Jump to content


Photo

Wet Weather Racing


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 irish_sean69

irish_sean69
  • Member

  • 82 posts
  • Joined: November 08

Posted 30 March 2009 - 15:07

With the lack of down force the cars are mking up time with the slick tyres. What happens when it rains and they take away the slicks?

Advertisement

#2 engel

engel
  • Member

  • 5,037 posts
  • Joined: November 08

Posted 30 March 2009 - 15:10

cars will slide around more?
oh they won't be able to do a few exploratory wet laps on slicks like they did with the grooves last season, now they ll have to ditch them right away or risk aquaplaning off

#3 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 30 March 2009 - 15:12

had the 2001 Malaysian GP downpour occurred when everyone was using slick tyres rather than grooved tyres, alot more cars would likely have gone off (given that the track was sodden in most places by the time the drivers had got round to the pits again)

#4 irish_sean69

irish_sean69
  • Member

  • 82 posts
  • Joined: November 08

Posted 30 March 2009 - 15:22

Originally posted by stevvy1986
had the 2001 Malaysian GP downpour occurred when everyone was using slick tyres rather than grooved tyres, alot more cars would likely have gone off (given that the track was sodden in most places by the time the drivers had got round to the pits again)


Going of the regs if all the cars go off what happens then do they all get lifted back onto the track or do they get DQ

#5 Apollonius

Apollonius
  • Member

  • 601 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 30 March 2009 - 16:02

I do know one thing: KERS will count for nothing if it's a wet race.

#6 windoesnot

windoesnot
  • Member

  • 128 posts
  • Joined: September 05

Posted 30 March 2009 - 16:12

so long as the track is only damp, full slicks will be more viable to use than the grooved tyres of old were.

however if it rains properly though, they will be tricker on wets than before with less downforce available. should sort the men from the boys.

#7 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 30 March 2009 - 16:14

the problem (as 2001 showed) is the rain generally comes down in 1 big go, so it ends up going from dry to soaked within 30 seconds, so really then its just a case of hoping against hope that you get to the pits before it gets too wet

#8 dabrasco

dabrasco
  • Member

  • 2,170 posts
  • Joined: February 09

Posted 30 March 2009 - 16:18

it will be very funny if u could have one quick sudden downpour and all the cars slide off into gravel traps in about 1 min interval. :lol:


or all the cars except a force india :rotfl:

#9 Turn 1

Turn 1
  • Member

  • 347 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:34

Originally posted by irish_sean69


Going of the regs if all the cars go off what happens then do they all get lifted back onto the track or do they get DQ


Cars lifted out of the gravel, are no longer able to continue in the grand prix.

#10 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:36

unless theyre in a dangerous position (as shown by hamilton in 2007 at the nurburgring,and when schumi got a push out of the gravel at the same track back in...............2004?)

#11 Turn 1

Turn 1
  • Member

  • 347 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:43

Originally posted by stevvy1986
unless theyre in a dangerous position (as shown by hamilton in 2007 at the nurburgring,and when schumi got a push out of the gravel at the same track back in...............2004?)


I'm pretty sure they changed the regulation after the hamilton incident though didn't they. IIRC

#12 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:45

if they did, i must have missed it (i can see why they may have changed it if they have, saves the issue of 'thats not fair, im in a more dangerous place than him, how come hes allowed to carry on and im not, how come he was lifted back onto the track before me' etc)

#13 David Ricardo

David Ricardo
  • Member

  • 245 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:48

What´s for sure is that in wet conditions the pace difference between DD cars and those with conventional diffusers will grow exponentially and Kers wont help.

#14 trenchcoat

trenchcoat
  • Member

  • 453 posts
  • Joined: January 09

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:53

Originally posted by dabrasco
it will be very funny if u could have one quick sudden downpour and all the cars slide off into gravel traps in about 1 min interval. :lol:


or all the cars except a force india :rotfl:



:rotfl:



Imagine all cars apart from force India on the gravel with 40 laps to go.

#15 wingwalker

wingwalker
  • Member

  • 6,333 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 30 March 2009 - 22:14

I do recall they changed the regulation, I think every car that will require any kind of help outside the pits to keep going will be DQ'ed now.

With lack of downforce and no bonus in tires grip, wet races are gonna be quite a bit slower than in preavious races, also i think the drivers who're good in the races will be even better, while the ones who struggle (I'm looking at you, Massa) will struggle even more.

#16 irish_sean69

irish_sean69
  • Member

  • 82 posts
  • Joined: November 08

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:57

Originally posted by wingwalker
I do recall they changed the regulation, I think every car that will require any kind of help outside the pits to keep going will be DQ'ed now.

With lack of downforce and no bonus in tires grip, wet races are gonna be quite a bit slower than in preavious races, also i think the drivers who're good in the races will be even better, while the ones who struggle (I'm looking at you, Massa) will struggle even more.


How many times did he spin at Silverstone got to love his Massa moments

#17 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu
  • Member

  • 2,350 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:05

It could be a good one for Force India this weekend then. I hope so.

#18 sean.cronin69

sean.cronin69
  • New Member

  • 4 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 03 April 2009 - 22:42

looks like we are going to get rain

#19 irish_sean69

irish_sean69
  • Member

  • 82 posts
  • Joined: November 08

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:39

I hope all wet weather races dont get red flaged. That was my original piont the cars will have no grip