Photo

Off-road motorcycle racing 1965-1990

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 17:20

I mentioned this on the tarmac-based thread and was encouraged to start a new thread devoted to the various off-road sports for two (and occasionally three) wheeled machinery. I'd be delighted to see speedway, grasstrack and enduro in here, but my interest was mainly confined to trials and motocross (or scrambling as it was known when I began watching on World of Sport in about 1970 :) ).

I'm afraid I completely lost touch with the sport in the late 80s, but I have very fond memories of the stars and the machines that were around when I followed it - hopefully there are some more TNFers with similar memories, photos and stories to share here.

I'll start things off with a couple of WWWs, hopefully fairly straightforward on the 'who'.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 17:44

I used to really enjoy those cold wet Saturday afternoons watching scrambling on BBC Grandstand with dear old Murray commentating. Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith, Arthur Lampkin, Vic Eastwood. Greeves, BSA, Matchless, Rickman, Husqvarna, CZ. What wonderful memories. Why, why, why did the TV companies lose interest in the sport (whatever thay call it)?

#3 sidecarracing

sidecarracing

• 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 18:03

Graham Noyce and Martin Lampkin?

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 18:47

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
I used to really enjoy those cold wet Saturday afternoons watching scrambling on BBC Grandstand with dear old Murray commentating. Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith, Arthur Lampkin, Vic Eastwood. Greeves, BSA, Matchless, Rickman, Husqvarna, CZ. What wonderful memories. Why, why, why did the TV companies lose interest in the sport (whatever thay call it)?

Well Paul ,IIRC the foot and mouth out-break in the late '60's had a lot to do with it

#5 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:43

Originally posted by sidecarracing

Spot on with both. :up: Anyone want to hazard a guess at year, event/location?

I think part of the problem with the television was that they wanted the sport to fill those awkward gaps in the winter schedule, when events were bound to suffer from bad weather and turn into impossible mudbaths. Apart from making it hard to follow for the viewer and commentator, I suspect it wasn't much fun for the riders, and there was an increased risk of injury, not ideal just before the season begins.

#6 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:48

Great subject Rob, living where I do, it is not only near Brands but Canada Heights also, any photos from there at all? I too, used to be glued to the box on those damp, cold, grey Saturday afternoons, sat around the coal fire, brilliant stuff, only my homework spoiled my week-ends :lol:

#7 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 20:22

Never made it to Canada Heights, Sterling - but I remember the name well from reading T&MX News every Friday.

Most of my photos are from quite a restricted geographic area as they were taken before I learnt to drive, so I was reliant on a family member driving me there. Once I got my freedom I gravitated towards 4 wheel motorsport and pretty soon the bikes became a secondary interest. :

#8 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 21:59

Originally posted by sidecarracing

Spot on with both. Anyone want to hazard a guess at year, event/location?

Well done, Rob, you couldn't have started this thread with two greater characters of the UK off-road scene.

I'm guessing with Noycey, British Championship event 1980?

And with Martin, it looks like it was taken after he retired from serious trials, mid-1980s? It looks like he's wearing Yrjo Vesterinen's Apico clothing - and that wouldn't have happened when the pair were competitors on the world stage.

#9 Rob A

Rob A

• 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:31

Originally posted by Rob Lees

I'll start things off with a couple of WWWs, hopefully fairly straightforward on the 'who'.

Posted Image

Graham Noyce at Bootle, Cumbria, British Championship, Easter 1979, I'd say.

#10 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:10

Originally posted by Rob A

A British Championship track with grass on, those were the days....

When you think how many riders used to do those races, and you look at the entries now, it makes you realise that the strength in depth back then was pretty strong.

#11 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:50

Absolutely correct Rob - were you there, or did the Sellafield cooling towers in the background give away the location?

I've not seen any British Championship events for years now - is the strength in depth really not there any more?

#12 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 17:25

Chris Horsfield.

#13 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 17:27

Originally posted by picblanc

Chris Horsfield.

Who is he Graham?

#14 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 19:25

Originally posted by sterling49

Who is he Graham?

One of the names from the B/W BBC winter scrambling days, know nothing about him Sterling, other than I thought it an odd name back then, and this thread reminded me. :wave:

#15 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 19:44

Originally posted by picblanc

One of the names from the B/W BBC winter scrambling days, know nothing about him Sterling, other than I thought it an odd name back then, and this thread reminded me. :wave:

I raced with his lad back in the day, Grant Horsfield, very quick rider, but not heard of him for years.

Scrambling in the 60's drew massive crowds, but as there is more and more to do at the weekends these days, races that would draw 1,000's would now be happy to have a car park as full as the local garden centre....

Riders at centre level could make money back then, and the journeyman racer could make big money in europe, now the riders are lucky to get paid, prize money is a joke, and the outlay is massive for the returns.

The classic tracks are going fast, only Hawkstone Park has any kind of history and is in regular use, along with Canada Heights, and Cadders Hill, tracks are manicured beyond belief, and gone are the days where you rode at a track two years on the bounce and crashed on the same bump.

Its still a spectacle, but not how it was, in the same way that progress has killed WRC and F1 as far as the fan is concerned , MX is going the same way.

That said, its still my passion, and i'll be going to the MX3 GP on sunday at Hawkstone if all goes well.

#16 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 21:09

quote:

Ah, Rob A, welcome aboard. And just what were you riding that day? Or perhaps you'd like to tease us a little longer.

#17 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 16:00

Couple more WWWs for you, both from the same event

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm scanning some more motocross pics this afternoon and will pop a few up later.

#18 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 18:38

Couple more WWWs for you, both from the same event

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm scanning some more motocross pics this afternoon and will pop a few up later.

I am out of my depth with this thread, and these photos, great as they are :up: but as soon as I saw the lower one the name Eddy Lejeune came into my head? :wave:

#19 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 18:52

Blimey Graham, just as I was about to post that too! :rolleyes: :lol:

Fantastic photos :up:

Advertisement

#20 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 18:56

Blimey Graham, just as I was about to post that too! :rolleyes: :lol:

Fantastic photos :up:

Yes Stirling I agree also, got to be the Scottish 6 Days Trial

#21 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 19:03

Ah yes fil, but what year matey ? ;)

#22 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 19:13

Ah yes fil, but what year matey ? ;)

Well, i'll have a punt at '78-'80 (ish) :eek: and your guess Stirling ??? :rolleyes:

#23 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 19:44

I really have no idea, the outdoor gear does not give a lot away, except the chappie in the Deerstalker which are still worn. Gee, I do not even know if the 6 Day Trial is still run :blush: You are probably right if reading the thread is correct, as Rob gave an indication of his interest "time span" before moving onto 4 wheeled sport. The era that I remember would be Lampkin (Arthur) Dave Bickers, Vic Eastwood and co, though I would never be able to identify them or any of their bikes!

#24 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:19

Hmm, perhaps I've been a bit too tricky with these two - the second rider is not Lejeune, he is a (much) less well-known Yorkshireman. The first rider is a contemporary of Big Mart Lampkin. It's not the Scottish Six Day either, but it is an equally famous and historic trial which still runs to this day.......

Here's a few MX shots that carry a bit of atmosphere.

Two from Barfield, Bootle in Cumbria - this track has been unused since 1985 when torrential rain caused the abandonment of a British Championship round.

Start of a British Championship race in 1975

Posted Image

Unknown rider on an EMC in 1978 - this was about the time that artificial jumps started to appear on British tracks.

Posted Image

Sidecar-cross at Eastgate in Weardale, 1985

Posted Image

#25 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:24

And three pics from Whittas Park, near Bassenthwaite in the Lake District - a track which is still going, and hosts a round of the National Twin Shock series in May this year. :up:

Mike Barnes (500 CCM) in 1976

Posted Image

David Wilson (KTM) gives up the struggle in 1979.

Posted Image

Northern Centre stalwart Steve Shuttleworth c.1980/81

Posted Image

#26 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 20:44

Hmm, perhaps I've been a bit too tricky with these two - the second rider is not Lejeune, he is a (much) less well-known Yorkshireman. The first rider is a contemporary of Big Mart Lampkin. It's not the Scottish Six Day either, but it is an equally famous and historic trial which still runs to this day.......

Top rider looks like Malc Rathmell and the lower, a guess, Nigel Birkett? And, sorry, but name of event eludes me.

#27 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:27

Great pics, especially the last three! :up:

I am almost totally useless when it comes to identifying any riders or events, as I only ever have had limited interest in MX/scrambling, and that started right about the time your's apparently ended, so there's no overlap, but I enjoy the piccies nonetheless! :up: :up:

#28 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:00

Originally posted by peterd

Top rider looks like Malc Rathmell and the lower, a guess, Nigel Birkett? And, sorry, but name of event eludes me.

Would it be the Scott? The terrain looks about right, though my memory of spectating [as a child] on the Scott is that you couldn't see the hills for rain. Can't help with the riders. My dad had retired from riding by then and I didn't get dragged round England with a thermos and a pack of sandwiches.

I'm off to ransack the family archives over Easter and once I've done the necessary scanning we should have pics of all sorts of guys in flat caps and barbours from the end of the British four stroke era.

#29 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:14

We'll look foreward to it Chris :up:

#30 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:45

Originally posted by peterd

Good spot Peter - it is indeed Malc. The other rider though is Gerald Richardson, a very decent rider in the mid 80s. Chris T has nailed the event, it's the Scott Trial. :up:

Here are three from Fell Green, Bootle.

The Yamaha rider on the deck is Pete Mathia - not sure who the other is - meanwhile Bob Wright on the Maico and Jonathan Wright on the Kawasaki have hit the front. This is a British 250cc Championship round (though I think it's the allcomers race at the end of the day).

Posted Image

Can't remember who the riders are here, just Northern Centre clubmen but I like both pics for the colour and atmosphere. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 21:24

Here are three from Fell Green, Bootle.

The Yamaha rider on the deck is Pete Mathia - not sure who the other is - meanwhile Bob Wright on the Maico and Jonathan Wright on the Kawasaki have hit the front. This is a British 250cc Championship round (though I think it's the allcomers race at the end of the day).

Posted Image

Its 1980, and i think #1 might be Geoff Mayes.

#32 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:58

The BBC used to have a series called '100 GREATEST SPORTING MOMENTS' or something like that which featured the best of various sports. I seem to recall a superb scramble with Jeff Smith and Dave Bickers regularly overtaking and re passing each other many times a lap, with dear old Murray comentating. Black and white, and muddy. I have it on tape somewhere. It may be on Utube.

In the same series was the F3(?) race at Crystal Palace(?) when James Hunt crashed with another driver on the last lap, got out and thumped him. Also there was a terrific saloon car race with Gerry Marshall driving the tyres of Baby Bertha. (I may have got some of these details wrong).

#33 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:23

Found it!! Feast your eyes on this gem!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#34 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:15

Found it!! Feast your eyes on this gem!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Well done Paul!! great memories, it felt like I was a kid again watching that :| :wave:

#35 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 17:42

Well guys :wave: don't know any of these --lost the prog many moons ago : Piccies taken at the Daytona half mile 1980--I have a few more if you want to see them..................... :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#36 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:32

Like that one fil, remember seeing similar photos in MCN of Harleys etc sideways on the dirt - always seemed strange to me (as a 12 year old) that they were racing road bikes (to my mind) off road, what was wrong with speedway bikes or motocrossers?;)

Would be good to see some more, and any paddock shots? I'm a sucker for an old paddock shots. :)

Anyway - here's three trials pics, taken on the 1987 British round of the World Championship in Merthyr Tydfil. Anyone like to identify the riders?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:05

How about
Steve Saunders
John Lampkin
Eddy Lejuene?

#38 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:16

Well done - two out of three, Peter. :clap:

Not John Lampkin though.....

#39 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 17:55

Here you go gang , a few more I took at the Daytona half mile , 1980 Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 17:58

Sorry about the post in the way :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#41 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 18:02

Last but 1 for now :yawn: :yawn: before I bore you :eek:

Posted Image

#42 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 18:06

It's a bit blurred , not hard to see why !! :o :wave: :wave:

Posted Image

#43 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 20:05

No more guesses at my remaining trials rider? It was Jordi Tarres.

Here's three more motocrossers, all from various years at Barfield, Bootle in Cumbria.

Noycey on the KTM

Posted Image

Dave Watson

Posted Image

Terry Good/Barry Williams and Nick Thompson/Chris Herbert

Posted Image

#44 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 20:18

No more guesses at my remaining trials rider? It was Jordi Tarres.

Here's three more motocrossers, all from various years at Barfield, Bootle in Cumbria.

Noycey on the KTM

Posted Image

Dave Watson

Posted Image

Terry Good/Barry Williams and Nick Thompson/Chris Herbert

Posted Image

Great pics Rob, I wish I could join in more, but so hard to recognise these guys. :well:

#45 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:01

The Daytona flat track pics are beyond me. Yellow plates suggest support class. From memory, main class runs black on white. However, saying that, there may be a future road race star among these. One day, perhaps, we will find out.

Too quick, Rob. Recognised Dave Watson straight off. Had a bit to do with him in the 80s. In fact spent several days with him and his mechanic at KTM factory and then down to Italy where they began setting up his bike for the upcoming WC season. Thoroughly nice guy who has developed a good business since quitting serious racing.

#46 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 22:22

[quote name='peterd' date='Apr 30 2009, 22:01' post='3618996']
The Daytona flat track pics are beyond me. Yellow plates suggest support class. From memory, main class runs black on white. However, saying that, there may be a future road race star among these. One day, perhaps, we will find out.

For the life of me cannot rembember to much about it now , apart from Daytona '82 and a good early evening night out :cat: :cat: but I still have the 'Coors' sponsered 'T' shirt

#47 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:53

Too quick, Rob. Recognised Dave Watson straight off. Had a bit to do with him in the 80s. In fact spent several days with him and his mechanic at KTM factory and then down to Italy where they began setting up his bike for the upcoming WC season. Thoroughly nice guy who has developed a good business since quitting serious racing.

Sorry Peter! I'll slow down a bit in future, it's just that the thread had dropped to about to page 6 so I thought it'd had all the interest it was going to get until something fresh was posted! :blush:

Dave Watson was always recognisable by the 'W' on the helmet design, not so many riders had anything like a customised lid in those days. I'll try and dig some more out over the weekend.

#48 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 14:59

Thought it was about time I added a few more pics to this thread - I'll start with a few trials shots, can anyone identify the riders?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 Rob Lees

Rob Lees

• 103 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 15:01

... and a few motocrossers, first two should be easy enough and the latter two nigh on impossible unless you were there. :well:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 15:42

andre malherbe
noyce
no idea
Tony Caig