Photo

"Racing Comments" - time to split off into sub-forums?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 17:41

I don't know if its me or not, but the forum activity compared to last year, especially in the main "Racing Comments" section appears to have gone up five-fold.

I have no idea if this would work, but it maybe a good idea to split it into sub-sections, I don't know, maybe have:

- Drivers with a thread for each driver
- Teams with a thread for each team
- Race Weekend; discussions relevant to a particular race
- Coverage; TV coverage
- FIA/FOTA
- other (i.e. GP2; NASCAR threads)

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here. Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,515 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 18:08

I'd say the activity is more or less the same as it use to be at the start of the season. IIRC in 2007 w Lewis vs Alonso and Kimi vs Massa there was even more activity.

Could be a good idea to create sub forums in RC, would look more organized I think.

#3 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 19:49

I agree they should do that. look at http://hfboards.com/ for an example of how it could be done. (Its hockey, yes, but some of the structure would possibly be helpful here too.) In addition to the main forums each team's fans have their own base, with topics which are only relevant to their own team. A lot of the confrontation and flamewars are avoided this way.

#4 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:26

No, no and no. I visit boards where they split and it's a nightmare to follow. It's the great strength of this place, hard arsed moderators who merge the BS into one thread when it needs to happen.

#5 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 13:08

Originally posted by Alfisti
No, no and no. I visit boards where they split and it's a nightmare to follow. It's the great strength of this place, hard arsed moderators who merge the BS into one thread when it needs to happen.

:up:

#6 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 16:36

Originally posted by Alfisti

i agree
its worked as it is for years i dont see the need to change it

#7 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 19:13

Tons of sub forums are horrible and in my expierience have wrecked forums which were previously working well.

#8 Moanaman

Moanaman

• 6,035 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:02

Originally posted by fifi
i agree
its worked as it is for years i dont see the need to change it

Communism worked for years too. Change is a good thing :wave:

#9 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 19:11

I would like a sort of sub forum/page where all the car discussion treads are shown. As well as for the practice, qualy, post qualy, weights and post-race discussions. I completely agree that the current 'readers comments' should be preserved in its current form. The obvious solution would be to create some page with all the links to the car treads. another page with all the links to the race dedicated treads.

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:28

I would like a sort of sub forum/page where all the car discussion treads are shown. As well as for the practice, qualy, post qualy, weights and post-race discussions. I completely agree that the current 'readers comments' should be preserved in its current form. The obvious solution would be to create some page with all the links to the car treads. another page with all the links to the race dedicated treads.

Splitting the forum is not the answer some standard threads like "Ferrari 2009" for all things ferrari, "F-60" for all things related to the car, technical, the ever populat x driver vs y driver thread and decent policing would fix it pretty quickly.

Most importantly is the people must stop quoting troublemakers it just adds to the clutter, just report the post.

Also for each race week end we have race specific threads like Race Friday, Race Saturday, Race Sunday. And only if its a really major incident it all stays in the Race thread. Lets get a bit of structure.

Edited by Gilles4Ever, 27 May 2009 - 06:31.

#11 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:22

Splitting the forum is not the answer some standard threads like "Ferrari 2009" for all things ferrari, "F-60" for all things related to the car, technical, the ever populat x driver vs y driver thread and decent policing would fix it pretty quickly.

Most importantly is the people must stop quoting troublemakers it just adds to the clutter, just report the post.

Also for each race week end we have race specific threads like Race Friday, Race Saturday, Race Sunday. And only if its a really major incident it all stays in the Race thread. Lets get a bit of structure.

I'm not suggesting splitting the forum. I would just like to see a page where these important treads (to me atleast) are bundeled (only links, the treads will still be in the RC) so I don't have to search for them in the massa vs kimi vs lewis vs alonso clutter.

#12 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 00:07

The simple answer here is to make a sticky thread at the top of the forum with links for

1. Official threads about each driver
2. official threads about each team
3. Official threads about each car
4. Official thread about each GP.
5. Thread about the current FOTA - FIA standoff.

This is done on many other forums and works well.

Edited by Ali_G, 30 May 2009 - 00:07.

#13 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:02

The simple answer here is to make a sticky thread at the top of the forum with links for

1. Official threads about each driver
2. official threads about each team
3. Official threads about each car
4. Official thread about each GP.
5. Thread about the current FOTA - FIA standoff.

This is done on many other forums and works well.

that's what I meant. I doesn't hurt the current 'chaos' and provides some structure for those that want it

#14 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:40

2009 cars

took the liberty of making the tread with the links for the 2009 cars. added a poll to see if we have a majority agreeing with a sticky. If I made the forum moderators upset with this, just delete it.

#15 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,861 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:00

Don't create any new forums, just start deleting duplicate threads. The reason that hot topics fall off of the front page is because of the newbies that come along and create threads about topics that are already being discussed, often on the front page. The effect is twofold. No new threads to push the popular ones to page two and more posts funneled into the popular threads, thus bumping them back to the top.

Also, take advantage of the thread subscribing feature.

#16 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 21:54

Don't create any new forums, just start deleting duplicate threads. The reason that hot topics fall off of the front page is because of the newbies that come along and create threads about topics that are already being discussed, often on the front page. The effect is twofold. No new threads to push the popular ones to page two and more posts funneled into the popular threads, thus bumping them back to the top.

Also, take advantage of the thread subscribing feature.

What a load of kaka. Popular threads stay in the limelight regardless of the number of new threads created. If you dont like a thread dont post in it and it wont last long, I've noticed on a number of occasions people like you posting in them with some sarcastic comment and all it does is keep the thread active for longer. Just ignore them.

What's needed is an option to subscribe to threads so that you can find threads you like quickly.

#17 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 00:18

Tons of sub forums are horrible and in my expierience have wrecked forums which were previously working well.

:up: same with my experience

some very important thread may be pinned for a while but no more than that

#18 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:25

Agreed. To much moderation is restrictive.

#19 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 13:20

FLOP idea

Suppose there is a collision between Hamilton and Alonso does the discussion take place in the Hamilton forum or the Alonso forum ? or both thus having 2 threads about the same thing, that is just an example of why the idea is not workable

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Advertisement

#20 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,861 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 20:15

What a load of kaka. Popular threads stay in the limelight regardless of the number of new threads created. If you dont like a thread dont post in it and it wont last long, I've noticed on a number of occasions people like you posting in them with some sarcastic comment and all it does is keep the thread active for longer. Just ignore them.

What's needed is an option to subscribe to threads so that you can find threads you like quickly.

I've successfully chased off a few people like you, the sarcastic comments will continue.

#21 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:52

sub sections are forum killers

proven may times

#22 Slick

Slick
  • Administrator

• 3,340 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:31

There is an option for subscribing to threads and following them.

If you go into a thread, at the top left of the thread is an options drop down, if you choose track thread it will then move you onto a window for e-mail notifications.

Once you have chosen your e-mail options you can find the tracked threads in you "My Controls" window.

#23 parkiw

parkiw

• 96 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 13:38

It's probably not supported by the BB software used here - but what about tagging threads with keywords?

So instead of having a Button subforum and a Vettel subforum as has been proposed here, threads about Button would be tagged 'button' and threads about Vettel would be tagged 'vettel'. And a thread about Button colliding with Vettel in Italy could be tagged 'button', 'vettel', 'italy', '2009'. That way - if you want to see all threads about a single race, or a single driver, or whatever, just organize threads by the appropriate tag.

(And if Button collides with Vettel in Italy, what do I win?)