Photo

Most realistic challenger to Button/Barichello for WDC

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Most realistic challenger to Button/Barichello for WDC (169 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Vettel (32 votes [18.93%])

Percentage of vote: 18.93%

2. Glock (16 votes [9.47%])

Percentage of vote: 9.47%

3. Trulli (47 votes [27.81%])

Percentage of vote: 27.81%

4. Rosberg (11 votes [6.51%])

Percentage of vote: 6.51%

5. Someone else (63 votes [37.28%])

Percentage of vote: 37.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:14

We're only two races in but I'm going to go with Trulli.

Advertisement

#2 peroa

peroa

• 8,831 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:19

On pure speed?
As Button showed today, no one on the horizon so far.

#3 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,074 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:21

Rosberg was a little unlucky in terms of being set for a podium place until the last 3 or 4 laps, so perhaps him? I can't see either Toyota driver really challenging (and if one them did, I think it would likely be Glock rather than Trulli tbh).

#4 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,054 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:22

My man is Rosberg so will go with him.

Based on first two races, and discounting Barichello. The Trulli, Vettel, Rosberg and Glock are the ones close enough on speed to create some trouble for Button.

But until the difuser have been ruled upon by the WMSC it is not possible to know how they front runners may or may not be compromised for the reminder of the season.

:cool:

#5 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:23

Kubica. He's just been very unlucky in the first two races but that will change.

#6 Chicken McNuggets

Chicken McNuggets

• 828 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:26

I went for Glock in the poll, although I'm already preferring Kubica. I'm not confident about including Rosberg as a factor, personally, until he actually starts winning, to be honest. : For him and Williams, that alone is a big enough 'monkey on their back', and although the same arguably applies to Toyota, they have the might of a manufacturer and so would seem to be better candidates to outedevelop Brawn over the season to fight for overall honours. There are a lot of potential threats, in the form of the BMWs now and possibly, or rather surely, the Ferraris and McLarens later, but not on pure pace at all, it seems. The Red Bulls may threaten as well, but it's a little bit too early to tell.

#7 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:39

i voted rosberg but the williams team really need to get points in the bag for that to happen. In these 'tricky' races with safety cars and rain, williams tends to lose out more often than making the right calls (of course, there was melbourne and singapore last year w/ good results). If they can sort their strategy calls i think rosberg is gonna be in the hunt for a solid season.

#8 Rambazamba

Rambazamba

• 356 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:43

nobody

#9 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:46

Trulli + Glock, most consistant non-Brawn car over both races so far.

#10 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:46

I don't any that are on that Poll to be honest.

I think one from Kubica, Lewis, Alonso or Kimi.

One of those teams is going massively improve and start to put up a consistent fight even if it will be too late.

Of those on the poll, probs go with Trulli.

Rosberg, meh, he is a fast good driver, but I don't think he is a racer and is missing something from his makeup that makes you think he will be WDC, and thats the same with many others on that list, they havn't got that supreme confidence of "thinking they are the best" that my choice have.

#11 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:48

ATM i think it will either of Toyota driver ..may be Trulli.

#12 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:51

Nah, it's a done deal- They're out of reach now. I doubt even Barrichello will seriously challenge Button.

#13 Dalek Caan

Dalek Caan

• 460 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:54

Originally posted by Anomnader
I don't any that are on that Poll to be honest.

Rosberg, meh, he is a fast good driver, but I don't think he is a racer and is missing something from his makeup that makes you think he will be WDC, and thats the same with many others on that list, they havn't got that supreme confidence of "thinking they are the best" that my choice have.

But out of interest,m do you think Button would be the best if he won the WDC? Surely if you find Rosberg Subpar, what's so different about Jenson?

Personally, I can see Vettel challenging for the title this year, but I think he may be 1 year too early to actually win it. Kubica and Hamilton seem to be in the best position to capitalise on Ferrari's legendary errors, so that's who Button has to worry about.

#14 27GV

27GV

• 363 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:55

Give it one more race and if Button hits 25 with Kubica/Kimi/Massa/Vettel on zero it's pretty much WDC done for them with cars this close. Only Toyota can really challenge unless the usual suspects can pull out some more pace soon.

#15 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:57

The opposition in the good cars are distictly weak and this pattern will continue. Does anybody believe if Raikkonen, Alonso or Hamilton, was driving a Red-Bull, Toyota or Williams, Button and Brawn would just scamper away unchallenged? One or two of the big teams will get there act together by the 3rd race of the European season. I just hope it aint too late. Even the latest boywonder called Sebastian Vettel, is melting in the wake of having to challenge Button & Brawn. He drove his car into Kubica like a muppet and spun his car out today, when he is supposed to be the rainmeister. As far as i'm concerned, button can only lose it.

#16 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 16:58

Originally posted by Dalek Caan

But out of interest,m do you think Button would be the best if he won the WDC? Surely if you find Rosberg Subpar, what's so different about Jenson?

Jenson the Best if he won the WDC?, nope I don't, but I think he is getting the best out of the fastest car on the grid and plus has a bit more more about him then Rosberg who strikes me as to lightweight, I don't think Rosberg will ever will the WDC

#17 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 17:09

Originally posted by The Ragged Edge
The opposition in the good cars are distictly weak and this pattern will continue. Does anybody believe if Raikkonen, Alonso or Hamilton, was driving a Red-Bull, Toyota or Williams, Button and Brawn would just scamper away unchallenged?

You people amaze me, when the usual suspects are in the front it's the drivers when they struggle it's the car. Kimi has been awful for ages, I wouldn't oput him ahead or any of the drivers int he 4 faster cars except Nakajima.

I could easily argue that Webber, Trulli, Vettel or Rosberg wins the WDC last year in a Ferrari.

#18 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 17:13

webber or one of the ferraris. At a stretch, the mclarens.

yeah, I know that sounds wrong, but I reckon ferrari will have the most resources to catch up. And that red bull is seriously quick, vettel maybe, but still not there yet.

The toyotas are looking strong as well.

#19 pedrovski

pedrovski

• 576 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 17:24

World Motorsport Council???

Brawn have a second/lap in their pocket I can't see that being closed significantly. Another factor is that all these teams behind will be taking points off each other. The teams behind won't be as consistant, the brawn's have enough extra speed they can afford to screw up a bit.

Advertisement

#20 trenchcoat

trenchcoat

• 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 17:52

Lets wait till spain - as of now - no one

#21 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 18:06

Originally posted by Alfisti

You people amaze me, when the usual suspects are in the front it's the drivers when they struggle it's the car. Kimi has been awful for ages, I wouldn't oput him ahead or any of the drivers int he 4 faster cars except Nakajima.

I could easily argue that Webber, Trulli, Vettel or Rosberg wins the WDC last year in a Ferrari.

Thats not my thinking at all. Take Webber for instance, Webber's 2 lap attempt to dispatch a willing Hamilton, was proof positive that he is not WDC material. Trulli is a one trick pony, mega qualifying pace, but his race pace is rubbish. I had hopes of seeing Trulli and Rosberg do what Vettel and Kubica did to Button in Melbourne and keep him honest, but they never had it. Glock couldn't even dispatch Alonso and you think these guys can mount a WDC'ship challenge? :rolleyes: Wait till Raikkonen has Button just in front chasing him, dont believe Button will just scamper away, like he did to Trulli et al. This is the difference.

#22 kNt

kNt

• 1,694 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 18:14

Well if the diffusers aren't banned there won't be serious oppositon, somebody might catch up, but four race into the season at earliest makes the odds look bad for them.

So I voted "someone else".

#23 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,438 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 18:38

Vettel is going to be the most serious contender if the diffuser gets banned, the Red Bull is the best non-diffuser car.

#24 Handwashed

Handwashed

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 18:39

Vettel or Massa.

#25 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,775 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 19:49

Just making a bold prediction, Vettel. Maybe Hamilton if McLaren come competitive quick enough.

#26 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:11

Thats not my thinking at all. Take Webber for instance, Webber's 2 lap attempt to dispatch a willing Hamilton, was proof positive that he is not WDC material. Trulli is a one trick pony, mega qualifying pace, but his race pace is rubbish. I had hopes of seeing Trulli and Rosberg do what Vettel and Kubica did to Button in Melbourne and keep him honest, but they never had it. Glock couldn't even dispatch Alonso and you think these guys can mount a WDC'ship challenge? :rolleyes: Wait till Raikkonen has Button just in front chasing him, dont believe Button will just scamper away, like he did to Trulli et al. This is the difference.

Kimi binned it Melbourne, looked disinterested last year and crashed in Monaco, Alonso was VERY ragged for the first hal of last year, Hamilton nearly threw away two WDC's and Massa has been all over the road in the last two years when something goes wrong.

They all screw up at times and now some of the traditional mid fielders are at the front you'rte saying the Renault, Mc and Ferrari are even worse than they look?

BTW it helps Hamilton when he has the KERS button to push when being passed. At one point in that battle, Webber's rear tyre wa salmost aligned with Hamilton's front tyre and Hamilton hit the KERS button and whooooosh he went.

#27 sopa

sopa

• 2,705 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:14

Brawn is way above others, hence Rosberg and Trulli couldn't do much against Button. Trulli did a miracle in qualifying by getting close to Button. All of them you criticize, would look like gods in a Brawn.

By the way, weren't Ferrari drivers those, who people wanted to get replaced last year for underperforming in the best car? People, time to make up your mind, who is really underperforming and who is not. I get the feeling that everyone is underperforming!:D

#28 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:28

Kubica, once he starts to collect points. He was very consistent last year and the BMW looked good in Melbourne. Heidfeld took second place today and Kubica is no less a driver than his colleague. Right now Button looks untouchable but before the first pit stops there was nothing in between the top three cars so I don't expect him to dominate the races. He's gonna be up there but he won't have it handed on a plate.

#29 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,438 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:01

Originally posted by Motormedia
Kubica, once he starts to collect points. He was very consistent last year and the BMW looked good in Melbourne. Heidfeld took second place today and Kubica is no less a driver than his colleague. Right now Button looks untouchable but before the first pit stops there was nothing in between the top three cars so I don't expect him to dominate the races. He's gonna be up there but he won't have it handed on a plate.

The truth is that the safety car played into Kubica's hands in Melbourne, while the rain played into Heidfeld's hands in Sepang. In terms of pace I sadly don't think this car is impressive at all. Fuel-corrected qualy seems to suggest they're about even with the Ferraris, which would make it joint 5th best car. It just happens that the strategic calls have been very good, in contrast to the terrible calls of the Scuderia.

Kubica is a class driver but he's not able to beat 8 drivers in better cars.

However - if the diffuser isn't banned, Red Bull is said to have a car that won't fit the diffusor at all, Ferrari has to re-design the entire back of the car, BMW doesn't have these problems. So they might be the team that catches up better with the diffuser guys. McLaren might bolt it in quick too, but they have a bigger gap to close up.

#30 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:47

Originally posted by paranoik0

The truth is that the safety car played into Kubica's hands in Melbourne, while the rain played into Heidfeld's hands in Sepang. In terms of pace I sadly don't think this car is impressive at all. Fuel-corrected qualy seems to suggest they're about even with the Ferraris, which would make it joint 5th best car. It just happens that the strategic calls have been very good, in contrast to the terrible calls of the Scuderia.

Kubica is a class driver but he's not able to beat 8 drivers in better cars.

However - if the diffuser isn't banned, Red Bull is said to have a car that won't fit the diffusor at all, Ferrari has to re-design the entire back of the car, BMW doesn't have these problems. So they might be the team that catches up better with the diffuser guys. McLaren might bolt it in quick too, but they have a bigger gap to close up.

Well, the BMW looks good enough to me to take that step to overbridge the advantage Brawn has. I agree that they seem even with Ferrari at the moment. Right now, Brawn, Toyota and Red Bull are ahead but save for Button, I can't see any of their drivers challenging for the WDC. If BMW elevates themselves a notch, Kubica is a challenger, not on speed alone, but on his ability to extract the maximum of his car.

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:49

Originally posted by Motormedia

Well, the BMW looks good enough to me to take that step to overbridge the advantage Brawn has. I agree that they seem even with Ferrari at the moment. Right now, Brawn, Toyota and Red Bull are ahead but save for Button, I can't see any of their drivers challenging for the WDC. If BMW elevates themselves a notch, Kubica is a challenger, not on speed alone, but on his ability to extract the maximum of his car.

The car hjas to jump two notches, one to catch up to that group and one to get ahead of them to chase the BRawn. But then he has to fend of 5 drivers (Trulli/Glock/Vettel/Webber and Rosberg as well as Ferrari's .... impossible.

#32 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:50

However - if the diffuser isn't banned, Red Bull is said to have a car that won't fit the diffusor at all

journalistic bollocks.

I reckon it's just easier to get the same difference in performance by getting a part taken off of someone elses car instead of developing the same part to fit your own car.

#33 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 21:58

Originally posted by Alfisti

The car hjas to jump two notches, one to catch up to that group and one to get ahead of them to chase the BRawn. But then he has to fend of 5 drivers (Trulli/Glock/Vettel/Webber and Rosberg as well as Ferrari's .... impossible.

We have seen bigger gaps than this one being bridged over the course of a season. Granted, there's no testing which will make it harder for the others to catch up (at the same time it will make it harder for Brawn to develop their advantage). Other factors are playing into this too. Given the limited amount of testing, BMW are in a good position thanks to their computing resources. I dunno, to say it is impossible, kind of defeats the purpose of competing. Look at Renault last year. They turned an abysmal season around. There is more to come from this season.

#34 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 22:39

Hamilton, that McLaren is going to be very fast very soon. VERY fast.

#35 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 22:40

Glock.

Seriously.

#36 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 22:45

Originally posted by Blythy

journalistic bollocks.

I reckon it's just easier to get the same difference in performance by getting a part taken off of someone elses car instead of developing the same part to fit your own car.

I wouldnt call it bollocks just yet, its clear from the position of the rear crash structure that there won't be much space to fit the second level of the diffuser even if RBR wanted. They could try and move the crash structure, but that means moving the gearbox upwards. Which means you may need to ditch the pullrod suspension, leaving you with higher sidepods. The whole design philosophy of the RB5 is thus violated. RBR seem fine without the diffuser, they should put more effort into integrating the Renault KERS that they dont even need to help develop.

#37 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 00:40

Lewis Hamilton is the most realistic challenger to Button.

McLaren is currently working on the diffuser and would have it ready by the 5th race. By the 7th race of the season, it should be within striking distance of Brawn GP cars. McLaren already has the most advanced KERS, and the new diffuser would complement this push-to-power system quite nicely.

-KB

#38 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 00:45

If the diffuser is declared legal at the court case, then I full expect McLaren to be race one striaght at the next race, this should bring them up to Ferrari, BMW and Williams territory, macca will unfeil the One Diffuser to rule them all, One Diffuser to find them,
One Diffuser to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

#39 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 00:57

Originally posted by Kelateboy
Lewis Hamilton is the most realistic challenger to Button.

McLaren is currently working on the diffuser and would have it ready by the 5th race. By the 7th race of the season, it should be within striking distance of Brawn GP cars. McLaren already has the most advanced KERS, and the new diffuser would complement this push-to-power system quite nicely.

-KB

1 thing is not gonna fix the mclaren.

Advertisement

#40 Decode

Decode

• 87 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:00

If the regulations dont change I dont expect anyone to challenge, except maybe Vettel, if hes as good as the hype, because the red bull is seriously quick and will be even better with kers. None of the drivers in the other leading cars (toyota/williams) have a track record of strong consistent season long ability which is what is required to beat a faster car to the wc, and the drivers who have proven it are nowhere in terms of pace and I cant see them making up 1 second in performance any time soon.

#41 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,231 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:12

Bankruptcy.