Photo

Hamilton considered quitting over scandal (merged)

• Please log in to reply
382 replies to this topic

#1 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 23:55

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/74279

I was shocked until I read this part::rotfl:

The newspaper claims that the world champion was talked out of walking away from the sport by FIA president Max Mosley

Max was the one who wanted to remove Lewis from the Championship in 2007 but Bernie stopped it :lol:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/62451

"I would have taken all the points away from Hamilton and Alonso on the grounds that there is a suspicion they had an advantage that they should not have had," said Mosley.

Advertisement

#2 jesee

jesee

• 1,651 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:07

Though i feel for lewis, i would be very dissapointed if he was to walk away from a team which gave him the chance to be who he is. He has to stick with Maca through the good and bad times. People make mistakes and to walk away is cowardice. This was one man who led him to lie not the whole team. Think of all those engineers and mechanics who work hard to give him a championship winning car. Stick with it i say!

#3 slideways

slideways

• 3,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:13

Originally posted by alg7_munif
http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/74279

I was shocked until I read this part::rotfl:

Max was the one who wanted to remove Lewis from the Championship in 2007 but Bernie stopped it :lol:

No, he wanted to remove McLaren. That's why they excluded the constructor points and not the drivers (well, and the fact that the drivers provided evidence in exchange for a free pass).

I think if I was him, I'd be out of there like you can't believe. Get McLaren to offer Vettel or Webber or someone a straight swap for the next couple of years.

#4 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,254 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:20

Hamilton, talented driver that he is, just needs to grow up some. His career with McLaren basically started what, about 10 years ago. So he's been "coddled" by the team for a long time and now he's seeing what the real world can bring.

#5 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:21

Lewis owes a lot to Mclaren. They made him a pilot when he still was a nobody. He can talk about changing something in the team, but he shouldn´t walk away. I don´t think there is another team on the grid that would give him the kind of treatment he´s been getting this years.

#6 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:23

hmmmm I guess if Max is going to bring this to the WMSC is going to fine McLaren, dock constructor points but leave Lewis alone

#7 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:23

It's time for him to move to Ferrari! I hope he can reconcile with Alonso - I'm sure lolonso wouldn't hold anything against him, it's corporate McLaren that is evil, not Lewis.

Alonso and Lewis at Ferrari next year, man I would blow my load instantly if that were to happen! :love: :love:

btw here is the Sunday Times article:
http://www.timesonli...icle6037246.ece

and Brundle's column
http://www.timesonli...ffset=12&page=2

#8 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:25

If it was me, I would just tell them this: "F*ck off! Call me a liar, call me a cheat, I could care less about it. I worked hard on the track to get the position and yes, I wanted the third place. Since you asked me about it, I just answered something that would give me an advantage to get the third position. Instead of asking me what happened, why don't you move your lazy fat a$$ and do your job correctly. You have all the data, you have the videos and you have the audios, why can't you just do your job correctly in the first place? We have also asked for a clarification during the race but didn't get an answer, and yet now you are trying to call me a cheat? We also didn't protest the race result in the first place"

Too bad that he couldn't just say this because FIA must be threatening them with further actions, all these are just to cover up their $hit. :mad:

#9 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

• 96 posts

Oh, the drama...

#10 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,314 posts

this story has no credibility whatsoever, imo.

#11 slideways

slideways

• 3,078 posts

Originally posted by rolf123
It's time for him to move to Ferrari! I hope he can reconcile with Alonso - I'm sure lolonso wouldn't hold anything against him, it's corporate McLaren that is evil, not Lewis.

Alonso and Lewis at Ferrari next year, man I would blow my load instantly if that were to happen! :love: :love:

btw here is the Sunday Times article:

As much as I've wanted to see Alonso go up against Kimi for the last 5+ years, that would actually be pretty cool to watch. :cool:

#12 as65p

as65p

• 16,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:27

from the article:

Hamilton contacted the governing body to express his frustration

:lol: blackmail, anyone?

This is getting so funny.... :drunk:

#13 P1McLarenMercedes

P1McLarenMercedes

• 175 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:30

If it was me, I would just tell them this: "F*ck off! Call me a liar, call me a cheat, I could care less about it. I worked hard on the track to get the position and yes, I wanted the third place. Since you asked me about it, I just answered something that would give me an advantage to get the third position. Instead of asking me what happened, why don't you move your lazy fat a$$ and do your job correctly. You have all the data, you have the videos and you have the audios, why can't you just do your job correctly in the first place? We have also asked for a clarification during the race but didn't get an answer, and yet now you are trying to call me a cheat? We also didn't protest the race result in the first place"

Too bad that he couldn't just say this because FIA must be threatening them with further actions, all these are just to cover up their $hit. :mad:

exactly what i wouldve said too. :up: :up: :up:

#14 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Originally posted by slideways

No, he wanted to remove McLaren. That's why they excluded the constructor points and not the drivers (well, and the fact that the drivers provided evidence in exchange for a free pass).

I think if I was him, I'd be out of there like you can't believe. Get McLaren to offer Vettel or Webber or someone a straight swap for the next couple of years.

"I would have taken all the points away from Hamilton and Alonso on the grounds that there is a suspicion they had an advantage that they should not have had," said Mosley.

#15 as65p

as65p

• 16,620 posts

As much as I've wanted to see Alonso go up against Kimi for the last 5+ years, that would actually be pretty cool to watch. :cool:

x2 to both points. :up:

#16 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:35

Yet another lie...

#17 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,536 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:39

That's the most immature bunch of childish temper tantrum crap I've heard all day. Grow up.

#18 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:39

Originally posted by Verderer
Yet another lie...

Why?

It all adds up.

I reckon that Mark Hughes got this exclusive from Anthony Hamilton who probably spilled all the beans to him.

I thought that Lewis was faking it in his interview but now I believe it to be genuine. I still don't understand why he felt so betrayed though - ultimately he's an adult and responsible for his actions. He did apologise but it didn't sound like he was accepting responsibility.

#19 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:43

If I were McLaren I'd be seriously tempted to ship him out, save the money, bring in Rosberg, Vettel or Kubica maybe and focus on 2010 already.

If I were Hamilton I'd be tempted to jump ship to Red Bull or even offer my services to Brawn on a pay-per-result basis. With the cost-cutting starting to kick in, the big-budget and overstaffed teams are in for some pain for a few years anyway.

Advertisement

#20 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:43

Why?

It all adds up.

I reckon that Mark Hughes got this exclusive from Anthony Hamilton who probably spilled all the beans to him.

I thought that Lewis was faking it in his interview but now I believe it to be genuine. I still don't understand why he felt so betrayed though - ultimately he's an adult and responsible for his actions. He did apologise but it didn't sound like he was accepting responsibility.

There is not a single word from Anthony in the article and...

By Simon Strang

Originally posted by beancounter

You seriously have some growing up to do. That's the most immature bunch of childish temper tantrum crap I've heard all day. Sheesh. I seriously hope you're just an angsty teenager with that childish egoistic rant.

:wave: Hi there, welcome to earth, welcome to real life. :wave:
Please be careful while you are here, there are creatures called human being around and guess what, they are all more or less a liar.

#21 slideways

slideways

• 3,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:44

Fair enough. I still believe Mosely wanted McLaren banned outright rather than specifically penalising the drivers.

#22 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 00:58

Fair enough. I still believe Mosely wanted McLaren banned outright rather than specifically penalising the drivers.

Believe what you want but read the article again and see how Max was disappointed that he couldn't punish the drivers. :smoking:

#23 Red ITC

Red ITC

• 461 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:14

The amount of utter shite written about Hamilton upping sticks is ridiculous. How many $300m race cars are available to him? This is a gut who can elbow Alonso aside, nearly take a debut WDC, actually take one at 2nd attempt etc. No need to run away.

#24 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:15

There is not a single word from Anthony in the article and...

:wave: Hi there, welcome to earth, welcome to real life. :wave:
Please be careful while you are here, there are creatures called human being around and guess what, they are all more or less a liar.

You silly boy, Simon Strang is the Autosport writer. The news item is based on the exclusive by the Sunday Times, written by Mark Hughes. :rotfl:

Of course there's no work from Anthony, this is what happens when a writer works with a confidant. He doesn't name names.

How else do you think this guy knows Lewis' feelings on the matter? This could only come from Anthony Hamilton, his manager.

You need to catch up on how the world media works, mate!
:rotfl:

#25 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:19

You silly boy, Simon Strang is the Autosport writer. The news item is based on the exclusive by the Sunday Times, written by Mark Hughes. :rotfl:

Of course there's no work from Anthony, this is what happens when a writer works with a confidant. He doesn't name names.

How else do you think this guy knows Lewis' feelings on the matter? This could only come from Anthony Hamilton, his manager.

You need to catch up on how the world media works, mate!
:rotfl:

How the hell you know that this guy knows Lewis' feeling on the matter? He could just make things up to sell his story, especially during the heated contoversy. You need to catch up on how the world media works, mate! :rotfl:

This could have just be a lame attempt by the British media to divert publics' attention towards Button from Hamilton since Button is now the driver in a winning car.

#26 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:28

I don't know what to think of this one.

McLaren did manipulate him, no doubt about it. A driver in his seat during a race, the final laps, hard conditions, exhausted, pace car, adrenaline up the roof, all he wants is to beat the guy in front, no matter what. You can't expect the driver to be 100% logical all the time, in such conditions.

In the radio conversations, you could hear how anxious Lewis was to get ahead of Trulli again, how he was pressing the team to get Charlie to clarify his position asap. He is a racer and this what racers do. So, I think in this event, Lewis, who is, after all, still a kid, was easily manipulated by someone who lacked both integrity and brains and Lewis paid with a DSQ as a result.

That said, I find the points in this GV article quite annoying. Again, GV is far from being liquid gold, so I don;t know if any of this is true. Two points bother me a bit:

1) Suddenly, with McLaren potentially facing a season like 2007 Renault or Honda, the Hamiltons are quick in pointing fingers at McLaren, at contract exit loopholes, at quitting F1 and the team..... Last 2 seasons they were all "winning together or losing together". what happened? is that true only when McLaren is the winning horse? Maybe I am just being cynical and it is only an unfortunate coincidence.

2) The little whiny part about " I am not dishonest".....grow up, Lewis, you are in F1, none of you bastards is pure and innocent, competitive as you all are, and, above all, so honest. You are, like most there, a man whose word has little value. You had team orders you had agreed upon, to alternate the lead on qual laps with your teamate and you stuffed Alonso in Hungary 2007, You showed you words is worth zip and you are not honest. Fernando retaliated and rightly so, but later lied about why he left the pit later than the team had planned. Another show of not honesty. It is F1, you all lie at one time or another, stop whining about your purity and go on with developing this that donkey of a car instead. Otherwise, if you keep whining about your honesty, sooner or later you will start sounding like....Ron Dennis and we all know how that one ended.....

#27 Impellam

Impellam

• 222 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:47

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rolf123
It's time for him to move to Ferrari! I hope he can reconcile with Alonso - I'm sure lolonso wouldn't hold anything against him, [B]it's corporate McLaren that is evil, not Lewis.

Dammit Rolf, you've sussed them. Without your insightful investigation, we'd never have known that McLaren are the ones working with North Korea on their nuclear programme, that their Agents Madoff and Stanford successfully completed their mission to de-stabilise the world financial market and that Ron has a secret room next to his office purely for his pursuance of his hobby of torturing cute fluffy kittens. The cover of running a F1 team as the real meaning of 'Project 4' was inspired, but now blown. I just hope that you manage to sleep well tonight and that Woking hasn't dispatched their hit team of satanic goats to violate you in your bed whilst being attacked by their specially trained squad of mutant axe wielding bunnies with halitosis. Yes, I know it's far-fetched, but you started it.....

... anyway, as a fan of Mclaren, I'm now off to torment some blind mice with scratch and sniff pictures of cheese to while away the hours until the race start; not as evil as the team I support I grant you, but they're processed cheese triangles instead of real cheese and hey, when you're evil you've just got to work with what you've got.

#28 HP

HP

• 14,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:54

Why does this story sound unbelieveable to some?

Consider what he said in Monaco back in 2007.

Ron Dennis did a lot for LH's career. But Ron Dennis is having less direct involvement with the team. Hamilton does feel more obliged to Ron Dennis, than to the McLaren-Mercedes team. I base that on comments, public appearances over the last few years. If anyone can persuade Hamilton to stay for the long term despite this mess, then it's Ron Dennis.

#29 HP

HP

• 14,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:58

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Impellam
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rolf123
It's time for him to move to Ferrari! I hope he can reconcile with Alonso - I'm sure lolonso wouldn't hold anything against him, [B]it's corporate McLaren that is evil, not Lewis.

Dammit Rolf, you've sussed them. Without your insightful investigation, we'd never have known that McLaren are the ones working with North Korea on their nuclear programme, that their Agents Madoff and Stanford successfully completed their mission to de-stabilise the world financial market and that Ron has a secret room next to his office purely for his pursuance of his hobby of torturing cute fluffy kittens. The cover of running a F1 team as the real meaning of 'Project 4' was inspired, but now blown. I just hope that you manage to sleep well tonight and that Woking hasn't dispatched their hit team of satanic goats to violate you in your bed whilst being attacked by their specially trained squad of mutant axe wielding bunnies with halitosis. Yes, I know it's far-fetched, but you started it.....

... anyway, as a fan of Mclaren, I'm now off to torment some blind mice with scratch and sniff pictures of cheese to while away the hours until the race start; not as evil as the team I support I grant you, but they're processed cheese triangles instead of real cheese and hey, when you're evil you've just got to work with what you've got.
[/QUOTE] :rotfl:

Here's something to add to Project 4. The word 4 sounds in Chinese similar to the word death (It has a different tone). So they always worked on Project Death.

Just to be clear, I'm not serious about this.

#30 rsherb

rsherb

• 328 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:59

Isn't this an Autosport grapevine article, which usually means it's a rehash of tabloid shite, and as credible stories go, it's not even F1 planet worthy.

#31 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:04

Absolute rubbish, and plus, if Hamilton was to walk away from Mclaren after all they have done for him, he would be the biggest fool in F1 for a long long time

#32 HP

HP

• 14,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:07

Originally posted by rsherb
Isn't this an Autosport grapevine article, which usually means it's a rehash of tabloid shite, and as credible stories go, it's not even F1 planet worthy.

They put also stories there, that are not directly related to racing, but are stories that involve people that are racing.

Follow the link for a good example

Alonso trains with Tour winner

#33 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:07

Breaking news!!! I was taking a walk in Sepang and I stumbled upon... Bernie's script for the season. It goes on like this:

It will be a title fight between two guys from Britain. The bad guy is a reigning world champion who was a hero but after driving in an "evil" team for a long time, he soon turns into a "cheat" himself without even knowing it. It started out with a simple race but because of "greed", he "lied" and he was caught. Now the whole world knows that he is no longer a hero, he is just a person who wants to beat others with any possible means.

His opponent was a nobody, driving in once an underdog car but under a new British owner, they started out fresh, forgetting the past. They almost didn't make it for the season but somehow, they managed to pull it off. Starting up from scratch, they are now a new team with a new look. Free from any scandals and as white as their livery, they are literally a VIRGIN. With their creative innovation and secret weapon called the "diffusor of justice", they will be winning races. However, their lack of testing will affect their reliabilty and because of this, the "evil" team will be able to catch them up later in the season especially after their "diffusor of justice" was copied by the "evil" team, afterall that is the only thing that the "evil" team excel at, "copying" and "cheating".

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#34 klyster

klyster

• 4,154 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:10

Originally posted by klyster

:up:
I'll wait for comments by Lewis and *gasp* Max, before I rise to any conclusion.

#35 slideways

slideways

• 3,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:13

I think Autosport came up with grapevine to be able to post stories they have no credible evidence for. Basically rumour central.

#36 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:13

No, it's a rehash of a Sunday Times original. The Sunday Times is a broadsheet, not a tabloid.

#37 Jack Burton

Jack Burton

• 400 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:14

For someone who has been handed nearly his entire career on a silver platter he certainly loves to play the victim.

Maybe you shouldn't have lied Lewis.

#38 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:15

Originally posted by jesee
Though i feel for lewis, i would be very dissapointed if he was to walk away from a team which gave him the chance to be who he is. He has to stick with Maca through the good and bad times. People make mistakes and to walk away is cowardice. This was one man who led him to lie not the whole team. Think of all those engineers and mechanics who work hard to give him a championship winning car. Stick with it i say!

Even Lewis Hamilton could not make a winning car out of a dog. And to date, McLaren is quite a dog compared to Brawn GP and Toyota.

-KB

#39 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:21

Yeah he considered quitting. Go ahead. Tell me another lie.

This fake news has been leaked to media to preserve Lewis' image by showing that he too is unhappy with Mclaren.

Advertisement

#40 nestor

nestor

• 412 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:21

Originally posted by Kelateboy

Even Lewis Hamilton could not make a winning car out of a dog. And to date, McLaren is quite a dog compared to Brawn GP and Toyota.

-KB

Well , Alonso did just that last season ( making that Dog into a race winner) so I don't see why Lewis can't do the same , afterall , everybody seems to think that LH is an equal to Alonso if not better ....

#41 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:23

Originally posted by nestor

Well , Alonso did just that last season ( making that Dog into a race winner) so I don't see why Lewis can't do the same , afterall , everybody seems to think that LH is an equal to Alonso if not better ....

Even if he did it, somebody will just call it lucky. :p

#42 klyster

klyster

• 4,154 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:30

We'll have to wait and see.

Alonso only won in the last part of the season, and ironically, he scored a 4th on his first race after qualifying 12th, now if this debacle with lying Lewis hadn't have happened, Lewis would have finished 3rd or 4th, which ever way you want to look at it.

So let's wait until the last part of the season, and I'm pretty sure we'll see Lewis standing on the podium with a grin on his face.

*note: remember how many cars finished at Melbourne last year?*;)

#43 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,386 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:37

Well , Alonso did just that last season ( making that Dog into a race winner)

Really? Alonso is a designer, engineer, fabricator and mechanic. :drunk: :rolleyes:

#44 nestor

nestor

• 412 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:53

Originally posted by senna da silva

Really? Alonso is a designer, engineer, fabricator and mechanic. :drunk: :rolleyes:

No , he is not (I never said he was , you are the one saying it ) , but he is a hell of a good race car driver and developer , something that Lewis seems to lack ( the last part that is ) , and that is wht a team like Renault needs in order to evolve a car , someone who can let them know where the car needs to improve, and according to Pat Symmonds and pretty much the whole Renault team , that is exactly what Alonso does , just like MS just to do at Ferrari , or do you think is a pure coincidence that Ferrari sucks at the moment without Schumacher ?

#45 pjabyrne

pjabyrne

• 113 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:02

I'm sorry if this comes across as another example of Hamilton-bashing - guilty as charged :blush: - but the bare-faced selfishness of Hamilton to wash his hands of responsibility for this debacle and lay the blame squarely at the door of Dave Ryan (and McLaren)...it beggers belief....

Just an example:

He expressed his frustration that he had been led by McLaren into falsely telling the stewards he had not been instructed to allow Trulli past and that he was so disenchanted he was considering leaving the team and the sport. It is believed Mosley advised the driver not to do this. :rolleyes:

Shortly afterwards Hamilton and his father Anthony are believed to have demanded that McLaren allow the driver to hold his own press conference, in which he laid the blame fully on the team’s sporting director Dave Ryan ...

I believe Lewis is fully aware of his commercial value to the sport and used the quit threat to wriggle himself out of trouble and distance himnself from the McLaren team lest they face draconian sanctions. Leave the sport? Not in a million years! Leave the team? ...maybe the writings on the wall (especially if someone can provide him with a quicker car in the future).

Listening to Brundle, Coulthard and Jordan today I don't think F1 insiders are impressed by the fact that Dave Ryan has been left 'carrying the can' (Brundle's words). He was a long-standing and popular figure and he was screwed over to protect the 'star' driver

So he's not just prepared to cheat and lie but also ready to lay the blame on squarely on someone else when the **** hits the fan!!!!!

Jeez that Lewis Hamilton is some class act :rolleyes: :lol:

#46 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:04

:wave:

#47 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:16

I am not a Hamilton fan, but he told the whole world about what happened minutes after the race ended. As we all know by now, what he said to the reporters then was the truths.

Somehow he changed his story when he went to the Steward with Dave Ryan. To me, there is every indication that he was told to parrot the team's lines by Ryan.

That explains why he was so upset with the team and had to tell his side of the story.

-KB

#48 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:18

Originally posted by Kelateboy
I am not a Hamilton fan, but he told the whole world about what happened minutes after the race ended. As we all know by now, what he said to the reporters then was the truths.

Somehow he changed his story when he went to the Steward with Dave Ryan. To me, there is every indication that he was told to parrot the team's lines by Ryan.

That explains why he was so upset with the team and had to tell his side of the story.

-KB

Should of thought about that knowing full well he was telling a porky pie.

#49 chrisj

chrisj

• 573 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:27

There was speculation in one of the articles that Hamilton could use this incident to get a release from his McLaren contract -- so where would he go? Would he sit out the rest of the year, or be welcomed at another team, and at which other driver's expense?

#50 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,790 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:46

Originally posted by chrisj
There was speculation in one of the articles that Hamilton could use this incident to get a release from his McLaren contract -- so where would he go? Would he sit out the rest of the year, or be welcomed at another team, and at which other driver's expense?

Lewis and Fernando to Ferrari for Raikkonen and Massa.

-KB