Jump to content


Photo

The 2009 MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX - Friday Free Practice


  • Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

  • 7,201 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 31 March 2009 - 19:11

Couldn't wait any longer.... so here's the Official 2009 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix thread. At this point, the Press Schedules haven't been released, but they should be released here tomorrow morning.

Here's the schedule for the weekend F1 wise (time converted to UK time) :

Thursday, April 2nd, 2009
07:00 - 08:00: Track Familiarisation – Safety Car
08:00: Press Conference – Press Room
09:00: Team Managers’ Meeting

Friday, April 3rd, 2009
01:45 - 02:00: Marshalling System Track Test
02:30 - 02:40: Track Inspection
03:00 - 04:30: First Practice Session
06:20 - 06:50: Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk
06:30 - 06:40: Track Inspection
07:00 - 08:30: Second Practice Session
09:00 - 10:00: Press Conference - Press Room

Saturday, April 4th, 2009
03:00 - 04:00: Pit Stop Practice
03:00 - 04:00: Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk
03:15 - 03:30: Marshalling System Track Test
06:15 - 06:45: Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk
06:30 - 06:40: Track Inspection
07:00 - 08:00: Third Practice Session
09:15 - 09:45: Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk
09:30 - 09:40: Track Inspection
10:00 - 11:00: Qualifying Session

Sunday, April 5th, 2009
04:00 - 05:00: Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk
04:00 - 04:15: Marshalling System Track Test
07:00: Drivers’ Meeting (If Necessary)
08:25 - 09:10: Paddock Club Pit Lane Walk
08:30: Drivers Track Parade
08:45 - 09:15: Starting Grid Presentation
09:10 - 09:20: Track Inspection
09:30: Pit Lane Open
09:45: Pit Lane Closed Grid Formation
09:46: National Anthem
10:00: Grand Prix (56 Laps Or 120 Mins)

With only one race gone, its a Brawn 1-2 at the top of both championships, with Button first and Barrichello second. A few questions to start off the thread (of course providing the race is dry) :

- Will Brawn GP keep up their dominance from Melbourne?
- Was Hamilton's pace in Melbourne a "one-off", will his high-points finish be repeated?
- Will Ferrari have more reliability problems?
- Will Sebastian Vettel comeback from a ten-place grid drop and get onto the podium?
- After "ProtestFest" last weekend, will anyone launch any protests again this weekend?

And will the rain clouds from above bring with it carnage and race stoppages?

I don't mind rain... but I don't want rain that will stop the race. If it rains, its anyone game quite frankly.

If it stays dry, I can see Brawn leading the way, unless reliability sends them off course. Has anyone got any figures of how much mileage they've done compared to other teams, I think Button said that they were pacing themselves because of reliability concerns.

Advertisement

#2 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:30

I'm officially excited.

#3 RedBaron

RedBaron
  • Member

  • 2,782 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:53

You wait for ages then 2 come along at once. Awesome :D

#4 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker
  • Member

  • 14,019 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:31

Originally posted by RedBaron
You wait for ages then 2 come along at once. Awesome :D


Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback
I'm officially excited.


sucks that we have to wait so long...but I do feel like I might start to get spoiled, like I already am with NASCAR.

Two weekends in a row with two races each...and Max Papis will be racing in the NASCAR event....should be a very very entertaining (and absolutely unproductive) weekend!

#5 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor
  • Member

  • 2,177 posts
  • Joined: October 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:16

I doubt Vettel will get on the podium if both williams' and both toyota's start infront of him.

Ofcourse this is if the race stays dry and SC free.

#6 Kelateboy

Kelateboy
  • Member

  • 5,792 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:27

Originally posted by raiseyourfistfor
I doubt Vettel will get on the podium if both williams' and both toyota's start infront of him.

Ofcourse this is if the race stays dry and SC free.

Hopefully the race stays dry. If it rains, the advantage goes to Hamilton. You can scratch Massa off the list if it rains coz he sucks big time in the wet.

-KB

#7 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:02

if it rains mid race and as heavy as it did in 2001,before the drivers can get back to the pits,the advantage will be nobody's (as shown in that race when most cars went off track before they could get back to the pits for wet tyres)

#8 trenchcoat

trenchcoat
  • Member

  • 453 posts
  • Joined: January 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:27

whats with all this 'offical' stuff all of a sudden? This is atlas not that teenage forum that needs to be told where and how to word their threads titles :|

#9 ashnathan

ashnathan
  • Member

  • 5,018 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:37

If it rains the advantage goes to anyone not driving a mclaren. with poor mechanical and aero grip what chance have the drivers got in the wet? none, apparently the Toyota is the class of the field in the wet (so was said during testing) BUT that was before brawn showed up and brawn hasn't tested or driven in the wet yet. This is Formula 1, it will not rain.

#10 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:40

is it possible to make multiple topics:
- Malaysian GP Free Practices
- Qual
- Race

Would be much more clear imho.

#11 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu
  • Member

  • 2,344 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:06

Why do people assume the new McLaren is going to be good in the wet?

#12 djellison

djellison
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:08

Originally posted by RoutariEnjinu
Why do people assume the new McLaren is going to be good in the wet?


They don't. They assume Hamilton will be. Hamilton has demonstrated an ability to be significantly faster than the field, if things go his way in the wet. That could make up for any shortcomings his car has.

#13 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu
  • Member

  • 2,344 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:11

Originally posted by djellison


They don't. They assume Hamilton will be. Hamilton has demonstrated an ability to be significantly faster than the field, if things go his way in the wet. That could make up for any shortcomings his car has.


Never mind, I misread the post by 'kids like ash'.

#14 undersquare

undersquare
  • Member

  • 18,929 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:12

Originally posted by RoutariEnjinu
Why do people assume the new McLaren is going to be good in the wet?


Yes, even Lewis won't be able to make up for lack of downforce in the wet. I suppose a lot of dnf's is how it could help him, but the deluges people have been describing sound a bit too dangerous to wish for.

#15 Lukin83

Lukin83
  • Member

  • 753 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:16

Originally posted by fnz
is it possible to make multiple topics:
- Malaysian GP Free Practices
- Qual
- Race

Would be much more clear imho.


:up: :up: :up:
votes for a separate post race thread too

#16 Little Leaf

Little Leaf
  • Member

  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:18

Originally posted by undersquare


Yes, even Lewis won't be able to make up for lack of downforce in the wet. I suppose a lot of dnf's is how it could help him, but the deluges people have been describing sound a bit too dangerous to wish for.


Button and Rubens aren't exactly slow in the wet either...

#17 smartie_f1

smartie_f1
  • Member

  • 296 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:18

Originally posted by fnz
is it possible to make multiple topics:
- Malaysian GP Free Practices
- Qual
- Race

Would be much more clear imho.


Thirded! Means a lot less to wade through by the time we get to Saturday afternoon.

#18 undersquare

undersquare
  • Member

  • 18,929 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:23

Originally posted by Little Leaf


Button and Rubens aren't exactly slow in the wet either...


Quite right. Nor Kimi, Vettel...

#19 J2NH

J2NH
  • Member

  • 1,378 posts
  • Joined: March 02

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:25

There's wet and then there's Malaysia wet.
It doesn't just rain, it comes down in rivers and when it hits it forms lakes. Late start, dumb idea, could mean a non-start or a half points race.

Advertisement

#20 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:49

Originally posted by fnz
is it possible to make multiple topics:
- Malaysian GP Free Practices
- Qual
- Race

Would be much more clear imho.


I've sad it before I'll say it one more time, THERE WERE SEPARATE THREADS FOR THE LAST GP BUT NO ONE USED THEM OTHER THAN THE QUALY ONE, if you want them, start them but this is the overall discussion one.

#21 Timstr11

Timstr11
  • Member

  • 7,653 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:06

Originally posted by J2NH
There's wet and then there's Malaysia wet.
It doesn't just rain, it comes down in rivers and when it hits it forms lakes. Late start, dumb idea, could mean a non-start or a half points race.

Fully agree.
There's a high probability the race will be canceled as the sun sets at 19:20, rather quickly (as is normal around the equator).

#22 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:09

and if theres dark storm clouds around (highly likely) that'll effectively move that time forward

#23 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:18

Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback
I've sad it before I'll say it one more time, THERE WERE SEPARATE THREADS FOR THE LAST GP BUT NO ONE USED THEM OTHER THAN THE QUALY ONE, if you want them, start them but this is the overall discussion one.


No need to go defensive here mate (hence the caps), i was just asking something.
If I remember correctly last year it was with separate threads, and every single one got used. Perhaps because there wasn't an "overall discussion" one...

(or am I mistaken with the old Live Forum?)

fnz

#24 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:35

Originally posted by fnz


No need to go defensive here mate (hence the caps), i was just asking something.
If I remember correctly last year it was with separate threads, and every single one got used. Perhaps because there wasn't an "overall discussion" one...

(or am I mistaken with the old Live Forum?)

fnz

Sorry, it was just I pointed that out at least 5 times on the last thread.

As for the race thread most use the live forum anyway so it receives little use I think.

#25 krapmeister

krapmeister
  • Member

  • 5,567 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:53

Well - this must be THE official thread, seeing as the other one has gotten the boot.

Go on Ticktickboom - get the Bahrain one going... :lol:

#26 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan
  • Member

  • 460 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:57

KERS will be used once for 6.6s seconds, rather than 6 times for 1 second, but on which straight will they use it - the back straight or the pit straight? I am thinking it would be more logical to use it on the back straight, as this is the only time the entire 6s worth of KERS can be benefitted within the same laptime. If drivers used it on the pit straight as they came out of the hairpin, then half of the benefit would be before they crossed the line, and half into the new lap. Laptimes would be faster if they used it on the back straight imo.

#27 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:59

Originally posted by wewantourdarbyback
As for the race thread most use the live forum anyway so it receives little use I think.


I was talking about the live forum, not the live chat that got introduced somewhere mid season 2008 (i think)... nevertheless 1 thread = better dan no thread :)

#28 krapmeister

krapmeister
  • Member

  • 5,567 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:09

Originally posted by Dalek Caan
KERS will be used once for 6.6s seconds, rather than 6 times for 1 second, but on which straight will they use it - the back straight or the pit straight? I am thinking it would be more logical to use it on the back straight, as this is the only time the entire 6s worth of KERS can be benefitted within the same laptime. If drivers used it on the pit straight as they came out of the hairpin, then half of the benefit would be before they crossed the line, and half into the new lap. Laptimes would be faster if they used it on the back straight imo.


I can see them using it twice - once on each straight. If they are close enough, 3.3secs of KERS should be enough to get a good slipstream and get past.

#29 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 20,163 posts
  • Joined: June 04

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:18

Originally posted by krapmeister


I can see them using it twice - once on each straight. If they are close enough, 3.3secs of KERS should be enough to get a good slipstream and get past.


Did you watch where they were using KERS in Australia?

#30 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:20

If Renault don't find an answer for their lack of topspeed (check speedtrap Melbourne) they 'll be sitting ducks on the 2 long straights this weekend i think.

#31 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:21

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever


Did you watch where they were using KERS in Australia?


Someone mentionned in the F60 thread that kimi used it more at the exit of corners while hamilton was using it more on the straight. (if you want i 'll look it up for you)

#32 krapmeister

krapmeister
  • Member

  • 5,567 posts
  • Joined: August 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:22

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever


Did you watch where they were using KERS in Australia?


Not really - I was too busy on the live forum... ;) :lol:



KERS coming out of turns 1 and 2 then?

I guess the drivers will use KERS differently between qualy and race - coming out of corners in qualy and on the straights to pass cars in the race?

#33 eoin

eoin
  • Member

  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:25

Originally posted by undersquare


Quite right. Nor Kimi, Vettel...


IMO kimi struggles in the wet but is very good once the track starts to dry out.

Going to put a few quid on webber. Usually qualifies well there and a KERS free car will be the one to have on a wet track. Two of the best wet drivers, hamilton and vettel, will have there own problems this weekend and BrawnGP have little to no experience in the wet which could cost them.

#34 F.M.

F.M.
  • Member

  • 5,577 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:27

Originally posted by D.M.N.
Couldn't wait any longer.... so here's the Official 2009 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix thread.

Hee, you stole my official opening line :lol:

#35 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan
  • Member

  • 460 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 13:45

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever


Did you watch where they were using KERS in Australia?


Exits of turn 1, turn 6, turn 7, turn 9 definitely.

Ferraris used theirs in the first half of the lap, whereas Lewis always had some KERS left at the end of the lap. Maybe the Merc's drivability is better accelerating from slower corners, and doesn't need the KERS bursts in those exits, whereas Ferrari do.

#36 werks prototype

werks prototype
  • Member

  • 5,563 posts
  • Joined: January 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 13:58

With the continued possibility of non-kers ddd cars on poll with say the KERS Ferrari or KERS laden BMW just behind and Massa and Kimi's demonstration of gaining position through the use of KERS from the start line, how long before we start to see regular blocking moves by the non Kers cars from the start line resulting in collisions whereby the ddd's are effectively damaged or removed by the nose of the on-coming KERS cars . The boost at this stage seems pretty visible and extreme and dare I say uncontrollable in such circumstances where the car in front blocks as the boost is initiated.

#37 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:01

On thursday april 2 the following drivers 'll be answering questions in the press conference:

Bourdais
Button
Hamilton
Raikonnen
Rosberg
Vettel

#38 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan
  • Member

  • 460 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:03

Originally posted by fnz
On thursday april 2 the following drivers 'll be answering questions in the press conference:

Bourdais
Button
Hamilton
Raikonnen
Rosberg
Vettel


6 is a bit much? I thought 4 was the norm?

Anyway, always nice to hear from Vettel and Rosberg! :clap:

#39 fnz

fnz
  • Member

  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:06

Originally posted by Dalek Caan


6 is a bit much? I thought 4 was the norm?

Anyway, always nice to hear from Vettel and Rosberg! :clap:


source
Perhaps cause on friday no drivers ll be in the PC. (Brawn, Howett, Par, Whitmarsh)

Advertisement

#40 stevvy1986

stevvy1986
  • Member

  • 3,168 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:36

still more than normal, think theres usually 4 drivers and then 4 team bosses/technical people

#41 Barramut

Barramut
  • Member

  • 930 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:43

Kimi, the Sultan of Malaysia will run over the competition with his pranching elephant. :up:

#42 klover

klover
  • Member

  • 3,862 posts
  • Joined: June 03

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:46

Originally posted by Barramut
Kimi, the Sultan of Malaysia will run over the competition with his pranching elephant. :up:


Limping elephant :lol: I'd be surprised if the car lasts, he is due a retirement after Massa had one.

#43 Barramut

Barramut
  • Member

  • 930 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:48

Originally posted by Dalek Caan


6 is a bit much? I thought 4 was the norm?

Anyway, always nice to hear from Vettel and Rosberg! :clap:

Don't worry, Kimi [YES -NO] is there and the PC won't take longer than normal.
Also Vetto [no comments about Australia] probably won't be in a talkative mood.
...
However Hamilton [I''m da man] will be there.

#44 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 15:10

I'm not going to complain about hearing from more of them.

#45 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

  • 6,505 posts
  • Joined: February 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 15:14

Yeah, we will have six renditions of "For sure" instead of four. :lol: ;)

#46 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback
  • Member

  • 6,358 posts
  • Joined: September 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 15:21

Originally posted by ForeverF1
Yeah, we will have six renditions of "For sure" instead of four. :lol: ;)

For sure

#47 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu
  • Member

  • 2,344 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 15:26

How about a 'For Sure' Forum Championship.

For tomorrow, I'll go for:

7x 'for sure' total.
With Hamilton scoring the highest points with 3x 'for sure'


Massa and Hamilton seem to be the biggest culprits. The season is long, perhaps we could total up the total from all the conferences, transcripts of which are available for the previous ones.

#48 Collective

Collective
  • Member

  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 01 April 2009 - 15:28

Originally posted by fnz
is it possible to make multiple topics:
- Malaysian GP Free Practices
- Qual
- Race

Would be much more clear imho.


That's the way it was and I liked it much better than these threads than reach 20+ pages before qualifying is over. It is a mess when you're trying to see what the others think of the race when it has just finished. The "Post race/qualifying comments and discussion" threads were way better.

#49 Ped Xing

Ped Xing
  • New Member

  • 6 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 01 April 2009 - 15:34

Originally posted by Collective


That's the way it was and I liked it much better than these threads than reach 20+ pages before qualifying is over. It is a mess when you're trying to see what the others think of the race when it has just finished. The "Post race/qualifying comments and discussion" threads were way better.


To be honest, for sure that would make more sense, but at the end of the day it's the same for everybody so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

:p

#50 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan
  • Member

  • 460 posts
  • Joined: March 09

Posted 01 April 2009 - 16:15

I don't think this is an April Fools.

http://www.jamesalle...1.com/index.htm

Hamilton could be DQ'ed from Australia because of lying to the stewards. :clap: