Photo

Movable front wings - teams that are running them

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 plg101

plg101

• 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:45

It seems clear from the TV coverage which teams are running KERS - but I haven't seen a definitive list anywhere - or heard it talked much about in race coverage about which teams have a movable front wing, or it if is clear when it has been activated (the TV graphic shows the KERS charge, but not the wing position)

Is it as simple as they are all running it, but it isn't reported through telemetry? Or is there a mix of teams with different configurations?

Advertisement

#2 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:46

I think they all have movable front wings.

#3 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:48

I'm surprised this hasn't received more notice too. Frankly, I expect it to be almost as significant as KERS, yet I've heard very little spoken about it.

#4 SchumiBoy

SchumiBoy

• 1,261 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:49

I think it was Force India that mentioned that they have no movable elements on their wing

#5 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:49

Originally posted by tkulla
I'm surprised this hasn't received more notice too. Frankly, I expect it to be almost as significant as KERS, yet I've heard very little spoken about it.

Because they all have them (except Force India). So you dont notice the differences.

#6 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:51

Originally posted by Madras

Because they all have them. So you dont notice the differences.

But I expected a bit of talk about how they're being used. For instance, are drivers using it to grab back some front downforce when following another car (it's intended use) or are they using it to take off some downforce (and hence a bit of drag) on the straights?

#7 plg101

plg101

• 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:53

Because they all have them (except Force India). So you dont notice the differences.

But surely there would be variation in the time of activation / benefits from different angles in the settings?

Or is it all on one mode switch - generally KERS is activated on the straight - so activate KERS>reduce wing angle> KERS off > resume wing position?

#8 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:55

Originally posted by plg101

But surely there would be variation in the time of activation / benefits from different angles in the settings?

Or is it all on one mode switch - generally KERS is activated on the straight - so activate KERS>reduce wing angle> KERS off > resume wing position?

It's probably not been talked about much because it's very hard to tell what they're doing with the wing settings. How is anyone supposed to know? KERS is a bit more obvious.

#9 plg101

plg101

• 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:55

Originally posted by tkulla

But I expected a bit of talk about how they're being used. For instance, are drivers using it to grab back some front downforce when following another car (it's intended use) or are they using it to take off some downforce (and hence a bit of drag) on the straights?

Exactly - some commentary about "and Massa is catching Alonso; on the last straight he used all of his KERS reserve, and can see he has used one of his wing activations as well"

The FIA were pushing for more transparency - pit radio, etc, which is good, KERS charge from telemetry (also good) - but not seen anything related to this at all. Most strange.

#10 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 14:57

Is the average fan going to be interested in how many wing flap activations a car has used? To be honest I couldnt give a rat's ass.

#11 plg101

plg101

• 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:01

Is the average fan going to be interested in how many wing flap activations a car has used? To be honest I couldnt give a rat's ass.

I'm not suggesting that you should care.... but as this is an F1 related forum I thought I would throw the question out to the wise...

I'm just curious that it has had almost zero mention in the coverage, whilst KERS has had a lot. Most fans don't car about any of the tech, and with the colour schemes and sponsors removed, 80-90% can't tell one car from another (I think Autosport had a test earlier in the year)...

#12 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:05

Alonso and Hamilton where asked about this movable front wing in Australias thursday press conference (IIRC), and both of them said that they didnĀ“t use it.

#13 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:05

You are right it hasnt had much mention, and it's possible that it's because it doesnt actually have much effect, and they probably all use the wing changes at the same times - when they get to long straights for example. I think it's just not very interesting, since they can only change twice a lap.

#14 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:06

Originally posted by David Ricardo
Alonso and Hamilton where asked about this movable front wing in Australias thursday press conference (IIRC), and both of them said that they didnĀ“t use it.

Yes, I'm not surprised. It's probably more of a distraction than an advantage.

#15 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,871 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:18

Redbull and Toro Rosso do not have moveable elements.

#16 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:20

Looks like they're less effective even than KERS.

#17 plg101

plg101

• 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:26

Originally posted by EvilPhil II
Redbull and Toro Rosso do not have moveable elements.

Cool - thanks - and if Alonso and Hamilton aren't using it, then that's at least 6 drivers who aren't...

#18 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:40

It's probably not been talked about much because it's very hard to tell what they're doing with the wing settings. How is anyone supposed to know? KERS is a bit more obvious.

KERS is a bit more obvious? How could you tell a car is running KERS, assuming you have no prior knowledge of which teams are running KERS?

-KB

#19 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:46

Originally posted by plg101

Cool - thanks - and if Alonso and Hamilton aren't using it, then that's at least 6 drivers who aren't...

They're only allowed to move one element and on the multi-element wings they're all using I suspect that must make the adjustment pretty ineffective, with messing up the relationship between the surfaces.

Advertisement

#20 leomax

leomax

• 164 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 15:50

Originally posted by David Ricardo

That was after practice and not race,right?

#21 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,197 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 16:05

Originally posted by Kelateboy

KERS is a bit more obvious? How could you tell a car is running KERS, assuming you have no prior knowledge of which teams are running KERS?

-KB

Depends when you watch them. KERS cars overtook non-KERS like they were standing still in Oz.
But you're right though, without them actively deploying it in a situation like that, it's impossible to tell.

#22 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 16:47

I am pretty sure that at least Piquet jr. has a movable front wing. Maybe we will see it in action at tomorrow's start.

#23 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 17:02

u can hear the engine rev up much quicker when they use kers, i think ?
they should have lights on the cars like they do in sportscars tbh

#24 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:12

Originally posted by Man of the race
I am pretty sure that at least Piquet jr. has a movable front wing. Maybe we will see it in action at tomorrow's start.

It certainly moves every time he crashes.

#25 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:38

I think engaging KERS and the moveable wings although not impossible would be a little too much at once. I wonder if the teams have set the KERS system so that when its engaged the wings drop too. After all you'll only need KERS on a straight and to overtake.

#26 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:39

From what I understand A. Changing the wings has practically no effect, and B. No one is doing it.

#27 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:41

Originally posted by slideways
From what I understand A. Changing the wings has practically no effect, and B. No one is doing it.

That's what I suspected. It would end up more of a distraction than anything, if you forgot to raise the wings for a corner you might go off.

#28 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:48

Originally posted by slideways

Today Ferrari asked Massa to make more use of the movable front wing, according to the BBC.

#29 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:50

Originally posted by Pingguest

Today Ferrari asked Massa to make more use of the movable front wing, according to the BBC.

Probably just wanted him to alter it's position perminantly.

#30 BootLace

BootLace

• 213 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:13

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/7984343.stm (1min30s in or so).

Button mentions it wasn't working for him on two different front wings, and appears he'd like to use it. Sounded like it was being used to optimise for lap time as opposed to helping with overtaking.

Pre-Australia, the few comments about movable wings tended to be along the lines of "I wasn't following anyone so couldn't tell".

#31 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 15:03

Probably just wanted him to alter it's position perminantly.

According to the BBC, Ferrari wanted Massa to change the front wing settings because he lost front end grip due to turbulence.

#32 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:15

With the severely limited testing this year on Fridays, a movable wing element probably adds too many variables to test adequately. You would have to test the wing positions with the various combinations of fuel, tires, KERS, etc.