Where is Jacques Villeneuve?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
965 replies to this topic

#51 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,956 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 17:22

Originally posted by Josta
The person who started the thread clearly did care about it, hence starting the thread. If you don't care, then why join in the thread?

Well said Josta. :up:

Advertisement

#52 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 17:28

Originally posted by kinetiKid
What did you expect Head to say? The guy was completely embarassed by JV and Clear, who repeatedly showed him that his setups were destroying HHF. Head still didn't listen, so they would go behind his back and change the settings without his knowledge. I don't blame PH for being bitter about it.

I remember reading how Jacques Villeneuve ruffled feathers at Williams with his set-up ideas...

Just curious though, did JV "get his way" at Melbourne 1997 when he set a pole time 1.7 seconds quicker than 2nd placed qualifier, team-mate Frentzen (and over 2 seconds quicker than 3rd-placed M schumacher)?

#53 Atticus

Atticus

• 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 17:43

"He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him."

Jacques Villeneuve.
http://news.bbc.co.u...one/5262088.stm

#54 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 18:51

Originally posted by Atticus
"He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him."

Jacques Villeneuve.

um...people who have posted on this thread obviously haven't forgot him.

#55 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:23

Posted Image

#56 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:36

Originally posted by Atticus

Jacques Villeneuve.

Based on the article content, I would think that dear JV must be under medical observation; what a pathological crap the Canadian is capable off is unbeliveable.

Keeping the article for three years...? Seek help, man.

#57 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 571 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:58

Originally posted by MiPe
Based on the article content, I would think that dear JV must be under medical observation; what a pathological crap the Canadian is capable off is unbeliveable.

Keeping the article for three years...? Seek help, man.

I supported Schumacher in 1991, watched him win in 1992 whilst jumping for joy. It was very refreshing. I was then shouting for Senna to beat Prost in 1993 in his underpowered Mclaren but was still hoping Schumacher would mix it up a little. In 1994 I was in ore watching that first round in Brazil.. but for whatever reason the moment Senna left us Schumacher turned into a really bad loser and although I preyed he would keep Damon Hill from winning a WDC in the following years I much preferred watching Alesi win in Canada 1995 and Herbert at the British GP... he lost his class in the middle of 1994 and I think to be fair it was mainly because with Prost and Senna gone Schumacher had no competition and was expected by all to win.

My point being really... That I agree almost entirely with JV.

#58 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:58

There's a great Damon on Jaques article in the current Motorsport magazine.

#59 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 21:19

Originally posted by EvilPhil II

I supported Schumacher in 1991, watched him win in 1992 whilst jumping for joy. It was very refreshing. I was then shouting for Senna to beat Prost in 1993 in his underpowered Mclaren but was still hoping Schumacher would mix it up a little. In 1994 I was in ore watching that first round in Brazil.. but for whatever reason the moment Senna left us Schumacher turned into a really bad loser and although I preyed he would keep Damon Hill from winning a WDC in the following years I much preferred watching Alesi win in Canada 1995 and Herbert at the British GP... he lost his class in the middle of 1994 and I think to be fair it was mainly because with Prost and Senna gone Schumacher had no competition and was expected by all to win.

My point being really... That I agree almost entirely with JV.

I am struggling to accept, that relatively decent people on occasions engage in reading tea leaves while interpreting Schumacher’s life.

Schumacher is a victim of his own success which English speaking world cannot forgive him, as he deprived them of claims to the infinite British "greatness". These “paper tiger professionals”, masqueraded for a decade through F1 paddock, and shouting far too often pointlessly, loudly and hopelessly, without reasons or facts; that's how they treated one of the greatest of all times for most of his career. If you doubt me, recall Monaco and joy of masses that had followed, when Schumacher emerged from tunnel with a damaged car. Crowd decided immediately it was his fault, without knowing or searching for clues and evidence. How low one can get...
Only a few insiders like Brawn, Schumacher, JT, and perhaps his racing engineer would know the truth who was Michael Schumacher, a racer, and they aren't talking. Until that happens, I can only shrug my shoulders over various personal opinions, as there is nothing new of substance one can bring to the table without insider's help and contribution. Needless to say, that an insider needs credibility, which not all former employees have. Next to his wife, there is probably less than five people who know the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Advertisement

#60 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,199 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 22:34

I am struggling to accept, that relatively decent people on occasions engage in reading tea leaves while interpreting Schumacher’s life.

Schumacher is a victim of his own success which English speaking world cannot forgive him, as he deprived them of claims to the infinite British "greatness". These “paper tiger professionals”, masqueraded for a decade through F1 paddock, and shouting far too often pointlessly, loudly and hopelessly, without reasons or facts; that's how they treated one of the greatest of all times for most of his career. If you doubt me, recall Monaco and joy of masses that had followed, when Schumacher emerged from tunnel with a damaged car. Crowd decided immediately it was his fault, without knowing or searching for clues and evidence. How low one can get...
Only a few insiders like Brawn, Schumacher, JT, and perhaps his racing engineer would know the truth who was Michael Schumacher, a racer, and they aren't talking. Until that happens, I can only shrug my shoulders over various personal opinions, as there is nothing new of substance one can bring to the table without insider's help and contribution. Needless to say, that an insider needs credibility, which not all former employees have. Next to his wife, there is probably less than five people who know the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

:up:

That Monaco 2004 incident tells it all about how he was treated by the media, especially the British media.
The journalists were literally jumping for joy in the press room as he crashed. How fair and unbiased those fellows could be with him in their articles when they had such strong feelings against him? Think about that!

Yes, he made mistakes, but ask yourself if other drivers weren't let get away much more lightly for similar mistakes...

#61 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,337 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 23:03

http://thm-a01.yimg....f76d5fd1b7a0868

#62 Zippity

Zippity

• 228 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 23:37

Jack who?? :confused: :confused:

#63 santori

santori

• 3,964 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:37

Originally posted by Zippity
Jack who?? :confused: :confused:

Jacques Villeneuve. It tells you in the title.

#64 santori

santori

• 3,964 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:45

Don't you think much the same might be said of other drivers, like Jacques Villeneuve? Or Robert Kubica?

#65 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:13

Originally posted by santori

Don't you think much the same might be said of other drivers, like Jacques Villeneuve? Or Robert Kubica?

I am uncertain what deeper thought is behind your question, but if I think that I do understand what it is you are asking, than I would have to say make sure that you separate fan's comments on racing ability and form of a pilot, from assassination of his on/off track character. I used to be a fan of JV when he raced in Atlantic series. When he moved on to Indy racing, his anti-F1 and anti-European rhetoric was hard to take on occasions. Rest is history; one day he had showed up in F1 himself, got the seat in the best car of the day on the grid, but his mouth could not take a break. This was end for me. I just can't stand him.

And Kubica? Let me know when he does something exciting, and I let you know what I think. Right now his drive is pretty much big yawn for me.

#66 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 15:30

Originally posted by santori

I don't think there is a single driver who polarized the level of bashing that Schumacher got from supposedly professional sources, sometimes for the stupidest assed things.

#67 jack_rabbit

jack_rabbit

• 170 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:20

He dream to be back in F1(the new one), still in contact with people at BrawnGP
stay tune !

#68 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:33

Oh boy; not again.

#69 Option1

Option1

• 13,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:37

He dream to be back in F1(the new one), still in contact with people at BrawnGP
stay tune !

Dreamer

Neil

#70 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 13:18

I read the other day that he was starting his own racing school. Sorry I can't provide the link. Maybe someone else can look it up and post it. Thanks. :wave:

#71 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 14:20

sad :

Posted Image

I love people who post something to degrade others but can't even spell :lol:

The correct spelling is "whine".

#72 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 14:41

:up:

That Monaco 2004 incident tells it all about how he was treated by the media, especially the British media.
The journalists were literally jumping for joy in the press room as he crashed. How fair and unbiased those fellows could be with him in their articles when they had such strong feelings against him? Think about that!

Yes, he made mistakes, but ask yourself if other drivers weren't let get away much more lightly for similar mistakes...

Murray Walker was always uncomfortable and embarrassed by his 'fellow' English pressmen and could never say anything but the truth as he saw it being the gentleman he was. i have heard Murray beat down Barry Sheene and Martin Brundle and others after they made certain comments about MS.

The only time he put MS down and I agree, and since this is the JV thread, was when he turned his car into JV when the Ferrari was failing in the lead. JV was quite polite himself about it at the post race press room.

As that famous Politician said "house orphaned children, give workers jobs, get the country back on it's feet but have sex with 1 sheep and see what people remember you for".

#73 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 14:48

1/ Couldn't care less.

2/ The same that made someone to start a ...... thread.

1/ You couldn't care less...

2/ But you came back to check again or to see that someone had taken notice of your couldn't care less post :rotfl: What an Ego!

#74 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,511 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 14:50

Hill says in a recent interview that Villeneuve lliked a stiff rear end (don't we all) but to a ridiculous degree, he took the stiffest roll bar Williams made and told them it was too soft. They made a special rol bar just for him nicknamed the 'bar of infinite stffness' which he put on his car.................and set to it's stiffest setting.

i know nothing about engineering but that degree of extremism can't be good, i would imaging this, along with the very small throttle travel he liked to use went a long way to explaining his poor wet weather form.

#75 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 15:13

Hill says in a recent interview that Villeneuve lliked a stiff rear end (don't we all) but to a ridiculous degree, he took the stiffest roll bar Williams made and told them it was too soft. They made a special roll bar just for him nicknamed the 'bar of infinite stffness' which he put on his car.................and set to it's stiffest setting.

i know nothing about engineering but that degree of extremism can't be good, i would imaging this, along with the very small throttle travel he liked to use went a long way to explaining his poor wet weather form.

Indeed that would account someway for poor wet weather performance but remember that ground effects cars also like to stay flat and that may have been his reason - low no roll = better suck.

#76 four1

four1

• 462 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 15:13

Didn't he elope with his no. 1 fan and lover, Gerald Donaldson?

#77 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 15:34

Hill says in a recent interview that Villeneuve lliked a stiff rear end (don't we all) but to a ridiculous degree, he took the stiffest roll bar Williams made and told them it was too soft. They made a special rol bar just for him nicknamed the 'bar of infinite stffness' which he put on his car.................and set to it's stiffest setting.

But it worked for him...although he was nothing special in the rain you are correct.

#78 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 16:57

I read the other day that he was starting his own racing school. Sorry I can't provide the link. Maybe someone else can look it up and post it. Thanks. :wave:

Indeed, it was covered in Autosport GV section.

#79 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 17:35

Indeed that would account someway for poor wet weather performance but remember that ground effects cars also like to stay flat and that may have been his reason - low no roll = better suck.

Jacques never raced a ground effects car. That was his dad 15 years earlier.

Advertisement

#80 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 18:22

As DLaw said, autosport reported it a couple of days ago: http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/74965

#81 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 20:06

Didn't he elope with his no. 1 fan and lover, Gerald Donaldson?

Well I have read "Villeneuve: My First Season in Formula 1" several times and it's an excellent read. I do admire Jacques a lot, I just don't think he was cut out for BAR - he was never the type of character to rally a team like Schumacher did at Ferrari or Senna especially at McLaren.

He should have realised that quickly and got himself another seat while he still could.

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/0002187663

#82 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 20:21

Jacques Villeneuve.

""Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. "

Riiiiiight....

#83 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,681 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:06

CV tells you how good you were, not how good you are. There is a big difference when it comes to JV.

And I don't think he is any worse now as a driver. He's not old enought to have lost fitness and reactions and you just don't loose talent I believe. I think it's more about finding something to enjoy and be motivated for and have the resources to do something with. I am not sure but I think a good, competitive deal in NASCAR could reignite what Villeneuve obviously has shown previously in his career. But I'm not sure he might be able to get such a deal.

Therefore I really think it's a shame he didn't put more effort into the Peugeot Le Mans-deal, I think with committement he could have been awesome there. But with a family and based in North America I guess that was just no possible.

I wish him all the best though - I think he is an exciting driver and character that we need more of in racing, not less of.

#84 Mat

Mat

• 7,677 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:42

JV has done really well with Peugeot, a 3rd and a 2nd place so far i believe. It seems to suit him.

On the other hand, he seems to struggle alot in the Speedcar series. I thought he was due to compete in the entire speedcar series this year?

#85 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:37

JV has done really well with Peugeot, a 3rd and a 2nd place so far i believe. It seems to suit him.

On the other hand, he seems to struggle alot in the Speedcar series. I thought he was due to compete in the entire speedcar series this year?

and he won SPA 1000kms last year, despite driving with flu

#86 jack_rabbit

jack_rabbit

• 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:26

here the view of JV on the propect to returning in Formula 1

http://www.ruefronte...euve-retour-f-1

no discussion yet, talk to Jock Clear and he told him that the new F1 will suit him perfectly
probably just a dream now, but not to dismiss completly, the USF1 temas will be a strong possibily if...
Still focusing on the Nascar, probably he will race before the nationwide Race in Montreal, at Sonoma in june.

#87 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,407 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 18:24

I'd pay good money to see him race for $1 per year and podium once in while, even win.

I'm the same age as him and I'm not as sharp as I used to be. I quit sportbikes since i can'r seem to find my "off" button. Part of me wants to see a return to when a guy near 40 or 40+ can competitively drive an F1 car.

I still recall Mansell's win at the Milwaukee Mile on his 40th...

#88 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 18:28

I'd pay good money to see him race for $1 per year and podium once in while, even win.

I'm the same age as him and I'm not as sharp as I used to be. I quit sportbikes since i can'r seem to find my "off" button. Part of me wants to see a return to when a guy near 40 or 40+ can competitively drive an F1 car.

I still recall Mansell's win at the Milwaukee Mile on his 40th...

I would like to see Schumacher come back

Even at his age he would still kick everyone's ass on track bar maybe Hamilton

#89 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 14,251 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 18:30

here the view of JV on the propect to returning in Formula 1

http://www.ruefronte...euve-retour-f-1

no discussion yet, talk to Jock Clear and he told him that the new F1 will suit him perfectly
probably just a dream now, but not to dismiss completly, the USF1 temas will be a strong possibily if...
Still focusing on the Nascar, probably he will race before the nationwide Race in Montreal, at Sonoma in june.

Slategray is that you? :eek:

#90 Option1

Option1

• 13,349 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 19:34

Where's Jacqo?

Neil

#91 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 21:01

and he won SPA 1000kms last year, despite driving with flu

Nobody can drive with flu. You mean a cold.

#92 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,397 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 21:06

Nobody can drive with flu. You mean a cold.

Really?

"It's great that we are starting to improve but this has been a very unlucky weekend so far for me," said the Italian. "I'm struggling with the flu and I am completely blocked up. When I started qualifying the balance and tyres felt okay and even though I had a lot of traffic in both sessions I still managed to do good laps.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/50630

#93 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 21:31

For whatever reason peugeot dropped him from the line up, either he wants to concentrate on getting a deal in NASCAR or what.

But, even with Green on board, he is not going anywhere, and please don't get into those Speedcar again.

#94 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 22:44

Really?

"It's great that we are starting to improve but this has been a very unlucky weekend so far for me," said the Italian. "I'm struggling with the flu and I am completely blocked up. When I started qualifying the balance and tyres felt okay and even though I had a lot of traffic in both sessions I still managed to do good laps.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/50630

"blocked up" sounds like a cold to me. Many people confuse the two.

#95 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 00:28

Same thing happened in 2006 , and that time it extended to the officials.

If I was Michael , I'd have told F1 to '**** off' ( or it's German equivalent ).

#96 dimoose

dimoose

• 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:26

I really hope he races at Bathurst one year.

#97 Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia

• 212 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:45

For whatever reason peugeot dropped him from the line up, either he wants to concentrate on getting a deal in NASCAR or what

they dropped him cause he was shit in the car

#98 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 15:39

they dropped him cause he was shit in the car

Really?

#99 Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia

• 212 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 19:34

Yes, he was always the slowest of the Pug drivers and at Le Mans he was terrible

Advertisement

#100 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 23:00

Well, JV is racing at the 12h Spa this weekend.

http://www.auto123.c...pa?artid=108114

And, some Canadian tire stock car series later this month, O dear.

http://www.auto123.c...ce?artid=108008

Edited by DLaw, 03 June 2009 - 23:05.