GTL? I like to check my lines through the corners and braking points etc.

My problem is that it's getting difficult to decide which to devote my limited recreational time to - GT Legends or Grand Prix legends! I can get some amazing results in my Elan 26R, left the heavy machinery in the dust at Spa yesterday...

#29 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:43

My problem is that it's getting difficult to decide which to devote my limited recreational time to - GT Legends or Grand Prix legends!

GPL all the way

GTL sux, the biggest downturn are modern day tracks and fps hungry graphics

#30 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:47

Switched force feedback on last night. That suddenly makes it into a whole different kettle of fish! When you can feel what the wheels want to do you get far more chance of keeping the car in the right direction. It's shameful how long I had all the equipment to show the game as it should be but never gave it the chance. I ditched the brake and accelerator aids without any unexpected difficulty anyway.

I tend to practice in the intermediate car, but would I be as well to stick with the full GP car as the races seem to be in that? I tried a race at Monza so was caught out by suddenly going 15 seconds a lap faster than I was used to without even thinking about it (still dog slow of course) and struggled every time in to the Parabolica with the rear coming around when I got off the brakes... partly that will be that I was still going in too fast, but perhaps some tinkering with the setup will work wonders there too - it sounded like I was bottoming out or something in a few places, so there is plenty to do on that!

#31 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 14:06

.... By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to replay an entire race, like GTL? I like to check my lines through the corners and braking points etc.

Yes it is.

You simply need to 'save' your replay for future use. When in the menu in between sessions (with the smallish replay and such) you can hit the button that looks like a file folder and it will allow you to save the file. -- And when you're done, you will find there's better than replays : you want, you need , GPL Replay Analyzer by J. Matton and M. Granberg. Go to the site linked, marvel at the screenshots and then download it, it's a must have. Really.

... and struggled every time in to the Parabolica with the rear coming around when I got off the brakes... partly that will be that I was still going in too fast, but perhaps some tinkering with the setup will work wonders there too - it sounded like I was bottoming out or something in a few places, so there is plenty to do on that!

One thing I've always felt when driving round the Para is that this piece of road is heavily crowned. So try to really be really stable and coasting when you transition from exterior-left to apex...

#32 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:55

Silverstone last night. Delighted by a race where I came 15th, but more importantly strung together three consecutive laps within two tenths of my fastest time... still only 1:41s but if I could avoid binning it on most of the other laps it could have been a top ten finish... maybe. Four hours in to the learning curve and maybe within a few months I will be able to run for ten laps without bending the car!

#33 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:26

this is a great game but I am so bad at it. Like a lot of people I just end up spinning too much to enjoy it. I play with the keyboard and can get a few laps round silverstone or others but spin on a lot of other laps and my times are too slow. Guess I need to spend a day or so with practice and then get better but never get the time for that. Even tried Avus with two corners but not much better at that place either.

I think I am running the 65 cars which slide a lot but are great fun. Not sure if they are the standard ones as I added in a few mods like the wing cars but found they didn't offer much more grip and had too much power

#34 F3Wrench

F3Wrench

• 98 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:44

GPL all the way

GTL sux, the biggest downturn are modern day tracks and fps hungry graphics

Think I might be with you on that brabhamBT19, but only because the performance of the AI cars in GTL are so unrealistic. No, I don't mean just faster than me, but they don't conform to the laws of physics. E.g., Imola, 2nd corner before the chicane at the end of the lap, I'm really flying and sliding across the apex accelerating in 3rd, when a Corvette drives round the outside of me, onto the grass/gravel, and turns back onto the track and disappears into the distance. And I am really hacked off with the Elan I was dicing with for 5 laps suddenly pulling away and gaining 5 seconds on me lap after lap! Hit a secret nitro button?
At least GPL seems to understand lateral g-forces and relative performance between the cars...

And MaxScelerate, many thanks for the tip about the GPL Replay Analyzer! Definitely going to give that a whirl tonight :drunk: !!

#35 F3Wrench

F3Wrench

• 98 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:55

I play with the keyboard and can get a few laps round silverstone or others but spin on a lot of other laps and my times are too slow.

Keyboard? Get a wheel and pedals, I couldn't stay on for a 100 yards using just the keyboard! It's a whole new experience with a wheel, especially with force feedback. I have a rather old Logitech NASCAR wheel which was quite cheap and works fine, but you can get some really good ones on Ebay for about £50-£70.

And one thing I've found is that it takes time to learn GPL, and I agree it's a bit frustrating to find you can't stay on the track or put in decent times; but hey, they are F1's from the 60's and SHOULD be difficult to drive! Hang in there, and you'll find it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

#36 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 13:12

Keyboard? Get a wheel and pedals, I couldn't stay on for a 100 yards using just the keyboard! It's a whole new experience with a wheel, especially with force feedback. I have a rather old Logitech NASCAR wheel which was quite cheap and works fine, but you can get some really good ones on Ebay for about £50-£70.

And one thing I've found is that it takes time to learn GPL, and I agree it's a bit frustrating to find you can't stay on the track or put in decent times; but hey, they are F1's from the 60's and SHOULD be difficult to drive! Hang in there, and you'll find it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I did try this with a logitech wheel which I don't have access to at the moment. My main problems with wheels is I never liked the pedals. Always sort of ended up with my feet hanging in mid air above the pedals which wasn't natural. Hope I have explained that ok. Want to get a G25 but not got the funds for that at the moment

#37 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 23:17

dont expct miracles when you switch from keys to wheel. Its not like youre going to gain 5 seconds (I assume thats how much you are missing ATM) instead expect a drop in further 2 seconds. than when you find yourself 7 seconds off pac eyou will realize you have to reinvent your dirving style. It took me 4 years. It is all because we were all used to play winged cars in sims prior to GPL. But GPL is another planet really, like different laws of phisics. But then you will actually figure that all other sims are completely unrealistic. So until you reinvent your drivin style keyboard will be just fin, besides with keyboard you wont loose back end so frequently as with wheel. Just remember to adjust steering rate high around 20:1, everything under is too nervous and is suitable only for 65 mod

#38 F3Wrench

F3Wrench

• 98 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 13:24

And when you're done, you will find there's better than replays : you want, you need , GPL Replay Analyzer by J. Matton and M. Granberg. Go to the site linked, marvel at the screenshots and then download it, it's a must have. Really.

Just want to say a big thank you to MaxScelerate for putting me onto GPL Replay Analyser. What a brilliant piece of software, and what a great way to make positive improvements to driving skills :clap: . Again, many thanks! :)

#39 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 20:16

Hey, you're welcome.

That's the great thing with digital things, you can share to your heart content and then some more and still enjoy no loss to your booty. :p

Edited by MaxScelerate, 20 July 2009 - 20:16.

Advertisement

#40 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:33

How hot is too hot for the tyre temperatures? I felt like I was losing grip at the rear after a few laps on a tweaked set-up. The main screen showed that the current temperatures were around 220 degrees, but I don't know if my perceived loss of grip was actually due to excessive heat in the tyres or just a poorly balanced car/ragged driving style.

#41 Souffle

Souffle

• 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 00:22

Not sure what max. temp. is but Pribluda utility: http://wiki.grandpri...Utilities_Guide , can show at a glance with color code when tires have hit red and will lose traction.

-Greg

#42 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 15:28

The optimum tire temperatures vary with each mod. As Souffle says, the new Pribluda at http://www.amirkamal...e.html#contents shows the actual tire grip level (default is - green is optimal, blue is too cold and red is too hot)

Edited by simpson, 03 August 2009 - 15:29.

#43 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 15:31

The optimum tire temperatures vary with each mod. As Souffle says, the new Pribluda at http://www.amirkamal...e.html#contents shows the actual tire grip level (default is - green is optimal, blue is too cold and red is too hot)

Hello: I cant warm up my tyres above 100 KPa. I've tried everything but it is always the same. In every circuit, from Monaco to Monza, and with any kind of setup. What am i doing wrong? TIA

#44 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:06

I'm not familiar with metric pressures, but Pribluda measures the tire temperature. The default setups start at around 130 to 150 kPa, so I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

I also have trouble getting tire temperatures up to the optimum, but it seems that driving faster and drifting more will get them hotter. In other words, like me, you're probably driving too conservatively. It's easier said than done to go faster/harder while keeping the car under control though.

#45 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 19:06

I'm not familiar with metric pressures, but Pribluda measures the tire temperature. The default setups start at around 130 to 150 kPa, so I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

I also have trouble getting tire temperatures up to the optimum, but it seems that driving faster and drifting more will get them hotter. In other words, like me, you're probably driving too conservatively. It's easier said than done to go faster/harder while keeping the car under control though.

Yes. I'm not familiar with pressure measures in general (nor english, nor metric) ;) , but you're talking the right thing. When i go out from boxes tires are 22 Kpa and they become hotter when driving until certain temperature /pressure that is always below the default values that you mention (blue in Pribluda). I use to do about 15 laps. Maybe i need more. Of course, i could be more agressive, but as you say, this is not easy, and i'm afraid Mr. Chapman will sack me in a few days if i go on crashing his superb Lotus. I've started recently with GPL (may09), and my hotlaps are: 3:19,6 in SPA, 1:27,1 in Monaco and 1:30,6 in Monza. These are the only circuits i've trained.
I think these times are not that bad for a newcomer like me, but i will accept your advise and push harder, unless we find some sort of Philosopher's Stone

#46 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:32

At Monaco, you can't slide much without hitting the walls. At Spa and Monza, there aren't that many corners but the straights are long, so the tires won't heat up too much. You're faster than me at Monaco, so I can't really give you driving tips.

To get hotter tires, try circuits like Watkins Glen or Zandvoort. There's also a skid pad called Undies Skid Pad (I don't know why it's named that) where you can practice your drifting. See http://gpltd.bcsims.com/ > Serach > Track search > Search > U

#47 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:20

At Monaco, you can't slide much without hitting the walls. At Spa and Monza, there aren't that many corners but the straights are long, so the tires won't heat up too much. You're faster than me at Monaco, so I can't really give you driving tips.

To get hotter tires, try circuits like Watkins Glen or Zandvoort. There's also a skid pad called Undies Skid Pad (I don't know why it's named that) where you can practice your drifting. See http://gpltd.bcsims.com/ > Serach > Track search > Search > U

Well, thank you again. I'll try to improve my skidding technique, though after so many years of "modern cars" simulators, from Crammond's GP1 to rFactor, trying to avoid sliding, it won't be easy for me. I will also need to learn all this stuff about mods, getting new tracks, GEM, etc. (i have an almost plain installation of the original GPL game). BTW, I presume you are the same Bob Simpson that has produced so much GPL stuff, am I right?

#48 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 23:18

I guess that my only claim to fame is creating the huge GPL FAQ ( http://wiki.grandpri...eshooting_guide ) and being Mr. Answer Man when people have trouble getting GPL going. I seem to have a mind for trivia. I've done some Beta testing, but haven't really produced anything that you can use in GPL.

#49 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:55

I guess that my only claim to fame is creating the huge GPL FAQ ( http://wiki.grandpri...eshooting_guide ) and being Mr. Answer Man when people have trouble getting GPL going. I seem to have a mind for trivia. I've done some Beta testing, but haven't really produced anything that you can use in GPL.

Anyway it seems that you have helped a lot of people only for the pleasure of helping, and this is not so "normal", so, congratulations for your work. Knowing that, Mr. Answer Man :) , I guess i will need to make you some questions from now on!

#50 JdB

JdB

• 3,418 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 18:57

Hey ppl !!
I just saw the thread, and i'm a gpl-list too (it almost sounds like an addiction  ;) ). I used to play the game for hours and hours , but my pc zucked, so i wasn't any good at it. My next pc was better, and with a Guillemot Force Feedback steering wheel the game was awesome !! I played it so much, i literally drove my steering wheel to pieces. Now i have a really cheap one, which just doesn't do the game much justice.
When i read the thread , the urge surfaced, and i dug up the game, and installed it, but unfortunately, it's effed-up. I can't drive it without crashing the game, so unfortunately, i won't be able to join you all. :cry:
Does anyone know if VROC is still alive ? Maybe i'll dig up one of my old pc's (i never throw stuff away), and install it there ...

Good luck, and stay out of trouble !!

gr.Jeroen