Photo

Button's modesty - driving around an oversteer instability 'not my forte'...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 pjabyrne

pjabyrne

• 113 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:16

A comment by Button over the weekend really struck me:

...yesterday I was really struggling with the balance of the car. I had a lot of rear locking and instability and when I have that it is not my forte really. I find it difficult to drive round, so we changed the car overnight and it has improved it a lot and I feel very comfortable in the car...

I mean :eek: ???

A top F1 driver admitting to a weakness. I was really impressed by that. The total opposite of the 'that-was-the-best-race-of-my-life / I-was-really-on-it-today /I'm-great-aren't-I? BS you get from the other British driver.

Barrichello also made no excuses. I seen a quote somewhere where he admitted he'd been beaten 'fair and square'.

I just think such modesty is a really refreshing change...

Advertisement

#2 Racing Dutchman

Racing Dutchman

• 542 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:21

Originally posted by pjabyrne

A top F1 driver admitting to a weakness. I was really impressed by that. The total opposite of the 'that-was-the-best-race-of-my-life / I-was-really-on-it-today /I'm-great-aren't-I? BS you get from the other British driver.

Barrichello also made no excuses. I seen a quote somewhere where he admitted he'd been beaten 'fair and square'.

Refreshing modisty?
Check some of the press conferences of 2002 and 2004.

Every time after Michael Schumacher destroyed the competition 2 hand down he said: "It was tough, but the team did a superb job, so we managed a good result". I thought at the time that he had a bet with a Ferrari crew member regarding the amounts of times he could do this before he couldn't keep in control of his laughter and laughed his ass off right in the PC

#3 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,770 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:21

Button's an honest bloke. I used to feel he was over-rated but when you watch him drive, he really is quite something...and he's so happy this year that's hard to be mad at him.

#4 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:27

Originally posted by Scotracer
Button's an honest bloke. I used to feel he was over-rated but when you watch him drive, he really is quite something...and he's so happy this year that's hard to be mad at him.

Ugh - get a room and some kleenex! :rolleyes:

#5 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,509 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:28

I really enjoyed Button's chat with Brundle on the grid walk. Because it was a chat. The man on pole usually shoos Brundle away. Even further down the grid, the most you'll usually get is monosylabic answers. But there's the pole sitter having a convivial chat with the media minutes before the start of the race. Fantastic. Button and the Brawn team have been a breath of fresh air this season.

#6 Silver999

Silver999

• 48 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:33

I agree Button seems like an 'alright' bloke but he is an incredibly average driver. Can't defend his position to save his life and his overtaking abilities are virtually non existent, no wonder he's only won 3 races since 2000.

#7 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:38

...Err, he's only had a winning car for two races, and perhaps once or twice in 2004.
Btw, DC also held up his hand saying he didn't like oversteer and wasn't the best coping with that.

#8 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:42

Originally posted by Gareth
I really enjoyed Button's chat with Brundle on the grid walk. Because it was a chat. The man on pole usually shoos Brundle away. Even further down the grid, the most you'll usually get is monosylabic answers. But there's the pole sitter having a convivial chat with the media minutes before the start of the race. Fantastic. Button and the Brawn team have been a breath of fresh air this season.

Well, you have a native english speaker who have the best car and is winning in it. Not to take anything away from him, but it's a big difference giving interviews when you're comfortable.

#9 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,509 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 18:57

Originally posted by Henrik Brodin

Well, you have a native english speaker who have the best car and is winning in it. Not to take anything away from him, but it's a big difference giving interviews when you're comfortable.

I'm sure a huge amount of it comes from the lack of expectation and pressure allowing him to be comfortable, along with the sheer joy of just being on the grid, let alone running at the front. I don't mention how good it is to criticise others, just to say it's been good. It'd be great if all drivers could be so relaxed and therefore comfortable, regardless of the circumstances, but it is understandable they aren't and I'm sure there's every chance that, given more trying times, Button wouldn't be too.

#10 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:12

Originally posted by Silver999
I agree Button seems like an 'alright' bloke but he is an incredibly average driver. Can't defend his position to save his life and his overtaking abilities are virtually non existent, no wonder he's only won 3 races since 2000.

Haha. A guy who has no idea..

http://www.f1technic...vertaking stats

http://www.f1technic... stats&start=75

Two threads only.

Ciro once posted a list of how many overtakes each driver had done, from a certain time period tio 2007 I think.

Supprise supprise, Button was ahead of if I remember right, most of the current grid. Shumacher, and I think someone else only surpassed him. He was ahead of Alonso, Kimi, Montoya.

no wonder he's only won 3 races since 2000

You are not really that dumb are you. How many times during that period has he had a car to win.

2004? Only Germany and Brazil were Buttons chances to win on merit. We all know what happened in those races. Thanks Honda.

#11 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:24

Really..he should take lessons from Alonso and blame a conspiracy, and then take all credit for himself with "no help from anyone."

I like the comments from his father when some ITV dork said, "it's only half points for this win" and he responded, "yes, five points..awful."

#12 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:25

Aw bandwagons are so cute :rolleyes:

#13 Floyd

Floyd

• 110 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:44

Didn't do to bad on Alonso though did he not a sniff of a broken suspension. Not very often he got a chance to overtake in last few years.

#14 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 19:52

Agreed. Really nice to have things mixed up this year, first time I can remember this happening ever.

#15 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,215 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 20:33

That's just the underdog thing. By June, any single word he'll say will be seen as arrogant.

#16 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 20:49

Originally posted by paranoik0
That's just the underdog thing. By June, any single word he'll say will be seen as arrogant.

:rotfl: :rotfl: Its funny how this place has changed in one month.when season starts all logic goes out of the window here (not referring to your post) WE ARE ON A DIFFERENT PLANET!! :p

#17 Willy_Wonka

Willy_Wonka

• 282 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 21:07

:rotfl:
He is one of the best over takers out there, his weakness WAS defending, that was 2004, he is much improved since then and is no better or worse than any other driver now.
Everyone get overtaken, people like you are the ones that only remember one or two sterling efforts that stick in the mind, this then projects your opinion of said driver into hero proportions.
So please do come down to reality at some point ok ?

#18 Bob Nomates

Bob Nomates

• 3,921 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 21:28

He's a better driver than Hamilton thats for sure.
I made a really impressive impact in his first couple of yrs before the cars he drove went down hill. He's more than capable of winning the championship and with out falling out with everyone whilist doing it!

#19 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 21:48

Originally posted by paranoik0

Sigh. So true. :(

Advertisement

#20 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 23:35

The problem is Button had winning car for 4 or 5 races in his career, while Hamilton for 36.

#21 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 23:45

A top F1 driver admitting to a weakness.

Strangely enough Wurz said a similar thing after qualifying:

"A Brawn GP driver wouldn't be able to drive with a set-up like that at all. [like Hamilton's McLaren] "

Honest bunch at BGP nowadays.

#22 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 23:49

I remember Button stating that he would do what Schumacher had done at Jerez in '97 if necessary to win the championship.

#23 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 23:50

Originally posted by karlth
Honest bunch at BGP nowadays.

Ross Brawn honest! :rotfl:

#24 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:01

Button's one of the few drivers left on the grid that are worth talking to, Webber and Barrichello being the others. I'm not looking forward to the day that these guys aren't there and all we're left with is Kimi's monosyllabic rambling, Lewis' PR-a$s kissing, and Alonso's whining. I'd almost be happier to just not hear what they have to say sometimes.

#25 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,725 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:07

Originally posted by TheHumanPromise

Button's one of the few drivers left on the grid that are worth talking to, Webber and Barrichello being the others. I'm not looking forward to the day that these guys aren't there and all we're left with is Kimi's monosyllabic rambling, Lewis' PR-a$s kissing, and Alonso's whining. I'd almost be happier to just not hear what they have to say sometimes.

And you have spoken to all these guys?

#26 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:12

Except that I'd rather watch Lewis, Kimi and Fernando race than talk. Button, Webber and Barrichello on the other hand..............

#27 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:21

Originally posted by Clatter

And you have spoken to all these guys?

:confused:

I dont get your point. I'm going by what I've seen over the years of them in interviews. Thought that would have been pretty obvious.....

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:24

Originally posted by senna da silva
Except that I'd rather watch Lewis, Kimi and Fernando race than talk. Button, Webber and Barrichello on the other hand..............

I think they're *all* very good race car drivers worth watching in a race.

But thats not what I'm talking about.

#29 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,725 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:36

:confused:

I dont get your point. I'm going by what I've seen over the years of them in interviews. Thought that would have been pretty obvious.....

You said "worth talking to", that to me implies actually talking to them, not listening to interviews. You would probably get a far different reaction from them chatting on an informal basis rather than when they have a microphone shoved in their face and being asked more or less the same questions numerous times, coupled with the fact that for the majority of drivers English is not their first language.

#30 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 00:52

I think they're *all* very good race car drivers worth watching in a race.

But thats not what I'm talking about.

This is F1 RACING, not a chat show. I couldn't care less if they were all as vapid as Fisi!

#31 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,802 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:32

I suspect that every driver has a forte. Alonso likes an understeering car, for example. Michael likes a long gas pedal to help balance the car around corners. Lewis likes a twitchy back-end.

#32 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:37

''Im not good on the gravel'' - Mika driving old Mercedes 190 (Top Gear)

#33 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,509 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:41

Originally posted by senna da silva

This is F1 RACING, not a chat show. I couldn't care less if they were all as vapid as Fisi!

But there is this thing called 'the build up' and this other thing called 'the after race show' that are a lot like chat shows at times. I like it when the chat is interesting.

Ultimately, I watch F1 for the racing and that will always be more important to me than the chat, so I do agree with your point to an extent. But it doesn't mean I can't enjoy some interesting conversation with the drivers and be pleased we're actually getting it at the minute.

#34 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:51

Check the comments on the Planet F1 article about Button saying they don't need Schumachers help.

A sign of things to come maybe?

The mob is fickle.

#35 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:08

[...] The total opposite of the 'that-was-the-best-race-of-my-life / I-was-really-on-it-today /I'm-great-aren't-I? BS you get from the other British driver. [...]

"You would say we are going to be competitive, but it is a question of who else is going to be up there with us."

"Both Rubens [and I] are good in the wet"

"I know I am good and now I have a competitive car hopefully we can have a competitive season"

http://www.planetf1....53472_1,00.html

Don't for a minute think it wont be long until Button is the new witch to be hunted. The press will build it up as a fairytale, JUST like they did with Hamilton 2007, and then they will bring him down to size. All while selling papers, and getting the mouth breathing fickle mob viewing the adverts on their websites.

#36 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:12

Originally posted by RoutariEnjinu

"You would say we are going to be competitive, but it is a question of who else is going to be up there with us."

Sounds confident.

"Both Rubens [and I] are good in the wet"

Wow that's a bit sure of himself.

"I know I am good and now I have a competitive car hopefully we can have a competitive season"

Listen to the sheer ARROGANCE of the man!

#37 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:19

http://www.planetf1....53472_1,00.html

Interesting link. I clicked on it and there was this rolling headline bar and the first three sentences started: Hamilton's career on knifes edge, Schumacher to blame for Kimi's..., Flav blames diffuser...

Somehow it made me lose interest at what that website has to say about anything pretty fast.

#38 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:20

Thats why in bad cars Button looks distinctly average. He cant drive around the failings in a car like Hamilton & Alonso. Refreshing yes, but an admission he is not a top-class all round driver who can adapt well.

#39 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:24

Originally posted by bankoq

The problem is Button had winning car for 4 or 5 races in his career, while Hamilton for 36.

Slighly unfair, Hamilton had a competitive car for 36 races and probably half he was able to win. I think it was clear that ferrari had the faster car for the last two years. McLaren were more consistent but ferrari were definately quicker.

Advertisement

#40 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:08

Originally posted by Force Ten

Interesting link. I clicked on it and there was this rolling headline bar and the first three sentences started: Hamilton's career on knifes edge, Schumacher to blame for Kimi's..., Flav blames diffuser...

Somehow it made me lose interest at what that website has to say about anything pretty fast.

Yep, it's sensationalist pantomime tabloid bollocks... but just wait till the sentiments seep in to this forum regarding Button.

Every driver gives you ammo you can use to "prove" they are "arrogant", "prima donna" etc etc.
If you've got someone leading the interview wanting to reinforce a pantomime personality they've created that generates hits/sells paper, they'll be able to extract more nuggets.

Even if the press aren't able to extract any corkers, they'll throw in one picture out of the 20 they took that best fits the stereotype to go along with the article, and people that have already made up their minds will invent and assert reasons as to why the stereotype is to be reinforced.

If Button keeps winning, and the mob gets bored, and there's no more "fairy tale" story to sell, the press will turn, and he'll get it just as bad as Hamilton. He's British, and worst of all English. He hasn't got a chance! :p

It's easy for the paddock to like Button when he's driving a dog at the back.

#41 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 15:44

Originally posted by chhatra

Slighly unfair, Hamilton had a competitive car for 36 races and probably half he was able to win. I think it was clear that ferrari had the faster car for the last two years. McLaren were more consistent but ferrari were definately quicker.

True, but 4 or 5 races isn't 18. And guy says no wonder Button isn't rated higly as he hasn't won many races in his career forgetting that the car is main factor in winning. How stupid is that?

#42 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:06

Originally posted by Force Ten

that site is full of cr@p
the site editors are pro british and there is no sensible news in that site

no need to ask about the forum....its full of BS with lots of fanboys and full of Bandwagon kids! :lol:

#43 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:07

Originally posted by chhatra

Mclaren definetly had the fastest car in 2007!...it always seemed they are fastest straight out of the box.
In 2008 it was really equal!

#44 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:17

Originally posted by sreevishnu

Mclaren definetly had the fastest car in 2007!...it always seemed they are fastest straight out of the box.
In 2008 it was really equal!

No in 2008 Ferrari was the fastest car for sure, the only thing that hampered it was heating its tyres up for qualifying. Kimi got 10 fastest laps, Massa got 3, Hamilton got 1. 2007 McLaren had been developed by McLaren and Ferrari.

#45 raiseyourfistfor

raiseyourfistfor

• 2,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 20:44

Originally posted by Madras

2007 McLaren had been developed by McLaren and Ferrari.

Not really, and ontop of that in 2007 mclaren was close to .5s of the pace in race trim. Their car was only good in low df tracks.

#46 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 20:47

Lewis had a competitive car. Button has a dominant car. See the difference? :lol:

#47 giltkid

giltkid

• 234 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:35

Originally posted by The Ragged Edge

Thats why in bad cars Button looks distinctly average. He cant drive around the failings in a car like Hamilton & Alonso. Refreshing yes, but an admission he is not a top-class all round driver who can adapt well.

Hamilton has had a bad car for only 2 races of his F1 career. If he's still got a bad car in 10 races and he's still got fight in him I'll be impressed, otherwise to me he's just an ok driver who lucked into by far the best car and threw away one championship and nearly threw the other one away.