Jump to content


Photo

Melbourne GP Broadcast Schedule - Australia (VERY PLEASED)


  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 22 March 2009 - 22:34

As taken from ten forums from a post.

Looks like we will be getitng some decent coverage of the F1 this year, or maybe ONE attempts to win us over with its first weekend of coverage then screws us over as the season goes on. Anyways i have details for Friday and Saturday telecast of the Australian GP.

Friday 27th March Practice Live (Exclusive to ONE) Mel/Syd 12pm-7pm, Bris 11am-6pm, Ade 11:30am-6:30pm, Per 10am-5pm Formula 1

Saturday 28th March Formula 1 Qualifying Live Mel/Syd 12pm-6:05pm, Bris 11am-5:05pm, Ade 11:30am-5:35pm, Per 10am-4:05pm

Saturday 28th March V8 Supercar Race Syd/Mel 6:05pm-7:30pm, Bris 5:05pm-6:30pm, Ade 5:35pm-6:30pm, Per 4:05pm-5:30pm

Saturday 28th March Qualifying Highlights (Exclusive to ONE) Syd/Mel 11pm-12am, Bris/Ade 10:30pm-11:30pm, Per 9pm-10pm

Once i have Sundays lineup will post here.
===================================================================================

this is great news, we're getting friday practice LIVE this season not just highlights of FP1 and a delayed FP2

One other thing, i thought ONE HD was launched in April? yet i saw highlights of the swimming on the news with the ONE HD logo in the corner? What channel is it? or does TEN HD just change logos when sport is on or something?

Thankyou :clap: :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#2 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 22 March 2009 - 22:41

I just turned TEN HD on and an ad for ONE HD came on saying 3 days to go, looks like it will be launched on Thursday, PERFECT timing for the F1 season :) jeeze i hope channel TEN dont screw us after starting off well. I hope they just use the BBC commentary and feed.

#3 mark f1

mark f1
  • Member

  • 1,871 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 22 March 2009 - 22:47

One HD is launched this Thursday at 7:30. They have been showing a preview for the last 2 weeks, showing the swimming and some extra events like NASCAR and Golf.

One HD will be shown in HD on channel 1 and will also be shown in SD on channel 12.

Mark

#4 Exar Kun

Exar Kun
  • Member

  • 1,169 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 22 March 2009 - 22:47

Fantastic for you people in the bigger cities but for us in smaller places (calling Canberra 'regional' seems a bit stupid) we are still stuck with the standard definition broadcast for the forseeable future. And because so many places are getting the full HD coverage, now we are even worse off than we were before... (Stupid Southern Cross Ten).

#5 Newskiller

Newskiller
  • Member

  • 64 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:01

AIUI the F1 feed is not in HD.

#6 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:05

Originally posted by Newskiller
AIUI the F1 feed is not in HD.


Nope it isn't. However, if the BBC get their way htis year, the British Grand Prix will be in HD and the japs have been filming the Jap gp in hd for a few years now. This is great news im off to buy a dvd recorder now :) Has anyone else here got foxtel iq2? The foxtel bloke who came here said the only way to get what i have recorded onto the box off of it is to get a dvd recorder and do it that way.

#7 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

  • 10,880 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:22

Good news! Hopefully we get quali lives for each round. Getting some practice sessions as well would be a bonus.

I'll be at the race so have a slightly OT question. Can you record HD channels (or even the SD channel ONE) on a DVDR?? I have a 2 year old LG dvd recorder and it only picks up the regular channels. Is there something I can do to pick up the digital channels?

#8 Mat

Mat
  • Member

  • 7,674 posts
  • Joined: January 99

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:27

Hi gez, not sure what you can do to configure your recorder if it doesnt pick the channels up. not much i would imagine!

There is a full page advert for ONE HD in the latest F1 Racing. It said that they will show all f1 sessions live for melb gp weekend as well as support category coverage, and going by the times posted above they are certainly showing everything from albert park!

The advert also said all f1 races will be live in 2009 on ONE HD and also extended pra-race buildup coverage.

So im expecting to see the sort of pre race we got for the last few races last year. And they are committed to showing all races live now which is great. Qual i thnk will get shown after Saturday night footy.

Sounds pretty good to me.

#9 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

  • 10,880 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:37

Originally posted by Mat
Hi gez, not sure what you can do to configure your recorder if it doesnt pick the channels up. not much i would imagine!

There is a full page advert for ONE HD in the latest F1 Racing. It said that they will show all f1 sessions live for melb gp weekend as well as support category coverage, and going by the times posted above they are certainly showing everything from albert park!

The advert also said all f1 races will be live in 2009 on ONE HD and also extended pra-race buildup coverage.

So im expecting to see the sort of pre race we got for the last few races last year. And they are committed to showing all races live now which is great. Qual i thnk will get shown after Saturday night footy.

Sounds pretty good to me.


I dont think i can do much about your right. I'll record the regular channel 10 coverage (Sat/Sun) though. :up:

Yeah I saw that ad in F1 Racing. Looks very promising for live GPs. I wonder if the extended pre-race may include some BBC coverage this time? I'd be happy with qualifying after the footy.

#10 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:42

Originally posted by gerry nassar
Good news! Hopefully we get quali lives for each round. Getting some practice sessions as well would be a bonus.

I'll be at the race so have a slightly OT question. Can you record HD channels (or even the SD channel ONE) on a DVDR?? I have a 2 year old LG dvd recorder and it only picks up the regular channels. Is there something I can do to pick up the digital channels?


Maybe if you have foxtel iq or iq2 you could record it onto that first, then record it off that onto disc? im not sure though, im going to pick up my first dvd recorder in about an hour, spur of the moment decision to get one after i saw most of the live stuff is on HD only, and as there's only one 60inch hd tv in the house ill have to record off that, retty cheap too, $279 at harvey norman or the good guys, with 1080p upscaling.

If anyone cares its a LG DR386D.

:)

#11 Paul McLucas

Paul McLucas
  • Member

  • 113 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:54

Originally posted by kids like ash


Nope it isn't. However, if the BBC get their way htis year, the British Grand Prix will be in HD and the japs have been filming the Jap gp in hd for a few years now. This is great news im off to buy a dvd recorder now :) Has anyone else here got foxtel iq2? The foxtel bloke who came here said the only way to get what i have recorded onto the box off of it is to get a dvd recorder and do it that way.


The Foxtel bloke was correct. The only way to get recorded stuff of an IQ or IQ2 is to play it back and record it in real-time on a DVD.

A bit of a pain really, given that it is all sitting there digitally encoded on the Hard Drive of the IQ. It would be really nice just to be able to copy the file.

#12 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 22 March 2009 - 23:58

Originally posted by Paul McLucas


The Foxtel bloke was correct. The only way to get recorded stuff of an IQ or IQ2 is to play it back and record it in real-time on a DVD.

A bit of a pain really, given that it is all sitting there digitally encoded on the Hard Drive of the IQ. It would be really nice just to be able to copy the file.


That's what i thought too, why not be able to just plug a portable usb drive into the back of the box, transfer it and bam, or have the internal memory of the box accessible so if need be you can take it somewhere and they can stick it all on disc for you.

#13 wonk123

wonk123
  • Member

  • 923 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 23 March 2009 - 00:51

Originally posted by Exar Kun
Fantastic for you people in the bigger cities but for us in smaller places (calling Canberra 'regional' seems a bit stupid) we are still stuck with the standard definition broadcast for the forseeable future. And because so many places are getting the full HD coverage, now we are even worse off than we were before... (Stupid Southern Cross Ten).


Southern Cross ten SUCK!!!
No Nascar on 10hd either.
I wrote them a letter because they don't even have an email address on their website.
that was 2 weeks ago, but no reply

#14 Mat

Mat
  • Member

  • 7,674 posts
  • Joined: January 99

Posted 23 March 2009 - 00:52

Originally posted by gerry nassar


I dont think i can do much about your right. I'll record the regular channel 10 coverage (Sat/Sun) though. :up:

Yeah I saw that ad in F1 Racing. Looks very promising for live GPs. I wonder if the extended pre-race may include some BBC coverage this time? I'd be happy with qualifying after the footy.


if you want any of the coverage, let me know, or one of the other boys. Im sure there will be plenty of us taping it!

I dont see any possibility at all of us getting BBC pre race. Im sure it will just be the network 10 boys talking for 30 mins before the race, showing us interviews with Windsor, etc like we got late last year. Im pretty sure thats all they are referring to when they say extended pre-race but i think thats pretty good.

#15 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,370 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:20

Originally posted by kids like ash


Nope it isn't. However, if the BBC get their way htis year, the British Grand Prix will be in HD and the japs have been filming the Jap gp in hd for a few years now. This is great news im off to buy a dvd recorder now :) Has anyone else here got foxtel iq2? The foxtel bloke who came here said the only way to get what i have recorded onto the box off of it is to get a dvd recorder and do it that way.


I just bought a PVR and you HAVE TO GET ONE. NEVER EVER watchjing tv without one again. Run, don't walk, to the phone and get the thing.

#16 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

  • 10,880 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:28

Originally posted by Mat


if you want any of the coverage, let me know, or one of the other boys. Im sure there will be plenty of us taping it!

I dont see any possibility at all of us getting BBC pre race. Im sure it will just be the network 10 boys talking for 30 mins before the race, showing us interviews with Windsor, etc like we got late last year. Im pretty sure thats all they are referring to when they say extended pre-race but i think thats pretty good.


Yeah that Ch10 pre-race is enough for me too.

Thanks I think I will get the recordings off you if the Friday sessions are particularily interesting and worth watching again.

#17 mark f1

mark f1
  • Member

  • 1,871 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:02

Gerry,

For only $50 for an SD STB or $90 for an HD STB, you can feed these into your DVDR and record the sessions. Just have to make sure you set the STB to the right channel beforehand, as set the DVDR to record the right input channel.

Mark

#18 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO
  • Member

  • 836 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:16

Anybody know how Foxtel are planning to integrate this new channel?

#19 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

  • 10,880 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:20

Originally posted by mark f1
Gerry,

For only $50 for an SD STB or $90 for an HD STB, you can feed these into your DVDR and record the sessions. Just have to make sure you set the STB to the right channel beforehand, as set the DVDR to record the right input channel.

Mark


Thanks Mark, I do have an STB which i havnt used. Will see what i can do :up:

Advertisement

#20 Turbo4

Turbo4
  • Member

  • 680 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:31

Whether coverage of Practice extends past the Oz GP is highly debatable.

Enjoy Ten's always stellar commitment to F1.... well for the Oz GP anyway. :rolleyes:

And SC10 sucks arse, i'm tired of apparently being a second class citizen.

#21 Raelene

Raelene
  • Member

  • 5,294 posts
  • Joined: April 99

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:34

For the Kiwis - Sky sport is also showing all practice sessions - let's hope they show them all year

#22 SchuOz

SchuOz
  • Member

  • 1,655 posts
  • Joined: August 04

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:45

Originally posted by Turbo4
Whether coverage of Practice extends past the Oz GP is highly debatable.

Enjoy Ten's always stellar commitment to F1.... well for the Oz GP anyway. :rolleyes:

And SC10 sucks arse, i'm tired of apparently being a second class citizen.


There is a full page on this in the latest F1 Racing mag.
Doesn't say anything about practise or quali sessions live beyond the Oz GP, only mentiones Pre-Race & Race - Live.

#23 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard
  • Member

  • 5,977 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:58

So the whole one/12 thing is syd/melb/bris/adl/perth right? I dont really care about the whole HD thing, but i wouldnt mind the SD version on 12.


I kinda miss C9. Atleast with them i knew ALL of us were getting shafted.

now with the whole 10HD thing, im sitting here on a sunday night, watching rove run over time then some combination of flight of the conchords/random crime show #27/random crime show #58, knowing you arseholes in the city are watching prerace shows and a live gp.

You are all heading for bed when the rest of us finally get the show on.

#24 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:37

hahaha when you put it like that, it seems pretty shite. I recorded the German GP of 2008 off my iq2 today, but the disc will only work in the dvd player that it was recorded in, may a change to the type of disc im using fix this? or is it the dvd recorder being a pork chop?

#25 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

  • 10,880 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:25

Originally posted by Nasty McBastard
So the whole one/12 thing is syd/melb/bris/adl/perth right? I dont really care about the whole HD thing, but i wouldnt mind the SD version on 12.


I kinda miss C9. Atleast with them i knew ALL of us were getting shafted.

now with the whole 10HD thing, im sitting here on a sunday night, watching rove run over time then some combination of flight of the conchords/random crime show #27/random crime show #58, knowing you arseholes in the city are watching prerace shows and a live gp.

You are all heading for bed when the rest of us finally get the show on.


I feel for you Nasty. Thats just unacceptable. :down:

Have you tried watching internet streams? Poor substitute but atleast its live.

#26 KLN

KLN
  • Member

  • 338 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:30

OK, what does

PVR and

STB

stand for.
enlighten me

Kathe

#27 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

  • 10,880 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:33

Originally posted by KLN
OK, what does

PVR and

STB

stand for.
enlighten me

Kathe


I'll let someone more technologically enlightened give you the details but I know STB stand for Set Top Box - one of the boxes you connect you if you dont have a digital tv - so you can then watch digital tv.

#28 se7en_24

se7en_24
  • Member

  • 14,160 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:08

Originally posted by Paul McLucas


The Foxtel bloke was correct. The only way to get recorded stuff of an IQ or IQ2 is to play it back and record it in real-time on a DVD.

A bit of a pain really, given that it is all sitting there digitally encoded on the Hard Drive of the IQ. It would be really nice just to be able to copy the file.

The foxtel box just records the raw satellite stream to the harddisk, so even if you could get it off it would be useless.

I'm assuming it works the same as Sky+/HD in the UK as the boxes look the same.

#29 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,370 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:08

Originally posted by KLN
OK, what does

PVR and

STB

stand for.
enlighten me

Kathe


A PVR goes by another name in OZ but I know Foxtel offer one http://www.foxtel.com.au/foxteliq/

First and foremost it offers digital recording so no disks, no vcr no hassles and no trying to sync your digital system with a DVD recorder. For this alone it is worth the $$$$, it's like saving shows to a computer hard disk and having them ready at any time.

To top it off you can pause live tv!!!!!!!! Rewind live TV!! IMHO buying a DVD recorder is pointless, I love never ever having to deal with disks or tapes again.

Best invention since the internal combustion engine.

#30 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 23 March 2009 - 19:56

I have had Foxtel IQ2HD+ for a while now, and it isnt THAT great, because you always have to delete things to create room, they should have made the memory alot bigger than it is, thus the reason for a dvd recorder, to tape the things you have recorded off, so you can whipe them from the box and record other shows/movies/sport.

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,370 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 23 March 2009 - 20:03

Originally posted by kids like ash
I have had Foxtel IQ2HD+ for a while now, and it isnt THAT great, because you always have to delete things to create room, they should have made the memory alot bigger than it is, thus the reason for a dvd recorder, to tape the things you have recorded off, so you can whipe them from the box and record other shows/movies/sport.


How many hours? I have an absolute bargain basement model and it has 60 hours. Really if you need more just record to disk.

I will hearnothing bad about PVR's, I am as happy as a dog with 2 dicks.

#32 Boing 2

Boing 2
  • Member

  • 2,433 posts
  • Joined: June 08

Posted 23 March 2009 - 20:22

i really don't get the excitement about practice coverage :confused:

bunch of cars going round and round setting meaningless times because you don't know what strategies theyre running, not racing each other and with no conclusion at the end.

i get why you'd watch it live if you were at the circuit but on tv? don't get it.

#33 djned

djned
  • Member

  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 23 March 2009 - 23:27

kathe, PVR stands for Personal Video Recorder. in australia i guess the most common type is foxtel iq, because it gets pushed with foxtel (but may not integrate with freeview as smoothly), but there are many other types out there that are more fully-featured (but may not integrate with foxtel as smoothly). another pvr you have probably heard of is tivo. a pvr uses a hard disk to record programs, allowing for endless re-recording and the ability to pause live tv. so the things to look for when you're buying one are:
1. hard drive capacity
2. pause/rewind/fast forward functionality (one of tivo's big selling points when it debuted in the US many years ago was the ability to fast forward in 30s increments to make skipping ads easier)
3. electronic program guide (epg)
the latter is a tv guide which the pvr downloads automatically (eg foxtel iq downloads the foxtel program), or in some cases you can upload it, there are people . the epg is important as it dictates your ability to record shows in advance (iq's one-touch recording of a whole season of shows is pretty nifty). here's a free one for australia: http://www.epgstream.net/

#34 djned

djned
  • Member

  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 23 March 2009 - 23:29

getting back on topic, while it's great we have this coverage (for the australian gp at least) i'm still really keen to check out what bbc are doing, especially online. all i need to do now is find an easy to use proxy server. anyone used them before?

#35 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard
  • Member

  • 5,977 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:00

Originally posted by gerry nassar


I feel for you Nasty. Thats just unacceptable. :down:

Have you tried watching internet streams? Poor substitute but atleast its live.


TBH, I just felt like a whinge :) Im 'lucky' in that my weekend is Sunday/Monday, so I just booze on a little longer, or play some warhammer until the GP starts. 10pm or 12 am really doesnt make a difference to me.

Id be pissed if I had to get up for work monday though.

Everything Ive read suggests the rest of us country bumpkins will at least get SD12 'later this year'. If thats May or November who knows.




As for the prerace coverage... I dunno, its just nice to have some build up besides cramming 2 weeks worth of news into 5 minutes. Id rather watch prerace stuff than rove. But mostly, I guess its more that if youre getting prerace, youre getting a live gp.

#36 armchair expert

armchair expert
  • Member

  • 1,926 posts
  • Joined: October 99

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:15

Will Channel 10 be using the BBC broadcast this year?
This weekend I'm sure they will use the team of local 'experts' for all the pre-race stuff, hopefully switching over to the professionals for the race itself.

#37 djned

djned
  • Member

  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:22

Originally posted by armchair expert
Will Channel 10 be using the BBC broadcast this year?
This weekend I'm sure they will use the team of local 'experts' for all the pre-race stuff, hopefully switching over to the professionals for the race itself.


damn, i forgot about that. it's been a while since i had the displeasure of watching an australian grand prix at home in australia. 22 hours (plus highlights) of grand prix weekend coverage is fantastic, but 22 hours of insightful journalism from walkley award winner mark aiston and co?

hopefully ten have looked at what the bbc will be doing and upped their game a bit - i'm optimistic about one hd lifting the standard of sportscasting at the network, although i know that's what we all thought ten hd would do last year.

#38 Witt

Witt
  • Member

  • 3,306 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:27

Originally posted by kids like ash
hahaha when you put it like that, it seems pretty shite. I recorded the German GP of 2008 off my iq2 today, but the disc will only work in the dvd player that it was recorded in, may a change to the type of disc im using fix this? or is it the dvd recorder being a pork chop?


I might be being a bit presumptive, but it sounds like you are not 'finalising' your disc after you record it. This is the norm with all dvd recorders, for the disc to work in other players it will need to be 'finalised'. There will be an option of this description in your functions/setting/options menu (differs depending on the brand). Sorry if i'm stating the obvious and you've already tried this, but hopefully this helps!

#39 Bernd

Bernd
  • Member

  • 3,307 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:45

Originally posted by Boing 2
bunch of cars going round and round setting meaningless times because you don't know what strategies theyre running, not racing each other.


Sounds a lot like the actual Grand Prix to me.

Advertisement

#40 HoldenRT

HoldenRT
  • Member

  • 5,131 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:12

Originally posted by Bernd


Sounds a lot like the actual Grand Prix to me.

Do you follow live timing?

#41 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:42

Originally posted by Witt


I might be being a bit presumptive, but it sounds like you are not 'finalising' your disc after you record it. This is the norm with all dvd recorders, for the disc to work in other players it will need to be 'finalised'. There will be an option of this description in your functions/setting/options menu (differs depending on the brand). Sorry if i'm stating the obvious and you've already tried this, but hopefully this helps!


Thankyou very much! I figured it out, well, you told me what to do, but i found the 'finalise' thingo, you have to go through like 3 menus jsut to find the bloody thing, but im glad i found it, now im going into the weekend all guns blazing :)

One thing though, i recorded in the highest quality possible, and didnt even fit a whole race onto a 4.7 gig disc thats meant to do 120mins, if i use normal quality, it should fit it all on yeah?

thanks for your help mate :) im going to bed a very happy young man haha

#42 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,370 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:18

Originally posted by Witt


I might be being a bit presumptive, but it sounds like you are not 'finalising' your disc after you record it. This is the norm with all dvd recorders, for the disc to work in other players it will need to be 'finalised'. There will be an option of this description in your functions/setting/options menu (differs depending on the brand). Sorry if i'm stating the obvious and you've already tried this, but hopefully this helps!



THis is what irks me about disks, it's been what, 15 farken years and it's still a freakin NIGHTMARE when recording. You have almost no idea what will work in what machines. They never, ever got a hold on a reliable single standard for disk recirdings like we had with tapes.

#43 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 24 March 2009 - 20:01

I still much prefer VHS over anything, you8 dont ned to buy a 'special' sort of tape so you can tape things x amount of times instead of once, but with channel 10 doing most of their coverage on ONE i dont really have a choice but to use DVD. If they had the same coverage of the weekend on the SD channel id still use tapes which i WILL be doing for the race anyway, gotta keep my tape collection going :)

#44 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,370 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 24 March 2009 - 20:06

VHS??? jesus i LOATHE them. The quality is pitiful, the tapes fail regularly, FF or RWD is SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW and you nee dto sync the damned thing with your cable provider.

A PVR is seamless, one button does it all.

#45 Witt

Witt
  • Member

  • 3,306 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:48

Originally posted by kids like ash


Thankyou very much! I figured it out, well, you told me what to do, but i found the 'finalise' thingo, you have to go through like 3 menus jsut to find the bloody thing, but im glad i found it, now im going into the weekend all guns blazing :)

One thing though, i recorded in the highest quality possible, and didnt even fit a whole race onto a 4.7 gig disc thats meant to do 120mins, if i use normal quality, it should fit it all on yeah?

thanks for your help mate :) im going to bed a very happy young man haha


Happy to have helped!

I've got a panasonic dvd recorder, and yep, i can only get 120 minutes in standard recording mode. This mode still gives me a quality i'm happy with. Depending on your recorder, you may have a Free Recording/Adjustable recording mode. This allows you to squeeze, for example, 150 minutes onto a disc, and the machine will automatically give you the best quality it can for the full 4.7 gb (which will be somewhere between SP & LP). For each GP, i record it originally to the Hard Drive, cut all the ads, then burn it to disc in FR mode to get the best bang for byte.

If you want to record to disc at the highest quality possible, you'll need to get your hands on a Blu-Ray recorder. By the time they're affordable, there will be new technology to supersede that too. :)

#46 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:50

Originally posted by Alfisti
VHS??? jesus i LOATHE them. The quality is pitiful, the tapes fail regularly, FF or RWD is SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW and you nee dto sync the damned thing with your cable provider.

A PVR is seamless, one button does it all.


Where would you be without dvd's and pvr's? VHS. its flawless, it may be old technology but at least its reliable. PVR's aren't as goopd as your making them out to be, they're only good until they reach full copacity and if you want to keep everything you hve to do what im doing now, and record them to dvd theres no way of avoiding it. If they had removable hard drives and you could just swap them over and keep everything THAT would be a HUGE thumbs up.

@ witt, can you buy bigger discs than the 4.7gigs? or not?

#47 KiwiF1

KiwiF1
  • Member

  • 399 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:36

Originally posted by Raelene
For the Kiwis - Sky sport is also showing all practice sessions - let's hope they show them all year


Its even better news for us Kiwi's, I emailed Sky and they have all intention of screening the practice sessions for all race weekends, I guess this will be as long as it fits with any other live sporting event. But at least we won't be scrabbling around looking for some internet link to watch the feed for UK viewers only. Better still we can also record ours which will be more than the viewers in the UK using the red button on their sky remotes.

#48 Alfisti

Alfisti
  • Member

  • 26,370 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:27

How often do you keep everything you record? I just watch the footy or the qualy or the missus records the soaps then we delete them. If something comes along we want to keep we just record it to disk.

VHS reliable? Anything but in my experience, the tapes there days are poor quality and fail all the time.

#49 djned

djned
  • Member

  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:54

anyone else watching the one hd launch? it's a nice bit of fluff but the hd footage is look stunning. couple of things i noticed - a very tired looking leigh diffey is being credited as a golf commentator, not motorsport. and i did chuckle when they were introducing the f1, they used a clip of james allen saying 'it's go in melbourne' - commentary ten wouldn't have used. we pedants are so annoying, aren't we? :stoned:

#50 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard
  • Member

  • 5,977 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:38

I take back my 'i dont really care' comment.

I was working on the assumption that 10 were still showing stuff on a friday, but apparently its only on 'one'. Down to 2 days coverage on standard c10.