Photo

Media bias over Hamilton

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Welsh

Welsh

• 599 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:22

Once again in the autosport magazine - their race report - Edd Straw on rating the drivers - he give Lewis Hamilton a 9 whilst Heidfeld only gets an 8?

wtf

Even though Heidfeld started 10th and finished 2nd compared to Hamilton start 12th and finished 7th. and Glock only gets an 8 even though he started and finished 3rd.

Advertisement

#2 trenchcoat

trenchcoat

• 453 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:24

I'm off to get some ice cream and coke

#3 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:26

Originally posted by Welsh
Once again in the autosport magazine - their race report - Edd Straw on rating the drivers - he give Lewis Hamilton a 9 whilst Heidfeld only gets an 8?

wtf

Even though Heidfeld started 10th and finished 2nd compared to Hamilton start 12th and finished 7th. and Glock only gets an 8 even though he started and finished 3rd.

Yeh but what you gonna do? :rolleyes:

#4 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:34

wtf

You have to watch the race not just look at the placings. Hamilton was in front of Heidfeld and driving away until a sticking rear/hubcap problem gave him a slow pitstop, then got past again with a great reaction pass when Heidi made a mistake and ran wide. Tim had a great strategy, you couldn't separate that advantage from his driving but he looked a bit ragged at times sliding past the apex and depending on Webber to keep his front wing on. I thought Lewis' driving was the best on the day, given that with Jense you couldn't separate his driving from his car.

#5 Welsh

Welsh

• 599 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:41

oh ta for that sensible reply.

#6 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:01

The most biased F1 website is planet-f1.com, but it's Internet tabloid and I don't think anyone here take what they have to say for real...

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:10

Reminds me of Scratchy's xylophone ribs.

#8 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,838 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:39

Lewis got 9 for a spin in the wet, it was mistaken for him doing doughnuts and the judge gave 9 out of 10 so he won.....

#9 button_sw

button_sw

• 58 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:11

Originally posted by Phucaigh
Lewis got 9 for a spin in the wet, it was mistaken for him doing doughnuts and the judge gave 9 out of 10 so he won.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very Funny!

#10 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:30

I don't think they're necessarily pro-Hamilton, but I do think Autosport, or whoever writes those ratings, has an anti-Heidfeld bias.

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,277 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:32

Well he just kinda sat there all race. Nice result, but he was helped a hell of a lot by the weather whereas other people made things happen for themselves.

#12 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:47

Yes, but he made an inspired decision to stay out when his team was calling him in as the deluge started.

I felt his 5/10 rating for Melbourne was a little mean also, given that he was taken out at the first corner through no fault of his own.

#13 LB

LB

• 12,540 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:48

Heidfeld was really really lucky he basically stayed out on full wets while everyone else did an inter stop then a full wet stop. His tyres were gone completely, in fact he barely made it to the grid again after the red flag. Spinning under yellow on the way round. Glock passed him into the first corner on the lap after the result was taken I think he was second for about 200 yards and in that 200 yards he managed to pass the start finish line on the exact lap required! Incidently Red Bull threw the race away by pitting Webber for inters one lap then wets the next had he just stayed on wets for one more lap and watched the heavens open he would have won!

#14 Racing Dutchman

Racing Dutchman

• 542 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:51

Originally posted by potmotr
I don't think they're necessarily pro-Hamilton, but I do think Autosport, or whoever writes those ratings, has an anti-Heidfeld bias.

Anti-german, not just anti-heidfeld.
Altough after the Glock-Hammy incident in Brazil 2008, they were suddenly very defendant for Glock (that didn't raise my suprise-o-meter ;) )

#15 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:08

oh ta for that sensible reply.

inb4shitsto-

Wait what? :confused:

#16 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:11

Originally posted by LB
Incidently Red Bull threw the race away by pitting Webber for inters one lap then wets the next had he just stayed on wets for one more lap and watched the heavens open he would have won!

Couldn't wish for a nicer bloke to get it, but I hope his first win is worth the full 10 points. Like Button '06. This might be doable as the Newey chassis seems competant in the wet.

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:14

Originally posted by Racing Dutchman

Anti-german, not just anti-heidfeld.

So, Seb Vettel's from Milton Keynes is he?

#18 irish_sean69

irish_sean69

• 82 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:17

Originally posted by undersquare

You have to watch the race not just look at the placings. Hamilton was in front of Heidfeld and driving away until a sticking rear/hubcap problem gave him a slow pitstop, then got past again with a great reaction pass when Heidi made a mistake and ran wide. Tim had a great strategy, you couldn't separate that advantage from his driving but he looked a bit ragged at times sliding past the apex and depending on Webber to keep his front wing on. I thought Lewis' driving was the best on the day, given that with Jense you couldn't separate his driving from his car.

Must agree

#19 El_CapitŠn

El_CapitŠn

• 564 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:35

There is media bias in every country.

One of Autosport's "finest" wrote a very unpleasant doom-and-gloom prediction of Alonso's career many months ago. This was before Alonso brought the car back to the 3rd row. Lo and behold a couple of weeks later Alonso wins at Singapore, Fuji and does very well for himself.

Talk about being able to see the future.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:42

Originally posted by ensign14

Solihull I thought, what with that Brum accent.

#21 tamburello1

tamburello1

• 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:50

Autosport is ok for news, but their "expert" columnists are knobs.

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,277 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:51

Originally posted by El_Capit√°n
There is media bias in every country.

One of Autosport's "finest" wrote a very unpleasant doom-and-gloom prediction of Alonso's career many months ago. This was before Alonso brought the car back to the 3rd row. Lo and behold a couple of weeks later Alonso wins at Singapore, Fuji and does very well for himself.

Talk about being able to see the future.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Uh, that's an opinion. Not necessarily a bias.

#23 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 13:55

Originally posted by potmotr
Yes, but he made an inspired decision to stay out when his team was calling him in as the deluge started.

I felt his 5/10 rating for Melbourne was a little mean also, given that he was taken out at the first corner through no fault of his own.

I must admit I thought in Melbourne Heidfeld played as big a part as anyone. Taking the first corner apex from wide outside is always likely to collect cars inside and not quite abreast. It was such an assumption that only Webber was inside him, and always likely to be race-ending if that assumption was wrong. Bad judgement I thought.

#24 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 14:18

Originally posted by tamburello1

Mark Hughes? :eek:

#25 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 16:00

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Uh, that's an opinion. Not necessarily a bias.

bias opinion? :smoking:

#26 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 16:26

Originally posted by tamburello1

Speaking of autosport columnists, DC lasted long, didn't he?

#27 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,947 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 16:29

wtf

So if someone started last, all 19 other cars crashed at the first corner, that driver should get a 10?

Agree with the ratings or not, but I think they take into consideration a little more context than number of positions gained.

That said, for me, Heidfelds patience not to ruin his wets was an excellent piece of driving.

#28 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:00

Originally posted by Blythy

Speaking of autosport columnists, DC lasted long, didn't he?

Just finished reading autosport now. Why isn't DC's column in it?

With regards to bias towards Lewis, Tony Dodgins certainly doesn't have any love for Lewis and his dad after what they did to Davey.

#29 metz

metz

• 9,722 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:09

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Well he (NH) just kinda sat there all race. Nice result, but he was helped a hell of a lot by the weather whereas other people made things happen for themselves.

Ross, I expected better from you. :(
Everyone knows that he followed his strategy to the letter.
Fueled very heavy to go to lap 29 and count on rain, which was a high probability.
The fact that the plan worked is not just luck, its a good plan and he executed it flawlessly.
He managed to keep Vettel and Hamilton in much faster and lighter cars behind him for 9 laps.
If weaving through a field of 11 others is just sitting there, well :rolleyes:
Some others sure made things happen for themselves, like extra pit stops.
The fact is that the BMW is currently the 5th ranked car on the grid and Heidfeld knows how to get the maximum out of it. Winning from pole is reserved for faster cars.
In another thread you thought he deserved it.
Is this just another example of you taking the opposing view?

#30 Montoya1

Montoya1

• 571 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:20

Originally posted by Josta

Tony Dodgins certainly doesn't have any love for Lewis and his dad after what they did to Davey.

Which was what, exactly?

#31 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:36

Originally posted by Montoya1

Which was what, exactly?

"Anthony Hamilton, furious at worldwide headlines proclqaiming his son a liar, phoned Max Mosley and allegedly said they were prepared to walk from f1 over it. And so, late on friday, Hamilton made use of thr FIA press room to appologise.

"Lewis has bravely sat before the media and confessed his guilt", Whitmarsh said later.

Brave? To admit a huge mistake then say "wasn't me gov" and publicly blame a decent, diligent bloke who has been a mainstay of McLaren for 35 years...

It was "save my skin time" and Lewis laid it on thick.

"

An exert from Dodgins article and I agree. Anthony and Lewis were perfectly happy to screw davey and the team to protect the marketing appeal of Lewis TM, who lied even in the face of audio evidence.

#32 turin

turin

• 3,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:46

amen bro ^

#33 rye&ginger

rye&ginger

• 231 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:56

This is just general comment about F1, but the media has much less insight to add to what we get from the race commentators. Any seasoned race fan can form a comparable opinion on what has gone on.

This is different from other sports, where a former footballer's/hockey player's/etc.. opinion can be quite insightful.

for this reason I just read the F1 news, never the editorial content.

#34 Racing Dutchman

Racing Dutchman

• 542 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 17:57

Originally posted by ensign14

Just wait until he gets older and isn't the young dog whitout threat anymore.

As soon as Vettel gets a topdrive and starts challenging for championships he will get the media on him, every mistake he makes.

I remember people always making drama about the demolition style racing Schumi sometimes practised (which he did, no discussion there), and therefore saying he is not on the same level of.... say Senna and Prost.

Who if i remember happened to do some demolition racing for WDC's to.

Hamilton isn't exactly shy of agressive driving either, so expect the same shitstorm drama for Hammy from Marca and forummers in the comming years

Moral of the story: they will always bitch eventually just to bitch (if you don't believe me, check the "Kimi ate icecream" topic)

Marca is that enemy for Hamilton
Autosport and F1racing are those enemies for Germans (including British commentators)
Italian newspapers are those enemies for any non-Italians who in their view screwed up at Ferrari