Photo

Jochen Rindt in Hamburg, Germany and general thanks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tom58long

tom58long

• 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 19:48

jochen rindt is the man who brought me to f1 in 1970. i have little rememberings of seeing some tv-feeding about that season but can tell you that i came home from the ususal saturday-afternoon-football match, opened the door and looked straight at the tv-screen where the fatal of that september 5th was put togehter into a five minutes feature. afterwards (i was at the age of twelve then) i wanted to know each and everything of what happened there, before and afterwards. so it all began with that feeling about racing. evrery book, magazine or whatsoever was mine. and other people walked in. such as jackie stewart, emerson fittipaldi, francois cevert (not needed for a fifteen year old - but again a good reason to look for answers), ronnie and all the other guys. not beeing able to visit races "live" but just got shot by something. wow! i cannot explain. it´s like a myth. to be in love with racing to me always means to be in love with the people who race(d).

sometimes rindt was mentioned as a german driver - which i couldn´t understand because i knew (12!) that he was born in austria - but somewhen i recognized that he spent some time in hamburg. next to me. i made extended trips to holy racing places - i.e. reims is outstanding - but i never came across the idea of asking for jochen rindt in hamburg. so if anyone knows a little bit of it - just let this wonderful forum and me know.

i am a member of this forum since a few years. never ever posting that much but i spent reading nights away. i was absent for a few months - and lately i read so much about peter revson...another pesonal hero from my boyhood. and that encourages me to ask for jochen in hamburg - as we have so much info on peter here that you cannot find in any record.

thomas

Advertisement

#2 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 22:00

Originally posted by tom58long

sometimes rindt was mentioned as a german driver - which i couldn´t understand because i knew (12!) that he was born in austria - but somewhen i recognized that he spent some time in hamburg. next to me. i made extended trips to holy racing places - i.e. reims is outstanding - but i never came across the idea of asking for jochen rindt in hamburg. so if anyone knows a little bit of it - just let this wonderful forum and me know.

thomas

Hello Thomas .

Jochen Rindt was born in Mainz , Germany . He moved to Austria after being orphaned at a very young age and lived there most of his life . His mother WAS Austrian , and he lived there with her father . So yes , technically he is German , and I've seen this point of whether he should be listed as Austrian or German debated before .

There is an excellant article here on Jochen .

http://8w.forix.com/rindt.html

There is a good tribute to Jochen site done by a fan , I'll see if I can find it to provide a link if you like .

#3 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 15:12

Monaco 70. A day to remember.

My wife and I were seated very near S-F; Princess Grace and Prince Ranier were a few yards off to our L. Shortly after the checker fell, the crowd streamed onto the track, and I joined them. Within the next couple of minutes, I bumped (literally!) into Phil Hill, who was broadcasting for American TV ("Hi, Phil!") , and I was darned near run over by Rindt as I quickly snapped a Polaroid shot of him.

#4 Greatest

Greatest

• 164 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:53

Can you show that Polaroid shot to us? :kiss:

#5 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,120 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:38

Originally posted by tom58long
jochen rindt is the man who brought me to f1 in 1970. i have little rememberings of seeing some tv-feeding about that season but can tell you that i came home from the ususal saturday-afternoon-football match, opened the door and looked straight at the tv-screen where the fatal of that september 5th was put togehter into a five minutes feature.
thomas

Thomas, sorry i dont have the link to hand, but if you go onto you tube i think you will find either that tribute or one very similar - it was introduced by Heinz Prueller, (so its probably ORF footage). i dont speak a lot of german so i am not sure what he is saying half the time, but its a rather chilling piece - there is nothing gory - the accident is not shown, that footage is elsewhere, and for the most part its just to camera. it does show Jochen's 72 being brought back into the paddock on the wrecker..

peter

#6 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 15:33

Greatest, there's good news and bad news:

Good news: I'm certain that little Polaroid photo still exists. It was neatly placed into in a small album.

Bad news: It's "around here somewhere". I last saw it during the Reagan administration. (Living in the same house nearly 40 years will do that!)

I'll see if I can unearth it.

#7 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 16:50

I was 15 in 1970 too, and at Oulton Park for Jochen's last F1 race - here's the programme cover that he signed for me (just RINDT!) . regards JohnP

Posted Image

#8 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:11

[quote name='Slurp1955' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:50 AM' post='3611245']
I was 15 in 1970 too, and at Oulton Park for Jochen's last F1 race - here's the programme cover that he signed for me (just RINDT!) . regards JohnP

In 1970, my wife and I were in Europe, carrying on that great Australasian ritual, the "Overseas Experience"(OE for short), a several month(or several years sometimes) jaunt around Britain and Europe working where possible or necessary.

We were travelling South through Austria in a motor caravan, and stopped in Klagenfurt on September to cash a travellers' cheque. I went into a Bank and found in the banking chamber the "Jochen Rindt Motor Show" (or something similar in German). It consisted, as I remember of 2 Formula Two cars, Lotuses I presume, and 2 racing saloon cars , BMW's I think. Regrettably I did not take any photos - the camera didn't have a flash unit.

We continued south into Italy, and found ourselves in Bologna on 5 September, the day Rindt died. I can still remember the newspaper billboards and the banner headlines reading "Morte a 300 Kilometri" or similar, and the crowds of mainly young men milling around talking about it and arm-waving. Quite an experience.