Jump to content


Photo

Normand Legault director/promoter of the Canadian GP interview about the state of F1


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 J

J
  • Member

  • 675 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:02

Very intresting interview. Sorry if a repost.

http://www.ten-tenth...ad.php?t=114773

-J

Advertisement

#2 Milt

Milt
  • Member

  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined: June 03

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:23

An excellent interview, with an obviously intelligent man, who's been directly involved in F1 motorsports for over 30 years.
Definitely worth a read.

Thank you!

#3 J

J
  • Member

  • 675 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 07 April 2009 - 19:56

I probably should´ve write in the topic that it´s about the state of F1 in general. Mods, can you edit, please?

-Jani

#4 metz

metz
  • Member

  • 9,722 posts
  • Joined: July 01

Posted 07 April 2009 - 20:35

I'm surprised that he has been helping the GPMA, seeing that he is, or was, Bernie's good bum buddy.
He is correct on the finances. The CVC debt is at the root of the problem.

#5 pac

pac
  • Member

  • 285 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 07 April 2009 - 21:08

Really interesting read. Thanks Jani!

#6 rce

rce
  • Member

  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 07 April 2009 - 21:43

Excellent read - thanks for posting it. :up:

#7 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy
  • Member

  • 2,452 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 07 April 2009 - 22:06

great! Finally some real insight into the business of F1 :up:

#8 senna da silva

senna da silva
  • Member

  • 4,431 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 07 April 2009 - 22:19

Thank J great read.

#9 bond

bond
  • Member

  • 2,554 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 07 April 2009 - 22:32

Q: Except that right now it seems that having fans in the stands is not a priority in F1.

A: F1 has gone to Asia and the Gulf, it’s a little like the National Hockey League trying to put a team in Nashville. I read somewhere that the Bahrain Grand Prix generated revenue of $354 million. The Super Bowl generates $250 million and Bahrain, where the stands are empty, makes more than that? In Montreal, there were more people on Friday than some GP have on Sunday. And the spectators were not soldiers dressed in civilian clothes like in several countries that I won’t mention!


I wonder where...

#10 Kelateboy

Kelateboy
  • Member

  • 5,792 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:48

Originally posted by bond
Q: Except that right now it seems that having fans in the stands is not a priority in F1.

A: F1 has gone to Asia and the Gulf, it’s a little like the National Hockey League trying to put a team in Nashville. I read somewhere that the Bahrain Grand Prix generated revenue of $354 million. The Super Bowl generates $250 million and Bahrain, where the stands are empty, makes more than that? In Montreal, there were more people on Friday than some GP have on Sunday. And the spectators were not soldiers dressed in civilian clothes like in several countries that I won’t mention!


I wonder where...

Soldiers dressed in civilian clothing? That is got to be Shanghai.

In Malaysia, the organizers gave away free tickets even those in grandstands to fill up the seats. Yet there are those who preferred to watch F1 at the comfort of their houses. I wish I did too, last Sunday!

-KB

#11 paulm

paulm
  • Member

  • 177 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:33

I'm glad someone changed the topic as I'd been passing this thread over.
Very interesting reading, almost seems like some sort of collapse is inevitable.

#12 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead
  • Member

  • 4,502 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:55

great interview, thanx for that :up:

#13 PassWind

PassWind
  • Member

  • 4,842 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:45

Originally posted by Kelateboy

Soldiers dressed in civilian clothing? That is got to be Shanghai.

In Malaysia, the organizers gave away free tickets even those in grandstands to fill up the seats. Yet there are those who preferred to watch F1 at the comfort of their houses. I wish I did too, last Sunday!

-KB


In the US the Military get a lot of free tickets, Australia as well, nothing new just a little show of appreciation.

#14 Orin

Orin
  • Member

  • 8,444 posts
  • Joined: October 04

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:04

* bump *

I missed this thread first time round (thanks J for linking to it in the other Legault thread), it's well worth reading the article. Normand Legault seems like the kind of person who should be running motorsport, not the money grubbers and wannabe dictators we have at present. I'd love to see the teams break away from FIA/FOM, this article suggests it's inevitable. I'm not sure about that, there are still some tricky hurdles to overcome. However, it's nice to know that FOTA is actively looking into this possibility. :up:

#15 Owen

Owen
  • Member

  • 10,500 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:12

Wow. Should that really have been divulged? Not sure, but it was interesting to read. :eek:

#16 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,876 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:17

Originally posted by PassWind


In the US the Military get a lot of free tickets, Australia as well, nothing new just a little show of appreciation.


Showing appreciation is different than counting on them to fill stands or at least make them look half full/empty, which I beleive was the point of the comment.