Photo

McLaren protesting over podium

• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#1 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,838 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:21

Martin Whitmarsh says his team is protesting over Trulli's podium, they say he went off track onto the grass under the safety car and Lewis had no option but to pass, they claim they should have the podium since Trulli went off circuit momentarily.

Advertisement

#2 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:23

McLaren... "WAAAAAHHHH WAAAHHH...

Suck it up.

#3 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 818 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:24

I noticed that too, then how was Trulli ahead of Hamilton in the end? I guess he just retook his position under the safety car conditions, isn't it? If that's the case I think McLaren will be given the podium and Trulli could be penalised.

#4 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:26

Would like to see it, TV coverage completely missed this one.

#5 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:26

surely they would have checked with Charlie Whiting before allowing him back passed?

WE didn't see it but how far off track did trulli go? couple of wheels on the grass? All four?

#6 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:30

Originally posted by smartie_f1
surely they would have checked with Charlie Whiting before allowing him back passed?

Erm Spa 2008? would you ask Charlie again?

#7 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:36

according to the live feed BBC 'forum' chatter, Hamilton and Trulli are with the stewards atm discussing the incident, along with Vettel and Kubica discussing theirs.....

#8 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,794 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:43

Listening to Trulli's radio, it went like this...
Trulli went off track at turn 16 onto the grass, and Hamilton overtook him under safety car conditions.
Trulli discusses this at length with his crew, who wish to clarify whether or not it happened under safety car and yellow flags, or just before.
After half a lap or so...
Trulli gets back on the radio to say he is now in front of Hamilton. Hamilton slowed down really really really slow and Trulli went past thinking that this was what Hamilton wanted. To be sure, Trulli then slows down a lot to see if Hamilton would reovertake, but Hamilton didnt.

Given what Hamilton did, and how Trulli gave him every opportunity to be back in front, I dont see how McLaren can protest this.

#9 klyster

klyster

• 4,331 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:44

Originally posted by wrighty

Erm Spa 2008? would you ask Charlie again?

lol, yeah, for sure.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:45

Originally posted by alfa1

Given what Hamilton did, and how Trulli gave him every opportunity to be back in front, I dont see how McLaren can protest this.

Well, easily. After all, the stewards penalized Hamilton at Spa, even though he let Kimi back in front of him twice.

#11 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:46

according to the live feed BBC 'forum' chatter, Hamilton and Trulli are with the stewards atm discussing the incident, along with Vettel and Kubica discussing theirs.....

Can you give me the url?

#12 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:48

Originally posted by Enkei

Can you give me the url?

sorry its not a messageboard 'forum', its an after-race discussion on the tv, they just call it their 'forum' because it's the group of presenters together.....

#13 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:49

sorry its not a messageboard 'forum', its an after-race discussion on the tv, they just call it their 'forum' because it's the group of presenters together.....

Ok, thanks anyway :)

#14 Pep

Pep

• 1,045 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:51

Trulli went off track at turn 16 onto the grass, and Hamilton overtook him under safety car conditions.
Trulli discusses this at length with his crew, who wish to clarify whether or not it happened under safety car and yellow flags, or just before.
Trulli gets back on the radio to say he is now in front of Hamilton. Hamilton slowed down really really really slow and Trulli went past thinking that this was what Hamilton wanted. To be sure, Trulli then slows down a lot to see if Hamilton would reovertake, but Hamilton didnt.

That's funny. A competition between both for who is the slowest and to be behind. Hamilton won :rotfl: :rotfl:

#15 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor

• 2,177 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:53

Obviously Hamilton didn't pass him back because there is no way he can forget the last time he passed someone when there might have been doubts that he should do so

#16 peroa

peroa

• 8,935 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:53

Hmm, did Toyota check with race control?
Why should LH overtake JT under yellow?

And BTW, TV director was awful today, missed half the interesting stuff ...

#17 Jojodyne

Jojodyne

• 377 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:55

From what I've heard and read so far, looks like Hamilton just didn't want to take the risk to be penalised for overtaking under yellow - post SPA2008 trauma - but I think McLaren have a fair chance. Both drivers deserve it though especially as Trulli went from pit to podium, nevertheless giving LH the nudge

#18 paffett4F1

paffett4F1

• 452 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:15

Originally posted by Bruce

Suck it up.

Just to be clear, McLaren have not protested. The FIA stewards are investigating under their own initiative.

#19 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:28

If it's true that Hamilton let Trulli pass then the result should stand as is.

Advertisement

#20 MinT

MinT

• 2,040 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:36

Originally posted by Bruce

Suck it up.

"suck it up " - 4th or 3rd after 18th on the grid & in that car...yeah I am sure they will ;)

#21 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:46

Radio news on the BBC confirms stewards decision, Hamilton promoted to 3rd :up:

#22 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:47

LEWIS 3RD :clap:

#23 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:49

Alright! :clap:
Too bad he couldn't be on the podium. Would have been great :)

#24 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:50

And what's the penalty for Trulli?

#25 Garry

Garry

• 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:51

Aye. Confirmed by Sky Sports News.

Trulli has been given a time penalty. ANY time penalty puts him 13th.

#26 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:52

Originally posted by Garry
Aye. Confirmed by Sky Sports News.

Trulli has been given a time penalty. ANY time penalty puts him 13th.

unlucky, mate!

#27 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:52

Originally posted by Anomnader
LEWIS 3RD :clap:

Good, sounds like both drivers were trying to be fair to each other, presumably it depended on how far off track Trulli went, and he went all the way off. If he's not on track Lewis can't be expected to wait, so then it was Trulli who passed on track under caution.

Shame he missed actually being on the podium.

#28 bogi

bogi

• 3,045 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:53

Atlas BB wont recover in next five days :lol:

#29 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:55

As much as I'm delighted with Lewis coming third I can't help but feel sorry for Trulli. Driving a great race from the back and now getting punished for a misunderstanding. It seems both he and Lewis didn't quite know how to proceed after he rejoined the track.

Can't Trulli just be demoted to 4th? Why the time penalty?
:

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:56

I think a time penalty for Trulli would be ludicrously unfair. Demote him behind Hamilton, by all means, but promoting other drivers because the stewards are so effed up nobody knows what they will do after the race?

#31 Garry

Garry

• 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:58

Because them's the rules!

25s penalty. 12th place for Trulli.

#32 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,655 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:01

Lewis Hamilton has been promoted to third place at the Australian GP after Jarno Trulli was penalised.

Trulli's third place was put under investigation after the Italian regained his position overtaking Hamilton during a safety car period, having run off the track when the SC was on track.

Both drivers were summoned to see the race stewards following the incident and it was decided to give Trulli a 25-second penalty which moves him outside of the points finish.

Toyota confirmed its intention to appeal the decision

#33 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:04

Feel sorry for Trulli.

Penalty is (IIRC from Spa last year) non-appealable too, so demotion is set now.

#34 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:08

Yes I don't see how they can appeal, the penalty is unfair for trulli, but was set with what happened last year in SPA

#35 Garry

Garry

• 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:09

Hard to make a decision without seeing the footage, really.

#36 wordsby

wordsby

• 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:10

Is the latest true that LH has received a ten spot grid penaly in Malaysia for improper conduct behind a safety car? Not the first time he has done this if I remember.

#37 toyotaf1

toyotaf1

• 149 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:11

just stupid....things like this make F1 unwatchable

#38 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:12

First DSQ after qualifying, now this. FIA has been really harsh on Toyota.

#39 Garry

Garry

• 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:15

Not heard that one! What source?

Vettel's been given a 10 place penalty for not pulling over to the side of the track with a damaged car.

Advertisement

#40 Garry

Garry

• 49 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:16

How is it harsh to enforce the rules?

#41 peroa

peroa

• 8,935 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:24

Originally posted by Arion
First DSQ after qualifying, now this. FIA has been really harsh on Toyota.

Well, don`t use flexible rearwings and you won`t be DQ-ed.
I thought they got a rather mild penalty for this.

#42 klyster

klyster

• 4,331 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:28

Vettel's been given a 10 place penalty for not pulling over to the side of the track with a damaged car.

Apparently a $50,000 fine too?

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=37367

#43 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:37

How is it harsh to enforce the rules?

Cos no-one knows what the rules are. :down:

#44 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,794 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:58

Trulli gets back on the radio to say he is now in front of Hamilton. Hamilton slowed down really really really slow and Trulli went past thinking that this was what Hamilton wanted. [/B]

"When the safety car came out towards the end of the race Lewis passed me
but soon after he suddenly slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road.
I thought he had a problem so I overtook him as there was nothing else I could do."

Too bad mate. Apparently you should have stopped your car dead in its tracks if thats whats required in order to not pass Hamilton.
According to the FIA anyway.

#45 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:11

Stewards report says penalty is for causing a collision and forcing another competitor off the track. The $50,000 dollar fine is for not pulling off the track.

Which is completely stupid. Both drivers were culpable for that accident and if one if penalised, the other should be.

Vettel also shouldn't have apologised. He's a nice guy and holds his hands up to his faults, but i agree with EJ/MB in that its going to make him appear weak. Kubica is shouting his mouth off about it being Vettel's fault. Next time it happens, he'll force his way through and blame Vettel for any incident.

#46 Monad

Monad

• 399 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:13

I thought he had a problem so I overtook him as there was nothing else I could do."

Too bad mate. Apparently you should have stopped your car dead in its tracks if thats whats required in order to not pass Hamilton.

Yes because we all know how much the FIA loves Hamilton. There was so much love last year in Belgium. :love:

#47 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,178 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:14

Well done by the stewards.

Otoh Barrichello caused a massive incident at the start and no penalty was given. What a shame... is Bernie's money on BGP? Just asking...

#48 peroa

peroa

• 8,935 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:18

Well, I think some video footage could be helpful ...

#49 Monad

Monad

• 399 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:27

Stewards report says penalty is for causing a collision and forcing another competitor off the track. The $50,000 dollar fine is for not pulling off the track.

Which is completely stupid. Both drivers were culpable for that accident and if one if penalised, the other should be.

Vettel also shouldn't have apologised. He's a nice guy and holds his hands up to his faults, but i agree with EJ/MB in that its going to make him appear weak. Kubica is shouting his mouth off about it being Vettel's fault. Next time it happens, he'll force his way through and blame Vettel for any incident.

You should watch the video again. Vettel wanted so much that position that he tried to pull a Shumacher by not letting anyone pass him throwing Kubica of the track. But Kubica did not back off.
Vettel is a good driver but he obviously made an inexperience mistake and it was his fault. But on and all this things happen in a race. The fact that he apologized only shows that his a decent person that recognizes his mistakes.
Kubica has the right to be angry and although am certain Vettel feels bad about the incident he just has to be patient and let Kubica blow his steam off.

#50 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:42

Both drivers were culpable for that accident and if one if penalised, the other should be.

too true, i've watched it again (had to fill the time until the board here un-fubared :lol: ) and Kubica struck me as actually having slightly more culpability in this incident....granted, Vettel had braked early but that struck me as being to try and make sure he didn't overcook the turn, given that he had a car outside him....Kubica, however, turned in like there was never another car there....in this instance, i'd definitely say 50/50, if not slightly favour Vettel in terms of the 'injured party' as a result of the collision.

perhaps 'push-to-evaporate' should be added to the drivers steering wheel options for 2010 ;)