Photo

HSCC Donington

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:06

I see that at the last minute (according to Autosport), Donington has been granted a temporary licence by the MSA for it's season opening meeting this coming Sunday 5th April. The problem is that the current building work has reduced the run-off between McLeans & Coppice, and racing will take place under yellow flags between the exit of McLeans and the entrance to Coppice.
I've never heard of anything like this happening anywhere before for a whole meeting, and it should make for a rather interesting meeting! Pity the poor flag marshal's arms :cry: These rules also apply to the previous day's MGCC meeting.
I shall be in attendance with the 10th Anniversary badge samples, if any TNF'rs are attending and would like to take a look at them. The actual shirt samples are due next week hopefully for posting on the thread.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2009-04-02

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:15

This has been a hot topic of debate on the other historic racing forum. A tricky time for many preparing cars and trying to organise travel/hotels etc. A very good entry too from the HSCC website, so not all doom & gloom.
http://www.hscc.org......ntry List.pdf

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:30

But could it be the Road to Hell?? I see Chris Rea is entered in the Guards Trophy race in a Lotus Elan 26R............. :smoking:

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:33

...........and our own Marcus Mussa in the F3 race in a Modus M1........... :up:

#5 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:14

I am in the Guards Trophy and I have to say that I am trying to decide whether it will be worth getting up at 6am for - Starkeys Bridge to Coppice is about 1/3 of a lap and if you are stuck behind a slower car for all of that period any chances of catching the person in front is then lost!

#6 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:24

Originally posted by simon drabble
I am in the Guards Trophy and I have to say that I am trying to decide whether it will be worth getting up at 6am for - Starkeys Bridge to Coppice is about 1/3 of a lap and if you are stuck behind a slower car for all of that period any chances of catching the person in front is then lost!

Without viewing that section of the track myself, it is difficult to comment, but I rather suspect it to be a case of MSA "elf'n safety" taking over. The run-off area may fall short of the prescribed distance, but be acceptable in reality. After all, if there was a hint of it being that bad, they wouldn't grant a licence at all.

I wonder what would happen if everyone just chose to ignore the yellows.......??? Not that I'm suggesting that should happen at all; perish the thought................! :rolleyes:

#7 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:01

according to the HSCC website anybody who breaks the rules runs the risk of the day being cancelled.... probably why the Formula Ford race is the last on the card! :lol:

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,532 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:09

oi, watch it, Drabble!! LOL. (no.89, although I haven't entered for this one).

#9 ErleMin

ErleMin

• 85 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:14

Hopefully it doesn't overshadow the first appearance of SuperVees in this country for a long time.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:16

Originally posted by simon drabble
according to the HSCC website anybody who breaks the rules runs the risk of the day being cancelled.... probably why the Formula Ford race is the last on the card! :lol:

.....and the HSCC aren't back at Donington again this year........... ;)

I'm looking forward to the Formula Ford Race now............... :kiss:

#11 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 419 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:24

At least some of the crowd might stay to the end if the FF1600 race is last . That way they will see some competitive driving as well as the parade of the profilers.
The comment regarding the FF1600 being last is typical of the hooray Henry brigade !
Rant over .

#12 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:40

In actual fact, it's the Historic FF2000 race that's last, but I'm sure we'll do our best to entertain!

#13 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:48

Without viewing that section of the track myself, it is difficult to comment, but I rather suspect it to be a case of MSA "elf'n safety" taking over. The run-off area may fall short of the prescribed distance, but be acceptable in reality.

Just to clarify, the new tunnel is now protected by an earth bank, with Rectocele (spl?) foam barriers in front. On the inside of the track, this is no more than 3 feet from the edge of the track, on what is a pretty quick bit of track. It's not too bad on the outside of the track, as the barrier also has a gravel trap ahead of it.

The yellow flags will cover from McLeans 'out' (rather than from Starkeys) to Coppice 'in', circa 100 yards. Hopefully, some sort of pole flag pole will be provided for the Marshalls!

I was testing on Tuesday (with some jolly nice HSCC cars!) and am racing with MGCC on Saturday.

DC

#14 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:41

Originally posted by llmaurice
At least some of the crowd might stay to the end if the FF1600 race is last . That way they will see some competitive driving as well as the parade of the profilers.
The comment regarding the FF1600 being last is typical of the hooray Henry brigade !
Rant over .

actually more a friendly dig at FF having a reputation for being a contact sport which is not a class comment.
Hooray Henry's racing? I think you need to get off your computor and get out a bit more as I dont know any who do....

#15 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,693 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 13:39

Originally posted by CoulthardD
The yellow flags will cover from McLeans 'out' (rather than from Starkeys) to Coppice 'in', circa 100 yards. Hopefully, some sort of pole flag pole will be provided for the Marshalls!

I was testing on Tuesday (with some jolly nice HSCC cars!) and am racing with MGCC on Saturday.

DC

So only a couple of hundred yards of a lap will be under the yellow - that isn't as bad as some were suggesting.

As you will know DC the practice at hillclimb courses is to set-up a length of scaffolding tube to act as the 'flag pole'.

:wave:

My spies tell me that the question of a track license is still unresolved! :confused:

#16 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:04

Anyone else racing, marshalling, spectating tomorrow? Weather forcast is good! :up:

#17 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 16:50

I'll be there tending my Historic FF2000 flock - you can't miss me, I'm the middle-aged grey balding one...

The officials are very serious about the yellow flag zone, any transgressors today were immediately sent home.

#18 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 17:03

Originally posted by Cirrus
I'll be there tending my Historic FF2000 flock - you can't miss me, I'm the middle-aged grey balding one...

The officials are very serious about the yellow flag zone, any transgressors today were immediately sent home.

Is it a big issue Alan, or is it easy to factor into a decent lap?

#19 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:55

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Giraffe trying to sign up Chris Rea to TNF today at Donington, only to find he's not even got an e-mail address! :

Advertisement

#20 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:59

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Chris was racing his ex-Bob Jane Lotus Elan 26R for the first time.
He finished the race, but blew the head gasket on the BRM twin-cam.

#21 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:07

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Posted Image
By giraffe138

"Dark Invader!" TNF'r Marcus Mussa prepares for battle in his Modus M1 in the Classic Formula 3 event at Donington today. (Apologies for the backlight). ):

#22 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:19

Looking forward to seeing your other photos of the event Giraffe :)

#23 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,340 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:56

"Chris was racing his ex-Bob Jane Lotus Elan 26R for the first time.
He finished the race, but blew the head gasket on the BRM twin-cam."

Over-revved it? Should have known better but, damn, they sound good at 10k!!!!!!! :rotfl:

#24 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:46

Guards Trophy was probably the race with the largest speed differential from front to back of the grid and it passed without incident.
A large deposit of oil 2/3rds through the race took out a red 26R (not Schryver's one but the other one) but otherwise apart from Wheatcroft Straight ending up looking like a parking lot (there was an Elva, B8 and the 26R all within a few yards of each other!) the race was thankfully uneventful and it was agreed before the race to not be a championship round. Chris Rea is a wonderfully down to earth bloke and hope we see him and the other new comers to the series at Silverstone for the 1 hour race in May. Full grids all day so HSCC seem to be looking in good shape...

#25 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 21:37

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
Looking forward to seeing your other photos of the event Giraffe :)

Apologies for the delay.....

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2009-04-06

Andy Newall won the Guards Trophy event in the JCB Chevron B8

Posted Image

...but he was challenged to the line by Ted Williams in his Ginetta G16

Posted Image

Andy Shepherd raced his lovely Lotus 23B

Posted Image

and Paul Castaldini took the grid in his magnificent E-Type

Posted Image

The winners & class winners of the Guards Trophy in the pitlane

Posted Image

....& TNF'r Marcus Mussa struts his stuff in his Modus M1.

#26 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 22:25

An unexpected surprise at Donington on Sunday, my partner and myself parked outside the paddock entrance at 12.30pm (the infield now being closed to vehicles) expecting to pay £12 each entrance. To our surprise & delight, there was nobody at all on the gate and we just waltzed in free gratis! What was that all about?!?! :clap:

#27 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,532 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:17

and no FFord pictures?? Unbelievable!

#28 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:26

Originally posted by Gary C
and no FFord pictures?? Unbelievable!

I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that with a full grid for the race on Sunday, a girlie managed to beat all but 2 of the chaps........... :blush: Well driven Amanda Whitaker in her lovely Elden Mk8! :clap:

#29 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:36

Bet Amanda didn't do a "Management in Motorsports" course...

#30 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,532 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:19

'a girlie managed to beat all but 2 of the chaps...........'
Oh blimey, good job I wasn't racing then, would have been even more embarrassing!

#31 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,094 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:09

Giraffe, did you get any pictures of the FF2000 or CF3 race?

#32 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:48

Just out of interest - Amanda W won both FF races at Cadwell yesterday.

#33 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,668 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 14:17

Pleased to hear tha Amanda is continuing her winning streak. A pretty formidable competitor in all the single-seater categories she has contested over the years, right up to European Historic F2, since I first saw her race in FF some 18 years ago - can it really be that long ago?

#34 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 18:54

I watched qualifying at Hall Bends, and the race at the Gooseneck. AW's commitment and tidiness through the slow stuff was very impressive, as was her overtaking of Westie Mitchell at Charlies.

She's expressed an interest in doing Historic FF2000 - we'd love to have her racing with us - she'd keep Neil Fowler honest.

#35 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 14:11

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
Giraffe, did you get any pictures of the FF2000 or CF3 race?

Sorry Paul, I was only carrying my Casio Exilim which is only 2.0 megapixels, and the size of a creditcard! I only use it for close-ups & id. at races. I'll take my bigger kit in future, promise!

#36 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 17:46

So could this HSCC meeting have been the last race meeting at Donington - ever?

Although the HSCC weekend ran on a one off 'weekend track licence', subsequent race meetings have been cancelled, relocated etc., due to the ongoing building work in the McLeans / Coppice area.
There have been lots of assurances that "everything will be OK, trust us", but now this

Now Donington Leisure is being sued for unpaid rent by Wheatcroft
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/74717

#37 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,668 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 18:53

Originally posted by Ian Smith - Diz
Now Donington Leisure is being sued for unpaid rent by Wheatcroft

Well I never. What a surprise....

#38 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 19:02

All working out exactly as BCE hoped, I suspect.

#39 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 21:48

Originally posted by Barry Boor
All working out exactly as BCE hoped, I suspect.

Somewhere back on this thread I said that I'd eat my hat if the GP ever made it back to Donington; my hat has just breathed a sigh of relief............. sadly.......... ):