Photo

Toyota team radio - Hear Trulli explain why he overtook Hamilton

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:10

Thanks to alfa1 in this thread I was able to record Toyota's radio transmissions during the Australian GP.

I have uploaded a condensed version of the recording, starting from the final safety car deployment to the end of the race. You can hear Trulli's explanation on how Hamilton let him pass and wouldn't take third place back even as Trulli offered it. Maybe someone can work on a full transcript.

Link:

Advertisement

#2 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,063 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:19

Originally posted by mach4
Thanks to alfa1 in this thread I was able to record Toyota's radio transmissions during the Australian GP.

I have uploaded a condensed version of the recording, starting from the final safety car deployment to the end of the race. You can hear Trulli's explanation on how Hamilton let him pass and wouldn't take third place back even as Trulli offered it. Maybe someone can work on a full transcript.

Link:

Not Trulli's fault .

#3 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:20

I don't think anyone has ever said its Trulli's fault.

#4 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,063 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:21

Originally posted by Anomnader
I don't think anyone has ever said its Trulli's fault.

The race stewards who penalised him?

#5 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan

• 460 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:21

How the hell did you get access to this? Isn't it confidential and property of FOM?

Also, it is my dream to stay on board with a driver and listen to the audio channel of his team radio all through the race. :love: Imagine if you could buy each driver's onboard race on Blu Ray with an audio commentary of the team radio. :smoking:

#6 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:22

:up: thanks for that, if Hamilton wouldn't repass then the stewards will have to ask themselves why they handed out a penalty, before they look into anything else.

#7 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:23

Originally posted by MichaelPM

Yes, Them, and only them.

I took it to referring to anyone on here.

#8 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:24

Originally posted by MichaelPM

:lol:

How much more obvious could that have been?! :confused:

#9 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:25

Yes, Them, and only them.

I took it to referring to anyone on here.

I remember hearing quite a few people after the race talking about how Trulli should be penalized for passing under the yellow flag.

And I think that until this popped up today, most people had accepted that it was a deserved penalty.

#10 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:27

THANKS!

It confirms the penalty was as dumb as a penalty might be.

#11 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:28

Thanks for that - interesting to hear them panicking and trying to figure out where they stand.

It's pretty obvious these guys have no intent to break the rules and were just caught out by an unusual situation.

#12 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,063 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:28

Originally posted by Phucaigh
The stewards will have to ask themselves why they handed out a penalty, before they look into anything else.

I think the public as a whole and all media should be asking the FIA that. Ramp up the pressure for penalty's to be given for just causes only.

#13 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:29

Originally posted by Dalek Caan
How the hell did you get access to this? Isn't it confidential and property of FOM?

Radio's transmission are open this year.

IT would be also great if you post the mp3 to some file sharing site, so we could download it before (and if) FOM puts it down.

#14 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:29

Originally posted by TheHumanPromise

I remember hearing quite a few people after the race talking about how Trulli should be penalized for passing under the yellow flag.

And I think that until this popped up today, most people had accepted that it was a deserved penalty.

I never heard anyone say it was a deserved penalty - I think most said it was unfortunate and he should only be put down to 4th.

#15 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,385 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:31

I seriously need a transcription. As good as my written English can be (not much), I just suck at understanding what other people say. I mostly understand what Jarno's engineer talks, not so much about what Timo's and both drivers say.

#16 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:32

If only Trulli finished 3rd and Hamilton finished 4th and that was the end of it... but no

Badly written rules and incompetence punish people :down:

#17 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:39

I never heard anyone say it was a deserved penalty - I think most said it was unfortunate and he should only be put down to 4th.

People were saying he did something wrong, that was my point. People thought he deserved *some* kind of penalty.

Now you're trying to claim that nobody ever said it was his fault. Obviously, if nobody thought it was his fault, they wouldn't have been asking for him to get penalized.

#18 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:41

Originally posted by TheHumanPromise

People were saying he did something wrong, that was my point.

Now you're trying to claim that nobody ever said he did anything wrong, So you're wrong. End of.

No you are tying to spin something into something else, stop the BS.

You made a statement that was quite wrong and no you're trying to wriggle out of, good bye.

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:44

No you are tying to spin something into something else, stop the BS.

How am I trying to *spin* anything. People either wanted him to get penalized or they didn't. I'm not talking about the severity of the penalty, I'm just talking about being penalized in general. Being put from 3rd to 4th is a penalty. And thats what people wanted, so they agreed he did something wrong and deserved to be penalized.

Which goes *completely* against what you said and you just dont want to admit it.

Advertisement

#20 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:01

I don't recall any sensible poster saying Trulli 'deserved it', only that something should happen because, quite simply, the rules were broken. Just because both drivers were over-sensitive to the potential for a penalty and ended up with the 'wrong' result doesn't mean the situation could be ignored.

The position is that he 'had' to be penalised, and this is unfortunate. In many ways, I hope that whatever does come out of this enquiry it is that the penalty is reversed and the rules are clarified.

#21 Ruud de la Rosa

Ruud de la Rosa

• 2,137 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:11

can someone make a transcript of what is being said? No audio here! :)

#22 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:36

Originally posted by wingwalker
Radio's transmission are open this year.

Radio transmissions are only 'open' to the FOM broadcasters.

For people like me, listening to the teams on a cheap radio scanner bought in a high street shop, the transmissions are not all open. Most of the teams use standard narrowband FM mode, no different really than any decent walkie talkie, but some teams (Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Force India) have digitally encrypted transmissions.

My simple setup was this...
A few kilometers from the track, a Bearcat 120XLT scanner with homemade antenna (a bit better than the simple rubber ducky whip), with the audio fed into the line input of my computer. Running the free Windows Media Encoder software.
So simple, anyone in a hotel near a track could do it if they had internet access there... hint hint.

#23 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:46

Really great listening to the radio and great new insight into the racing. Fascinating infact hearing conversation in full. Really difficult to hear sitting by my computer cannot imagine what it's like in the car driving at the same time!

#24 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:44

this really shows that, Lewis and Mclaren screwed up and mistakenly let Trulli pass them
but then going to FIA and to tell a lie to get that position back?!
Wow thats very Mclarenish! :drunk:

#25 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:46

does anyone even know what lie has supposed to have being said

#26 rayyu882

rayyu882

• 432 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:58

does anyone even know what lie has supposed to have being said