* * * - - 13 votes

Where is Jacques Villeneuve?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
965 replies to this topic

#851 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:01

There are only 28 cars due to over-management. Basically fans pay stupidly expensive $100+ tickets not just for big street races - even for humble races at road courses. This goes to give each car (or license) around $800,000 per season (anywhere from half to 1/6th of the budget to run 1 car, depending on the team/driver quality), it is not based on prize money as some of the lower end entrants badly rely on it. But do the top teams really need it? So you have fans paying through the nose, to prop up multi-million dollars business (that's dumb--why do Joe & Jill Smith & daughters need to pay so much for their family ticket, just to prop up Triple Eight who are rolling in money?) and moreover you have the field artificially restricted to a lousy 28 cars so each team gets more of the pie (that's worse) -- this is meant to be touring car racing, there should be 40 cars on the grid when possible like NASCAR IMO.

The cars are over-engineered: too many data engineers, too many sensors, shift cut, sequential, water brakes, dry ice, fiberglass panels, CNC machined just about everything, carbon fibre this and that... running the cars is just more and more complicated. They are losing the essence of it, the reason why they are restricted to a lowly 7500rpm and a low compression ratio - they are meant to be cheap, simple race cars like this:
Posted Image
Yet they only go 5-7 seconds per lap faster than an old Mustang or AMC Javelin, with no aero as such, driven by semi-retired racers -- that's embarrassing and rather naff.

Not to mention that only four cars have any chance to win, as everything is just so highly developed and refined, that others have little chance.

The drivers are generally well overpaid and sometimes there is little relationship to on-track results. James Courtney is the highest paid driver on a reported $1.3m per season, but you will rarely see him even make the top 10. If only that team (Holden Racing Team) would spend that on engineers instead then they might actually get half a result! But it is a free country and they can do as they please. Meanwhile to get a drive, a young gun on the other hand generally requires a large budget and/or the right connections. (The days of a Wayne Wakefield buying an old car and entering it in the Bathurst 1000 himself are long gone.)

IMO there is little comparison to golden days (say 1999-2004) when you had 40 cars on the grid at the Clipsal 500, with 55 cars on the grid at the Bathurst 1000, privateers were valued for their input and enthusiasm and could have a red hot go at the top races with many young drivers spannering their own cars, the cars were more simple (and much cheaper) and vaguely resembled their road going counterparts (a production-based rather than a fully fabricated chassis, good ol' h-pattern and so on) and all this contributed to more variety in the racing IMO.

haha what a whinge...

Advertisement

#852 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,507 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:54

There are only 28 cars due to over-management. Basically fans pay stupidly expensive $100+ tickets not just for big street races - even for humble races at road courses. This goes to give each car (or license) around $800,000 per season (anywhere from half to 1/6th of the budget to run 1 car, depending on the team/driver quality), it is not based on prize money as some of the lower end entrants badly rely on it. But do the top teams really need it? So you have fans paying through the nose, to prop up multi-million dollars business (that's dumb--why do Joe & Jill Smith & daughters need to pay so much for their family ticket, just to prop up Triple Eight who are rolling in money?) and moreover you have the field artificially restricted to a lousy 28 cars so each team gets more of the pie (that's worse) -- this is meant to be touring car racing, there should be 40 cars on the grid when possible like NASCAR IMO.

The cars are over-engineered: too many data engineers, too many sensors, shift cut, sequential, water brakes, dry ice, fiberglass panels, CNC machined just about everything, carbon fibre this and that... running the cars is just more and more complicated. They are losing the essence of it, the reason why they are restricted to a lowly 7500rpm and a low compression ratio - they are meant to be cheap, simple race cars like this:
Posted Image
Yet they only go 5-7 seconds per lap faster than an old Mustang or AMC Javelin, with no aero as such, driven by semi-retired racers -- that's embarrassing and rather naff.

Not to mention that only four cars have any chance to win, as everything is just so highly developed and refined, that others have little chance.

The drivers are generally well overpaid and sometimes there is little relationship to on-track results. James Courtney is the highest paid driver on a reported $1.3m per season, but you will rarely see him even make the top 10. If only that team (Holden Racing Team) would spend that on engineers instead then they might actually get half a result! But it is a free country and they can do as they please. Meanwhile to get a drive, a young gun on the other hand generally requires a large budget and/or the right connections. (The days of a Wayne Wakefield buying an old car and entering it in the Bathurst 1000 himself are long gone.)

IMO there is little comparison to golden days (say 1999-2004) when you had 40 cars on the grid at the Clipsal 500, with 55 cars on the grid at the Bathurst 1000, privateers were valued for their input and enthusiasm and could have a red hot go at the top races with many young drivers spannering their own cars, the cars were more simple (and much cheaper) and vaguely resembled their road going counterparts (a production-based rather than a fully fabricated chassis, good ol' h-pattern and so on) and all this contributed to more variety in the racing IMO.

Well that's one opinion ....

Herre's another:

No it's not. It's great.

Cheers.

#853 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,374 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:06

haha what a whinge...

OK it's not that bad. Just pointing out the bad points for you. It's certainly more resource intensive and more of a closed shop community than before. 10 years only privateers would buy parts from the likes of Perkins, now even teams like HRT buy parts from arch rivals like 888 as it's just more cost effective as the engineering of the car is increasingly resource-intensive. :cool: For instance VESA turn up at a racetrack and the first thing they do is set-up a LAN! (is this strictly necessary, what's wrong with the old meatball flags and car numbers?) :lol:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 19 September 2012 - 07:09.

#854 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:07

I heard Vill-enough was dropped as a writer for F1 Racing... was he any good? can anyone post some samples?

#855 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 870 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:23

It would be great if JV could get a full-time V8 Supercar ride next year, preferably with one of the Ford teams.

#856 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,374 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:01

It would be great if JV could get a full-time V8 Supercar ride next year, preferably with one of the Ford teams.

Why doesn't he race in the Canadian Tire series? I reckon he could easily get the backing to start his own team and support bring in some rookie drivers as his team-mates, which would be great for the sport of stock car racing.

#857 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:16

Why doesn't he race in the Canadian Tire series? I reckon he could easily get the backing to start his own team and support bring in some rookie drivers as his team-mates, which would be great for the sport of stock car racing.

Because it's an inferior series. The cars are farm-tractor-ish*, except for a few exceptions the tracks are rubbish and also if JV had any intention of starting his own team anywhere it would have been done ages ago.

He's struggling to get backing for drives and now he would have the backing to start his own team and even provide seats for other people? hhmm... no.

*I think sometimes people are reading a spec-sheet and find some cars to be comparable, this is really not the case. You have to see the cars up close to appreciate the level of preparation and professionalism that goes into, say, a Nationwide or a aussie V8 car compared to a Canadian Tire series car... it's just world's apart. You walk next to a Nationwide car or even a Truck, and it oozes quality despite the old technology.. The canadian cars look like patched up jobs loosely put together by a drunk guy in the back of a shed.

#858 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,928 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:23

Still produces some stunning racing, though.

#859 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:29

Yeah, but that's easy.

Advertisement

#860 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,597 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:31

Back at Andros now by the looks of it.

#861 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,374 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:53

Yeah, but that's easy.

Well at least Jacques hasn't turned up racing these :) (check out the plumes of smoke!)

#862 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:51

Where is Jv??

Probably planning his next attack on how bad Kimi is & if he was Lotus Boss, he would fire him asap.

Or planning another dig at Vettel.

#863 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 00:05

Hopefully he is doing more of this!

#864 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 00:42

Mute it, and cut out the topless Jacques bits, and it's actually a pretty good video.
Though really, you need to mute it...

#865 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:33

Where is Jv??

Probably planning his next attack on how bad Kimi is & if he was Lotus Boss, he would fire him asap.

Or planning another dig at Vettel.

It is his opinion, just like yours on this forum, although unlike you, he is a F1 world champion.....

#866 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 433 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:56

Hopefully he is doing more of this!

My ears are bleeding :(

#867 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53

It is his opinion, just like yours on this forum, although unlike you, he is a F1 world champion.....

Unlike my opinion, his opinion is shit.

Maybe you think a world champion can afford to talk through his ass. You only need to rewatch 2012 to realize mr.sour grapes who can't handle that Kimi & Vettel are better & more famous than him... Should keep his stupid opinion to himself.

Last I saw him was acting stupidly in Austin.

Edited by BackOnTop, 31 December 2012 - 11:25.

#868 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,374 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:54

Maybe you think a world champion can afford to talk through his ass. You only need to rewatch 2012 to realize mr.sour grapes who can't handle that Kimi & Vettel are better & more famous than him... Should keep his stupid opinion to himself.

Which 1xWDC are more dignified? :)

Alan Jones had reasonable doubts about Webber's ability, as paddock and other fans had until consistent margin over Pizzonia was established, and rightly said that crashing in Korea was end of chance of Webbo to ever win WDC. I think that's quite reasonable, all in all.

#869 kurski

kurski

• 262 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:25

Jacques Villeneuve moved Sport Garage (Ferrari 458 Italia) at GT-Tour Series.

#870 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 870 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:13

Why didn't he end up in a full-time ride in the V8 Supercars this year? From what I read he was very keen and willing to move here to do it then nothing came of it?

#871 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:51

I have to say I'm starting to believe now that Jacques racing career...from a serious racing perspective...is basically done. Considering his NASCAR career has been stalled for a while (something that still baffles me somewhat but dollars obviously talk...) I would have thought by now he would have committed to another shot at Le Mans. A serious, committed shot however....not just a jump in the car once before the 24hr...

Its the one title he needs to cement his status as a racing great of the last 20 years and, fresh out of F1, he was all over it. Not in a serious sense though...for that he'd need to get plenty of time in a seat and really commit to it. He was alrite in 07/08 but his lack of seat time showed as his speed was erratic. Sonetimes quick...other times not.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth. But with nothing on the horizon other than commentating, I reckon Jacques is almost done. And fair play to him, if thats what he wants...all the best to him for the next phase. :up:

#872 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 133 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:00

Well at least Jacques hasn't turned up racing these :) (check out the plumes of smoke!)

Maybe he just hasnt heard of them yet.

Jacques V. THE WORLD CHAMPION OF TUKTUK RACING 2016!

#873 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,622 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 20:59

New career?

#874 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,597 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 00:52

Oh holy!

#875 Les

Les

• 2,066 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 00:58

I never want to think about where Jacques Villeneuve is again.

#876 discover23

discover23

• 3,540 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:22

I actually think JV reads this thread and wants to keep it going on purpose...

#877 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,049 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:16

Premature... well... yeah. A bit of a surprise, but then again, it was less than a year after getting booted by BMW that he released onto the earth a music album.

#878 superstring

superstring

• 262 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:21

I actually think JV reads this thread and wants to keep it going on purpose...

:lol: :clap:

#879 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,597 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:25

Premature... well... yeah. A bit of a surprise, but then again, it was less than a year after getting booted by BMW that he released onto the earth a music album.

Which I actually own! And have listened to 100 times according to last fm. (That's not counting the amount of times I've had it on in the car O.o)

Advertisement

#880 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,049 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:00

Which I actually own! And have listened to 100 times according to last fm. (That's not counting the amount of times I've had it on in the car O.o)

I bought it too, and find as I'm learning French that it is quite educational, but for it requires well... dedication to really get through, much less truly enjoying it.

#881 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 870 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 00:37

Maybe he could try a rap duo with Eminem? :lol:

#882 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 146 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:27

If the Merc is a dog for the next couple of years, Lewis Hamilton can end up the same way, theres lots of parallels in their careers.

He did great things in the FW18/FW19 remember its a well designed car and he took full advantage of it. Didnt all Vettels Wins happen in the strongest car on the grid too? Lets see how good Vettel is in a non Newey car!

Cannot take anything from JV, he gave as all excitement in 96/97 when he took the fight to Hill and Schumacher who were both established drivers. Should have achieved a lot more in his career but was persuaded by Pollock to jump ship, he had a contract from Mclaren but refused and joined BAR

Edited by Fondmetal, 07 April 2013 - 17:39.

#883 Jimmy

Jimmy

• 382 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 18:46

If the Merc is a dog for the next couple of years, Lewis Hamilton can end up the same way, theres lots of parallels in their careers.

He did great things in the FW18/FW19 remember its a well designed car and he took full advantage of it. Didnt all Vettels Wins happen in the strongest car on the grid too? Lets see how good Vettel is in a non Newey car!

Cannot take anything from JV, he gave as all excitement in 96/97 when he took the fight to Hill and Schumacher who were both established drivers. Should have achieved a lot more in his career but was persuaded by Pollock to jump ship, he had a contract from Mclaren but refused and joined BAR

Agreed. I also think the events of the 2001 Australian GP affected him one way or another.

#884 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 148 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:57

He had a contract from Mclaren but refused

I didn't know that :confused: . More info?

#885 tom

tom

• 2,908 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:21

Jeez, people slagging off jv bigtime on here...you'de think there must be alot of double world champions on this forum or something????? :down:
think he did 2 races at nascar last year and was fastest in the 1st session of the weekend, at road america i think? he qualified 3rd and got 3rd, then at montreal he either got pole or qualified 2nd and was leading the race but had to save fuel and someone punted him off, think he got 2nd or 3rd. Not bad when the rest of the grid race every couple of weeks i thought...but oh no he's USELESS :drunk: :lol:

#886 CaptnMark

CaptnMark

• 1,011 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:39

Jeez, people slagging off jv bigtime on here...you'de think there must be alot of double world champions on this forum or something????? :down:
think he did 2 races at nascar last year and was fastest in the 1st session of the weekend, at road america i think? he qualified 3rd and got 3rd, then at montreal he either got pole or qualified 2nd and was leading the race but had to save fuel and someone punted him off, think he got 2nd or 3rd. Not bad when the rest of the grid race every couple of weeks i thought...but oh no he's USELESS :drunk: :lol:

IMO, he won NASCAR (the show) even if he didn't win the Montreal race.

#887 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,807 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 14:25

think he did 2 races at nascar last year and was fastest in the 1st session of the weekend, at road america i think? he qualified 3rd and got 3rd

He finished 5th, after giving Danica Patrick a tap (accidentally or otherwise). Piquet Jr was by far the quickest at Road America all weekend.

then at montreal he either got pole or qualified 2nd and was leading the race

He did lead until the pitstops, and didn't regain the lead until Danica had mechanical problems. Either he was getting rusty or perhaps Danica is a better road racer than people give her credit for.

but had to save fuel and someone punted him off, think he got 2nd or 3rd.

Considering he punts people every race I'm not surprised Allgaier gave him a nudge, and Villeneuve wasn't spun into a barrier unlike Tagliani. :p I'll give you the point about fuel though, the race was strung out needlessly.

Not bad when the rest of the grid race every couple of weeks i thought...but oh no he's USELESS :drunk: :lol:

90% of the schedule is not road courses, and most of them don't have decades of road racing experience in powerful cars. Allgaier was what, 21 last season and like most Nascar drivers grew up racing on dirt ovals. I don't see JV winning in other categories either. I wouldn't say he's useless, he's still got some speed there - just reckless. As far as Nascar ringers go, I rate Fellows higher.

Edited by Prost1997T, 09 April 2013 - 14:30.

#888 tom

tom

• 2,908 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 22:28

Yeah sorry if i got the facts wrong, i don't find nascar interesting at all, just remember taking note of some timesheets when i heared jv was racing a few weekends, i thought he did bloody well considering he'd hardly been racing. I always felt he was as quick as hakkinen and they had similar styles and could whoop schumi on their day, but didn't have the consistency like schumi. Drives like Hockenhiem 98, ,Monza qualy 98, Barcelona 99 were pretty damn quick efforts for the cars he drove then. And i was gutted he always looked so slow in the wet, there were a couple of races montreal 2000 and i think brazil 2002? when he was well down the field after a crap qualy and botched pitstop, but he was lapping faster than anybody out there, and gained 15sec on the leaders in the last 20laps on a soaking wet track. I know he had nothing to lose but just a shame it all went unnoticed.
I just always have thought he wasn't quite done yet and we wouldve seen atleast another f1 title from him.

Edited by tom, 08 May 2013 - 09:22.

#889 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:08

Red Bull should hire him to replace Webber. I bet JV would beat Vettel out of pure spite.

#890 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 870 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:00

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a real shame he didn't come over here and take on the V8 Supercars full-time. It doesn't look like there's much chance of this happening in the future now, either. Seems his full-time race career is over for good. :(

#891 jee

jee

• 712 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:52

Jacques will race Phoenix Racing's #51 Chevy SS at Sonoma's Spint Cup race in 2 weeks!
Kurt Busch finished the team's car 3rd in last year's race.

Edited by jee, 10 June 2013 - 07:54.

#892 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 6,928 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:53

AWWWWWWWWWWH YEAH!

#893 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:38

Train wreck, says NASCAR

#894 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58

Train wreck, says NASCAR

"It is seven seasons since Jacques Villeneuve's career in F1 petered out and 16 years since the last of his 11 career wins but he continues to have the desire to race …it's just that others are less keen on his participation."
ouch...

#895 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,020 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 13:16

Prolly the oldest thread eva to be revived again and again.

"Where is Jacques Villeneuve?" Die Hard thread/The Mummy thread. Neva dies.

#896 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 22:31

"It is seven seasons since Jacques Villeneuve's career in F1 petered out and 16 years since the last of his 11 career wins but he continues to have the desire to race …it's just that others are less keen on his participation."
ouch...

It just happened as I was scanning headlines this morning, that the NASCAR thing came up, and remembering the thread headline, I thought it is something fitting for this place. We need to remember that our dear JV had a lot of (negative) to say, mostly unsolicited comments, about Schumacher's return to F1, and now he is tasting the same.

#897 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 22:35

The most surprising thing I find is that this is actually news to anyone.
Been this way for about three years now.

#898 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,142 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 22:41

He lost his smile when he shaved his head. Coincidence? I think not.

#899 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 6,928 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 22:42

It just happened as I was scanning headlines this morning, that the NASCAR thing came up, and remembering the thread headline, I thought it is something fitting for this place. We need to remember that our dear JV had a lot of (negative) to say, mostly unsolicited comments, about Schumacher's return to F1, and now he is tasting the same.

What? JV isn't returning to anything, he's been doing Nascar races as one-offs for a long time.

Advertisement

#900 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 23:04

Don't know what you're on about here. JV was mostly positive about MS' comeback.