Photo

I GOT BURNT IN MELBOURNE

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 jedi pimp

jedi pimp

• 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:32

THIS whole twi-light thingy, its not right to race after 5pm, stading at turn 15 that horrible sun was coming down on all of us and it burning my right eye ball :mad: :evil: :cry:

Advertisement

#2 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 22:57

I don't see why they changed it, so it is one race that Europe have to get up early to see, and it is one race that used to be shown on Sunday afternoon in the Antipodes, as opposed to midnight on Sunday.

By the way Singapore is even worse that is shown at 1.00am Monday morning finishing around 3am, so Bernie if you're reading this any chance of changing this to a day race :lol: :rotfl:

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,884 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:04

didnt really see the point too much, its still too early in the morning to wake up for, and its still too late to stay up for

#4 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,957 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:04

So you got baked in Melbourne?

#5 Talisker

Talisker

• 295 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:15

I was there too, in the Brabham stand which faces the sun at the end of the day. It was quite hot, but what do you expect? Wear plenty of sunscreen and a hat (essential to keep the low sun out of your eyes) and it's fine.

#6 jedi pimp

jedi pimp

• 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:40

I was KFC last year too!! :eek: but never my friggin eye balls!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

this is something new :evil:

#7 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:50

Originally posted by pingu666
didnt really see the point too much, its still too early in the morning to wake up for, and its still too late to stay up for

I found it fine to get up for, liked the timing for over here personally :up:

#8 330P4

330P4

• 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 23:55

We were in the Waite Stand near turns 11 and 12 and it was a bit the opposite. There were some big trees behind the stand blocking the sun from us. Instead we were facing a southerly cold breeze. I made the mistake of wearing only a t-shirt and shorts and by the end was shivering, gibbering mess.

Luckily the 'Belgian Beer Cafe' wasn't too far away after the race and a few Leffes numbed the cold!

MMMmmmm.........Leffe Beer.......!!!

As an aside a big screen wasn't really close to our stand (despite shelling out $$$$$$) and I couldn't hear the commentary well so in the end didn't know what was really going on in the race from the start to the finish.

I reckon overall the twilight thing was a failure...

#9 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:21

Originally posted by jedi pimp
THIS whole twi-light thingy, its not right to race after 5pm, standing at turn 15 that horrible sun was coming down on all of us and it burning my right eye ball :mad: :evil: :cry:

There is this invention called sun glasses!;) But I understand... :up:

#10 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 27,088 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:27

You're from Melbourne and you're a bit surprised that the UV can be a bit harsh?

#11 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:10

Yeah, I wasn't a real fan of the twilight thing. I sat in Prost Stand at T16 and whilst the position of the sun wasn't too much of an issue, the temperature was a bit of a bugger. Ranging from pretty hot with the sun up to pretty cold as soon as it disappeared. It also just threw everything out to have the race and other sessions so late. It made every day a really long day. It made dinner difficult to organise. It made things more cramped at the entrance/exit as people were more inclined to get there and leave at the same time rather than dribble in and out. It'd be nice to change things back to how they were but since Bernie & co are such greedy bastards, it'll never happen.

#12 Mr Carnteen

Mr Carnteen

• 262 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:17

When I saw twilight I thought of The Ting Tings and I tawt I taw a puddy tat GAGAGAGAAGAGAAGAGAAAAA

#13 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:24

If you think it is damned hot in Melbourne, wait until you arrive in Sepang. If it does not rain, and the humidity is above 80, it can feel like 40C on the grandstand.

This year, FIA has moved the race to late evening so the heat is quite tolerable compared to previous years.

-KB

#14 jedi pimp

jedi pimp

• 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:29

I would like things to go back to 1996 way, with all the grandstand and tents, practice 3 at 9am in the morning when it is still misty and cold, all original qualifying, sunday morning warm up, V10 engines, I want all back!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#15 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:46

Well you can get that, just drop Bernie a line, I am sure he will accomodate you.

Of course the main thing we've missed out on this thread is Bernie doesn't care if you had the sun in your eyes, or were facing the cold southerly and freezing, the only people he cares about is the TV audience. But of course some TV audiences are more important than others, and I am well aware along with the other couple of hundred in NZ that for Bernie he doesn't even know where we live!!!

#16 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:04

yeah well, they could have told the tv viewers like me the race was a couple of hours later than normal, I could have get some sleep before!!! Damn ..... stayed up all night...

#17 jedi pimp

jedi pimp

• 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:31

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What do you do all night while waiting for the gp???

#18 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,613 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:51

Originally posted by Exar Kun
Yeah, I wasn't a real fan of the twilight thing. I sat in Prost Stand at T16 and whilst the position of the sun wasn't too much of an issue, the temperature was a bit of a bugger. Ranging from pretty hot with the sun up to pretty cold as soon as it disappeared. It also just threw everything out to have the race and other sessions so late. It made every day a really long day. It made dinner difficult to organise. It made things more cramped at the entrance/exit as people were more inclined to get there and leave at the same time rather than dribble in and out. It'd be nice to change things back to how they were but since Bernie & co are such greedy bastards, it'll never happen.

I bet it didn't feel anywhere near as hot as last year.

And I agree the 'twilight' thing is overhyped and overrated, but there will be no going back if the almighty tv ratings are higher...

#19 klyster

klyster

• 4,379 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:33

Originally posted by KiwiF1
I am well aware along with the other couple of hundred in NZ that for Bernie he doesn't even know where we live!!!

:lol: :up:

Too true.

Advertisement

#20 Mr Carnteen

Mr Carnteen

• 262 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:37

Originally posted by jedi pimp

What do you do all night while waiting for the gp???

Don't ask....with him, the answer will be X rated, but luckily there was only one participant.

#21 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:16

it was cold in fangio on friday 2nd practice.
saturday qual was fine in fangio.
sunday was fine, but needed a little extra on the arms at the end of the race.
The Who was freezing, but had to wait for 4 teenagers anyway, so i was going to be cold whatever way.

message to Bernie................
twilight doesn't work. it's too late. melb GP aren't going to make any money with the race at this time of night.
alcholol prices have risen massively.
Peter's bar alcohol prices have risen even more. no one wants to go to Pete's Bar because it's too late and everyone is starving, so they leave. we usually stay at Pete's Bar for at least 2 hours every afternoon, but this year we didn't go after the afternoon sessions at all, just once during the day over the whole 3 days.

the food situation at the back of Fangio was halved................very limited and no good for the first time in 10 years.
the toilet facilities were pathetic. 4 caravans of 6 toilets each for the whole of fangio. i know you've halved the grandstand but that is ridiculous. luckily i took a roll of toilet paper with us, and we needed to use it. the toilet facilities in KL/China/Bahrain/Fuji are far superior than the facilities that were available in melb. this year.

i'd say not happy Jan, but i'd love to say NOT HAPPY BERNIE

GET THE MESSAGE.

#22 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:05

Originally posted by Mr Carnteen

Don't ask....with him, the answer will be X rated, but luckily there was only one participant.

yeah, never mind the answer indeed, but that's what I always do with early races, normally the race would be at 05:00 AM or 06:00 AM, and that's a time I cannot get up.... (lazyness) So insteat I find material and means and stuff and so on to stay awake all night, just to be sure I will not miss it live.

But THIS TIME, the stupids started the race at 08:00 AM or something!!!! No drugs could keep me up anymore, saw the start apparently, and was far far away somewhere accept watching the race live, at corner 2 or so....... of lap one.

I always HATE it to watch replays ............. :mad: :mad: stupid TWILIGHT stuff! :down:

#23 Mr Carnteen

Mr Carnteen

• 262 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:11

What about a VCR Frans.
I don't allow the TV to dictate when I watch anything, so I use my PC to record everything....I barely watch anything live.

#24 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 13:50

I guess that makes jedi pimp Melbo..urne Toast. :lol:

#25 christoff

christoff

• 167 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:22

Originally posted by Mr Carnteen

Was that one participant in addition to yourself or just yourself?

:rotfl:

#26 Mr Carnteen

Mr Carnteen

• 262 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 14:30

Originally posted by christoff

Was that one participant in addition to yourself or just yourself?

Frans is one man dynamo :rolleyes:

#27 markzed

markzed

• 4,605 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:57

I was in the Clark stand and copped the afternoon sun direct in the face. Cap peak pulled down till it was touching sunnies and lashings of sunscreen allowed us to survive the day.

The kind of weekend that makes you realise that shade is massively underrated.

P.S. Up yours Barrichello for wrecking my day.

#28 jedi pimp

jedi pimp

• 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:37

here is a video still from outside turn 15 during the last lap, it wasn't so much hot as that blinding sun!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Posted Image

#29 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,881 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:40

Originally posted by markzed
I was in the Clark stand and copped the afternoon sun direct in the face. Cap peak pulled down till it was touching sunnies and lashings of sunscreen allowed us to survive the day.

The kind of weekend that makes you realise that shade is massively underrated.

P.S. Up yours Barrichello for wrecking my day.

By contrast 30 mins into the race and had to put a jacket on in the Fangio stand as a cool wind came through and the stand was covered in shade!

BTW - how did Barrichello ruin your day?

#30 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,613 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:41

Originally posted by markzed
...P.S. Up yours Barrichello for wrecking my day.

Originally posted by gerry nassar
...BTW - how did Barrichello ruin your day?

for driving like a plonka? ;)

#31 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 13:49

I love how the FIA will change the most ridiculous things on the grounds of safety but then do something that is clearly unsafe such as starting a race at 5pm. I hate the shadows you can't see what is going on. Makes for terrible TV.

#32 Barramut

Barramut

• 930 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 13:55

It wasn't the sun.
It was Brawn GP that shone bright. :smoking:

#33 metz

metz

• 9,828 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 17:23

:o You got burnt in Melbourne?
:mad: So did Lewis Hamilton. :blush:

#34 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 21:59

I watched it live in Canada... coverage started at 1:55am on Sunday and finished at 4am...

my eyeballs were burning, but not from the low sun....

#35 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 22:11

Originally posted by Bruce
I watched it live in Canada... coverage started at 1:55am on Sunday and finished at 4am...

my eyeballs were burning, but not from the low sun....

So for you guys if they had started this race at the usual time it would have started at midnight and finished at 2am. So with 4 or so hours of sleep you are still able to get through work without to much trouble. Like in NZ the European races all start at Midnight, luckily my boss understands that these Mondays are a little hard for me!!!

There was me thinking that F1 was a worldwide sporting event, but now we know that Bernie is only interested in Europe.

MOVE THESE RACES BACK TO THE USUAL TIMES, AND DEFINATELY NO MORE NIGHT RACES!!!!!!!!

#36 markzed

markzed

• 4,605 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 14:49

Originally posted by gerry nassar

By contrast 30 mins into the race and had to put a jacket on in the Fangio stand as a cool wind came through and the stand was covered in shade!

BTW - how did Barrichello ruin your day?

Hi Gerry!

Oh I was just a bit pissed at him for putting his nose inside Webbers car on turn 1. Webber's reaction probably didn't help the situation. My shoulders slumped as I watched Webber chase the field for the whole race.

True that the breeze helped. The early breeze was high quality but we seemed to miss it during the race.

#37 pac

pac

• 285 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 00:53

Being my second time to Melbourne, I really didn't mind the twilight finish. The weekend race schedule left time to explore the city or catch up with friends during the mornings & nights, since it wasn't necessary to make early starts to the track each day. Having said that, I can see how it might not have been ideal on Sunday, both in terms of race safety and spectator viewing (depending on where you were at the track).

Dieter Rencken unloads both barrels at F1's commercial rights holders in this week's Grapevine column. He is also sympathetic to those who were blinded by the sun or found the public toilet facilities lacking! Give it a read when you have a minute.

Coupled with rocketing ticket and hospitality prices (brought about by the CRH's stratospheric hosting fees), reduced support programmes (through reduced budgets, brought about by pressure from hosting fees), inferior facilities – ditto, the reduction in public toilets and big screen TVs was remarkable – and the net effect was that the Australian Grand Prix Corporation reduced grandstand capacity by around 15%.

Informed sources put the loss this year at AU$60m (around £30m) – a 50% increase over last year – with one local journalist, a life-long F1 fan, suggesting the city and state will 'take a bath and Ecclestone 30 mil (AU$) to get out of it (the race). That way they'll save a couple of hundred...'

http://www.autosport...cle.php/id/2088