Photo

Question for Brits: Do You Prefer Button or Hamilton?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Question for Brits: Do You Prefer Button or Hamilton? (289 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Button (204 votes [70.83%])

Percentage of vote: 70.83%

2. Hamilton (84 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Handwashed

Handwashed

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:46

Which Brit does it for you? :love:

Advertisement

#2 Cosworth-Daz

Cosworth-Daz

• 50 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:10

I prefer button as a person,

But lewis as a driver.

#3 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:25

Poor Lewis doesn't have a single vote..

#4 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:27

If you're a nationalistic supporter then I would say both.

If you're racist or prejudiced against class then one might vote one way or the other.

Personally I prefer to support Ferrari and Alonso!

Many British supported Schumacher and Senna actually. I remember when Senna died there were many who went to the gates of the Williams factor in Didcot.

#5 Handwashed

Handwashed

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:27

Originally posted by Chubby_Deuce
Poor Lewis doesn't have a single vote..

Probably because he's a liar. :

#6 BWL

BWL

• 276 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:34

I see that Lewis finally voted for himself.

#7 Handwashed

Handwashed

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:35

Originally posted by BWL
I see that Lewis finally voted for himself.

I think it was Anthony actually. ;)

#8 Handwashed

Handwashed

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:36

Originally posted by Handwashed

I think it was Anthony actually. ;)

And Nick as well. ;)

#9 Handwashed

Handwashed

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:38

And Nick as well. ;)

And Nicole. :lol:

#10 travbrad

travbrad

• 619 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:42

I imagine the results would have been very different if you asked this question last year, when Lewis was winning the championship and Button was dead slow. Lewis is in a slow car this year, and just got slaughtered by the press, whereas Button is the underdog "coming good" (it's really just that his car doesn't suck like it used to).

I remember when Barrichello was driving for Ferrari he was always rated among the top drivers in these polls, but as soon as he left, he suddenly vanished off the lists of "top drivers". The same thing happened to Massa, except in reverse.

#11 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:51

As someone else said in another thread.

Sarcastically looking it all works well for them, The guy built around himself more controvery in 2 years and two race weekends than Michael Schumacher did in his whole career. Also while set to muscle his crap car in the midfield he gets 3 times more headlines in UK than Jenson Button going from pole to win to pole to win in his cindirella story car...

This tells you the interest between the 2 and Hamilton fans tend to be the silent majority, not the vocal minority.

#12 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:52

Originally posted by The Ragged Edge

This tells you the interest between the 2 and Hamilton fans tend to be the silent majority, not the vocal minority.

What??

#13 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:54

Hamilton is maybe better driver (but it would be only possible to judge if they drove for the same car) but I prefer Button's character much more.

#14 fifi

fifi

• 12,151 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:19

wheres the option for neither of them

#15 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 532 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:56

Where's the option for "I watch the racing, not the drivers"?

#16 Lopek

Lopek

• 207 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:22

Button, but I prefer Anthony Davidson to both of them.

#17 jesee

jesee

• 1,671 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:40

Which Brit does it for you? :love:

Another useless thread. :down: :down: :down: What for the love of me do you hope to achieve or prove? Very bammy.

#18 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:08

Button, obviously. Button for twelve long years, not going to change my mind now.

#19 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:10

:lol: Wonder what the results would have been like if you've posted it after Brazil last year.
Any way the wind blows I guess :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:12

Weird how Button is now the darling of the board when a few years ago he was getting endlessly slammed for the Williams contract debacle.

How fickle some posters are when they have a blood lust on someone else.

#21 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:14

Believe me, I'm swatting people off the bandwagon as fast as a I can! :lol:

#22 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:14

Well you people are fickle.

#23 howardt

howardt

• 2,102 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:19

I don't really see this as fickle, I think there were a lot of people who preferred Button last year as well, but he just didn't attract any headlines / controversy and was pissing his career away racing against the medical car. Now he's got a top car there's something for the formerly-quiet Button fans to shout about.

#24 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:23

Probably because he's a liar. :

If you're using this incident to assert this, then everyone is a liar.

You are a liar.

Alonso is a liar.

Massa is a liar.

Yet ANOTHER thread with the same motive as all the others.

And what do you MEAN prefer?

Prefer in a Big Brother contestant sense? Or in a racing driver sense?

#25 Brandstormer

Brandstormer

• 273 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:28

I've always liked Button best. His personality reminds me of the days of Jim Clark & Graham Hill when sportsmanship counted for something. I really like Lewis as well, but I just can't stand his Father.

#26 Coral

Coral

• 2,767 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:28

I prefer Lewis, by far. I just think he is great. I have never been able to warm to Button, I don't really know why. But I loved Lewis right from the start. I think it is maybe because I was such a big fan of Senna, and there seems to be a connection there...who knows...:)

#27 Kop Alonso

Kop Alonso

• 277 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:29

Originally posted by Cosworth-Daz

But lewis as a driver.

+1

:)

#28 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:32

Originally posted by Coral
I prefer Lewis, by far. I just think he is great. I have never been able to warm to Button, I don't really know why. But I loved Lewis right from the start. I think it is maybe because I was such a big fan of Senna, and there seems to be a connection there...who knows...:)

Funnily enough one of the many reasons I can't stand the man. I idolised Senna, cannot abide Hamilton.

#29 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:35

I have no problem with any driver on the grid

I like Lewis and Button both, and don't have a problem with that and wouldn't mind if Button wins the WDC, he's a brit, good on him.
They are both different personalities, Buttons a bit more mature, the problem with some of these new F1 drivers, Lewis, Vettel, Piquet, etc, is that they are getting into F1 very young and making mistakes in the spotlight but no allowences are given from a bad section of the F1 crowd. In the past when they started driving in F1 the drivers had already mutured as people and could handle certain situations a lot better.

#30 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:36

Originally posted by TickTickBooom

Funnily enough one of the many reasons I can't stand the man. I idolised Senna, cannot abide Hamilton.

But then the problem is with yourself and not lewis.

#31 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:37

A poll about two drivers - one who for the past 12 years has gotten effectively nowhere - but is on a roll right now with 2 wins in a car that is waltzing the field (and don't take this wrong I am very happy for button that he has a front running car)

The other who has been competitive since his first day in F1 with a WDC title but is now embroiled is a Kafkaesque issue with the FIA.

No chance of people jumping on the bandwagon here or just getting another shot at the driver who, to some, singlehandedly has destroyed F1 in just 2 short years

I am sure that this thread will be a haven of reason and civility

#32 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:40

Originally posted by Anomnader

But then the problem is with yourself and not lewis.

What? How the hell did you work that out?

You know buying a psychology degree over the internet doesn't actually make you qualifed to practice, right?

#33 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:44

It's obvious that anyone in F1 seems 1000x better and people jump on the bandwagon and they are liked more when they have a dominant car. There are exceptions, but talking in general, as in what the polls say.

In late 90's and up until 2004 Schumacher was the best.

In 2005 Kimi was seen as one of the two best drivers. Between him and Alonso. Look what's happened since.

After 06 Alonso was seen as the best driver in F1.

In 07 and 08 Lewis stormed onto the scene.

It won't be long before Button is considered the top driver in F1.

I have often made jokes the last two seasons about how quickly James Allen (and others) jumped off Button so quick when Lewis came along. It now seems it's going the other way again. I'm happy for Jenson but it's all a bit silly. :drunk: :stoned:

#34 trenchcoat

trenchcoat

• 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:45

Originally posted by Brandstormer
I've always liked Button best. His personality reminds me of the days of Jim Clark & Graham Hill when sportsmanship counted for something. I really like Lewis as well, but I just can't stand his Father.

I dont like Buttons dad - he seems like a chav :lol: Serioulsy, Jenson looks like a fun guy. But f**k personality I watch F1 for the racing. The only thing I am interested in is the car performance and how the drivers race. I dont even care about their opinions. All the non -racing gossip and rubbish off the track is for girls and obsesseive fanboys.

#35 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

button for the moment, but when he starts winning all the time, I'll start to dislike him.

#36 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

What? How the hell did you work that out?

You know buying a psychology degree over the internet doesn't actually make you qualifed to practice, right?

You said you can't stand Lewis because you was a big fan of senna. Thats nothing to do with Lewis, all to do with yourself.

#37 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:49

Originally posted by HoldenRT
It's obvious that anyone in F1 seems 1000x better and people jump on the bandwagon and they are liked more when they have a dominant car. There are exceptions, but talking in general, as in what the polls say.

In late 90's and up until 2004 Schumacher was the best.

In 2005 Kimi was seen as one of the two best drivers. Between him and Alonso. Look what's happened since.

After 06 Alonso was seen as the best driver in F1.

In 07 and 08 Lewis stormed onto the scene.

It won't be long before Button is considered the top driver in F1.

I have often made jokes the last two seasons about how quickly James Allen (and others) jumped off Button so quick when Lewis came along. It now seems it's going the other way again. I'm happy for Jenson but it's all a bit silly. :drunk: :stoned:

In the two full seasons Hamiltons been in F1, what's there been to talk about with Button? Even though he was flailing around at the back driving a 3 legged pig, I still seem to recall ITV hunting him down as much as possible to comment on the car, and his expectations.

#38 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:50

You said you can't stand Lewis because you was a big fan of senna. Thats nothing to do with Lewis, all to do with yourself.

I didn't say that. Go back and read it again.

#39 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:54

I didn't say that. Go back and read it again.

Coral: But I loved Lewis right from the start. I think it is maybe because I was such a big fan of Senna, and there seems to be a connection there...who knows...

TickTick: Funnily enough one of the many reasons I can't stand the man. I idolised Senna, cannot abide Hamilton.

How else read it?

Advertisement

#40 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 14,200 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:55

It could probably get you a job in the city as a banker though. :drunk:

#41 Ural

Ural

• 460 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:14

I'm not a Brit, but I prefer Jenson by a mile. Lewis and Jenson are both excellent drivers, but Jenson is A FAIR, A REAL MAN! Jenson is probably the best F1 driver at moment: cool, humble, fast and smooth!

#42 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:18

Originally posted by Ural
but Jenson is A FAIR, A REAL MAN! Jenson is

When Jenson double crossed williams on his contract there was very few people who at that time thought HE WAS A FAIR, A REAL MAN

Completely the total opposite he was looked at something they'd trod in by a lot of forum members at that time.

I think this thread is just another not-so-subtle Lewis bash

#43 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:19

Coral: But I loved Lewis right from the start. I think it is maybe because I was such a big fan of Senna, and there seems to be a connection there...who knows...

TickTick: Funnily enough one of the many reasons I can't stand the man. I idolised Senna, cannot abide Hamilton.

How else read it?

Key phrase there: many reasons.

Just because you like him, doesn't meant that anyone else who doesn't has some sort of issue.

Orignally posted by se7en_24

It could probably get you a job in the city as a banker though. :drunk:

And there was me going to Oxford and Cambridge. Damn!

#44 vicksplum

vicksplum

• 88 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:33

Easy. Jenson!

Great driver and hot as hell! Jenson fan circa 2000!

@ ticktick, who'd want to be a banker. I'd rather make shoes ;)

#45 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:44

Its quite simple for me as a Brit really. I'm a Jenson fan first through and through. The main reason has to be because he came to F1 before Lewis.

Jenson's had his issues in the past in the form of contract wrangling with Williams but I always had sympathy for him because it was Williams who farmed him off into no man's land in favour of Montoya in the first place and it damn near cost him his F1 career. Whereas in contrast Lewis has had it perfect from the word go although I have no issues with that at all. For what its worth I think Lewis is a fantastic racer, very exciting to watch and its a real shame he's tainted his image with the Australia debacle.

#46 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:07

Isn't this just another potentially divisive and opportunistic poll?

Most Brits will support all the British teams and drivers. And currently feel blessed with a 'if it's not one, it will be the other' type outlook regarding Jenson and Lewis, who incidentely has many more years to cement his reputation. Jenson is just a bonus.

Like I say I can only imagine that this is just another potentially divisive and opportunistic poll.

Designed merely to facillitate those that 'need' to, to vote against Hamilton for absolutely anything. Inappropriate considering todays race, still I suppose it serves a purpose by deflecting attention away from other teams performances.

#47 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:09

Originally posted by Cosworth-Daz

But lewis as a driver.

Same :up: Although I should clear by person, I mean personality - at least as far as we can tell from what we see of them publicly.

Although I dare say Jenson would be much more engaging in person than Lewis too though.

#48 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:10

Button, by a country mile.

#49 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:10

Originally posted by vicksplum
Easy. Jenson!

Great driver and hot as hell! Jenson fan circa 2000!

@ ticktick, who'd want to be a banker. I'd rather make shoes ;)

At first I thought huh? And then I saw your post in the Kimi thread and I thought *flail*! ;)

#50 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:15

This strikes me as an odd question. Button's one of the nicest guys on the grid, but Hamilton's the most exciting driver in F1. As I'm not likely to ever meet either, let alone hang out with them, then I can only go on the viewpoint of the spectator. From a spectator's viewpoint surely Hamilton is preferable? Having said that it's great to cheer on Button, Trulli, Vettel, Rosberg, Webber & Glock - great to see these guys at the sharp end of the grid, and fantastic to see Brawn GP off to such a good start.