Photo

Eugene Hall

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:59

Can anybody provide any details about the American Eugene Hall who raced in the UK in the Fifties? He went pretty well at the wheel of a 500 and in 1100cc sports cars. I cannot recall ever seeing a photo of his face.

Advertisement

#2 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:54

Well I didn't realise he was American, for a start.

Eugene appears to have started racing 500s in 1954, probably with a Cooper Mk VI. First sighting 12th June, Oulton Park (Mid-Cheshire MRC)
3rd October, he appears at Brands Hatch. This time he co-drives the Kieft of Dr Stanley Marks (also in his debut season), under the Ecurie Hallmark banner, picking up a second place in the JAP Race. They again share the car at Cadwell Park a week later. He is back in his Cooper at the Boxing Day Meeting.
That's quite an odd selection of races for a debut - most amateurs tended to stick to their end of the country.

Eugene gets serious in 1955 (18 races) and 1956 (19 races) - in both years I have one reference to a Mk VI hence my presumption that he ran that car through his 500 career. The Blue Book has one of the 1955 entries as the Sussex Racing Team (with Ian Raby), but this might be an error as it isn't repeated.

Just three sightings in 1957, the last being Brands Hatch, 20th May. Perhaps significant is that Stanley Marks was killed at Brands on the 22nd April (Hall was at Goodwood that day, picking up a very handy second to Stuart Lewis-Evans). Marks had skipped the 1956 season, but although the Ecurie Hallmark moniker had not been used the two did many races together in 1955 - so one might presume there was more than a business arrangement between the two of them.

Beyond those basic facts, I haven't come up trumps with biographical details or a confirmed image.

#3 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 18:05

In all the race results/entries stats that I have seen Hall is listed as being British.

I would be grateful if others better informed could confirm this driver's true nationality.

#4 Eugenes Daughter

Eugenes Daughter

• 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:45

Well boys and girls, this might excite you!

I am Eugene's daughter, and can confirm hs is alive and well and living in Brighton, England. I only happened to come across this site as I was looking for info about my father's racing days on the internet myself, and googling "Eugene Hall" took me to this post.

He was indeed as someone pointed out born in the USA (in Brooklyn, NY), but held dual nationality with the UK. He often raced as an American National simply to give a race an International Status. He is well into his 80's now, but remembers lots about his racing days, and still talks about those days with great enthusiasm.

We do have a few photos, and some press cuttings, including a picture of none other than Fangio driving the Halson that dad built. Being new to this site, if anyone can explain if and how images can be uploaded, I'll see what I can do.

#5 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:50

Sonofagun, this site just continues to amaze me! Imagine, inquiring about a driver from the fifties who (no offense intended) was not on the tip of most peoples' tongues, and having the daughter of said driver respond! Just fantastic!
Tom

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 21:43

Welcome Ms Hall (nee?). It would be very interesting to hear your father's recollections, not least about the unfortunate Dr Stanley 'Karl' Marks...

DCN

#7 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 23:30

Well thats a nice surprise! I was beginning to think Eugene might be another O'Brien. Look forward to a name becoming a person.

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:55

Great to hear that Eugene Hall is alive and well. I remember him from the great 500cc Formula 3 days, especially at Brands Hatch and Crystal Palace. His nationality was always given as being American, and I recall his Cooper being finished in the American racing colours of blue and white. I got both Eugene Hall's and Doctor S Marks autographs at the same Brands Hatch meeting.

#9 Eugenes Daughter

Eugenes Daughter

• 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 15:18

Hello all

Is it with sad news I find myself back here after nearly 6 years, just to let you know Eugene passed away last Thursday, 19th March after a short illness.

Among his (few) racing pictures we have I found this one from Brands, October 1954

Eugene_02.jpg

Edited by Eugenes Daughter, 26 March 2015 - 15:43.

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 16:40

Very sorry to hear your sad news.  That's a lovely picture.

#11 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 19:32

Very sad news, please accept my condolences! And thanks for posting.

#12 Eugenes Daughter

Eugenes Daughter

• 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 23:13

Some further information and pics on dad, Eugene, here -> http://www.500race.o.../Men/Hall E.htm

#13 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 13:41

HALSON JUNIOR FORMULA CAR

as raced at Monaco, Terramo, Cessari, etc., this

year. Space Frame Chassis, coil spring, wishbone

front suspension, live trailing rear axle, knock-on

wheels, rack and pinion steering, aluminium body,

etc. Available with highly tuned engine and close

ratio gearbox at £950 or with Standard Sprite

engine and box at £750.

HALSON TRADING CO.,

Robinson Road, Newhaven, Sussex.

Phone 237.

Autosport, 7 August 1959, Page 189

https://library.revs...^Halson^all^and!date%5E1959%5Eexact%5Eand/1

Was this car built in Sussex?

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 02 April 2024 - 14:13.